Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You still haven't replied to the point that Harry isn't the Son of a reigning Monarch, nor the the eventual heir ?

What Circumstances EXACTLY, raise this wedding above others of identical or superior Rank ???

I think the fact that they are the only two sons of PoW, who is the next Monarch, is important. Especially considering the age of the Queen and it's not expected that Charles would be PoW for many more years. At the point, I think it's simply a technicality that they aren't the children of a monarchy, but simply grandchildren. The fact that both grandsons have started being phased in in state dinners and additional royal duties show that a transition has started.

This is really a terrible thing to say, and I really didn't want to say it. But if the Queen dies between now and when Harry announces an engagement, I really don't expect his wedding to be much different due to his new position as the son of a monarch. The only difference I would see would be caused by the fact that cost of a state funeral, a coronation soon combined with a wedding would place extra scrutiny on cost that they wouldn't want to deal with. And of course the mourning period.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he outranks whomever or anything like that. Just pointing out the fact that he's not a son of a monarch is more of a technicality at this point that it really wouldn't prevent a wedding at WA.

Last edited:
St. George's Chapel is magnificent and so completely steeped in history. I watched Edward and Sophie's wedding and I was no less impressed by the surroundings than I was when I watched the BRF wedding ceremonies that took place at St Paul's and Westminster Abbey.

Not only is St George's grand and impressive and historically significant, it creates an illusion of intimacy and romance that is missing from the Abbey and from St. Paul's.(JMHO)

I don't see how anyone can believe that if Harry is married there it will be some sort of "downgrade". I mean...seriously? Have you all seen the place and read the history of it??

Henry VIII and one of his queens (Jane Seymour) are buried there!:ohmy:

The whole world will be watching. What's the problem?

Fine it may not make an iota of difference, but I stand by my opinion.

Your response to everything that doesn't chime with your view ?

You still haven't replied to the point that Harry isn't the Son of a reigning Monarch, nor the the eventual heir ?

What Circumstances EXACTLY, raise this wedding above others of identical or superior Rank ???

First of all, so what if he isn't the son of a reigning monarch or the heir? I wasn't aware of any rule or even precedent that suggests he couldn't have an Abbey wedding? Secondly, I already pointed out that your logic doesn't hold up.

Harry is the 2nd son of a future king, he's also far more popular and has a bigger/more important role than Edward did at the time he married. Those are the circumstances and there aren't any other weddings that you can compare this to.

First of all, so what if he isn't the son of a reigning monarch or the heir? I wasn't aware of any rule or even precedent that suggests he couldn't have an Abbey wedding? Secondly, I already pointed out that your logic doesn't hold up.

Harry is the 2nd son of a future king, he's also far more popular and has a bigger/more important role than Edward did at the time he married. Those are the circumstances and there aren't any other weddings that you can compare this to.

Exactly. Abigail. Exactly.

Fine it may not make an iota of difference, but I stand by my opinion.

No poster's opinion here will make any difference. But it's silly to think that all factors won't be considered, including public interest.

Again, Abigail, I totally agree with you. The BRF is dependent on public goodwill and interest. To not take public interest in consideration on all things royal would not be smart on the part of the BRF.

St Georges is also the resting place of Harry's Great Grandparents, Great great Grandparents and his Great-Aunt...

Not only is St George's grand and impressive and historically significant, it creates an illusion of intimacy and romance that is missing from the Abbey and from St. Paul's.(JMHO)

I don't see how anyone can believe that if Harry is married there it will be some sort of "downgrade". I mean...seriously? Have you all seen the place and read the history of it??

I have, and I agree it is a lovely church.

But it isn't where the top-tier royal weddings (and funerals) take place, and everyone is aware of that. The Queen herself, and two of her four children, married in the Abbey.

I believe that no matter how anyone spins it, St. George's will appear to be a down-grade of sorts, despite the beauty and the history of the church.

Maybe some are put off by the word "chapel"...assuming it's some modest little place of worship? Because it's not a chapel in the mold of the kind that one finds on the Strip in Vegas:lol: It is grand beyond belief. It's as large as a cathedral in fact.

Ultimately it will come down to the type of wedding Harry and his lady want to have. If they want the Abbey and insist on it, they will not be refused.

Ditto St. Geroge's. It makes not one iota of difference to me. I will be watching no matter where it is. I love Royal weddings!?

So I guess I might be a bit of the odd one. I'm a huge Meghan and Harry fan. Also American. And I am actually hoping for St. George's. First it's beautiful and intimate, while also still offering a sense of grandeur and history. I think Windsor is beautiful. And I very selfishly, as a fan, want their wedding to be different from William and Kate's. I mean, there will be comparisons no matter what. The media will do it, royal watchers will do it. Just the way it will be. But if they get married at the Abbey the comparisons will be even more. And since I don't see Harry and Meghan having as big of a wedding as they did, I fear it will look lacking in comparison. Whereas having the wedding in a different location gives them a chance to put their own step on it. I'm not seeing a wedding at St. George's as being a downgrade at all. I think it could be quite beautiful and charming. And no matter where it is held it will be televised and there will be a lot of interest. I don't think the location will determine people's level of interest. And I actually think Windsor might be better able to control that and offer better safety. Anyway, just another view. In all actuality I hope they get whatever it is that works best for them and their families.

Oh, and I absolutely do believe that the BRF takes into account public perception into some of their choices. Maybe it's my political training but I can look at a lot of their choices, especially since Diana, and see the hands of PR all over it. Sometimes it's clumsy, but best believe perception does matter to them. They BRF did not make it this far by being naive.

St. George's will appear to be a down-grade of sorts

Since Monarchy and the BRF is predicated on Hierarchy, I think it likely that in terms of Weddings, that hierarchy will be maintained.. WA for the Heir and St Georges's for the [once] 'spare'.
In NO way does it mean a 'slight' to Harry and his Bride, it is merely a proper distinction in their respective roles in 'the firm'.

Since Monarchy and the BRF is predicated on Hierarchy, I think it likely that in terms of Weddings, that hierarchy will be maintained.. WA for the Heir and St Georges's for the [once] 'spare'.
In NO way does it mean a 'slight' to Harry and his Bride, it is merely a proper distinction in their respective roles in 'the firm'.

So you're a die-hard old-school staunch Brit then. At least I assume so.

I also see St. George's as a downgrade and I do feel that a wedding in St George's would be a slight to Harry and Meghan and seen as such.
And Harry's ancestors are also buried in the Abbey.

At least I assume so.

And you would be correct....As are the Prince of Wales and HMQ.. who will have 'the last word' on arrangements in any forthcoming Wedding...

They may marry at St. George's but again, there is no precedent for suggesting Harry is more likely to marry there because of rank. Of course you are welcome to list reasons why you think St George's is more suitable, just as others have their reasons for preferring WA.

Of course you are welcome to list reasons

Thank you for your most gracious permission..

Last edited:
It appears the issue for some is that a wedding at St George’s Chapel Windsor will be a lesser wedding for Harry. William’s was at the Abbey, Harry’s should be there sort of thing.

Every wedding is special whether it’s at the local parish or Westminster Abbey. So in that sense it’ll be good day.

For a couple for aren’t even publicly engaged, we’re a long way down the path here but I realise it’s fun to speculate.
:previous:Good points Rudolph.

I also see St. George's as a downgrade and I do feel that a wedding in St George's would be a slight to Harry and Meghan and seen as such.
Actually Harry's direct paternal ancestors are buried in St. George's: King George V/Queen Alexandra (great-great-grandparents), King George VI/QEQM-great-grandparents, and Princess Margaret (great-aunt).

Also buried in St. George: Among those interred there: Plantagenet monarch: Edward IV and Queen Elizabeth, Tudor monarch- King Henry VIII and Queen Jane Seymour, Hanover: William IV.

St. George's chapel is a very historic place of worship with long ties to the English and British monarchies. Married at St. George's-King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (Harry's great-great-grandparents and those royal family members that were already mentioned:ie Lady Helen, Prince Edward, Peter Phillips etc...

Last edited:
St. George's chapel is a very historic place of worship with long ties to the English and British monarchies.

Charles lst King and Martyr is also interred in the Choir of St Georges...

I do agree that this could be the perception (despite my preference for St. George's). And I also think perception does weigh into the decisions made by the BRF, at least to some extent. They didn't survive this long by not knowing how to read the mood and adapt where necessary. One need only look at the personal life of the future king to see that. The BRF knows exactly everything they do makes a statement.

I do think that if Harry and Meghan want the Abbey they will get it. I don't see them being denied that. Harry may not be "the spare" anymore, but he's also not some second cousin once removed. In the same vein, I do believe that if they go with St. George's or maybe somewhere else we haven't even considered, I truly believe it will be because that is,what they chose. And I also think the Palace will be smart enough and sensitive enough to make that clear. People will be looking for any clue to claim that Meghan isn't worthy or that the family disapproves. And I do believe that they are smart enough not to give them that.

And with that, let's move on from the wedding venues discussion. There will be plenty of time to discuss that when Harry becomes engaged.

So no signs of Meghan in London right now? I hear the show is on a break from filming.

LaRae

Every wedding is special to the couple involved regardless of the venue. There is no right or wrong. The size or opulence of a wedding does not guarantee the success of a marriage. A wedding comes & goes in one day, but the marriage afterwards is what matters. Weddings should not be a competition to see who can splash out the most. A wedding is a wedding whether it takes place at a registry office or a church.

Harry clearly has more options than his brother, and if he & his future wife decide to go with something different then that is their choice. They shouldn't have to compete with his brother. Harry's wedding will be special, regardless of where it takes place.

Jenny Packham's designs are awful. No thank you.
And I have to say I am a proud American as well.
Comparing Edward and Harry is moot. Different circumstances. Harry is the son of Diana and is wildly popular and Meghan being American will add huge international interest. Her being biracial will also do a lot toward minting the BRF as modern and inclusive.
And yes, pomp please, because this will be the last major wedding for a while.

I think a number of Packham's dresses are gorgeous.

Comparisons are not moot except to uber fans. Being Diana's son has nothing to do with these circumstances except to Diana fans.

Every wedding is special to the couple involved regardless of the venue. There is no right or wrong. The size or opulence of a wedding does not guarantee the success of a marriage. A wedding comes & goes in one day, but the marriage afterwards is what matters. Weddings should not be a competition to see who can splash out the most. A wedding is a wedding whether it takes place at a registry office or a church.

Harry clearly has more options than his brother, and if he & his future wife decide to go with something different then that is their choice. They shouldn't have to compete with his brother. Harry's wedding will be special, regardless of where it takes place.

The voice of reason:)

I think a number of Packham's dresses are gorgeous.

Me too...and again a reminder...any designer is going to work with Meghan to design the dress she wants to wear. It's not going to look like their other dresses they have out.

LaRae

Jenny Packham's designs are awful. No thank you.
And I have to say I am a proud American as well.
Comparing Edward and Harry is moot. Different circumstances. Harry is the son of Diana and is wildly popular and Meghan being American will add huge international interest. Her being biracial will also do a lot toward minting the BRF as modern and inclusive.
And yes, pomp please, because this will be the last major wedding for a while.

Bit of a sweeping statement maybe?
My sister was married in a Jenny Packham dress and both she and the dress looked absolutely divine!

Hey maybe she will use McQueen! That would cause comment! <G>

LaRae

Thank you for this. It is a pity that something so special for the couple is reduced to a competition. And it is the marriage that counts.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom