Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments re that Daily Fail article are horrible. It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan. They fear she will dilute the blood line and end the royal family and think she is attention seeking.

The Daily Fail and its comment section represent only...the Daily Fail and its commentors. We've seen time and time again that it's not wise to equate the opinions of that publication and its readership with the UK at large.

Just remember that what the commentators in the Fail say are not, in any way, any kind of a measure of what the British general public think. Those that comment in the Fail are a breed of their own.

Personally if there's a link posted and I see the words "Daily Mail", I don't even bother to click on it or read it. I refuse to feed that odious beast. :D

It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan

It would be a tragic error to mistake the crazed rantings of the Daily Mail comments to Public opinion in the UK. REALLY tragic. They represent no-one but themselves, and are an entirely self-selecting sub-sect.
The reality is that Ms Markle is an 'unknown quantity' to the VAST majority of Britons, and as yet they have formed no opinion on her.

There are approx 65 and a half million people in the UK, of these about 105,000 people sign up for a regular rant in the Fail. It's not just Meghan by any means, politicians, celebrities, other royals and their relatives, they all get it in the neck. IMO these commenters all just enjoy moaning about others as it makes them feel better about their own lives.

Just remember...Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. It applies to combox commenters too.

LaRae

The Fail's comment section represents deplorables and do not represent all of the UK. What concerns me the scandal of the day:. Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein. If you follow the news it's pretty disgusting; and every A to Z list actress has come out about her experiences. Meghan is part of Hollywood and I fear she'll be dragged into this mess. Publications like the Fail may be looking for a connection to get clicks and circulation up. It would be a test of H&M's relationship ( and I hope there is no tie) but if there is one the critics would push the queen to go thumbs down for the marriage.

Got curious and read the comments. One of the commenters says they read in the supermarket check out aisle ;) they are looking for a home in Beverly Hills with Harry moving to California permanently. Anything is possible. I personally think they will divide their time between two to three locations. :flowers:

I also think marriage is not a sure thing. There might be an 'understanding' right now but Meghan needs to live in the UK for a while sans anything official to get a taste of what she's signing up for, both with the UK populace and with Harry. Needs a 'shake-down cruise', I think, to know for certain. JMO.

The Fail's comment section represents deplorables and do not represent all of the UK. What concerns me the scandal of the day:. Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein. If you follow the news it's pretty disgusting; and every A to Z list actress has come out about her experiences. Meghan is part of Hollywood and I fear she'll be dragged into this mess. Publications like the Fail may be looking for a connection to get clicks and circulation up. It would be a test of H&M's relationship ( and I hope there is no tie) but if there is one the critics would push the queen to go thumbs down for the marriage.

Unless this guy has some sort of connection with the show then it is unlikely to effect Meghan. She's been living and filming in Canada for some time.

Further even if she was involved..she would be a victim. Not sure how that would be an issue for anyone.

LaRae

Unless this guy has some sort of connection with the show then it is unlikely to effect Meghan. She's been living and filming in Canada for some time.

Further even if she was involved..she would be a victim. Not sure how that would be an issue for anyone.

LaRae

:previous: Exactly.

First of all, Meghan is a mainly TV actress. Second, she has done absolutely no work on a Miramax film, nor does she a share any common credits with HW. Dragging her name into the scandal would be obvious clickbait and I don't think most people would give it credence.

And, as LaRae points out, the one with the mud on him here is HW, not his victims.

Even if she was involved, which I doubt, Meghan would be a victim. End of Story. I hope and believe the Queen would have compassion.

Thank you for explaining to me about the Daily Fail. I am an American, so of course haven't a read on how the UK perceives Meghan.

The comments re that Daily Fail article are horrible. It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan. They fear she will dilute the blood line and end the royal family and think she is attention seeking.

There are always people who criticize anyone who marries royalty, no matter who it is.

Kate was derided, called Waity Katey and her family was (and still is) subjected to all kinds on nasty remarks.

Same applies in other countries: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Monaco.

There is something about a commoner marrying royalty that brings out the worst in some people!

(Meghan is hardly alone: Harry's previous GFs all went through the same thing).

It is not until you read the comments of the Daily Mail and similar US magazines that you discover that people do indeed hate members of the BRF and, as she is dating Harry, Meghan as well.

Hate is a living, breathing, passionate entity, intense and unhealthy in its nature.

Synonyms: loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise,
execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile
towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be
able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder
at, recoil from, shrink from . . .

People that truly hate someone about whom they know little, have never met, and has never been seen to offend anyone, etc. are truly screwed up. There is no logic to their hatred and there is no reasoning with them. That Meghan should become a target of such hatred was only to be expected but 90% of people either don't know who or, I would speculate, care who she is, let alone that she could become royal by marriage.

Most normal people do not interact with "haters" and, on this forum, our moderators and administrators do an exceptional job of nipping any opening in the bud. The trick is to remember that they are not you and we on this forum are not like them.

There are always people who criticize anyone who marries royalty, no matter who it is.

Kate was derided, called Waity Katey and her family was (and still is) subjected to all kinds on nasty remarks.

Same applies in other countries: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Monaco.

There is something about a commoner marrying royalty that brings out the worst in some people!

(Meghan is hardly alone: Harry's previous GFs all went through the same thing).

I am not so sure that the reactions would be more positive if Harry would marry a foreign princess...

A lot of the comments are from abroad as well. For your own psyche, stay away from the comments because there are some miscreants out there.

The Daily Fail comment section appeals to a worldwide demographic who are sympathetic to people like t.rump. alot of the comments are from the us and some of them are sock puppets or people paid to represent a political viewpoint.

On another note, since we now know that Harry will be attending an event in Chicago at the end of the month, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he decides to visit Meghan before and/or after this event. I thought a visit was always plausible, since I don't see them going too long without seeing each other but now, it seems even more likely.

From what I have seen all the criticism of the Middletons has gone away.

I agree, if Meghan was a foreign princess, people would still have a fit.

:previous: I wouldn't be so sure about claiming the Middleton criticism is gone. Many of us here are well aware that it continues today. The DM is famous for fanning those flames.:whistling: It's all part of the game to keep the clicks coming. Also there are websites devoted to bashing and trashing royals and their families so the Middletons have their own sections on those sites.

Meghan and family will likely and unfortunately endure the same continuous and tedious types of articles that the Middleton, Ortiz, Donaldson, etc.. families deal with on a frequent basis in their tabloid press.

I wonder who Meghan's Matron/Maid of honor will be. Will it be Jessica or her other bestie, Lindsay.

She could go the Diana route and not have one. And does anyone know why Diana did not have one?

British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.

As a rule I stay away from the DF comment section and most comment sections nowadays. Paid trolls are a thing and it's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

The only reason I look at some of them sometimes is if I want to drink their salty tears and laugh at them.

Honestly - if Meghan marries into the BRF the first thing she'll have to develop is a very thick skin and a way of shutting out the hate. It's likely she'll never encounter it - as long as she avoids most social media.

And as for The Tig - I think the main reason she shut it down was because it was being abused by the media for clickbait articles. They were mining it for stories they could write - as if it was new content - but I think it just made Meghan feel hunted and also it was probably hard seeing her words misinterpreted so badly in their attempts to create "news". Imagine someone going through something you created from the heart over the years and picking it apart and then publishing it in ways you never intended. That had to suck.

Plus I think it became a distraction and a source of stress because everyone was picking apart everything she did and said on social media. I mean, with her instagram, folks picked apart her banana thing and even now they dissect her jewelry, shirt names, etc... I think she decided it was best to simply go dark to prevent that kind of thing.

I think she and Harry were really smart about staying under the radar - but her blog and instagram account became the ONLY way the press could print anything about her so she closed that door too.

Smart woman.

British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.

Who is James?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a rule I stay away from the DF comment section and most comment sections nowadays. Paid trolls are a thing and it's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

The only reason I look at some of them sometimes is if I want to drink their salty tears and laugh at them.

Honestly - if Meghan marries into the BRF the first thing she'll have to develop is a very thick skin and a way of shutting out the hate. It's likely she'll never encounter it - as long as she avoids most social media.

And as for The Tig - I think the main reason she shut it down was because it was being abused by the media for clickbait articles. They were mining it for stories they could write - as if it was new content - but I think it just made Meghan feel hunted and also it was probably hard seeing her words misinterpreted so badly in their attempts to create "news". Imagine someone going through something you created from the heart over the years and picking it apart and then publishing it in ways you never intended. That had to suck.

Plus I think it became a distraction and a source of stress because everyone was picking apart everything she did and said on social media. I mean, with her instagram, folks picked apart her banana thing and even now they dissect her jewelry, shirt names, etc... I think she decided it was best to simply go dark to prevent that kind of thing.

I think she and Harry were really smart about staying under the radar - but her blog and instagram account became the ONLY way the press could print anything about her so she closed that door too.

Smart woman.

What I fear is that someone would say something racist to Meghan's face while she is at an engagement. If Harry is there, it won't be pretty.

What I fear is that someone would say something racist to Meghan's face while she is at an engagement. If Harry is there, it won't be pretty.

That will not happen, judging by the response in Toronto people will be happy to see her. The racist trolls are on social media and they are not just from England but all over the world. Also they are paid foreign posters used to sway opinion similar to what we dealt with in the US and also Bots.

I highly doubt this would happen. Most people who would be at these events aren't that stupid.

But if the unthinkable did happen, Meghan would handle it gracefully. She's experienced racism before and probably has a way of handling it. For most people who are black or biracial (black and something else), we've developed skills to handle that kind of thing gracefully if it ever happened in polite society, etc.. which would be the case for any engagements Meghan would be present for.

She'll be fine.

It would be a bold person IMO who would say something racist to a royal's face when they've been invited to a charity engagement.

As for someone saying rough things to a member of the BRF when they are greeting crowds on a walkabout, there's always that risk. As far as I know it's never happened. The worst was a very eager young woman in Australia who kissed Harry on the lips when he wasn't expecting it and a man told Kate to her face that he was a republican, on one occasion.

People gather to see a favourite Royal, not to be nasty. And if it ever happened Meghan would just be trained to smile politely and move on.

Last edited:

As you pointed out, Kate, Autumn and Zara all had at least one adult. No reason to believe that Meghan wont at least have one. The poster was simply asking about a maid of honor (like Pippa was for Kate).

George and Charlotte are highly likely but James I don't see. If they go the standard route, 2 pages. The pages tend to be a similar age. If George is a page, I would think someone like little Charlie Meade is more likely to be paired with George.

I also don't think we will see a royal heavy party like Kate. Meghan has friends with children including goddaughters she is quite close to. And the Mulroney kids as well. I would think we will see a nice balance.

I would imagine Harry will for sure include George/Charlotte in his wedding party then whomever else. If there's 3 from each side (bride/groom) that's plenty big enough wedding party, along with one adult to 'mind' the kiddies.

LaRae

:previous: Two adults, as I assume Harry will have a best man as well. But the maid of honor isn't simply there to wrangle kids, she is there as a witness for the bride. Helping with the kids is just a bonus.

The Queen had eight adult or late teens (not children) bridesmaids for her wedding in 1947. Many royal weddings had young unmarried women or late teens young women as bridesmaids earlier in the 20th century rather than little girls.
Diana had 17 year old Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones who was only 3 years younger than the bride.
As mentioned above, Lady Sarah had two adult and one teenage (Zara) bridesmaid.
If Meghan has someone she feels especially close to-friend, cousin, I expect we may see her have an adult bridesmaid. It's not that strong or long of a tradition to only have children.

Last edited:
From what I have seen all the criticism of the Middletons has gone away.

I agree, if Meghan was a foreign princess, people would still have a fit.

There is currently a lull in the Middleton criticism as nothing much has been happening to spin a negative story. Pippa is now a boring married woman, Carole hasn't been pictured I think since Wimbledon. I'm sure the tabloids will find a story to twist eventually.

There is always someone willing to write and publish negative articles about anyone in the public eye-unfortunately that includes the people related to those in the public eye.

Last edited:
:previous: Two adults, as I assume Harry will have a best man as well. But the maid of honor isn't simply there to wrangle kids, she is there as a witness for the bride. Helping with the kids is just a bonus.

Oh yes I forgot William!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom