Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... He will marry in Church like his forebears and even if the ceremony has some personal touches it will be traditional Church of England.

Assuredly. I agree that M&H will follow his family's British royal traditions and protocol, even as they make sure that their wedding has all the style, substance and special touches that are meaningful to both of them. ?

Yes, beyond being her stylist, Jessica and Meghan have been friends for years. They have been photographed going to yoga and at events...

And with Jessica on a girls trip in Italy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKCLoRAgD2p/?taken-by=meghanmarkle

I would imagine that Meghan and Jessica Mulroney met sometime after Meghan's relocation to Toronto from L.A. to film Suits. Perhaps Jessica became Meghan's stylist first and their friendship evolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many, many royals who married outside the church.

Some of them married in a castle/palace, abbey or home:
  • John and Isabella countess of gloucester -- Marlborough Castle
  • Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou -- Titchfield Abbey
  • Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville -- secret ceremony, traditionally at her parents home
  • Henry VIII and Jane Seymour -- Queens Closet at Whitehall
  • Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves -- Palace of Placentia
  • Henry VIII and Katherine Howard -- Oatlands Palace
  • Henry VIII -- hampton Court Palace
  • James I and Anne of Denmark -- Old Bishop's Palace in Oslo
  • James II and Anne Hyde - Worcester House London
  • William and Mary -- St. James's Palace
  • George I and Sophia Dorothea -- Celle Castle
  • William and Adelaide & Duke of Kent and Victoria -- Kew Palace

Some of them married in secret and the location is unclear (but if it were in a church, there'd be a record and we'd know):
  • Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
  • Charles II Catherine of Braganza -- secret Catholic ceremony before the Anglican church wedding
  • George IV and Maria Fitzherbert

A number married in a private chapel:

• Richard III and Anne Neville -- chapel of St. Stephen in Westminster Palace
  • Anne and George of Denmark -- Chapel Royal (SJP)
  • George II and Caroline of Ansbach -- Palace chapel at Herrenhausen
  • George III and Charlotte -- Chapel Royal
  • George IV and Caroline -- Chapel Royal
  • Victoria and Albert -- Chapel Royal
  • Edward and Alex - St. George's at Windsor (note this was before television and they were criticized for having such a private wedding)
  • George V and Mary - Chapel Royal

Many, many royal weddings have been hidden away from public view. Of course, the Windsors transformed the royal wedding experience into a public extravaganza and I don't expect Harry's wedding to be small.

I would like to see H&M spend another year before they go ahead and get engaged, much as I'd like to see another Royal wedding. I've always believed the first two years are sort of when are a couple are in a bit of a magical dreamland, where the other person is always right and there is no conflict. But after two years, things calm down, and the couple is more normal with each other. But, hey, what do i know? I've never been married and although my 'significant other' is a ginga, he's also a cat!

I do think, though, if they go ahead, then it will be a wedding much like Edward's, in possibly the same place.

As for meeting the family, I don't think Meghan has met the queen and prince of wales. But I do believe she has met Gran and Dad. Yes, I know the same people, but have to look at it through different eyes. For Harry, they are first and foremost his grandmother and father. That is his relationship with them. Its natural, even if engagement is not imminent, that when serious with someone you introduce them to your family. Balmoral would likely be a great place to do it. The queen would be more relaxed and in her down time. More like Gran and not the queen. As casual a setting as you can have with her, gran or not.

I also don't think, if this is the first meeting with the queen, any proposal was made. While I do think he has her informal blessing already or this wouldn't have gone so far, I don't see Harry proposing until she has met the close family. The queen is included.

:previous: Reportedly, Harry also took Meghan to Birkhall in Scotland last September during hunt season, where she met Prince Charles for the first time, which I believe might be true. I wonder if Meghan knows how to ride horses? After she attended Harry's polo match in early May, there were reports claiming that Meghan was interested in learning polo, but that could very easily have been just as apocryphal as so many ill-founded media fantasies. ?

... I've never been married and although my 'significant other' is a ginga, he's also a cat!

? :lol: Of the four-legged variety I assume. The best kind. ;)

Although, Mr. Prince Harry seems like a rather cool cat himself, :cool: aside from his smoking habit, which I truly hope he's quit! :ermm:

:brush:

I do think, though, if they go ahead, then it will be a wedding much like Edward's, in possibly the same place.

Good arguments have been made for Windsor (St. George's Chapel), as well as a scaled-down Westminster Abbey affair. :D

Looks as if Meghan and Harry are more concerned at the moment with continuing to enjoy and to preserve the time that is right now still their own special love story. As Meghan said in VF: "... this is our time. This is for us... what makes it so special is that it's just ours..." Without the prying eyes of the public, and the over-scrutiny of the media, is what she seems to be saying.

Last edited:
Seems like Meghan will definitely be back for the second half of Suits (I wondered about it but the summer finale tonight made it clear her character is sticking around)

My money is now on late November- December for an engagement announcement

My bet was always on late November, early December at earliest. :flowers:

The decision to sign on for the season was made last summer. Her and Harry were just starting out. While she presumably could have negotiated to get out earlier, Meghan seems like one who is serious about commitments/work. The season will stop filming late November.

The thought she would get engaged when she was still filming the show seemed a ginormous stretch at best. Not even the security concern of pr once news hit, when on set. But she will also be expected to be the 'royal fiance' in London for wedding, and starting to learn her new life. Whether 'princess training' is a real thing or made up by media, people will be expecting some form. With her clothing line and tig shut down, once she raps up filming, her only obligations will be charity work. Work she can continue as a royal.

My bet was always on late November, early December at earliest. :flowers:

The decision to sign on for the season was made last summer. Her and Harry were just starting out. While she presumably could have negotiated to get out earlier, Meghan seems like one who is serious about commitments/work. The season will stop filming late November.

The thought she would get engaged when she was still filming the show seemed a ginormous stretch at best. Not even the security concern of pr once news hit, when on set. But she will also be expected to be the 'royal fiance' in London for wedding, and starting to learn her new life. Whether 'princess training' is a real thing or made up by media, people will be expecting some form. With her clothing line and tig shut down, once she raps up filming, her only obligations will be charity work. Work she can continue as a royal.

I always wondered if maybe it would happen before Invictus but I think you're right and your timeline is more accurate

Prince Harry has already met both of Meghan's parents, I would bet. Plus, no matter how much time Meghan has spent at KP with Harry, it does not mean she casually ran into the Queen on one of her visits. BP and royal protocol are rather formal even in this day and age, when it comes to meeting the Queen of England.

I believe the report that Prince Harry introduced Meghan for the first time to the Queen at Balmoral on September 3. It makes sense. Harry most likely has met Meghan's Mom on several occasions, and her Dad on at least a couple of occasions.

Will Meghan attend invictus games seems to be the big question as of now . Some reporters are sure she will and others not too convinced .
The way I look at it .. Invictus is something Harry founded and is so passionate about so am sure he would want his girlfriend by his side .
Moreover it would be in Toronto and if Meghan isn't there ... then it would raise eyebrows .

We used to see Kate around for the Sandhurst passin out , garter ceremony , Diana concert etc etc .

I don't know...I would think she would be there yes...but if she's not there could be conflicts with her filming schedule or maybe they decided to try and avoid more media that the 2 of them together would draw out.

We'll see if the VF article was prepping us for them to start being at the same events together.

LaRae

Whenever they do appear together it will be a big event so they shouldn't break their heads over it and just get the appearance out of the way!

Yes it'll have to happen and of course they know it....but you can tell they are for sure going to do things their way and not be pushed into it.

LaRae

Exactly.

I also find the idea of her being a "brash American" to be an exaggeration. Meghan is hardly as brash or outspoken (at least in a controversial way) as some suggest. From what I have seen, she can easily adapt to her surroundings, which is one the reasons I don't think she will have a difficult time adjusting to royal life.

I agree. And Meghan certainly has a number of British friends, as well as business-related interests in London that pre-date her relationship with Prince Harry.

For the past 7 years, Meghan has adjusted swimmingly to the cultural life in an English-speaking city different from her hometown of L.A. She surely won't have much trouble adjusting to British culture or to a royal lifestyle, especially not with her entertainment industry background, U.N. experience, international diplomacy training, and her friendships with high profile movers-and-shakers in Toronto, which pre-dates (albeit is likely partly connected with) her eventually meeting Prince Harry.

Last edited:
I read an article a few days ago that quoted a royal source as saying it would be strange if Harry traveled to the city where Meghan lives and wasn't seen with her. I share that opinion and think we will see them together, be it at the Games or just around the city somewhere before or after the event.

I do think they will see each other almost daily outside the games ...perhaps out around town (although from what we know people leave them alone and no one really has pics of their outings) ...at least 1 appearance together at the games. I will be disappointed if not.

LaRae

It would be great if they do step out together .
Even when she's in London she's not spotted often . I mean there are Photogs around KP yet no pics at all!!
I'm sure Harry n Meghan do step out together when in London ... either the paps are taking it easy or Harry n team r very careful .

Last edited:
I fully agree with a poster above. Let them live together first for a year. That is the way to really get to know each other and their quirks and habbits. A few weeks here and there when you are still head over heels will not do the trick.

I fully agree with a poster above. Let them live together first for a year. That is the way to really get to know each other and their quirks and habbits. A few weeks here and there when you are still head over heels will not do the trick.

I don't think living together is necessary. Commitment to your spouse and marriage is essential.

True, but you are only able to really commit yourself if you know what your marriage and life together will be like.

True, but you are only able to really commit yourself if you know what your marriage and life together will be like.

Meghan's life as a Royal Duchess would be nothing like her life as a live in girlfriend. There is no way for her to experience that prior to marriage.

But living day-to-day with Harry will.

Meghan's life as a Royal Duchess would be nothing like her life as a live in girlfriend. There is no way for her to experience that prior to marriage.

The experience she would gain by living together prior to marriage is who's Duchess she is going to be. Would you expect Meghan to commit to someone she doesn't know through and through, especially considering all that comes with it?

But living day-to-day with Harry will.

Exactly. By living together they can get to know each other further and thoroughly. That lays the foundation for a life together. There are just some things you can only learn about your partner when you live in the same house.

Please note that the last few pages of this thread have been tidied up, with a number of posts deleted or edited:

Back and forth arguments between individual members have been removed. If people wish to conduct a private conversation to argue specific points, they may do so by private message - it is disruptive and boring for other members to read such discussions.

Other posts have been edited to remove broken links or links to YouTube videos that only contain chat-show discussions. Such videos are readily available on the YouTube channel or similar channels if anyone is interested. However, for the purpose of what is primarily a discussion forum, such videos should not be posted here.

Members should be mindful of quality and content when posting links and should avoid posting links to articles that contain rumour, gossip and speculation. This thread is to discuss Harry and Meghan's relationship, not to debate whether a magazine article is true or not.

Finally let's not bring the circumstances behind divorces in the Royal Family into the discussion - such posts have been deleted too.

The experience she would gain by living together prior to marriage is who's Duchess she is going to be. Would you expect Meghan to commit to someone she doesn't know through and through, especially considering all that comes with it?

Exactly. By living together they can get to know each other further and thoroughly. That lays the foundation for a life together. There are just some things you can only learn about your partner when you live in the same house.
Plenty of people get married and stay married without having lived together first. In fact studies have shown that assertion to be untrue. Success in marriages has a lot more relationship to age/maturity and income levels than cohabitation.

Plenty of people get married and stay married without having lived together first. In fact studies have shown that assertion to be untrue. Success in marriages has a lot more relationship to age/maturity and income levels than cohabitation.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who get married and stay so without having lived together first. I am just speaking from my own experience and what my preference is/what I believe. I wouldn't want to get married without having lived together first.

And yes, I do agree that age and maturity also play a big role in the success of a marriage. Calendar age and emotional/mental age and the maturity that comes with it, for example.

True.
It might be considered dated today, but some conservative families would never accept living together without marriage.

Believe me, I know! :whistling:

Morgantic marriage is absurd, even just based on the fact that the concept doesn't exist in the UK. Morgantic marriages are not a concept ever adopted in any part of the United kingdom. They would actually have to introduce a new legal principal, to be able to use it for the couple.

As for the notion I have noticed a few people mention of William's wedding being toned down to a semi-state occasion for monetary reasons.....this is untrue. William's wedding was never going to be a state occasion. The only way it would have been is if his father had been king when he married. Only the wedding of a sovereign or their heir is a state occasion. William was neither when he married.

There is no way the wedding will not be televised and given attention. But it is natural it will be a smaller scale. And Harry and Meghan may very well appreciate the freedom to choose a location besides London. William knew it was expected. Harry and Meghan could marry at St George's or they could marry at one of the other royal estates. It really is up to them.

Edward VIII was not the only BRF to marry outside the church. He was simply the only one whose First wedding was outside the church. Charles and Camilla of course were not. I don't see Harry following in the steps of Edward. Nor are he and Meghan remotely comparable to Charles. Harry was not involved in the end of Meghan's marriage. Nor is he the future head of the church of England. Both reasons why Charles didn't marry in the church. For the future head of the church to remarry the woman he had an adulterous affair with, in the church, would not have been accepted by most. Meghan may be divorced but Harry was not part.
Thank you Countessmeout.

True.
It might be considered dated today, but some conservative families would never accept living together without marriage.

Believe me, I know! :whistling:

Oh yes, I know that as well. Then it's up to the involved persons themselves. Is it their life or their family's and/or are they willing to walk their own path, even if they have to depart from their family's point of view... It often involves the religious aspect as well, but that is a totally different discussion.

I am 'afraid' that my thinking is too modern for the likes of those and I can be quite outspoken about things I believe in. But I'm not alone in that :D

Three random thoughts re: potential Harry/Meghan wedding...

1. If there is a Dukedom given, would they be Duke Henry & Duchess Rachel (given names)?

2. Totally want to see little Mia in the wedding party. She cracks me up, and every picture of her make me smile.

3. I bet their post-ceremony party would be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom