Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, well, well. This thread was a bit of mess!

Please note that I have deleted posts regarding Harry's mental state as well as potential drug use as these posts were off topic and speculative. And honestly, I could probably could delete some more but its late. So don't be surprised if in the next day or so, some more posts are deleted by a member of the British moderation team.

Regardless, it's time for a friendly reminder of some TRF rules:

• Threads should remain on topic. If you wish to conduct a private conversation with another poster, please do so via the private message system or the chat room. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
Please note that this thread is about Harry and Meghan...relationship and musings. It's not about Harry's role during the reign of Charles, William and goodness gracious, George. It's not about who dumped who in the Cressida/Harry relationship. It's not about George, Charlotte and Baby Cambridge 3 and how old they will be before they start to have a royal life in terms of royal engagements and love lives.

It's Harry and Meghan.

Say it with me folks...Harry and Meghan.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
May I just say that I have always admired women who embraced their freckles and Meghan does. I like the air of positive energy she gives off in the VF article. I'm hoping that both Harry and Meghan get their happy ending, preferably with each other.

Just for laughs, I saw another Australian weekly mag my sister brought home with her. It had, among other things on the cover, a photo of Diana wearing her magnificent aquamarine ring and Megan wearing it on her right hand. I haven't seen anything else about it so I am guessing it was an excellent photoshop.

For all that, it is a gorgeous ring and it did look beautiful. The actual mag brought back didn't have the yellow surrounded shots but one of Diana in her fabulous one-shouldered aqua gown.

https://dev.magzter.com/dynimage/th...-australia-21-august-2017.jpg&h=300&w=250&a=t

While I don't doubt that H&M are madly in love, I just wished that Harry would also speak openly about his love for Meghan in an interview. The KP statement back in November never once mentioned the 'L' word, it was rather a request for the media to stop their racist & prejudice report of Meghan. Harry has been given many opportunities since then in interviews to talk about Meghan but he has always deflected the question. He shouldn’t let Meghan or KP do his talking for him when it comes to matters of the heart. She is now unfairly getting all the criticism for being indiscreet & somewhat desperate, all of which should have been foreseen.

Also now that Meghan has publicly spoken about being in love, the next time Harry is asked to comment about whether he loves her but he refuses to answer, how will this look? It will bring back memories of Charles being asked whether he loves Diana & him refusing to answer while Diana was the one gushing instead!

Personally if I was a woman in a high profile relationship & a man hasn't publicly claimed that he “loves me”, I would not do the same either! That’s just my two cents worth!

Last edited:
So he should 'gush' so you feel re-assured ? Ms Markle can obviously say what she likes, but if the Prince prefers to keep silent [to us] on the feelings of his heart why shouldn't he ?

Last edited:
I don't think a man needs to 'claim' a woman even if he's a royal. Imo I hate the 'she's desperate' label women get, if they talk about their relationship without the man by their side. I'm making a bold assumption, that Harry is fine with Meghan speaking for the both of them, and imo he doesn't need to speak for their love and relationship to be in fact real. Had Harry been the one to speak up, no one would call him desperate or question the legitimacy of his statement. But somehow it's less legitimate when Meghan is doing the talking.

So He should 'gush' so you feel re-assured ?

This is about Harry being given ample opportunities to talk about Meghan but refusing to do so. Him remaining silent while she takes all the heat is not a good look.

It is her decision to 'blab', and open herself up 'to heat'.. He who has had far worse experiences of the way the press works may choose to be more circumspect ?

I don't think a man needs to 'claim' a woman even if he's a royal. Imo I hate the 'she's desperate' label women get, if they talk about their relationship without the man by their side. I'm making a bold assumption, that Harry is fine with Meghan speaking for the both of them, and imo he doesn't need to speak for their love and relationship to be in fact real. Had Harry been the one to speak up, no one would call him desperate or question the legitimacy of his statement. But somehow it's less legitimate when Meghan is doing the talking.

Harry is the one that is more famous of the two. I think it would do a lot to take the heat off Meghan if he at least also talked about it. As it stands the bulk of the criticism is coming down on her.

This is about Harry being given ample opportunities to talk about Meghan but refusing to do so. Him remaining silent while she takes all the heat is not a good look.

Are you forgetting the statement he put out in November? What exactly do you want him to say, and when? Only times he has spoken to the press are official visits, his interview about mental health, and Diana's 20th anniversary things. Should he randomly make these engagements about his relationship with Meghan?

Eta: perhaps Meghan doesn't want Harry to take the heat off of her. She seems to be very capable of handling herself, the press, the attention, and doesn't need Harry to take anything for her. She's not some wilding wallflower, but an adult woman who's been handling the press for years. She's not going to melt due to tabloid heat.

Last edited:
The thing I like about the H&M pairing is that it doesn't lend itself easily to the "fairytale" meme for the press. I was already very familiar with Meghan as a Suits fan, and was stunned when I first heard of it---my first thought was how did they meet? As the narrative played out in the press with the mutual friend introduction, the common interests, the trans-Atlantic romance, I was presented with an unlikely but intriguing couple that is really together out of mutual respect and love.

The VF interview made me very happy because I believe it is an indication that they truly are committed to going the distance. My guess is an engagement announcement by Christmas.

It is her decision to 'blab', and open herself up 'to heat'..

This interview was clearly a joint decision by H&M. My point is that she is the one getting all the criticism & he needs to speak up so it doesn't appear one-sided.

This interview was clearly a joint decision by H&M. My point is that she is the one getting all the criticism & he needs to speak up so it doesn't appear one-sided.

He already spoke up in November.

:previous: He needs to say the "L" word so the balance hangs equal again. At least, that's what is implied here - I think.

What heat? as the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat (of politics or public life) stay out of the Kitchen. I don't know why she has talked but I assume it means that they are close to an engagement. I don't know why they don't stick ot the good old rules and say nothing until they do announce their engagement.

Are you forgetting the statement he put out in November? What exactly do you want him to say, and when? Only times he has spoken to the press are official visits, his interview about mental health, and Diana's 20th anniversary things. Should he randomly make these engagements about his relationship with Meghan?

Eta: perhaps Meghan doesn't want Harry to take the heat off of her. She seems to be very capable of handling herself, the press, the attention, and doesn't need Harry to take anything for her. She's not some wilding wallflower, but an adult woman who's been handling the press for years. She's not going to melt due to tabloid heat.

As I mentioned earlier the KP statement did not talk about them being in love. This is the first time either of them have talked about it.

This is not about Meghan not being able to handle it. She is nevertheless the one getting the bulk of the criticism. If Harry refuses to give interviews about Meghan, but Meghan is the only one declaring that they're in love, then naturally people are going to accuse her & not him of being indiscreet.

Last edited:
well she wouldnt get criticism if she had said nothing. True there are plety of people who seem to be hostile to her, but if she did not say anything, they could not fault her for indiscretion.

This is veering off topic. I don't think she's really looking for status based on two very obvious facts. First, she married a normal guy after a long relationship the first time and then she was involved with another normal guy between that marriage and this relationship. Second, she was caught in a fire question answer months before she met Harry. The interviewer actually asked her Prince William or Prince Harry. That's the one question where her answer gives the feeling like I don't care enough to have an opinion on this. She finally did say Harry because the interviewer was giddy about Harry. It was quite funny actually.

Great points. I also think it's worth noting that marrying someone like Harry comes with a ton a baggage, a fact that he has acknowledged himself. I'm sure he knows how lucky he is that a woman like Meghan (smart, beautiful, acomplished in her own right) has already shown that she is willing to take on some of that baggage. And I don't believe she would do so, nor would he have taken such a risk as releasing a statement on her behalf, if they didn't share deep, genuine feelings for one another. I really haven't seen any reason to doubt Meghan's claim of the two being in love.

Exactly what I was going to say. She is an adult who has faced much worse criticism than some naysayers not liking an interview. I don't think Harry needs to say much of anything until there is an engagement interview, which I don't think is too far off anyhow.

I think some feel that it's not Meghan's place to say anything about her relationship with Harry, for she isn't part of the royal family and who knows if she ever might be.

If anything must be said, it must come from Harry since it's his family and the likes she'll be entering if that will happen.

AKA knowing your place.

Sweden has had a kind of similar situation and there *are* some old-schoolers there...

Anyway, I don't mind one way or another whether Meghan speaks up. I like Harry and want him to be happy. With whomever that may be.

I don't think they've done anything wrong, they just need to ride this out. I don't see how this is any different than when William, Kate and Charles tell little stories about George and Charlotte, should they also keep quiet? MM is not royal yet so should the same quiet rules apply to her? Also what about when William was on a radio show talking about his "dad dancing".

I'd just prefer them to keep schtum UNTIL they announce their engagement...

In the age of Social media there is a failure to draw a line between the Public and the [deeply] Personal.

Last edited:
I don't see the need for Harry to proclaim the "L" word to all and sundry. In fact, I hate the expression "the 'L' word". Love is a beautiful four letter word that should be used as often as possible. One only has to take a look at Harry's face these days to realize that this is a very happy Harry that is in a good place in his life and its really not a big guess on just who is making him so happy.

Meghan spoke for the both of them. We've seen Harry out and about with the photographers and reporters gathered around him in N. Ireland recently. He wasn't being in any ways "secretive" at all about his personal life but rather he knew that just mentioning it would send the purpose of where he was, what he was doing and why he was doing it straight to the deep abyss of non importance. To Harry and Meghan, this recent (to us) interview and photo shoot with Vanity Fair is old news that happened months ago and they've moved on doing what they're supposed to be doing with their lives.

I think there will be gushing aplenty if an engagement is announced. I will also predict that if we're able to watch their wedding ceremony that the emotion between these two people will be as visible as they were during Victoria and Daniel's wedding. Harry is like that. I think we'll see it too should Meghan accompany Harry to the Invictus Games. Once they go public, its going to be impossible to miss. As I said, just looking at Harry's face and demeanor in N. Ireland radiated a man that is a very, very happy Harry.

They will do what comes naturally for the two of them in their own time at their own pace. We just have to wait, be patient and let this couple handle things as they see fit without expectations.

I don't think they've done anything wrong, they just need to ride this out. I don't see how this is any different than when William, Kate and Charles tell little stories about George and Charlotte, should they also keep quiet? MM is not royal yet so should the same quiet rules apply to her? Also what about when William was on a radio show talking about his "dad dancing".

William, Catherine and Charles are royal, therefore they can say what they want.
Meghan is not royal, therefore she should keep her mouth shut until there would be an engagement. If she has something to say it should be done by Harry.

That's the general consensus of those upset with her interview.

William, Catherine and Charles are royal, therefore they can say what they want.
Meghan is not royal, therefore she should keep her mouth shut until there would be an engagement. If she has something to say it should be done by Harry.

Exactly. It is putting strictures of status on a personal relationship between two people. I don't think either Harry or Meghan put their status or their bank accounts or level of popularity or who has the most freckles before anything else in their relationship. Tells me that this is a relationship where they will be equal partners in everything in their lives. That's a good thing in my book. :D

Nothing elitist about that...how dare the peasant speak without permission!!!

LaRae

Actually, it's better to just say your piece and leave it be. Some might feel this is not right and criticize her for it, but here are a lot that now know her and see her as a person. If he threw his piece into it now, they'll only be drowning in more controversy. And believe me when I say she'll still be blamed for him speaking out. It's unfortunately a problem in our society. Just look at how his statement was received in November. There was the initial shock he did it, but then murmurs started about how this terrible woman manipulated him into it.

And here I thought us common folks have the freedom of speech in this day and age as well! How silly of me! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
And here I thought us common folks have the freedom of speech in this day and age as well! How silly of me! :whistling:

In case you were thinking that I am upset about her doing the interview, I am not. I barely know her.
From what I have read she is used to media and then all of a sudden she should play stupid because she is dating a royal? That is character assassination.

But there are people here who have been upset and I only summarized the reason they probably have for it. The old school ways, you know.
Some think her freedom of speech should be limited because of who her boyfriend is, others think she should just remain herself.

Last edited:
IF her piece in VF was mean't to 'introduce her' to the British Public, why was a publication the virtually no-one reads here chosen?

'Tatler', British Vogue or 'Elle' would make more sense, as Women actually read them here

I think there will be gushing aplenty if an engagement is announced. I will also predict that if we're able to watch their wedding ceremony that the emotion between these two people will be as visible as they were during Victoria and Daniel's wedding. Harry is like that. I think we'll see it too should Meghan accompany Harry to the Invictus Games. Once they go public, its going to be impossible to miss. As I said, just looking at Harry's face and demeanor in N. Ireland radiated a man that is a very, very happy Harry.

I think you're on to something here, at least I've been having similar thoughts. :) I really hope Meghan doesn't feel a need to supress what appears to be natural charm. (She is quite charming from what I've seen in interviews.)The VF interview and bts video of her cover shoot gives me some hope that she won't.

Exactly. It is putting strictures of status on a personal relationship between two people. I don't think either Harry or Meghan put their status or their bank accounts or level of popularity or who has the most freckles before anything else in their relationship. Tells me that this is a relationship where they will be equal partners in everything in their lives. That's a good thing in my book. :D

A very good thing, indeed.

They wont be equal partners. She will be his support act, just as Kate is for William and Camilla is for Charles.. and Philip is for the queen.

It's okay for everyone to agree to disagree with each other. I'm glad the thread was cleaned up and it should stay clean.

We are in 2017 and about to embark on 2018, Gods will. The idea of the woman shouldn't speak before the man; just too old school for today.

I think a lot of this is down to outsiders feeling they know exactly how all royal relationships should be run. When Harry made his statement back in November, the media and folks online came down on him as well. In fact, some people felt like Harry was badly advised by his Palace team, and it was all done without the royal family input.

The Duke of Cambridge's backing was publicly stated afterwards.

These are mature adults in a mature relationship. They know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom