Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Markle will be the first 'sleb' to marry into the BRF [if Harry does propose, and she accepts]...
''

That is true, but the BRF has had deep blue blooded aristocrats like Diana who eventually morphed in a "sleb"...then you have commoners like the Duchesses of Gloucester and Wessex who sometimes out-Royal the Royals in their sense of dignity and decorum.

We will have to wait and see what happens with Harry's beloved. I have my ideas of how it will turn out if/when she marries in, but nothing (good) will come of sharing them here right now.:cool:

I like it, tbh. Meghan and Harry aren't acting like a ring on her finger would change her as a person. She's not going to be hidden in the shadows, she is her own person, has her own voice, even without a ring.

I don't think they've acted coy or secretive at all. Right from the start PH stated that Meghan is his girlfriend. They've openly travelled to see each other. Nothing coy about that at all.

But it has changed her. She's become less open. She shut down her website, stopped posting on twitter/Instagram, discontinued her clothing line and has given fewer interviews than in the past. And if she marries into the BRF, she'll have to be careful about the things she says and the causes she takes up. She'll also be giving up her acting career and any possibility of ever having a private life. I'm sure she feels it's well worth it, but we can't pretend that dating/marrying into a royal family doesn't change a person.

This conversation about Meghan's suitability is nothing new. Kate got hammered by it for years (not only from royal watchers but also by the media). Even Sophie had to deal with questions about whether she was a good fit. But just like Kate and Sophie, if Meghan marries into the BRF, questions about her suitability will subside and folks will find other things to criticize (like her clothes, or whether she does enough engagements).

Which makes me wonder just why exactly Meghan would be a threat to Catherine?
What does Catherine have that must be protected at all costs (against the 'claws' of Meghan)?

She's not a threat. This type of thing happens whenever there is someone new for the media/royal watchers to focus on. Diana was pitted against Fergie. In fact, when Fergie first came into the picture, she was seen as a breath of fresh air...the fun one. Next it was Diana and Sophie. Then came Kate and Chelsy and Kate and Beatrice/Eugenie.

This reminds me of when Michelle Obama touched the Queen. The Queen didn't seem to mind, but the people freaked out. :lol:
In fact, it was the Queen who first touched Michelle Obama, not the other way round.

Pictures:
Miss Meghan Markle's Portraits from the Vanity Fair Magazine-
The Royal Watcher

I hadn't seen the other 4 pictures. Beautifully done of course!

But it has changed her. She's become less open. She shut down her website, stopped posting on twitter/Instagram, discontinued her clothing line and has given fewer interviews than in the past. And if she marries into the BRF, she'll have to be careful about the things she says and the causes she takes up. She'll also be giving up her acting career and any possibility of ever having a private life. I'm sure she feels it's well worth it, but we can't pretend that dating/marrying into a royal family doesn't change a person.

This conversation about Meghan's suitability is nothing new. Kate got hammered by it for years (not only from royal watchers but also by the media). Even Sophie had to deal with questions about whether she was a good fit. But just like Kate and Sophie, if Meghan marries into the BRF, questions about her suitability will subside and folks will find other things to criticize (like her clothes, or whether she does enough engagements).

She's not a threat. This type of thing happens whenever there is someone new for the media/royal watchers to focus on. Diana was pitted against Fergie. In fact, when Fergie first came into the picture, she was seen as a breath of fresh air...the fun one. Next it was Diana and Sophie. Then came Kate and Chelsy and Kate and Beatrice/Eugenie.

Oh, I don't think that she's a threat. I was simply responding to two posters who expressed this feeling that Meghan is supposedly being seen by some as a 'threat' to Catherine. I wonder sometimes why certain persons can't just co-exist. Like Victoria and Sofia in Sweden. Victoria was The Holy Woman and Sofia was the Devil in Person who must be kept away from it all as far as possible. That was the mood at the time.

As for a possible engagement, I will only believe it when I see it. I don't think this interview indicates anything per se, it's just unprecedented.

Last edited:
Some of you need to stop being so negative! Harry is happy with Meghan and that is all that should matter here. Harry is dating her and probably will marry her and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Exactly. This was a carefully controlled interview by the looks of it. Meghan is being introduced to the public. Whether or not any one of us agrees on how it was done, does not matter. Harry and Meghan's relationship with the public and what they allow to be seen/known will be done according to their wishes, and through the advice of their PR teams.

We have heard ourselves that William and Harry are bringing the monarchy into the 21st century. Things will be done a different way. Some of us will be disappointed. It will never be the same to some.

I am over the moon ecstatic about this interview. She is a lovely woman. I could not be happier for the both of them. It's high time Harry is finally happy and ready to settle down.

I am not familiar with the term 'sleb'. What is it?

Its kind of a shortened version of celebrity into one syllable. :D

Kind of like the use of 'sup now to mean what's up.

Thanks.
To me it feels negative. Is it, or is that just my interpretation?

I don't think it has a negative connotation but it depends on the person's perspective and the context in which it was used. "The first 'sleb to join the BRF" could be taken negatively or positively. Its all in how the word is used. It would be the same thing as stating "The first aristo to join the BRF" or "The first commoner to join the BRF".

I prefer to not take it negatively. But that's just me. :D

Well, I agree that a meatier piece wouldn´t have hurt. A more indepth look into her charity work, or the future humanitarian work she wants to involve herself in for example. You can be controlled, but also too controlled.

Maybe this was just the intro into what's to come...I'm sure she'll be at the I.G. with Harry in a couple weeks....and then after that who knows!

LaRae

I have the impression that with the VF Interview she has no intention to marry Harry.

I have the impression that with the VF Interview she has no intention to marry Harry.

Can I ask just what part of the interview gave you that impression? I just don't see that at all in this interview. Actually, I don't think she would have given that interview if she wasn't planning on marrying Harry.

Well, I agree that a meatier piece wouldn´t have hurt. A more indepth look into her charity work, or the future humanitarian work she wants to involve herself in for example. You can be controlled, but also too controlled.

That's the difficult position she's in. If she said anything about future work, there'd be a lot more backlash for any assumptions. The writing seems to be on the wall that they will get engaged, but they aren't yet. It's a tricky position to be in. She's in a place where there is a lot of attention on her along with a lot of unfair criticism, and she hasn't been able to defend herself all because she fell in love. It seems to me that they realized not everyone will be happy with whatever she does, so she might as well do what she thinks she should under the circumstances.

BTW, I will say one thing. I've said from the beginning that while I love those two, I always thought it's a bad deal for her to give up so much for this relationship. However, now it seems that Harry has been able to support Meghan as a partner, and not just expect she'll support his role in his family. It definitely seems to be a partnership where both people are comfortable being themselves and support each to be themselves.

I think we're in the "wait and see" period now.

Thanks.
To me it feels negative. Is it, or is that just my interpretation?

TBH I wish she had not done it and I don't quite understand why she did it(the VF story and photo shoot).

Was it to confirm her closeness with Prince Harry, and that they are "in love"? Well, most Royal watchers can already see that they are indeed a couple. As for them being in love that will become clear in time too IF there is an imminent engagement, during which they will be encouraged to elaborate on their love ad nauseum as all Royal engaged couples are encouraged to do during their intro interview.

Was it to show people that she is stunning? Again, that is obvious.

Was it to introduce her (Meghan) to the world? Again if she becomes Harry's fiancee she will become a household name overnight. If she does not, well, frankly who cares?

Was it to confirm that she is a good cook...a "foodie"? See the last two words from the statement above.

I have no doubt Harry knew about it and was all in. I just can't for the life of me figure out the point of it, beyond a vanity fluff piece showcasing his girlfriend.

But no, I don't think of it(the interview) as a disqualifying deal breaker, just odd.

Last edited:
Was it to introduce her (Meghan) to the world? Again if she becomes Harry's fiancee she will become a household name overnight. If she does not, well, frankly who cares?

I think we live in our own bubble here on royal forum. Quite frankly, other than those who are royal watchers or Suits fans, I'm not sure how much people know about her. Unfortunately, being that she was already a public figure and has some complicated family history, there has been some pretty nasty and unfair things that's been said about her from estranged family members. The moment an engagement is announced, those quotes will be used again to present who she is as a person other than Prince Harry's fiancee. And the thing with media these days is that those first words becomes facts. It'd be too late to get in front of it by then. It's better to let her have her own voice now and present herself first. She didn't get down in the gutter and fight back against every nasty thing that's been said about her and argue them. But she presented herself.

I'm willing to bet that those words in this interview will drown out anything her estranged half sister said about her once an engagement is announced.

Last edited:
My opinion is that she made that Interview because she DOESN'T want to marry him. She IMO just wants to stay in a relationship with him and keep the Status Quo, have a nice time, doesn't want to give up her acting career
She IMO isn' t keen on having children. Just my impression of her

My opinion is that she made that Interview because she DOESN'T want to marry him. She IMO just wants to stay in a relationship with him and keep the Status Quo, have a nice time, doesn't want to give up her acting career
She's said the completely opposite about children. And if she just wants to stay in acting, why did she chose to walk away from the Reitman contract early this year when they threw a bunch of money at her? Or close down a lucrative website? All of those things improved her profile as an actress, not to mention brought in additional income. She's already given up a lot in her career and life.

OK. Gotcha. Its a valid opinion but I disagree with it. Both Harry and Meghan has been known to say that they want a home and family life. I think too that if this was just a relationship with freedom and fringe benefits, we would have seen Harry and Meghan out and about town a lot more often than we have. They seem to prefer a stay at home kind of a relationship or possibly getting together with close friends privately.

Yeps, I definitely think the both of them want a home and a family that includes a family dog or two or three. :D

As far as her acting career with Suits, as I've said before, she cannot walk away from it while still under contract. That contract is up after the filming of this season is over and I'll bet my last piece of cheesecake she does not renew it. ;)

:previous: So true, Osipi.

If they did not intend to go all the way Harry would not have made his extraordinary statement expressing his "disappointment" at the harassment by the tabloids and his concern for her safety.

If Meghan did not care about marrying him and eventually being accepted in the House of Windsor she would not have lowered her social media profile(she has gone from chatty to complete radio silence...why is that? :whistling:) She has not toned down her racy scenes on Suits because she has suddenly found religion, I bet.

She's all in, for sure and so is Harry.

As far as her acting career with Suits, as I've said before, she cannot walk away from it while still under contract. That contract is up after the filming of this season is over and I'll bet my last piece of cheesecake she does not renew it. ;)

I read an US Weekly article this past weekend on that. It basically said that. Another interesting tidbit from their source was that they haven't started to even negotiate with Gabriel Macht, and they usually start with him and then work their way down the cast. Based on announcements in the previous timeline, this seems...odd. Although they haven't cancelled it either. I have to wonder what they are waiting on. As a fan, my hope is that this is the last season, and they just have everyone live happily ever after. I can't see Mike and Rachel break up for any reason. And I'd hate to think Prince Harry's relationship with Meghan and her eventual earlier than expect departure leads to that. :cool:

Hmmm that really doesn't line up with her previous interviews (before Harry) and anything said in that VF article.

LaRae

Meghan and Harry have both spoken previously about wanting to have children. I've also seen interview with Meghan, prior to dating Harry, where she has mentioned wanting to have her own little girl some day. And 'Auntie Meg' seems quite close to her various friends and co-star's children. She has already been seen laughing and dancing with children. Hopefully both Harry & Meghan will have this opportunity some day.

OK. Gotcha. Its a valid opinion but I disagree with it. Both Harry and Meghan has been known to say that they want a home and family life. I think too that if this was just a relationship with freedom and fringe benefits, we would have seen Harry and Meghan out and about town a lot more often than we have. They seem to prefer a stay at home kind of a relationship or possibly getting together with close friends privately.

Yeps, I definitely think the both of them want a home and a family that includes a family dog or two or three. :D

I agree with you. She does strike me, too, as someone who wants a family. She exudes a warmth of character and someone who, if she and Harry were already married, would be over at Kensington Palace checking on Kate and seeing if she could help her in some way to feel better. ?

For people worried about the "celebrity" involved in a possible marriage, all of that aura will go away if they get married. She will give up her acting career and be a full time royal.

Why should she have to give up her career and life though? She should be able to continue to act, if that is what she wants to do.

The expectation that a woman who marries has to give up their life for their royal spouse while a man marrying a royal is able to continue with his previous occupation is plainly sexist and should be unacceptable in this day and age.

She also shouldn't have to give up her nationality and be forced to more to the UK. That should be a decision made between the two of them based on what both of them want to do not on who is family is.

Sure if she wants to give up everything she has personally built for a life of being a low-level royal who has to give way to a large number of people who have done nothing much other than be born to the right parents that is fine but if she wants to continue with the life she has built for herself she should be able to do that as well.

Why should she have to give up her career and life though? She should be able to continue to act, if that is what she wants to do.

The expectation that a woman who marries has to give up their life for their royal spouse while a man marrying a royal is able to continue with his previous occupation is plainly sexist and should be unacceptable in this day and age.

She also shouldn't have to give up her nationality and be forced to more to the UK. That should be a decision made between the two of them based on what both of them want to do not on who is family is.

Sure if she wants to give up everything she has personally built for a life of being a low-level royal who has to give way to a large number of people who have done nothing much other than be born to the right parents that is fine but if she wants to continue with the life she has built for herself she should be able to do that as well.

I agree and on that basis she shouldnt have a call on the Uk people unless carrying out royal business - so no security etc.

Well, I haven't been here in awhile, as I've been swamped with life/work/school. But with the VF article/photos being released, of course I had to log on to see what everyone was saying and to add my two cents.

First of all, I was quite surprised to see her on the cover and talking openly about her relationship, stating that her and Harry are in love. Kinda still surprises me thinking about it now but it's very much a pleasant surprise. I've loved this "royal romance" from the start but was disheartened by all the criticism Meghan had to face simply for dating Harry and how she had to pull back on nearly every aspect of her public life. So admittedly, I was very happy to see her get a chance to be open again and to see in her own words that she isn't letting the hate or criticism get to her or spoil her relationship with Harry.

Secondly, that cover photo of her is beautiful but this one definitely has to be my favorite... https://media.vanityfair.com/photos...er/w_1440,c_limit/meghan-markle-1017-ss05.jpg Understated yet stunning. She is a natural beauty, indeed. I really look forward to seeing official pics of her and Harry together. Yes, I absolutely believe an engagement announcement is coming, mostly likely before the end of the year. If that weren't clear before (I thought so several months ago) then this interview all but confirms it. I don't think such an interview happens without Harry or KP's approval and in my opinion, the only way they would agree is if an engagement has already happened or will soon happen. And how exciting that must be for Meghan and Harry. I'll just be over here eagerly waiting for them to share the news with us all. ?

But I think there's a difference between having to change aspects of your life and changing who you are as a person and I believe Meghan was speaking on the latter. The best part of the interview for me was reading her comment about the people close to her anchoring her in knowing who she is, with the rest being noise. So good to know!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom