The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Majesty

I think it was a little piece in the Evening Standard of the night before, in which a diarist called LondonGirl, London Diary (something like that) stated that the BBC had been put on alert for a coming announcement shortly. IMO that was the origin of it all.

Then a journalist from the Fail (where else!) called Sarah Robertson must have jumped on board, she spread the glad tidings via her Twitter and both she and some of the media and Twitter itself started getting excited overnight making two and two five. The frenzy then built on itself, though some of the media/correspondents etc were sceptical. I believed it just snowballed as sometimes these things do.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Today’s announcement was on The Queen...not on Harry and Meghan yet.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Majesty

Yes, Dman, but people didn't know that then!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
After getting excited over the media frenzy (I'm curious to know what started that, it was very different), I'm thinking Meghan will settle to UK for a few weeks, and then before the end of 2017 there will be an announcement.
Me as well. I'm really interested to know what led to this frenzy. Personally I hope they are going away for a little trip. We're not going anywhere! LOL! We'll be right here, whenever they decide to announce. :-)

Edited to Add: I was typing as you were Curryong. I think what you say makes sense. Because a lot of the "real" correspondents were more skeptical.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Well you've got to admit if the two actually do get married it could potentially spice things up for the House of Windsor.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can say one thing...after such a rough and tough year for the UK and United States and other places, a royal engagement would be very welcomed news on both sides of the pond.

KP hasn’t shut down the noise though. I think the royals and Palace officials have a way for letting the media know that they’re running this show. They’ll announce when it’s planned to be announced.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
could potentially spice things up
The BRF are neither a recipe, nor a Soap Opera.. thank you very much !
Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you, wyevale. The last thing the "Firm" and the monarchy needs is spicing up. I think we had our fill of that during the 90s.

Its best if things continue to work and run on an even keel. This isn't to say that watching Harry and Meghan together in action isn't going to be a pure joy but I don't see them really deviating from the norm.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not going to be today. W&K have an event tonight so focus will be there too.

LaRae
I believe Charles and Camilla had an event on the day William and Kate announced their engagement. IMO the day (Friday) is a more likely reason why an announcement wasn't going to happen today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The BRF are neither a recipe, nor a Soap Opera.. thank you very much !
The BRF has been a soap opera for decades now, which is why I find it funny when people suggest Meghan will turn the royals into a soap opera or celebrities. That train has already left the station.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
Well you've got to admit if the two actually do get married it could potentially spice things up for the House of Windsor.

-Frozen Royalist
I agree. A wedding and newlyweds are always interesting. We are romantics after all, not so?

Watching the new household form will be fun, especially with an American in the mix.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The BRF has been a soap opera for decades now
Perhaps for Americans, but to the people for whom it was created and functions [the Brits and Commonwealth] it is FAR more important than that, which is why there is a reluctance to see it cheapened by 'celebrification'. We have seen what havoc Diana created with that, and don't want a repeat altho' that is so desired by [essentially] outsiders.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
The BRF has been a soap opera for decades now, which is why I find it funny when people suggest Meghan will turn the royals into a soap opera or celebrities. That train has already left the station.
In the 1980s/1990s? Yes.

In the 2000s/2010s? No.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Majesty

As nothing in the way of an announcement is likely at all over the weekend I wonder whether the media will be looking for any signs of activity re the BBC ot Kensington Palace on Monday? I've got a feeling this roller coaster may go on for some time!
Old 11-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Perhaps for Americans, but to the people for whom it was created and functions [the Brits and Commonwealth] it is FAR more important than that, which is why there is a reluctance to see it cheapened by 'celebrification'. We have seen what havoc Diana created with that, and don't want a repeat altho' that is so desired by [essentially] outsiders.
This is not about American perception. The fact is, like all families, the BRF is comprised of flawed people, some of whom have had public scandals and mistakes, even before Diana. There is no more reason to fret over Meghan than any other royal, including Charles, Margaret, Andrew and Harry himself. They've all given the tabloids, and the rest of us, reasons to label the RF a soap opera.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Certainly manners HAVE changed, as have the press [now markedly less deferential and circumspect than in the past].
But I repeat 'Soap Opera' it isn't... It is a hard working operation dedicated to highlighting and rewarding the good aspects of our Society [and societies overseas], and shining a spotlight on areas where improvement is needed [mental health,literacy, domestic abuse, homelessness and youth opportunities. All this aside from its very important Constitutional role
When it is labelled 'a soap' these aspects are downplayed and marginalised, amidst excitement over frocks, jewels, weddings and babies...
Old 11-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Alright let's get back on topic, everyone...Harry and Meghan's relationship.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Commoner

Looks like everyone got there hopes up for nothing it was all about the queen- Harry is not going to marry Megan this is going to end like the rest of his past girlfriends- you can not be in love with someone and marry that person you only know for barely a year this will not last one person will get there heart broke because he is being used and clearly is to blind to see it
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that you will find that the majority of the people here will disagree with you, Carmen. There are just too many indications that this is it for Harry. He's been hooked, line and sinkered in a big way. I seriously doubt that Meghan Markle would have left a very lucrative acting role to move to the UK to just be the "girlfriend" in hopes of a ring somewhere down the line.

Harry has been known to state quite a few times that he really does want to settle down and raise a family of his own and all signs point to that this is exactly what is in the works. I would even go as far as to state its nearly a done deal that we will be seeing a royal wedding in the not to far distant future.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan have been dating for longer than 'barely a year' anyway. Depending on exactly when they met (and nobody's sure) they've been seeing each other for between 17 and 18 months. And Meghan has stayed with Harry on extended visits.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

I'm starting to feel a bit uneasy. Not about Meghan and Harry, per say, but all of the hype and expectations and demands swirling around them. I can't put my finger on what it exactly is, but it has me worried. Especially for Meghan. I'm such a fan of her's and Harry is my favorite royal by far. And I think they make a great couple. But the longer this has gone on, and the more I've thought about it, it almost seems like the apparatus around them (the media, the public, the protocol, etc) are almost designed to ensure failure. I don't know. I hesitate to even say this, because everyone (myself included) has been so excited about this. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Maybe it's just a passing feeling. Don't mind me!

Closed Thread