The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Majesty

I think for the purposes of a visa, exceptional talent would be more along the lines of a Helen Mirrem.

In the UK Meghan is known as Prince Harry’s girlfriend. That’s about it.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Let me put it this way. If one person didn't find Meghan to be exceptional, this thread wouldn't exist in its present form. We can debate the level of Meghan's talents until the cows come home and go around in circles about it for months but its a serious waste of time and energy.

We can all agree that Meghan has had a successful acting career and its pretty self evident that Harry finds her to be an exceptional woman in his eyes. That's what matters.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Itís not the entertainment industry but the UK government making the judgment. I donít believe the UK is lacking actresses that Ms Markle would be needed to be imported without being attached to any role or studio to sponsor her visa.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Majesty

I don't think that is true at all. In Australia a writer, mainly known here as the troubled son of one of our veteran show business personalities, who was not known overseas at all, or was anyone's SO, has lived in the US for years. He entered it was said on the strength of one script he'd written (which wasn't taken up) and was granted a visa on 'exceptional talent'.

Also an Aussie ex singer, who had no hits, is now working as a DJ in Los Angeles. She entered on that same sort of visa. IMO it's how you present yourself. And Meghan at least has a proven body of work.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

If Ms Markle was awarded a visa on the grounds of 'Exceptional Talent' I can think of no better way to alienate the Public against her...

Since she has none, it would be obvious that she was being made 'a special case', and the press/public would judge Harry and her accordingly.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Well, that opinion of yours on her talent is a very subjective view really, isn't it? And one the Suits producers obviously disagree with you on, having employed her for seven years!

For myself though, I think Meghan will probably enter Britain on a fiancee visa before an engagement announcement.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
very subjective view really, isn't it?
Indeed, as is yours. She is part of an ensemble cast on 'Suits' where 'exceptional talent' isn't required.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Yes, a series in which Meghan has worked successfully for seven years, and is now leaving, in order to hopefully move on to marriage and a new career in the Firm.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
With respect AlowVera,

I am perfectly able to judge whether I MYSELF consider an individual to be 'exceptional' in their field. They are either BRILLIANT, or they are not, regardless of their age, sex, race, looks or any other criteria. Peer groups also make those judgements, and Ms Markle has received no such accolades [as far as I know].
These visas are not granted for anyone, however! I can absolutely tell you that I know multiple people (within the showbiz industry) who has been granted these visas and none of them have had the same work experience (7 years on a successful tv show!) or been written about (prior to meeting Harry) as Meghan has.
I strongly believe she can very easily provide the evidence needed to receive the visa. In her field, being on a well known tv show and having been interviewed and written about (and in this day and age) having a successful social media presence.

Exceptional skills can mean any combo of things. If you will look at the link I posted there are two sub - categories. She doesn’t need to be well known in the uk, she needs to be well known enough in her home country. And she is, she has been written and interviewed long before she met Harry, because of her role on Suits- again a well known successful TV show (has suits won any awards?).

She may not be the caliber of Helen Mirren, but being on a successful tv show and having received some exposure can be enough to grant her the visa.

As for the production firm, i see where it may be an issue. But Edward was already a royal she will be doing it as a private citizen, she can always hand the reigns over or close it if a wedding ever happens.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Edward's ex tells Meghan Markle not to quit career | Daily Mail Online

Prince Edward’s former girlfriend has spoken and advises Meghan not to give up her career. (I’m not sure if this has been posted already.)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Prince Edward's ex tells Meghan Markle not to quit career | Daily Mail Online

Prince Edwardís former girlfriend has spoken and advises Meghan not to give up her career. (Iím not sure if this has been posted already.)
That's weird, was she even engaged to Edward in the first place? Perhaps she should be talking to Sophie who eventually gave up her career. I find all this career concern trolling to be rather suspect. If PH and MM are at the marriage stage of their relationship, then I'm sure she knows what she is giving up and has weighed her feelings for PH and in the balance those feelings are more than wanting an acting career it happens all the time.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

They are getting desperate at the mags.

LaRae
Old 11-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
They are getting desperate at the mags.

LaRae
It is the Daily Mail after all...
Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Welcome evolvingdoors & thanks very much for the information.
Philosophically, isn't the whole point of requiring visas to live in a country such as the U.K. to avoid having people settle there who cannot support themselves and thus might need state assistance? The marriage visa requires proof of a certain amount of income, for example. Hardly a concern w/ Ms. Markle. I did smile when I was looking at visa applications last night thinking about how they'd fill in the blanks: address - Kensington palace; occupation - future Princess, etc. :)
I believe I read that there are 2000 exceptional talent visas available a year, I don't think there are 2000 Helen Mirrens wanting to move to the UK every year. The exceptional talent visa I think uses the word 'exceptional' in the sense of being above average not in the super star sense. In Meghan's case with her work for the UN, her successful acting, etc. she is certainly more accomplished than many.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think uses the word 'exceptional' in the sense of being above average not in the super star sense.
Since when has 'exceptional' equated with 'above average' ? Is it any wonder 'celebrities' are held in such widespread contempt ? When excellence is watered down to such an extent that the 'really rather ordinary' is placed on a level with the GENUINELY extraordinary we are in deep, deep trouble !
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Could someone please get in contact with whomever gets these visa applications and ask them what their definition of "exceptional" is? I know its slow getting any kind of information about Harry and Meghan but c'mon guys, arguing over whether Meghan is "exceptional" enough to qualify for a visa is just plain ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

I personally think Meghan is very talented, charming and an exceptional person. IMHO she's on these levels of famous, a lower C, which is only a good thing, tbh, and one reason Harry and her were able to be so low key, and still are. Her face isn't well recognized in UK. I'm glad, that she doesn't have an A list career going for her, THAT would be hard to walk away from.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since when has 'exceptional' equated with 'above average' ? Is it any wonder 'celebrities' are held in such widespread contempt ? When excellence is watered down to such an extent that the 'really rather ordinary' is laced on a level with the GENUINELY extraordinary we are in deep, deep trouble !
"Exceptional" is a legal term in this context, with a very specific definition.

According to guidance on UK.gov regarding this type of visa, The Arts Council of England can sign off on 250 "exceptional talent" visas per year (that number alone suggests not everyone is going to be what you might categorize as "A List"). To determine whether someone qualifies they maintain the following checklist (my annotations in italics):

A7. Criteria Ė Arts Council England
You must be able to demonstrate that you:
 are professionally engaged in producing work of outstanding quality which has been published
(other than exclusively in newspapers or magazines), performed, presented, distributed or
exhibited internationally;
I believe work on an internationally broadcast television show that has lasted seven seasons would probably qualify, given how few shows make it to air, stay on the air, or are shown on multiple continents
 can show recent (within the last five years) and regular activity of being engaged professionally
as a practitioner in your field; and
Meghan has done that, clearly
 can show a substantial (if applying under the Exceptional Talent criteria) or developing (if
applying under the Exceptional Promise criteria) track record in at least two countries, one of
which can be your country of residence.
Meghan can check off both the US and Canada, again understanding that she's working in a field in which substantial means getting parts in actual movies and TV shows and paying your bills, as opposed to being stuck in the world of extra work and commercial
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Courtier

I should add that, when looking around at visa requirements in general and this category in particular, the bar for "exceptional talent" in the arts is much lower than in the other career categories covered by that visa. I suspect that's because you can't really work in the arts on a normal work visa, due to very strict requirements that encourage staying with a single employer and make it very difficult to change jobs and still stay in the country...which isn't really how things tend to work when you're an actor or a musician. So instead of create a category specifically for artists, they've put them into the category that creates an exception to the standard rules and, in the words of the official guidance document, "allows you to work
and change employers, or to be self-employed, without the need for further authorisation or to be sponsored for employment in a specific post."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ce_04_2017.pdf
Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

VERY 'lowest common denominator'... The Public and Press would see through such a ruse immediately and mark down both she and Prince Harry accordingly.

Closed Thread