Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, Harry has been through some of this before. His romance with Chelsy Davy was tempestuous but it did last for years, with the full glare of publicity on them for much of it.

The paps were always stalking them, to the extent that Harry would sometimes wear a black wig when they went out. As they grew into their twenties the Press did feel there was a good chance they would end up married and periodically they would throw that possibility out there as a probability.

I wish Meghan the strength to cope with the fact of being a member of a royal family. I also wish her the strength to cope with the media pressure. I hope she has enough support in the royal family to become a member, to feel at ease when she is with them, to feel welcomed.

To be honest I don't see an engagement announcement in 2017. Meghan should settle down in London, they should live together for a while and than they should engage and marry.

But nonetheless I would be very pleased if Harry have found his soulmate in Meghan and start a family with her.

The news will come...everyone just have to remain patient. Let the man do what he gotta do here.

I don’t even want to speculate what that means..,..

They don't know anyway...just look at the craziness the last few days. They were wrong, again.

LaRae

The Fail claims that Palace staff were briefed about Harry and Meghan's coming engagement at that meeting yesterday. Also that the couple are planning a non-traditional wedding.

Royal Palace staff 'briefed about Prince Harry engagement' | Daily Mail Online

Whatever they're smoking over there at the Fail, I want some. I do love the idea of stepping into a fantasy world sometimes. Beats the rat race of the media where the top rats are neck and neck with each other. :whistling:

are planning a non-traditional wedding.

In the HIGHLY unlikely eventuality 'the Fail' are correct, i'd rather the bridal couple bugger off to some 'Chapel' in Vegas rather than subject the rest of us to seeing/listening/paying- for some ghastly 'free-form', 'made-up' ceremony [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't doubt that there is plenty of scheming and plotting behind the scenes at KP and Buck House in regards to an upcoming engagement but there are few that are going to leak anything out through those windows into the wind where we'll hear of it. Those that would leak anything would quickly find themselves quite quickly out of a job.

As the old Clairol commercial went "Only her hairdresser knows for sure", I think we can apply the same here. Only those that need to know do know and they're not talking.

Meghan and Harry will have a wedding that suits them, within the limits of RF requirements. They won't elope, and I don't get why that's even thrown out there as a suggestion. Why on earth would they elope? I don't think this press frenzy bothers them much, they most likely aren't on the internets and twitter reading about the latest speculation. I'm thinking they're somewhere on a short holiday before the Christmas stuff gets started, and enjoying their time together. To me suggesting, that they'd elope means sort or sneaking around as if they were doing something wrong or shameful. I'm thinking they'll both enjoy their relatively large wedding whenever it happens.

I don't see the living together without being engaged for a long time for a few reasons. I don't think Meghan would've done all she has done just to try it out. Then the visa issues, that have been discussed to lengths on here. Added the security issues, and Meghan not being able to be part of any family gatherings and official engagements without that engagement announcement. Jmo, of course.

Are there any types of wedding "rules" that have to be followed for Harry to remain in the line of succession?

No, there are NO such rules. Only converting to Roman Catholicism would exclude him from the succession. Marrying a Catholic would be fine tho'.

Haven't read the Fail's latest article but if they're claiming that the staff have been told about the engagement and a non-traditional wedding then the Fail has been busy plagiarizing the Express article that was linked earlier this morning, which I did read. It claimed the same thing. And I thought, as I read, er skimmed, that article, how amusing it was, the way they were trying to cover for their epic non-news day on Friday. I had forgotten the utter madness of the pre-engagement Will & Kate days, but, oh boy, is it back or what? ;-)

In the HIGHLY unlikely eventuality 'the Fail' are correct, i'd rather the bridal couple bugger off to some 'Chapel' in Vegas rather than subject the rest of us to seeing/listening/paying- for some ghastly 'free-form', 'made-up' ceremony[...]

Made up ceremony :ermm: Why because she is divorced or you just don't like her :bang:

As anyone who knows about Anglican church weddings, they follow a specific vow and order of service. The exception being perhaps a reading. This isn't going to be some horse and pony show.

The public only pays for security. All other costs are covered by the royal family.

Now I am sure the reception will be filled with their 'horrible music' and personal tastes, well the late evening party. If anyone can complain that would be Prince Charles who will likely pay for that as he did William's. But since that isn't recorded, you wont be forced to listen.

because she is divorced or you just don't like her

NOT 'because she's Divorced, and I don't 'not like her' [I just have 'reservations', as I'm entitled to !]. It isn't compulsory to worship her, is it ?
I know about CoE Weddings, but I was taking my cue from 'The Fails' alleged 'non traditional' Ceremony.. which might mean 'Civil', non religious and therefore without any kind of 'set text'.
Poems, readings, favourite quotes , and 'made up vows' etc, etc...

NOT 'because she's Divorced, and I don't 'not like her' [I just have 'reservations', as I'm entitled to !]. It isn't compulsory to worship her, is it ?
I know about CoE Weddings, but I was taking my cue from 'The Fails' alleged 'non traditional' Ceremony.. which might mean 'Civil', non religious and therefore without any kind of 'set text'.

Just out of curiosity: do you have a predecessing wedding ceremony (from the BRF) of which you say: that is the kind that I would want Harry and Meghan to adhere to?

Probably the Wessexes'...

Appropriate, elegant but not 'sleb'. The Cambridges' [what with the Beckhams and all] veered into that territory imo.

Maybe they don' t marry in the church because she is a divorcee.
Do we have in mind that the soccer World championships start on June 14th?

Maybe they don' t marry in the church because she is a divorcee.
Do we have in mind that the soccer World championships start on June 14th?

The church doesn't object to them having a church wedding. So, is your reasoning that Meghan herself (or Harry) might think it inappropriate because of her divorce?

Given that she didn't have a church wedding the first time around it apparently isn't that important to her but I assume that they will follow tradition out of respect for Harry's family.

Last edited:
For the most part, I believe that any wedding between Harry and Meghan will be on par with what is expected of a British royal wedding.

Just as Harry will be adopting Meghan's two furbabies, Bogart and Guy, Meghan will also be adopting the ways of the family she is marrying into. Harry would move heaven and earth I think before he would do anything (consciously) to disappoint his Granny.

There will be plenty of different ways for them to make the wedding their own and unique while sticking to the basic rule of thumb for a royal wedding.

How many times did the fail repeatedly question if they would have to have a civil wedding? Even after it has been confirmed by the COE that they can marry, even been confirmed by the abbey? Unless Harry suddenly becomes the future head of the church, and/or evidence comes out that Harry has had an affair with Meghan for years and broke up her 1st marriage, a civil wedding is not in the cards.

No you aren't required to like her. But to suggest they should elope because they aren't worthy of having a wedding paid for them, is pretty harsh IMO.

Folks, royal engagements can be long. Peter and Autumn announced their engagement July 2007. They didn’t get married until May 2008. So, Royal engagement and wedding timetables can vary, not necessarily due at a short timetable.

As other posters have pointed out: this is different. Anything can happen between now and the birth of Cambridge baby #3. :flowers:

I believe Harkle are already engaged, and probably they are in no hurry to make an official announcement. They could do so before Christmas, or not. The only thing the media frenzy might cause, is for Harkle to pull back even further. They are on their own timetable and probably, as Meghan told us in the VF article: "This is our time. That's what makes it special..." They may wish to continue holding onto their undercover privacy for a little while longer.

I doubt there will be a long engagement. In fact, they may wish to enjoy Christmas together privately, and then go on another 3-week vacation in January (perhaps back to Norway or somewhere else special). They could make an official announcement around Valentine's Day, or even wait until early March. Then the Cambridge baby watch would ensue and detract a bit of attention away from Harkle (which they would probably welcome). If H&M announce in February or March of next year, it will give Meghan and her dogs time to settle in, wedding plans a chance to be further mapped-out, and the lead-up time to the actual ceremony blessfully shortened (perhaps purposefully in order to try and avoid as much media over-excitement and saturation as possible).

Well you've got to admit if the two actually do get married it could potentially spice things up for the House of Windsor. ?

? :lol: I get where you're coming from, in a good way. Meghan's nickname after all, is Nutmeg. ? ;)

The BRF are neither a recipe, nor a Soap Opera.. thank you very much !

Laughter is the Best Medicine. :flowers:

The British royal familly are larger than life, and they live their lives in a fishbowl, so there will always be aspects of larger than life drama that gets played out. The difference these days is that W&H are maintaining firm control over their scripts. There will be no 'Diana-like' media hounding. It won't be tolerated. There will be no intimate revelations of epic proportions. Both of these young men are devoted to, protective of and supportive of their partners for life.

I agree with you, wyevale. The last thing the "Firm" and the monarchy needs is spicing up. I think we had our fill of that during the 90s.

Its best if things continue to work and run on an even keel. This isn't to say that watching Harry and Meghan together in action isn't going to be a pure joy but I don't see them really deviating from the norm.

See my above comments. Things being spiced-up by 'Nutmeg' and 'Ginger' Harry does not mean they will be deviating too far from normal royal protocol. They are in the process of making a very special private recipe cake with some delightfully spicy ingredients. ;) However, they won't be sharing hardly any of that cake with the public. :sad: Much less should we expect to get our fill of any tiny morsels they may tempt us with. Their spicy new cake is mostly for them to enjoy, and for us to ponder at a mouthwatering distance. :chef: Harkle have been constantly surprising us throughout their delicious courtship, in a good way. The difference from 90s C&D is 'true love,' maturity, and a spirit of adventure/ genuine caring passed down from Diana, which Harry & Meghan both embody.

As well, Harry & Meg will surely work with Will & Kate as a tag team in support of the Prince of Wales when he becomes King. And as we know, King Charles III is planning on launching some rule-breaking changes and new recipes of his own. He will need the strong support of not only Camilla, but of both his sons and their wives, if the modern British monarchy is to successfully transition into a new age.

Oh oops, I think I just coined a new nickname for H&M: 'Ginger & Nutmeg,' to go along with 'Harkle Sparkle.' :D

Last edited:
is pretty harsh IMO.

Bit of a 'sense of humour failure' IMO. If you are really so unable to detect 'tongue in cheek', i'm sorry !

Last edited:
For the most part, I believe that any wedding between Harry and Meghan will be on par with what is expected of a British royal wedding.

Just as Harry will be adopting Meghan's two furbabies, Bogart and Guy, Meghan will also be adopting the ways of the family she is marrying into. Harry would move heaven and earth I think before he would do anything (consciously) to disappoint his Granny.

Diana was an aristocrat born into a family of courtiers, who had actually been courtiers for centuries. She also grew up, to quote her own words, in a "big house" where she was fairly acquainted with the lifestyle of the British upper class. Still, she had an awful time adjusting to the "ways of the Royal Family" and pretty much didn't get along well with anybody in the family. I don't know why everybody here seems to assume that Meghan, who comes from a much more diverse culture and family background, will adjust so quickly to the "ways of the family" and click instantly with everybody. To be frank, I am not even sure she will feel comfortable with British culture, much less royal life.

As a plus, Meghan has the advantage of being an actress, which means that, given a script, she is professionally trained to play the role. Real life is not aTV show though and Meghan seems like someone who is very determined to be herself, and not a made-up public persona, in real life.

PS: This is not supposed to be an anti-Meghan post. I am just trying to see things realistically here.

I think the comparison of Diana having trouble adopting and adapting to the royal way of life and Meghan being able to are like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, Diana grew up in the "cultural" background whereas Meghan didn't but one has to admit that Meghan doesn't seem to have people problems or the emotional and mental issues that Diana had going into marriage.

We really shouldn't be comparing Meghan with anyone else at all. She's her own unique self and, as I believe, over her lifetime has been able to adapt to things that come her way. Some people can and do take on a learning experience of something new with gusto and an eager willingness and by all indications that I've seen, Meghan is such a person.

...and the BRF is not the same as it was in the early 80's. Plus Harry is not the heir.

LaRae

...and the BRF is not the same as it was in the early 80's. Plus Harry is not the heir.

LaRae

Have the "family ways" really changed that much ?

As for Meghan, I don't follow her life so I have no idea what life "issues" she might have, but I am pretty sure there must be some, as it is the case in fact with most normal people. Harry certainly seems to be (or to have been) very troubled, so that is something which, for better or worse, he will bring into his marriage (and also one of the probable causes of former girlfriends of his distancing themselves from him in the past).

Have the "family ways" really changed that much ?

As for Meghan, I don't follow her life so I have no idea what life "issues" she might have, but I am pretty sure there must be some, as it is the case in fact with most normal people. Harry certainly seems to be (or to have been) very troubled, so that is something which, for better or worse, he will bring into his marriage (and also one of the probable causes of former girlfriends of his distancing themselves from him in the past).

I think they have changed quite a bit. We see that in how things are being done now.

Everyone has baggage. It's how you deal with it that matters. Harry seems to have made a strong effort to deal with his own demons. I don't know of former girlfriend distancing themselves from him for any other reasons than the natural ones that exist after a couple separate.

We don't really know about Meghan's first marriage, what the factors were.

LaRae

I think it’s fine to be realistic and say that there will be a learning curve. Moving to a new country and representing the people there is no cake walk.

Meghan will have some difficulties I’m sure but she’ll get through it and I’m sure the royal family will be there to help along the way plus Harry. Acting is not the same as being a royal. I think it’s an overstatement to argue that somehow it gives her a huge advantage over other royal spouses especially since she will have some disadvantages that others may not have had. She’s not the ‘perfect’ royal bride. There is none. I think we should all be able to talk about all of it without getting upset or defensive or comparison to other royals. Either way it’ll be fun and interesting to watch.

The truth is, we really won't know how Meghan will take to royal life until it happens. We have some indicators of how she has handled other things in her life, that shed a light on how she tackles challenges. But we won't really know until it happens. And it doesn't help comparing her to other royal brides because she is not like other royal brides, especially in the British Royal Family. We'll just have to be ok with not knowing. As was said, there is no perfect royal bride, because even the ones who seemed perfect on paper, ended up having problems. I think what a lot of people have been arguing, is that based on what we know of Meghan, it would seem she would have the capacity to be successful in the BRF. But everyone knows, there are no guarantees.

Also I wanted to mention something about the whole living together before engagement issue. Another reason I don't see that being feasible, is I can see some Brits having an issue with "just a girlfriend", a foreign one at that, living in a tax payer funded home (Kensington Palace) AND not supporting herself. I think people view visiting as one thing, but actually setting up house and living there as something else. I was just poking around a few places on the net and saw this issue brought up a few times. Not to mention I think it would put her in an unflattering light. (Not fairly), but women aren't judged on the same standards.

Also I wanted to mention something about the whole living together before engagement issue. Another reason I don't see that being feasible, is I can see some Brits having an issue with "just a girlfriend", a foreign one at that, living in a tax payer funded home (Kensington Palace) AND not supporting herself.

Meghan is financially independant. She could easily live without income for several years, depending how she lives. :flowers: And as for living with Harry in a 'tax payer funded home', that home is Harry's and he is free to live as he chooses. I doubt taxpayers have any say, or any right to have a say, in who stays at Harry's house at his invitation. That is a line I don't think would be crossed. I know it's been brought up here but it sounds pretty bogus to me.

I think people view visiting as one thing, but actually setting up house and living there as something else. I was just poking around a few places on the net and saw this issue brought up a few times. Not to mention I think it would put her in an unflattering light. (Not fairly), but women aren't judged on the same standards.

It's a non-issue, brought up by malcontents imo. :ermm: No one sensible would make an issue of a man and woman cohabiting before marriage at this point. In fact, not to cohabit would raise more questions methinks. And where they do that cohabiting is no one's business really. Harry's digs are part of his 'pay' being royal. I don't think there is any condition, implied or otherwise, stating that he cannot have 'overnight guests of the opposite sex unrelated to him' for a specified period of time. That sounds gruesomely archaic to me. :huh:

The real reason they should become engaged (imo) is because of the protection it would afford Meghan. On reflection, and considering what has been said here, Meghan needs to be protected, and that is what an official engagement would give her. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom