Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have their privacy but Meghan should also come out and be seen out and about in London so that the public would get used to the idea of Meghan in U.K.
No point of hiding Meghan if marriage is on the horizon .

Unless we have a formal engagement announcement, I don't think we'll see Meghan "out and about" in the UK. I don't think either Meghan or Harry would delay an announcement and spend time "out and about" just to placate the public. If the public is going to accept Meghan as a royal spouse, then she should be introduced to said public as a royal spouse doing royal spouse things with her royal bridegroom to be. Its just logical. The thing is that really whether or not the public "accepts" Meghan, it won't affect any outcome of a forthcoming marriage. The public has absolutely no say in any of it.

Most likely there will be the announcement and then, with Meghan being assigned her own RPO, she will then be protected wherever she goes. Most likely she will start by accompanying Harry on some engagements and may be seen shopping for food at Waitrose to cook at Nott Cott or similar things that we know they've already been doing when they're together. You have to know that the press and photographers are going to be on Meghan alert 24/7. I think one of the best photos we'll be able to get is perhaps Meghan out and walking Bogart and Guy with or without Harry.

There is just no way possible that Meghan could be safe with all the press attention without her own RPO and that alone tells me that an engagement announcement will come first. Harry isn't about to take any kind of chances when it comes to Meghan's security.

Funny thing is that some Harry's closest friends are married to Americans.....so they have close friends who have made the transition. Not only that the concerners are concerned how MM will fit in....I'm sure the American wives can help her out.

I know..isn't that interesting? Maybe Harry saw something about those Americans (dare we say a wave of modern Buccaneers has arrived?) he liked...that will certainly help Meghan with her transition if his closest friends have American wives. They can help her with various cultural things if needed.

LaRae

I know..isn't that interesting? Maybe Harry saw something about those Americans (dare we say a wave of modern Buccaneers has arrived?) he liked...that will certainly help Meghan with her transition if his closest friends have American wives. They can help her with various cultural things if needed.

LaRae

I'm sure they will help her out, but also MM seems to be a person who loves traveling and meeting new people. Not to mention that pre-Harry she already had friends within the same set as Harry. She went to Canada and made it her second home, she can do the same in the UK. Another thing is considering her historical British roots maybe they should visit her family seat similar as to when President Obama visited his Irish roots.

No matter where she's living or what the time frame is, I really don't think we can expect much more visibility for Meghan without a public engagement. A royal girlfriend is still just a girlfriend, with both a greater right to privacy than a confirmed fiancee and a lesser degree of protection to make her feel safe against paparazzi unpleasantness. It's only smart to keep a low profile for as long as she can.

The money shot will be Guy, Bogart, & Lupo being walked in KP park by Meghan & Catherine :)
Not only does Harry have friends who married people from other countries (I can only recall the friend who married the hotel heiress from the USA) but his cousin Peter (Anne's son) married Canadian Autumn and his more distant cousin Frederick Windsor (Prince Michael's son) married Sophie (an actress) from the USA.

Mark Dyer is married to a Texan. They were next to Meghan when she attended the polo earlier this year.

Isn't Guy Pelly's wife American? Holiday Inn heiress? I forgot her name... and Zoe Warren is American too?

Isn't Guy Pelly's wife American? Holiday Inn heiress? I forgot her name... and Zoe Warren is American too?

Yes, Guy's wife is from Memphis and they got married there. William and Kate also have a college friend from Nashville (Anna Sloan Smith), but I'm not sure if she's also in Harry's circle.

It does sound like they've got a lot of friends to talk to about the ins and outs of moving forward with a relationship when picking each other means one half of the couple has to leave their home country behind.

The money shot will be Guy, Bogart, & Lupo being walked in KP park by Meghan & Catherine :)
Not only does Harry have friends who married people from other countries (I can only recall the friend who married the hotel heiress from the USA) but his cousin Peter (Anne's son) married Canadian Autumn and his more distant cousin Frederick Windsor (Prince Michael's son) married Sophie (an actress) from the USA.

I think you will find that Sophie Winkleman (Frederick's wife) is British.

I think you will find that Sophie Winkleman (Frederick's wife) is British.

Was she working in L.A. on a visa then, when they married? I know they now live in London & adorable Maud goes to school w/ George. I really need to stop relying on my 'memory' and start googling these things before I post them :confused:

Wow! My Internet goes down one day and you miss everything! A few things:

1. I'm pretty sure Meghan would more than qualify for an "exceptional talent visa" if she applied. There are not 250 Helen Mirren's trying to get in the UK. However, for a lot of the reasons listed here, I doubt she'd be going that route

2. I'm also pretty sure if she wanted to do graduate studies she could. She graduated from one of top schools in the country, with a double major. I don't see her having any problem pursuing that if she wanted to. But again, for all the reasons stated, I'm not seeing that route either.

2a. I'm really only seeing her come over on a fiancee visa, meaning marriage within 6 months. Now when that happens I'm not sure yet.

3. Bummer about missing Serena's wedding, but work has to come first.

4. I'm just not sure how Meghan is supposed to win here. She needs to be more visible, but not too visible. She needs to prove her work ethic, but not actually do anything. She needs to totally remake herself into an acceptable British image, but on the other hand, everyone will continue to remind her "she's not one of them". I don't know, maybe it's just me, it just seems like the goal posts keep getting changed for her. That's why I think she and Harry are better off, doing as they see fit (with consultation from their family of course) because whatever they do, someone will be unhappy.

Pity she doesn't seem to have been present at Serena's wedding....

4. I'm just not sure how Meghan is supposed to win here. She needs to be more visible, but not too visible. She needs to prove her work ethic, but not actually do anything. She needs to totally remake herself into an acceptable British image, but on the other hand, everyone will continue to remind her "she's not one of them". I don't know, maybe it's just me, it just seems like the goal posts keep getting changed for her. That's why I think she and Harry are better off, doing as they see fit (with consultation from their family of course) because whatever they do, someone will be unhappy.

This is the thing that drives me nuts about some of the commentary here.

How does a woman who has worked steadily at her current job for the past 7 years, worked within that career for years before landing the job, has run her own website that was making millions, has had a fashion line with a respectable clothing chain in her adopted country, and has a solid history with notable charitable organizations need to prove her work ethic?

There are others within the BRF whose work ethics have rightly been questioned, including Harry’s, because they have long periods of appearing to be doing very little (not necessarily doing little, but appearing to be doing little). But to question Meghan’s is absolutely ridiculous. She has made a career for herself. We shouldn’t be questioning her work ethic.

Pity she doesn't seem to have been present at Serena's wedding....

Meghan was likely invited but had to decline for a number of reasons: work conflicts; tight security concerns for Meghan; (plus Serena apparently kept plans close to the vest with no details publicly known until very close to the date, so as to try and minimize press intrusion; Serena's guests had to sign strict confidentiality agreements and lock their cellphones, as Serena has signed an exclusive wedding coverage deal with Vogue's Anna Wintour -- said to be appearing in January 2018 issue of Vogue). Surely Meghan sent Serena & Alex Ohanian a wedding gift.

Let's face it though, Meghan's profile has risen to such a level that she does not wish to outshine any bride's big day, and that has incuded Patrick J. Adams' wife, Troian Bellisario (she's also 'mixed-race'), Pippa Middleton, and now Meghan's friend, Serena. There was a star-studded list of guests invited by Serena, from the entertainment and sports worlds, which is a scene that Meghan seems to be diverging from as her life takes an entirely new direction. Meghan wasn't even in a position earlier this year where she could attend Serena's 3-day wedding spa shower in Florida. If not for her relationship with Prince Harry, I think Meghan would have attended Serena's shower and the wedding ceremony, if her Suits work schedule permitted. Even some of Serena's other high profile friends had work conflicts.

I would anticipate that Serena and hubby Ohanian, will be invited to Meghan's royal nuptials (if they ever arrive ;)), along with the Suits crew. It's just that Meghan's life as a member of the royal family will be quite different, so we'll see how close Meghan will be able to remain with some of her former close acquaintances. Probably she will remain very friendly, but not as close due to diverging pursuits and lifestyles. Likely, Meghan's closest friends will always remain in her inner circle, including Jessica Mulroney, Lindsay Roth, and Markus Anderson.

Last edited:
I totally agree Ish. It is absurd in the extreme as Meghan has shown that she can hold down an acting job on her own merits and more than that, was more than willing to add UN and World Vision obligations, so I think it's safe to say she wasn't on a benefit singing 'One Day My Prince Will Come'.

She has nothing to prove and as to those who talk about short long distance relationships followed by short engagements one need look no further than Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier.

Last edited:
... [Meghan] has nothing to prove and as to those who talk about short long distance relationships followed by short engagements one need look no further than Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier.

ITA with you and Ish @MARG. The only thing is that the Kelly/Rainier relationship took place during a completely different era, and it's questionable how in love Grace was with Rainier. I think he was infatuated with her, but also very macho and moody. He refused to allow Grace to return to acting, which would not have been completely out of the question during the early 1960s had Rainier been reasonable and understanding about Grace's sense of loss regarding her acting career. In any case, I've read that Grace was more or less trying to please her parents and obtain her Daddy's approval by marrying Rainier. Her 'Daddy issues' is also probably the reason why Grace was romantically involved with so many older men prior to her marriage. Rainier and Grace barely knew each other when they married, so their swift courtship reality and age difference is somewhat more similar to Diana/Charles, and barely similar to Meghan/Harry.

Oh well though, re Meghan and Harry, some of the earlier commentary here surrounding visas & what people feel Meghan needs to prove and to do before she can possibly marry Harry, is rather far afield of their reality, highly speculative and apparently in some instances, intensely attached to outcomes that have nothing to do with any of us. ?

I admit that I too am intensely interested in this appealing couple, but I always try to take a step back, give a chuckle and remember Harry's astute words: "This is not a game, it's my life and hers." Also, in this modern global, celebrity-fixated world, the British royals are a big deal, and like a poster here said earlier, quite a lot of the frenzied media interest has to do with bottom line eyes out for economic/ investment gain.

Once an engagement is announced, the floodgates will open even further with jockeying for more documentaries, made-up gossip & trivia, fictional dramatizations, books, ongoing product attachment and positioning re Meghan's stylish looks and sartorial preferences, wedding souvenir merchandising in Britain and America, inevitable Harry & Meghan wedding dolls, video of the ceremony, knock-offs of the wedding dress, etc., etc. ... Together they have a fresh, modern, sexy, edgy appeal which is very different for the British monarchy (even by herself, Meghan had plenty of star-like charisma, success, presence, wealth, sexiness, edge, up-to-date style and substance; with Prince Harry on her arm, these attributes have ratcheted up to the rafters and beyond for both of them). It doesn't matter what naysayers and haters feel about them being together! :lol:

I'm sure though that H&M will continue to reign in and downplay any OTT media interest and public over-exposure, to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

How does a woman who has worked steadily at her current job for the past 7 years, worked within that career for years before landing the job, has run her own website that was making millions, has had a fashion line with a respectable clothing chain in her adopted country, and has a solid history with notable charitable organizations need to prove her work ethic?

There are others within the BRF whose work ethics have rightly been questioned, including Harry’s, because they have long periods of appearing to be doing very little (not necessarily doing little, but appearing to be doing little). But to question Meghan’s is absolutely ridiculous. She has made a career for herself. We shouldn’t be questioning her work ethic.

Extremely well said and Meghan is in the position of *Be d*mned it you do and be d*mned if you don't..........nothing is ever going to please everyone here or elsewhere. Just glad these 2 young people could care less what anyone thinks for they keep on doing their own thing without asking permission of anyone.?

Extremely well said [@Ish] and Meghan is in the position of *Be d*mned it you do and be d*mned if you don't..........nothing is ever going to please everyone here or elsewhere. Just glad these 2 young people could care less what anyone thinks for they keep on doing their own thing without asking permission of anyone.?

:previous: Indeed. H&M are keeping their privacy underwraps and doing their best to enjoy being with each other while balancing their work lives and high profile stature. And they also have tightly secure strategies in place to tame the tabs and paps the best they can.

Here's additional media speculation regarding the rollout of a possible engagement:
What to expect if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle become engaged | Lifestyle from CTV News

Last edited:
He refused to allow Grace to return to acting, which would not have been completely out of the question during the early 1960s had Rainier been reasonable and understanding about Grace's sense of loss regarding her acting career. In any case, I've read that Grace was more or less trying to please her parents and obtain her Daddy's approval by marrying Rainier. Her 'Daddy issues' is also probably the reason why Grace was romantically involved with so many older men prior to her marriage. Rainier and Grace barely knew each other when they married, so their swift courtship reality and age difference is somewhat more similar to Diana/Charles, and barely similar to Meghan/Harry.

I have to disagree- I don't see how Grace could realistically have returned to acting, even though she missed it. Just as it is not realistic for Meghan to continue acting if she and Harry marry.

Rainier was only 6 years older than Grace, not that much IMO. Not the 13 years between Charles & Diana.

Perhaps much of our speculation will be resolved within the next few months.

Last edited:

Because for some reason the rules are different for her. And they keep changing. Which is why I'm glad it appears, she's a woman who already knows herself, and she and Harry are going about things as they see fit. No need to try and jump through hoops, to please people, who can't be pleased. Those who are willing to give her a chance will.

As for Meghan not being at Serena's wedding, if the last day of filming was Thursday, then it makes sense that Meghan couldn't be there. That's all I take from that. If she were free, I think she would have come. I still contend that no one would outshine Serena Williams on her wedding day. Not even Meghan. Not with that guest list. And if she and Serena are friends I'd expect they'd stay friends.

Meghan was likely invited but had to decline for a number of reasons: work conflicts; tight security concerns for Meghan; (plus Serena apparently kept plans close to the vest with no details publicly known until very close to the date, so as to try and minimize press intrusion; Serena's guests had to sign strict confidentiality agreements and lock their cellphones, as Serena has signed an exclusive wedding coverage deal with Vogue's Anna Wintour -- said to be appearing in January 2018 issue of Vogue). Surely Meghan sent Serena & Alex Ohanian a wedding gift.

Let's face it though, Meghan's profile has risen to such a level that she does not wish to outshine any bride's big day, and that has incuded Patrick J. Adams' wife, Troian Bellisario (she's also 'mixed-race'), Pippa Middleton, and now Meghan's friend, Serena. There was a star-studded list of guests invited by Serena, from the entertainment and sports worlds, which is a scene that Meghan seems to be diverging from as her life takes an entirely new direction. Meghan wasn't even in a position earlier this year where she could attend Serena's 3-day wedding spa shower in Florida. If not for her relationship with Prince Harry, I think Meghan would have attended Serena's shower and the wedding ceremony, if her Suits work schedule permitted. Even some of Serena's other high profile friends had work conflicts.

I would anticipate that Serena and hubby Ohanian, will be invited to Meghan's royal nuptials (if they ever arrive ;)), along with the Suits crew. It's just that Meghan's life as a member of the royal family will be quite different, so we'll see how close Meghan will be able to remain with some of her former close acquaintances. Probably she will remain very friendly, but not as close due to diverging pursuits and lifestyles. Likely, Meghan's closest friends will always remain in her inner circle, including Jessica Mulroney, Lindsay Roth, and Markus Anderson.

I am sorry but you think Meghan didn't attend the wedding so not to steal attention :lol:

Even if the media had got wind of where the wedding was, Meghan would have been a small fish in a giant ocean of celebrities. Serena wasn't going to be outshone by Meghan. With the likes of Beyoncé in attendance, that was not a concern. Even if Harry had been able to attend, there would be little concern. It would be like the couple attending Harry's friend's wedding in Jamaica. Nor was security an issue, as Serena went well out of her way to have it highly secured for their privacy. This is not the UK, where the tabloids are blood thirsty for photos of Harry and his girlfriend. Not that they would have got any.

Meghan didn't attend as she was still filming suits.

I don't believe Zoe is American. Her father is the heir to the Earldom of Galloway, through his second cousin. I guess since he is distantly related to the main branch they could have been in the US, but she seems to have spent many years in the UK if not born there.

Elizabeth Wilson (Guy), Amanda Kline (Mark Dyer), and others like Alessandra Balazs (girlfriend of Harry's Eton friend Arthur Landon, her family owns Chiltern firehouse which is popular with Harry and his group) Meghan will not be the only one in the group certainly.

And when the royal family gets together for Christmas in London, she will have company in the extended family. Autumn is not alone, though only one in immediate. But there is another Canadian, the Countess of St Andrews is from Newfoundland. There is also Kiwi Gary Lewis. Plenty of advice on a foreigner settling into the family, even if not into royal life (duties).

:previous: It is interesting to see that now filming has finished media outlets have taken it as given fact that there will be an engagement and, if the several I read today are anything to go by, a Spring/Summer wedding.

The idea of a royal wedding and all that goes with it is being talked about as a welcome respite from the unending deluge of bad news, both national and international.

Funny how things start to change.

:previous: Anything we read is based on pure speculation at best. Just as valid as our speculation on here. Most likely the exact same thought process as we go through to get to it. What kind of visa? Will she leave right after filming ends? So on and son on. Most seem set on her arriving after Thanksgiving, and if she is on a fiancé visa, that would mean late May, start of June wedding.

Really no one knows what is happening. Until we find Meghan arriving, and it will be easier to spot as she will have her dogs with her, we cant really start the count down. And even then, we don't know how she is coming over. The fiancé visa makes the most sense, but perhaps they decide to go with the tourist and her going home for the weeks it takes for fiancé visa after.

Meghan will not continue acting on "Suits" but I will bet odds she will continue acting some. I have read that Harry is very supportive of her career. Harry is not going to let being a royal or married to one take Meghan over or have it dictate to her.

Just watch it all unfold.

Meghan will not continue acting on "Suits" but I will bet odds she will continue acting some. I have read that Harry is very supportive of her career. Harry is not going to let being a royal or married to one take Meghan over or have it dictate to her.

You know, I actually wish that were true. I tend to think some of the "rules" etc that govern royals are a bit silly, and haven't always served them well, but they stick to them, because that's what they know. Meghan actually should be able to continue her career in some capacity. You would think as much as people complain about the royals living off their tax dollars, they'd be glad to have someone come along with a desire to make their own money. But that isn't the case. The British press would eat her alive. They're already chomping at the bit. So while it would be nice if she could keep some of her acting (maybe a project a year. Something on the stage) I just don't see it happening. I do believe if Harry thought he could make that happen for her, he would, but I think he cares most about protecting her, and he knows what her continuing to act would bring.

And to be clear, I think Meghan has made her peace with that. I have heard people suggest that it was probably easy for her to walk away from acting, because she was getting older, her prospects weren't that great, etc. I don't think that's true at all. First of all it often takes people awhile to get their first big break, especially women of color. Look at Viola Davis. 40 before she really broke through. And women of color are actually having "a moment" now in Hollywood.

Meghan took small jobs, side jobs to pay her bills. She was obviously committed to acting. She graduated from Northwestern with a,degree in drama. Northwestern's drama department is very highly regarded. Look up some of its graduates. So my point is, that Meghan obviously put a lot of time and work into her acting career, and it was actually just now starting to really bare fruit. Not to mention acting gave her, her platform for her humanitarian work. I think she always planned on cutting back on her acting for a family and her charity work, but I'm not sure if she ever thought she'd be completely walking away from it (obviously until she met Harry) And I would have to think that would be hard, no matter how excited she was about what she was trading it for. Acting was her career, not just some hobby. Others may not think much of her career, and have been very vocal about it, but I think she is to be commended.

Last edited:

I agree. :flowers: There is so much that can be done in regards charities and stuff as a working actor: readings and short films. It's a mistake to let that connection atrophy. Princess Grace should be an 'example' that is avoided imo.

One place I can definitely see Meghan's talents coming into play would be making documentaries for the Royal Foundation events. She'd be a natural at this. We've seen W&K&H make several already. I do think she will find ways to put her talents to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom