Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The inclusion of George, Charlotte and Fergie and the royals who are private citizens is strange to me too. They do no duties and have their own lives because of their and circumstances. Something sinister is going on.

The agenda the media is setting in our minds is 'who needs this lot,republic now!

Oversaturation? :ermm:Unless you go on sites that mention her a lot(DM and here) or you check up on her,read stuff about her.Then no, people aren't getting oversaturated.I hardly hear of her outside a select fandom and DM.Unless she appears on the news or on newspapers,then we don't really hear much.
:confused: Huh? With or without KPs statement,doesn't change the fact Meghan is still a girlfriend.What elevated position does she have that the others didn't?
The heading says ROYALS approval rating.Meghan isn't a royal,she isn't engaged to one,isnt married to one,hasn't done any engagements in Britain.She doesn't even live here.Them including her(George and Charlotte also) in a poll makes zero sense.

Yes, oversaturation. I don't click on the Mail and even I've seen articles elsewhere on almost a daily basis, not just tabloids too. Heck, they've even just aired a documentary on her even though as you say "Meghan is still a girlfriend". I've heard there was going to be some Harry and Meghan: the love story book, maybe it's already been published. This kind of over the top coverage leads to pushback, royal watchers saw it happen with poor Pippa.

And I'm not saying Meghan should of been included in the poll, I'm saying I'm not surprised and I see how she ended up in it.

I have my analysis and you have your own. And I haven't wavered with mine if that was your intention.

I'm surprised they didn't include Lupo, the Queen's corgis and the Duchess of Cornwall's dogs in the poll along with Meghan's Bogart and Guy. The public is just aching to know which royal dog resonates the most with the public. Of course, if they were also to include Marvin the Royal Hamster, he'd win hands down.

All this just tells me that polls, for the most part aren't an indication of anything.

Make that two documentaries since Channel 4 did one a couple of weeks before ITV. Let us also not forget Lorraine Kelly has a competition for a Meghan Markle look alike. I am not kidding, it is beyond a worn out joke. Oh and the DM just did a whole article about Doria Ragland's youth completed with high school pictures and the like.
That is oversaturation.

Make that two documentaries since Channel 4 did one a couple of weeks before ITV. Let us also not forget Lorraine Kelly has a competition for a Meghan Markle look alike. I am not kidding, it is beyond a worn out joke. Oh and the DM just did a whole article about Doria Ragland's youth completed with high school pictures and the like.
That is oversaturation.

The DM and other tabs just want clicks so they post nonsense articles because they get a reaction. It is basically fake news they create for clicks.

I mean they wrote an article about MM's mom's hair when she was a teenager...which was nothing more than their underhanded code to take digs at MM's mother who is different.

It should be noted that the oversatuation is the fault of the press, not MM whom we barely see or PH who we only see during his engagements, or MM and PH as a couple whom we have only seen together around 5 times or less.

Last edited:
Yes, oversaturation. I don't click on the Mail and even I've seen articles elsewhere on almost a daily basis, not just tabloids too. Heck, they've even just aired a documentary on her even though as you say "Meghan is still a girlfriend". I've heard there was going to be some Harry and Meghan: the love story book, maybe it's already been published. This kind of over the top coverage leads to pushback, royal watchers saw it happen with poor Pippa.

And I'm not saying Meghan should of been included in the poll, I'm saying I'm not surprised and I see how she ended up in it.

I have my analysis and you have your own. And I haven't wavered with mine if that was your intention.

If you see things about Meghan in your feed, some of it is because you come here and possibly other royalty sites. Unless you browse private all the time and never allow any cookies.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to opinions polls on a person who hasn’t been officially introduced as a royal fiancée yet. Also, opinion polls very naturally go up and down. One can’t stay popular forever.

A poll conducted by Opiniom Researct for the Daily Express. Interesting that that Meghan’s isn’t very high in Britain. I thought the closer we get to a wedddiing , the numbers will go up. The sooner she moves to London and and rolls ger sleeves up the better

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/8...rry-engaged-suits-kate-middleton-approval/amp

Well, we don't know how close they are to a wedding. They aren't even engaged yet. If/when she does move to London, it will likely be on a timetable that they've already planned for and not because she's dashing over in hopes of improving some poll numbers. Frankly, I really doubt Harry cares about her approval rating being low. I can't see it swaying whatever opinion he has of her. I imagine the royals don't like being measured against each other, they're a family after all.

But yes, from a royal watcher standpoint it will be interesting to see how her numbers develop over time. And to think about what factors are playing into those number changes.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t pay much attention to opinions polls on a person who hasn’t been officially introduced as a royal fiancée yet. Also, opinion polls very naturally go up and down. One can’t stay popular forever.
Not only do they go up and down, they can be totally wrong, think Brexit, US Presidential race, etc. TPTB will not be paying one iota of interest in polls when it comes to Harry, an engagement, wedding or pregnancy. When you think about it, the BRF has seen and heard it all, in good times and bad and they know exactly how wrong these polls can be and have been observing them and their impact for decades.

A poll conducted by Opiniom Researct for the Daily Express. Interesting that that Meghan’s isn’t very high in Britain. I thought the closer we get to a wedddiing , the numbers will go up. The sooner she moves to London and and rolls ger sleeves up the better

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/8...rry-engaged-suits-kate-middleton-approval/amp
I’m not seeing how she could roll her sleeves up for anything until an engagement is announced as far as the public is concerned? It’s odd that a girlfriend of 18 months is included in a poll like this with no engagement announcement. Other members are measured by their work and public appearances, of which she has none and will not have any in UK until an engagement.

Reality is even when an engagement is announced she cant really roll up her sleeves any. She wont be doing royal duties until she is married, or attending royal events. And even until marriage, her charity work in the UK is limited.

I've removed the discussion about storylines/characters on Suits. Let's keep this thread focused on Meghan and Harry's relationship.

The founder of Opinium is walking back Meghan's results, with the caveat that she needs more public appearances for the people to get to know her. I think this guy doesn't want his company or poll to be blamed if the queen doesn't give consent and Harry and Meghan are over based on these results.

The founder of Opinium is walking back Meghan's results, with the caveat that she needs more public appearances for the people to get to know her. I think this guy doesn't want his company or poll to be blamed if the queen doesn't give consent and Harry and Meghan are over based on these results.

I highly doubt the Queen cares what these polls say. She's more interested in what Harry thinks

I highly doubt Meghan and Harry would be over over these results or that the Queen would deny them the consent to marry over it. He’s walking back because it is true and it didn’t make sense to put her in this poll in the first place.

I highly doubt Meghan and Harry would be over over these results or that the Queen would deny them the consent to marry over it. He’s walking back because it is true and it didn’t make sense to put her in this poll in the first place.

Exactly. If Meghan and Harry were to be over, it would be because something happened between them, not from the results of some ridiculous poll. And if the Queen was not going to give consent for Meghan and Harry to marry, she'd have let that be known way before now.

I disagree i think the Queen does carry about polls if she didn`t the monarchy would not have move with the time or change since Diana death when the polls again showed at that time the monarch was not in good standing

I disagree i think the Queen does carry about polls if she didn`t the monarchy would not have move with the time or change since Diana death when the polls again showed at that time the monarch was not in good standing

Sure they care. I've always said that the BRF cares about PR and public opinion. But they don't base everything they do on it. Especially not based off of one poll of dubious quality. Not all polls or polling companies are created equal.

It would be foolhardy for the BRF to actually base things on popular opinion or polls that show up. The general public only actually sees the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the machinations of the monarchy and the royal family's "Firm".

Just like we've recently seen all the disinformation about the Queen's finances and the offshore tax havens, the general public reacts to what the media feeds them and we all know there are many, many disreputable publications out there.

All in all, I don't think the BRF pays over much attention to this kind of stuff.

When we talk about the decisions Harry is making regarding the privacy of his relationship, it's often mentioned that he and William learned a lot from watching the media hound his mother. Well, in regards to polls and popularity it's probably good to remember that they've also had a great lesson in their father's experience. Camilla seemed to be considered Public Enemy No. 1 at one point but by judiciously keeping their relationship behind closed doors--known to the world, of course, but largely invisible--for a number of years Charles and Camilla weathered the storm, were able to pick the right moment to start being seen in public together, and now are enjoying the same sort of public attention as any married royal couple instead of her still being treated as a pariah.

I'm sure the lesson William and Harry learned from that was that they can be true to their own heart when picking a spouse. Even if the woman they love isn't wildly popular at first, time and care can smooth out even very rocky roads where public opinion is concerned.

All that said, even if the poll numbers meant much of anything (I think they're silly at best), Meghan is getting pretty good public response at the moment for a girlfriend who's stayed mostly out of sight. That half of the people polled even knew who she was to have any response at all is actually somewhat impressive, given how little attention is paid to her outside royal-watching circles.

Harry and Meghan are not over and they will not end their relationship over some so-called opinion polls. And the Queen is not going to deny Harry's request to marry Meghan, if she were she would have told Harry way before now. I think she has already given him permission and that they are already engaged.

And finally, do you all actually think Harry cares what anyone thinks? Harry is going to do EXACTLY what he wants to do. And we all know it!

:previous: I have never given credence to the notion that they are already married but I have to admit, that funny little mannerism he seems to have picked up, rubbing his left ring finger makes me think he may even wear a ring when he finally marries.

Some facts again:

1. Yes, they care and the palace does their own polling.

2. Most polls showed that support for the monarchy was as high as ever during and after Diana's death, and the Queen's Ipsos MORI approval ratings was at above 70% (with exception of one poll in 1998 that showed 66%). Above 80% and sometimes 90% since 2002.

3. Opinium started with monarchy polling in 2015, and their polls always shows lower support than those by Ipsos MORI, Populus, YouGov, ComRes and Sky who have the support at 70%/80%. And to ask people whether they approve of George, Charlotte, Peter Phillips, Zara Phillips, Mike Tindall, Sarah Ferguson and Meghan Markle is just ridiculous and shows again how unserious this poll is.

Read more about this and other polls in this post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-monarchy-in-the-uk-32807-16.html#post2035856

:previous:

I'm curious - how do we know that the palace polls and polls about popularity? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/support-for-the-monarchy-in-the-uk-32807.html#post2035856 speaks to various polls, but there is nothing about a poll belonging to the palace and what it contains?

It would be called internal polling, like the polling candidates do on their own campaigns. Those results aren't usually released for public consumption. Has the BRF ever made public that they poll? Not to my knowledge, but I'm willing guarantee they do. Maybe not a lot, but just enough to take the public pulse every once and awhile. They'd be foolish not to.

Proably the way politic parties do there own internal polling. They don’t worry about it the way politicians do. They’re not up for election but it’s good to get they general lay of the land

:previous:

I'm curious - how do we know that the palace polls and polls about popularity? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/support-for-the-monarchy-in-the-uk-32807.html#post2035856 speaks to various polls, but there is nothing about a poll belonging to the palace and what it contains?
1. Fact 1 in my post had nothing to do with facts 2 and 3. :flowers:

2. Internal polling (polls commissioned by the palace) has taken place since the 1990s, and both Dickie Arbiter and other former courtiers have spoken about it on both BBC and Sky. I've also read about it in several places, but can't find much information now, with the exception of this:

A quote from an anti-monarchy guardian article from 2006:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/apr/16/comment.monarchy
But the palace's internal polling claims that only 19 per cent want a republic
A quote from the ''The Windsor Dynasty'' book:
https://books.google.no/books?id=Vw...ved=0ahUKEwif-bTS9rzXAhXiPZoKHYFRC8AQ6AEILjAB
It is known that Buckingham Palace has commissioned public opinion research.
I hope this helped? ?

This makes sense and I'm surprised I hadn't considered that Patrick would be looking to leave as well. He is after all a newlywed himself. And his wife, though she visits him in Toronto, is based in LA. Patrick leaving when Meghan leaves, would solve the problem of how to wrap up their storyline.

I'm still not convinced we get an engagement announcement this month, but we're getting close I think. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom