Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are spending many thousands on legal teams In some hate/revenge? crusade against the Pap media which they can’t win.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's true, didn't Mirror/Express also run the same story? Why MoS? (I don't read DM so I don't know who run the story first).

And didn't Nikkah's article on The Times only get complaint instead of lawsuit?
What's so special about MoS? Please don't say its (online) reader comment section.

And the award for the best reason to sue someone goes to...
I do want to point out that it's still not confirmed that the lawsuit is about this story, but even the fact their legal team was threatening with legal actions over it is laughable enough on its own. Well, that, or just sad.

[...]

The Partners at Schillings must love Harry and Meghan!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's true, didn't Mirror/Express also run the same story? Why MoS? (I don't read DM so I don't know who run the story first).

What's so special about MoS? Please don't say its (online) reader comment section.
Who knows with them? ;)
It might just be a fact that out of the tabloid press they hate MoS the most, it might be that they want to involve the publisher in another lenghty, expensive and completely unnecessary trial.
The Partners at Schillings must love Harry and Meghan!
Definitely!

The 6th Lawsuit in a year. Well as I said it before the Lawyers are thrilled, it rains money on them. Give them the Papers a warning and move on.

I'm not quite sure whether Mirror/Express picked up the story from the Daily Mail or not. If so, maybe Harry is suing the "main source". To me, The Express is way more exaggerated in terms of reporting and making "clickbait" headlines. The Mirror is known to make a story out of nothing and snide comments (mostly out of right-leaning public figures). I especially dislike Kevin Maguire, associate editor of Daily Mirror. Interesting enough, both the comment section in the Express and Mirror are organised using the same system. Perhaps, the comments were more moderated and control compare to the Daily Mail.

You're right about how The Time only receiving complaint rather than lawsuit. I think the main reason of the difference in treatment is that The Times is a respected paper with online subscription, while The Mail is a tabloid (just like The Sun, Mirror, Express). Suing The Times would be very costly and would not look good, given what Extinction Rebellion done to them (as well as other News Corp paper) on the same weekend. This would potentially view as an attack on freedom of press (given that The Times is not a tabloid). The subscripted readers would not be happy and probably rise up & supported The Times if Harry actually end up suing them.

Last edited:
All the damaging, vicious lies that were printed about Meghan, particularly, and now Harry, that they couldn't react to as working royals, can now be addressed. It's Harry and Meghan's money so good for them.

Harry and Meghan settled their lawsuit over the images of Meghan walking with Archie in the park in Canada.

As part of the settlement Splash has agreed to not photograph Archie.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...rivacy-battle-images-walk-archie-b369583.html

Seeing as the lawsuit was against the British arm, the agreement is only relevant to Splash UK (per a few other articles) - and that has gone into administration. so it does not includes the US arm of the company.
So essentially this is an empty promise.

From what I can tell, she requested the settlement?
So an empty promise and keep in mind, she's not getting any settlement money from this, which imo is probably why her side offered the settlement.

"“This settlement is a clear signal that unlawful, invasive, and intrusive paparazzi behaviour will not be tolerated, and that the couple takes these matters seriously – just as any family would."

But this wasn't unlawful or invasive, she was on a public trail! that's the point.
Anyway, this settlement is just a sign that the UK branch have more important things to worry about than dealing with a celebrity who called the paps and than sue to save face.

ETA: their lawsuit against Splash US for the same pictures is still ongoing.

Last edited:
The Daily Mail issued an apology to the Sussexes over the article in which they claimed Harry had turned his back on the armed forces.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-9089899/Clarifications-corrections.html

interesting "apology", I don't think the DM should have apologized for this because I don't think they are wrong on this.
The apology says he has been in contact with "individuals" "in a private capacity" offering "informal support"... okay, but that isn't that the exact opposite of what the honorary colonel should do? which is provide Public support? (you know like when he snubbed a royal marine memorial for the Lion King premier?- I guess that was his private way of supporting them..:ermm:)

I was never really into the "take away his military titles" bandwagon, but I think I do now.
If Harry wants to support the military in a personal non formal capacity than I say let him, but than take away the honorary titles, this way he can truly provide it the same way we all do. Solved.

The Fail would never concede anything to Harry unless they felt they absolutely had to, and the fact that they have issued what is for them a quite fulsome apology and a donation to Invictus shows that the newspaper knew it was in the wrong.

According to Chris Ship, Harry will continue the lawsuit despite The Mail's apology. The Court hearing might happen in the New Year.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
Despite the Mail’s correction, the legal action Prince Harry has brought against the newspaper over this story is continuing. There is likely to be a court hearing in the New Year. Watch this space...
8:53 PM · Dec 27, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Well, the legal action as it stands is continuing because the apology has only just been made - it will "continue" (and doesn't automatically stop) until the plaintiff has had a chance to discuss the apology with his legal advisors to decide whether or not to continue with the action or withdraw it.

The Daily Mail lied? I am shocked!

I just want to add that this situation would be different from the complaint towards The Times, as members of this forum have mentioned earlier.

Since there have been quite a few lawsuits filed against the Mail from celebrities or public figures, I think suing The Mail on Sunday (tabloid) would not be as dramatic or even ludicrous as suing The Times (respected newspaper)

According to Press Gazette, both Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday have the highest average National circulation on November 2020 in the UK. I guess suing the second most circulated paper is far more appealing. The Telegraph, The Times and The Sun have kept their circulation figures private, hence not listed.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/most-popular-newspapers-uk-abc-monthly-circulation-figures

Since Harry & Meghan are launching lawsuits on the Mail on Sunday, I think it's appropriate to share this new Daily Mail article written by Rebecca English. According to her, two ex-palace staffs who previously worked for the Sussexes, Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy have been rehired. Loughran and Herlihy would work on charity projects in the UK.

Team Megxit reunited: Two Palace aides who lost jobs in March are back on Sussexes' payroll in couple's hiring spree
EXCLUSIVE: Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rehired two former palace aides
They have employed ex-palace staff Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy on a freelance basis
The pair, both in their 30s, lost their jobs in March when Harry and Meghan moved to North America

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ch-Sussexes-payroll-couples-hiring-spree.html

I wonder if this article could be brought up in the upcoming court cases

Last edited:
Since Harry & Meghan are launching lawsuits on the Mail on Sunday, I think it's appropriate to share this new Daily Mail article written by Rebecca English. According to her, two ex-palace staffs who previously worked for the Sussexes, Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy have been rehired. Loughran and Herlihy would work on charity projects in the UK.

Team Megxit reunited: Two Palace aides who lost jobs in March are back on Sussexes' payroll in couple's hiring spree
EXCLUSIVE: Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rehired two former palace aides
They have employed ex-palace staff Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy on a freelance basis
The pair, both in their 30s, lost their jobs in March when Harry and Meghan moved to North America

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ch-Sussexes-payroll-couples-hiring-spree.html

I wonder if this article could be brought up in the upcoming court cases

The hiring is on a freelance basis so not the same as when they were employed by the palace, and from what I gather according to UK law it means H&M are not responsible to pay for healthcare, and other benefits which a regular employee would.- luckily for the women they live in the UK and not the US where healthcare for a freelancer is through the roof! but still.
And this is without going into my own personal opinion about this kind of companies.

in term of lawsuits, i'm confused as to why you think this can be brought up in the lawsuit, and by whom, the Sussexes or the DM?

:previous:

The Sussexes could potentially brought it up, if this article turn out to be false

Or if there is some degree of truth in the Daily Mail article, could the Sussexes accused the Mail on Sunday for invasion of privacy? I'm guessing the narrative of palace staffs (in large numbers) leaving the Sussexes in 2018-2019 put out by the Daily Mail (& other tabloids) did have a negative toll on Harry & Meghan. Well, Meghan more specifically, given she mentioned in her lawsuit that she felt unprotected by the Royal Family as an institution.

Of course, these are just my thoughts and (possibly very off) speculation :lol:

The article actually states that 2 of the women who lost their jobs have formed their own company and now have H&M as clients.

Roya Nikkhah has written an article on Meghan's privacy court case, particularly on how the courtiers and palace staff allegedly pray/hope that the trial would end without Meghan appearing in Court.

Palace prays Meghan can avoid her day in court
Courtiers hope a bid to end the Duchess of Sussex’s privacy fight before a trial will spare the royals’ blushes
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/palace-prays-meghan-can-avoid-her-day-in-court-7cjpwgckx

Whilst I would think most of them hope this will end without a trial and maybe that they should never have been so litigious in the first place, I don't think they particularly need to worry about what might come out if it happens.

The judge has made it very clear he considers a lot of things Meghan's barrister was trying to pin to the case irrelevant, including a lot of things about how she felt the BRF supported her or not and turning this case into a general trial of her time in the UK.

Whilst I would think most of them hope this will end without a trial and maybe that they should never have been so litigious in the first place, I don't think they particularly need to worry about what might come out if it happens.

The judge has made it very clear he considers a lot of things Meghan's barrister was trying to pin to the case irrelevant, including a lot of things about how she felt the BRF supported her or not and turning this case into a general trial of her time in the UK.

I think they are more worried of the Streisand effect - the recent Depp/Heard court case has shown that too. Regardless of what this was about to beginning other details will emerge and be discussed and expanded on. Some of it might even leaked to the media - it is too much and the palace PR this year is very clear what there priorities are this year - they need the press focused and not going off on tangents.

In regards to the High Court hearing, the date has been moved from 11th to 19th January. Meghan apparently has applied for summary judgement, which means if granted, the full trial would be avoided.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
A change of date for the next High Court stage of Meghan's legal action against the Mail on Sunday for publishing her personal letter to her father.
It will now be heard on Tuesday 19 January.
Meghan has applied for a "summary judgement". If granted a full trial would be avoided.
11:15 PM · Jan 6, 2021·Twitter Web App​

New Date Set for Hearing in Meghan Markle's Legal Battle Over a Letter to Her Father
The long-running legal battle has taken many twists and turns over the past 15 months.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...gal-battle-summary-judgment-hearing-date-set/

"...combined costs estimated to have reached 3 million.."

granted, i have no idea what your average courtcase costs, but...wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom