Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the plan was to forge a new life, new way of doing things and change things up completely, having these lawsuits over their heads and the convoluted mess its created, is totally detrimental to going forward. Its constantly keeping every little, ugly tidbit about "wrongs" and "biases" and "mistreatment" alive and well and some would say that now, its even growing bigger and badder and flashing neon lights on a whole lot of trivial things that have grown into mountains of wrongs.

you'd have thought so! had they spoken to HM and charles about their plans to quit and moved on quietly without the lawsuits & the drama and lived off harry's and meghan's own fortunes as private individuals they'd now be enjoying a peaceful, privileged, private life.

i thought they said that was what they wanted but clearly that wasn't ALL they wanted. otherwise, why the need for the drama over their exit, for airing the dirty laundry and for launching a website to promote themselves and explain how they were right and others were wrong?

I do not think Meghan or Harry entered the marriage with the intention of moving away to either USA or Canada. IMO things did not go the way Meghan thought they would, i.e. the protocol the pecking order. I do not intend that to be a nasty comment , just that she did not give herself time to find out about the way the system works. It has went on for 1000 years, and however slowly it has changed.
When you consider the courtship it was back and forward over the Atlantic, how much of the inside story did she have a chance to work out.
It must have came as a tremendous shock to her to discover the limitations that she had now been placed under.

I am not going to rehash old conversations and examples, that I think IMO were game changers, just that I am quite sad about the whole mess. There is a feeling of a red line that has now been crossed.
They appeared to have used the court case as a vehicle to make public their grievances.
IMO they will regret this, it is now affecting the Crown and her majesty will not stand by and allow this to happen.
They appear to be dependant on funding at the moment , how long will this last or what restrictions will be placed on them. You do not bite the hand that feeds you.

yes, i don't think they married thinking they'd move out. no one in their right mind would. but their view of royal life clearly changed - rumours indicate that it happened over many things: H&M's relationship with william getting worse, meghan's treatment by the press and possibly by insiders. H&M's place in the pecking order... i find it hard to accept they'd get upset over this. they knew clearly what their role would be before they married!

an issue that i would have expected HM and charles to have pointed out was that there were blatant issues which needed addressing with harry and meghan marrying. namely:

- the short length of their courtship which also took place from a distance - they met in july 2016, and got engaged in november 2017. hardly enough time for a normal couple, one that lives in the same town/city and doesn't have any royal commitments, let alone a future prince/princess of the UK.
- meghan's background. as an american, this meant meghan's inexperience on the UK and the monarchy. as an actress, her 'hollywood' way of thinking/behaving couldn't have been further from the stiff upper lip monarchy.

both of these would be resolved with time. this was precisely what william advised (but they didn't listen). had they taken some time, they'd have been able to get meghan introduced to the UK, to the royal family and its work, to what is expected of them. they'd have had time to 'polish' her CV - get her involved with charities and worthwhile causes so that the public has more to go with than 'meghan markle, the actress of suits'. something similar was done for sofia of sweden who had a less than princessy CV (with project playground and voluntary work in Ghana), and it seemed to work quite well to rehabilitate her image.

but again, H&M decided to go their way and not listen. and the repercusions we are seeing until today.

i wouldn't be surprised if in april 2021, when they re-assess their situation they will let them go completely.

carolta, I have a strong feeling that they will be let go completely before 2021. JMO

The mistake was Meghan trying to turn this lawsuit into a privacy/defamation combo. They should be two separate cases. If Meghan backs out the vicious press wins. I hope she and her lawyers regroup and take a new tact.

I cannot believe that her lawyers think they have a chance of winning the copyright case-otherwise they would not be muddling the waters by adding all this 'nonsense' to it.

This was a very ill thought out lawsuit and they know they are losing-that is why they are choosing to air any and all grievances out in official court filings

Charles is never going to cut his son off....and that’s the sad thing about it. Harry supporting Meghan is tantamount to also throwing his family under the bus, but he knows that even if his brother remains distant from him, his father won’t...and either will the Queen.. There has to be the fear that if they act too harshly (from Harry’s POV), Harry may cut them off. He’s chosen his wife over his family - his father, brother, grandparents - so his loyalties are with Meghan.

Charles will always support his son. His son does not need to be HRH The Duke of Sussex to get that support, though

As far as I know Harry and Meghan tried to settle. They went to court because the Daily Mail and co. refused to settle. They had to announce the court case after the Africa tour due to timing. It had nothing to do with the tour or the interview.

The DM was not willing to settle. It was said that they even tried to drop the suit but the DM would not agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DM was not willing to settle. It was said that they even tried to drop the suit but the DM would not agree.

Maybe, just maybe the DM recognized a cash cow when it wandered into its pastures. :whistling:

Maybe, just maybe the DM recognized a cash cow when it wandered into its pastures. :whistling:

Bingo. They can lose the lawsuit and still come out ahead financially. However, now it seems like they will not even lose the lawsuit and both sides know it

The way I see it Harry was having trouble coming into terms with his "new status" in the Family after William got married (on top of his previous issues from his troubled childhood and teenage years). Then Meghan came along (after Harry had already been rejected by other women who opted out of a possible royal life) and, instead of providing him with much needed stability (as many posters here expected) , she actually made things worse causing further strains with the Cambridges and perhaps even the PoW. Harry and Meghan plotted their exit then and didn't get the response they expected from the RF, the British government and the Canadians, and were not as succesful as they believed they would be in lauching their "brand", which, as of now, hasn't really taken off. That made them even more frustated and more likely to react in anger.

Excellent point. This is the crux of the matter. They (She) are lashing out because they vastly overestimated their "demand". They are finding out that without the aura of Royalty they are not that much of a sell. COVID-19 has reshaped the world for a long time to come and this does not help them with their "branding". There is a lot of frustration and anger in them that is boiling over

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Covid-19 could turn out to be a blessing for this couple. If they were to lose the lawsuit that could be a stepping point in which H&M take stock of things and as they're still within "the year in review" by both sides (I'm assuming), it could be deemed that *because* of the virus and how its drastically changed things in 2020, they decide the best move is to return to the fold like the Prodigal Son.

Its a way out and would show a family reunited and forgiven and the wayward couple had faced and adjusted their plans accordingly. Of course this is the type of thinking one would normally do after inhaling happy gas or busy writing science fiction but hey.... its possible. :whistling:

Perhaps Covid-19 could turn out to be a blessing for this couple. If they were to lose the lawsuit that could be a stepping point in which H&M take stock of things and as they're still within "the year in review" by both sides (I'm assuming), it could be deemed that *because* of the virus and how its drastically changed things in 2020, they decide the best move is to return to the fold like the Prodigal Son.

Its a way out and would show a family reunited and forgiven and the wayward couple had faced and adjusted their plans accordingly. Of course this is the type of thinking one would normally do after inhaling happy gas or busy writing science fiction but hey.... its possible. :whistling:

Unless the Queen and Charles decide they want the monarchy to end, they’ll not agree to Meghan ever setting foot in the UK. Harry is blood and will be publicly welcomed back and then hidden away somewhere for a few years

If this stuff is in the court proceedings what on earth will be in the book.

It does make you wonder how far they are going to push things with the book doesn't it!

They have clearly passed the point of caring about the relationship with the RF at this point. Getting the upper-hand PR wise seems to be far more important now.

It's also interesting that Meghan filed her issue regarding feeling unprotected by the institution as that is exactly what 'friends/sources' have been leaking to (friendly) media over the last few months... Goes to show that they really are behind some of the leaks themselves imo which goes against their woe is me spin on others talking about them!

It does make you wonder how far they are going to push things with the book doesn't it!

They have clearly passed the point of caring about the relationship with the RF at this point. Getting the upper-hand PR wise seems to be far more important now.

It's also interesting that Meghan filed her issue regarding feeling unprotected by the institution as that is exactly what 'friends/sources' have been leaking to (friendly) media over the last few months... Goes to show that they really are behind some of the leaks themselves imo which goes against their woe is me spin on others talking about them!

I agree about the leaks, IMO also leaks against other family members.

Is everyone of the opinion that they have takin part in this book and given interviews. Ala Diana and Morten? If so what will be the Charles, Penny Juror Reply? Cos I do not see William getting involved in that?

The DM won't back down, they may win and even better for them, they will humiliate them. Ala Satachi when he wanted to humiliate Nigella Lawson in court by suing their assistants. Except in that case, Nigella is a journalist and he an awful human and the media didn't bite. Still humiliating for her.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going to happen with the case tbh. I think purely on a copyright issue Meghan stands a good chance but I think she's muddied the water so to speak by trying to turn a copyright issue case into something else and throwing all her dirty washing out there in order to gain sympathy.

I also don't believe for a second that FIVE individual friends got together and went to the press behind her back. She for sure gave the nod at the very least, and it is that fiasco that kickstarted this whole mess as her father then felt the need to retaliate with the letter:argh:

Either way the Mail wins because they are making a fortune out of the drama

I'm not sure what's going to happen with the case tbh. I think purely on a copyright issue Meghan stands a good chance but I think she's muddied the water so to speak by trying to turn a copyright issue case into something else and throwing all her dirty washing out there in order to gain sympathy.

I also don't believe for a second that FIVE individual friends got together and went to the press behind her back. She for sure gave the nod at the very least, and it is that fiasco that kickstarted this whole mess as her father then felt the need to retaliate with the letter:argh:

Either way the Mail wins because they are making a fortune out of the drama

Like you I think the issue of the letter might go in her favour, but the friends speaking out first just might go against her.

Her friends speaking out should not really be a factor since she is saying they did so on their own and not at her request.

LaRae

Her friends speaking out should not really be a factor since she is saying they did so on their own and not at her request.

LaRae

And it’s up to the judge to decide if he buys that argument

And it’s up to the judge to decide if he buys that argument

It's a pivotal one because if she, as in the people speaking for her, put the letter in the public domain, it changes things massively to the other sides favour.

It's a pivotal one because if she, as in the people speaking for her, put the letter in the public domain, it changes things massively to the other sides favour.

Exactly. Back when this started, I thought she would be crazy not to settle. I was told by people here that because she basically had a slam dunk on the legal points and that well...that I was a little stupid about things and how they work.:lol:

I admit to being naive--she threw her friends under the bus and I didn't see that coming.

i wouldn't be surprised if in april 2021, when they re-assess their situation they will let them go completely.

I think they'll have to before that. They can't have them using the titles they aren't supposed to be using in the first place to undermine the royal family. And her attitude seems to be he'll have access to his titles no matter what they do.

Oh and I'm slowly starting to agree with this the more they put negative things out there about the rest of the royal family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/columni...arry-lecturing-McMansion-writes-JAN-MOIR.html

Last edited:
Unless the Queen and Charles decide they want the monarchy to end, they’ll not agree to Meghan ever setting foot in the UK. Harry is blood and will be publicly welcomed back and then hidden away somewhere for a few years

I'll be honest, I would LOVE for HM and Charles to put their foot down about Meghan, even if it meant losing Harry............but, that will never happen, especially on Charles' behalf. He's not about to risk his son hating him. He's in a tricky spot because Harry is so sensitive and so seemingly insistent that Meghan is right about anything she says (so, if she says the BRF didn't protect her, then they didn't protect her). If he says anything against Meghan.....well, we saw how Harry acted towards William; I have no doubt he'd treat his father the same way. Harry will not return without Meghan, of that I have no doubt.

Responding to your previous comment:

Charles will always support his son. His son does not need to be HRH The Duke of Sussex to get that support, though

No he doesn't, but Charles supporting his son is one thing - Harry accepting his father is quite another. If indeed it's true that he and Meghan were jealous of William and Kate getting the procession in the Commonwealth service, and it makes sense, than I can believe they were jealous about W and K getting Kensington Palace as sort of a "court" while Charles and HM wouldn't grant Windsor as something similar to H and M. In other words, Harry would be angry if he had his title stripped......I don't see Charles as wanting to risk that.

On another note, someone mentioned that at this point H and M are looking for good PR - that they've already burned bridges with the BRF. I have to say, I think they are well past the point of good PR. If anyone is getting good PR for how they've handled things, it's the BRF. H and M just seem to somehow keep putting their feet in their mouths.

Last edited:

For the Sussex's to go up against the Crown and the British tabloid press at the same time and expect to win is not realistic.

Those 'sources' may well have been speaking the truth. And the Sussexes aren't the first and certainly won't be the last royals in the BRF to leak their side of events and issues to 'friendly media'.

The York girls careers have literally nothing to do with who they are. Quite feat really. They managed nicely, much like Princess Margaret's children.

That a Meghan married into a situation she didn't understand and where she found herself out of depth, I sympathise with. I also think she is probably a lot more intelligent than many if not most royals. But this isn't the way to do it.

Meghan thought her star wattage harnessed with Harry's burnished Favorite Royal Lad image would be more important than the line of succession and the part it plays in Royal life.

Those 'sources' may well have been speaking the truth. And the Sussexes aren't the first and certainly won't be the last royals in the BRF to leak their side of events and issues to 'friendly media'.

But few other royals have combined it with a lawsuit against other media, and then, possibly inadvertently risk of getting the two mingled...without knowing all the in's and out's it seems that H&M are making their situation trickier for themselves..

I think she's going to have a hard time getting away with the argument that she didn't know they were going to give that interview to People magazine because she hasn't sued the friends or People magazine. She was seemingly ok with this breach of copyright/privacy because the message was one she liked .

I think she's going to have a hard time getting away with the argument that she didn't know they were going to give that interview to People magazine because she hasn't sued the friends or People magazine. She was seemingly ok with this breach of copyright/privacy because the message was one she liked .

That is a very good point, or is it because they did not print the actual letter just brought it to the worlds attention with a summary of the contents.

I think there was something at the time of the War of the Wales, I am sure the press commission or whatever its name was or is at the time released a statement basically saying that both parties had been using the press to their own ends. I will try and find that on line.

I think there was something at the time of the War of the Wales, I am sure the press commission or whatever its name was or is at the time released a statement basically saying that both parties had been using the press to their own ends. I will try and find that on line.

I think, though I'm not sure, that the Press Commission referred to Diana but not to Charles. The phrase used was that Diana had "invaded her own privacy"
Re Meghan, I thought that she had authorized her friends to talk about the letter to her father etc, but now she's saying that she didn't? .

I think, though I'm not sure, that the Press Commission referred to Diana but not to Charles. The phrase used was that Diana had "invaded her own privacy"
Re Meghan, I thought that she had authorized her friends to talk about the letter to her father etc, but now she's saying that she didn't? .

That could be correct, I couldn't remember the exact detail but knew there had been a reference to using the press. I have been trying to find it on line.
We are still in partial lockdown plus it is pouring with rain, I will have a look.

okay - since we are completely ignoring the topic of the thread. I present my little bit

I t. Things are going great - popularity soaring and after tour of Australia releases that she has more control then she realizes. She fires the royal doctors and gets her own. They get their own PR company and split from the Cambridge household. Then they say they will not announce birth and will have a private family event and not announce the god parents and such. Everyone is a bit confused as the press and in turn the British public have been frozen out of a royal birth. But there was more going on there - I am thinking there was an exclusive TV talk, possibly Gayle King and an exclusive photo shot. There was something rather large that the Palace vetoed before Archie's birth.
And that was when they decided to leave. Think about it they had been approached by many offers of money, access and freebees that they wanted to accept and they have been told they couldn't. Harry starts seeing the problem as well - they are the most popular why cant they benefit from their hard work and it is their life why cant they live it the way they want. So they draw up the plan to became part time royals - allowing for them to accept these offers and do the exciting projects with celebrities that they have been offered.
It is possible you're right. I am not sure what was in Meg's mind or Harry's.. but i can't help thinking that this desire or plan to leave didn't just happen in the Autumn of 2019.. I'm not sure when it did happen but even though they don't seem to have thought it out that well, I think that yes, the desire/plan to leave started at least during her pregnancy... so it wasn't badly organized because it was a rushed plan, it was badly organised because they're not that smart.
I thought It was odd the way they behaved over the birth, and it did annoy the media, who became more unfriendly.. And I don't know why they could not have thrown the media the occasional bone.. except that... they knew they were going to leave and didn't care??
I can't understand why Harry DIDNT seem to make it clear to Meghan that being royal mean they could not work for themselves, if they were full time working royals.. and that they couldn't take media deals...
And I cant help feeling that some of it was Harry getting upset on his wife's behalf because he felt she was getting a lot of flak in the papers, and her saying" We don't have to put up with this, at least not full time. We can drop out, go part time.. and if we need money, we can make it for ourselves.."

That could be correct, I couldn't remember the exact detail but knew there had been a reference to using the press. I have been trying to find it on line.
We are still in partial lockdown plus it is pouring with rain, I will have a look.

Its possible that Charles was criticized as well but I think it was explicitly Diana.. who had denied that she'd been involved with the book "Diana Her true Story" but she had been briefing the media quite a lot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom