Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A super injunction is taken extremely seriously and no newspaper to my knowledge has ever broken one. And there are many that even around 30 years. Some have come out and explained why they took one out in most all cases super injunctions are granted to protect children. Now twitter. Well you know.

The British media by and large are honourable. There are only a few who are despicable but absolutely no one listens to them anyway. I was appalled by them printing a very well known actors online dating profile recently but the actor was abroad, ignored it and the story literally lasted a day. Thank goodness. I have cringed over things the media have done to people but necer have at Meghan and Harry. It's all tribe ...and her family.

Which ones are honorable? Because the majority especially the larger ones (the Sun, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Telegraph) have all told lies and untruths about Meghan/Harry. It doesn't stop there then tv media (Loose Women, Sky News, ITV, BBC Breakfast & GMB to name a few) takes those lies and untruths and talked about them at nausea and spreading the rumors.

Unfortunately, the Sussexes can't sue them all on at once so they started with the most blatant violations.

Titles like the Sun and Mirror are picked up by Blue Collar types to look at whilst scoffing 'the full english' at the caff..
The Mail and Express by housewives, at the checkout whilst paying for a Supermarket shop..

Really none of the content of ANY of them 'stays in the mind' longer than it takes to read them.. and class/political allegiance are based on FAR deeper levels than the tripe these papers produce..

Its inexplicable to me why they are considered SO important in their influence on the British psyche - ever reducing numbers of people buy them, and even fewer take them seriously..

Well that is just it. Influential as a symbol but that is unrelated to what they are. As for their influence. Undeniably on a political front they are massively influential. Also interms of opinion of the royal family. They just decided they hate Harry and Meghan. I mean these are papers who excused the nazi outfit and the stripe poker. Because he was 'our harry.' He stopped even saying hello to them and they turned. It isn't rocket science.

Titles like the Sun and Mirror are picked up by Blue Collar types to look at whilst scoffing 'the full english' at the caff..
The Mail and Express by housewives, at the checkout whilst paying for a Supermarket shop..

Really none of the content of ANY of them 'stays in the mind' longer than it takes to read them.. and class/political allegiance are based on FAR deeper things than the tripe these papers produce..

Its inexplicable to me why they are considered SO important in their influence on the British psyche - ever reducing numbers of people buy them, and even fewer take them seriously..Let alone as 'GOSPEL'

Agreed! But this is wha I asked: why on earth do H&M take them so sérious, it's ridiculous.
Though I am reading a MA theses about the British Press which unveils a lot to me.

why did he stop saying hello to them? Generally Harry got good press, though he was criticised at times.

Which ones are honorable? Because the majority especially the larger ones (the Sun, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Telegraph) have all told lies and untruths about Meghan/Harry. It doesn't stop there then tv media (Loose Women, Sky News, ITV, BBC Breakfast & GMB to name a few) takes those lies and untruths and talked about them at nausea and spreading the rumors.

Unfortunately, the Sussexes can't sue them all on at once so they started with the most blatant violations.

I would seriously rethink branding the BBC and The Telegraph as liars. They publish opinion pieces sure. And newspapers, as everyone can be, can be one sided. The broadsheets and the main media do not sell lies as truth. But everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is stated as such.

Harry and Meghan believe that their version of the story is the right one. They want to control the narrative. Unfortunately they have forgotten that we all have the right to choose how we act but we are powerless to control the reactions of others. Basically they don't want to be accountable but anyone who is publicly funded is.

Last edited:
they are light reading and most people don't take them seriously. and other coutnries have media that are full of gossip as well...

I think it is far more behind and the British tabloids are far more gossiping and do not obey the press code in many many ways, while the press code itself is another story , so Britain can not be compared to any other country or tabloids.
But as I write before, I do not understand why H&M take it so seriously. Maybe again in H's case it is a lack of education if not intelligence to behave like this.

why did he stop saying hello to them? Generally Harry got good press, though he was criticised at times.

He met Meghan. They got serious and he stopped giving them so much as a how do you do. He changed.

I think it is far more behind and the British tabloids are far more gossiping and do not obey the press code in many many ways, while the press code itself is another story , so Britain can not be compared to any other country or tabloids.
But as I write before, I do not understand why H&M take it so seriously. Maybe again in H's case it is a lack of education if not intelligence to behave like this.

If you think so.
and if you think its foolish of Harry and Meg to take it so seriously, why? YOu cleary think the British tabloids are terrible... though I've seen American ones that are wildly wrorng as well. So why wouldn't Harry and Meg who are unkindly portrayed at times take it badly? Esp since he is bound to have bad feelings about the press photographers who chased his mother.

There are all sorts of ridiculous gossip sites, which come up on the Yahoo and Bing home pages as clickbait. Royal gossip, celeb gossip, even claims about forthcoming storylines in popular TV soap operas. If someone's physically being hassled by photographers, or long lenses are being used, or if very personal information such as Gareth Thomas's HIV status or allegations about an affair are being published, then that is a problem, but a lot of it is best ignored. It's a very large scale version of someone spreading nasty stories in the school playground.

I know that one of the main problems these days (not just for H&M) is that a lie published by one newspaper travels very quickly right around the world to multiple media outlets & is repeated time & time again in subsequent articles, TV progs, podcasts etc. until people cite it as a certain fact. Now that H&M have their own PR they can at least publish corrections through their own social media. I wonder if they'd have held back on the legal action if they'd been able to contradict stories while they were still within the firm.

He met Meghan. They got serious and he stopped giving them so much as a how do you do. He changed.

So.. these gossip rags attacked his wife, Harry didn't like so he let them feel it, but it's all Harry's fault. He's the one that changed. See, this is the thing I don't get. None of us would accept it it were someone we loved, but too many people here expect any member of the BRF to just "put up with it". "Putting up with it" always helps the bully.

The gossip rags are pissed of because their victim doesn't want to be bullied and fights back. Perhaps if they had not bullied Meghan (and Harry) he'd still talk to them and none of this would have happened. This ganging up of a number of mags/papers on certain people is just so wrong I'm surprised so many people find it acceptable.

"put up with it"

Well they didn't, did they ? They simply left, to an uncertain future 'elsewhere'...

If you think so.
and if you think its foolish of Harry and Meg to take it so seriously, why? YOu cleary think the British tabloids are terrible... though I've seen American ones that are wildly wrorng as well. So why wouldn't Harry and Meg who are unkindly portrayed at times take it badly? Esp since he is bound to have bad feelings about the press photographers who chased his mother.

I do not know Us mags and I do not say the british are terrible but took a closer look at a different level which tells me why there are differences to other countries. My question was concerning the british readers who buy this gossip at a large amount and why H&M take this so serios.
In Germany f.e. people are hardly interested in what is called " boulevard" journalism, though the " Bild" is existing, the country has a different history of journalism and a large number buys local newspapers, political magazines are very popular ....

Uk is simply different and H& M could just ignore it, if they don't its their approach but will hardly work but the two must do different and refuse to learn that' s their own
&only definition of themselves, maybe a bad choice concerning the press.

Last edited:
I do not know Us mags and I do not say the british are terrible but took a closer look at a different level which tells me why there are differences to other countries. My question was concerning the british readers who buy this gossip at a large amount and why H&M take this so serios.
In Germany f.e. people are hardly interested in what is called " boulevard" journalism, though the " Bild" is existing, the country has a different history of journalism and a large number buys local newspapers, political magazines are very popular ....

Uk is simply different and H& M could just ignore it, if they don't its their approach but will hardly work but the two must do different and refuse to learn that' s their own

BILD is the only major and very powerful tabloid magazine in Germany. It is able to shape opinion and even though readers will take a lot of the stories with a grain of salt, very often it drops bombshells that turn out to be true, our Head of State had to resign because he threatened the chief editor, leaving a nasty message on his mailbox.

I predict that as soon as the protection of the Royal House has gone, yes, I truly believe they were being protected by their status, it will become H&M's full time job to go on war with the papers, suing, countersuing, producing more headlines, becoming more bitter and aggressive (especially Harry). It seems that they are unable to ignore the negative headlines and cannot leave the game because they believe they can control and enforce the positive headlines only.

On the one hand you seem to be claiming that British tabloid journalism is a terirlble thing.. yet saying that Harry and Meg should just ignore it.

I would seriously rethink branding the BBC and The Telegraph as liars. They publish opinion pieces sure. And newspapers, as everyone can be, can be one sided. The broadsheets and the main media do not sell lies as truth. But everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is stated as such.

Harry and Meghan believe that their version of the story is the right one. They want to control the narrative. Unfortunately they have forgotten that we all have the right to choose how we act but we are powerless to control the reactions of others. Basically they don't want to be accountable but anyone who is publicly funded is.

I didn't say the BBC was a liar (although they maybe). I noted they take lies from the newspapers and talk about them at nausea. As for the Telegraph, they wrote a hit piece on Meghan when the Together Cookbook came out, one with a headline "Meghan's Mosque" Meghan doesn't own a Mosque nor does she attend one for religious purposes. Then the article went on to say that by helping the Hubb women in a kitchen attached to the mosque she is tied to terrorism.

Lack of education? Just because one doesn't go to University/College doesn't mean they lack education. I bet Harry learned skills/information in the military that some with degrees don't know/have. (Strategy, Teamwork, Research, Planning just to name a few).

None of that has anything to do with a lawsuit holding the media accountable for their actions. The Sussexes took it seriously because it is their lives. It is easy to sit back and say just take it when you aren't one being impacted by the lies and harassment. They have worked hard on behalf of UK/Commonwealth people and even others around the world and for the unethical media to come in and try to destroy is wrong and the Sussexes have a right to hold them accountable.

BILD is the only major and very powerful tabloid magazine in Germany. It is able to shape opinion and even though readers will take a lot of the stories with a grain of salt, very often it drops bombshells that turn out to be true, our Head of State had to resign because he threatened the chief editor, leaving a nasty message on his mailbox.

I predict that as soon as the protection of the Royal House has gone, yes, I truly believe they were being protected by their status, it will become H&M's full time job to go on war with the papers, suing, countersuing, producing more headlines, becoming more bitter and aggressive (especially Harry). It seems that they are unable to ignore the negative headlines and cannot leave the game because they believe they can control and enforce the positive headlines only.
I hope not. I am not Harry's biggest fan but he is at heart a decent young man and I am a little concerned that he's making a mistake not just in leaving the UK but if he does get embroiled in suing and battles with the press. Unless he leads a private life, they are likely to be around him.. and even if he doesn't like them, he needs to have a working relationship with them. I agree that the more fighting they do, unless it is an important complaint, the more notice they will get..back and forth, back and forth...

On the one hand you seem to be claiming that British tabloid journalism is a terirlble thing.. yet saying that Harry and Meg should just ignore it.

Sorry, but you do not get the point, never mind.
Have a nice evening Denville.

I agree with H& M being unable to ignore.
By the way the German culture of press reading/ consumption is very different to the british one. Especially as I pointed out in another post, readers have regional newspapers, alongside political mags and though many buy Bild it is not the only one read usually.

The more they go on about it, the more talk it'll generate. Everyone and their dog seems to be publicly expressing an opinion about it all - the latest being an unpleasant politician who is no longer a Member of Parliament but wants some publicity. We've even had BBC Question Time, usually a debating forum for major political issues, focusing on whether or not Meghan has been unfairly treated by the press. It's a vicious circle.

So.. these gossip rags attacked his wife, Harry didn't like so he let them feel it, but it's all Harry's fault. He's the one that changed. See, this is the thing I don't get. None of us would accept it it were someone we loved, but too many people here expect any member of the BRF to just "put up with it". "Putting up with it" always helps the bully.

The gossip rags are pissed of because their victim doesn't want to be bullied and fights back. Perhaps if they had not bullied Meghan (and Harry) he'd still talk to them and none of this would have happened. This ganging up of a number of mags/papers on certain people is just so wrong I'm surprised so many people find it acceptable.

A chat on endemic sexism is beyond this. But I was answering a question on when he stopped talking to the media. Unfortunately for them. The treating the media bay actually predated the all out dislike of Meghan...again a show of sexism I am sure. It did come after the Daddy markle stuff though.

Meghan doesn't matter to the British media. Harry does. They loved Harry and Harry changed so they blamed the wife. And if that isn't a tale of our times.

I didn't say the BBC was a liar (although they maybe). I noted they take lies from the newspapers and talk about them at nausea. As for the Telegraph, they wrote a hit piece on Meghan when the Together Cookbook came out, one with a headline "Meghan's Mosque" Meghan doesn't own a Mosque nor does she attend one for religious purposes. Then the article went on to say that by helping the Hubb women in a kitchen attached to the mosque she is tied to terrorism.

Lack of education? Just because one doesn't go to University/College doesn't mean they lack education. I bet Harry learned skills/information in the military that some with degrees don't know/have. (Strategy, Teamwork, Research, Planning just to name a few).

None of that has anything to do with a lawsuit holding the media accountable for their actions. The Sussexes took it seriously because it is their lives. It is easy to sit back and say just take it when you aren't one being impacted by the lies and harassment. They have worked hard on behalf of UK/Commonwealth people and even others around the world and for the unethical media to come in and try to destroy is wrong and the Sussexes have a right to hold them accountable.

The Telegraph is a very well respected, conservative, paper. Just because they wrote a hit piece does not change that. Everyone thinks their point of view is right one.

And Harry is under educated. He has lots of smarts and talents and capabilities but school wasn't his thing and neither really is this. Harry and Meghan were treated positively always in the UK. People were excited to see them. They were doing great work and he let the media destroy that. He is obsessed with the media and he let a demon that needed to be managed control him. He was loved and people genuinely cared about him. As much as they care about public people and now it's gone for him really. But public love is empty. I just feel sorry for him. Little by little things will just change. People won't call back, there will be less to do. Because at the end of it he is just like them all, even his grandmother. An average human, not particularly clever or talented, who was made extradinary because of an accident of birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
People wanted them gone. Now they are. I remember some of the royal correspondents threatening to not cover them after Archie was born. Well now they no longer need to. Simple. They made that decision for you.

These lawsuits are what they feel is needed. That is their right and the court will decide one way or another. Come spring they will no longer be working members of the BRF. And everyone will start their new journeys.

Seems they all already have anyways. Now it is just technicalities left. This lawsuit with MoS will likely heat up in the summer time. Probably over by the fall. But we shall see.

Well I've already said - Tom Cruise sued everyone in sight and it didn't work out for him. Sorry, he's the first person that pops into my mind when I read this.

Diana divorced Charles and they hounded her harder. And they weren't nice to Fergie either.

As for the media there are hoards of social media sites where they say all sorts of horrible things about these two. Things I wouldn't post here.

So it's not just the media. Nowadays it's individual people on twitter and Instagram who put up all sorts of terrible things.

You can't sue them all.

They not suing them all. They suing two for very specific reasons. It doesn't matter what people on these boards say. We all have opinions but we not break a law. These papers potentially are therefore it is their place to prove their case.

Simple as that. Either they will win it or they won't.

The Telegraph is a very well respected, conservative, paper. Just because they wrote a hit piece does not change that. Everyone thinks their point of view is right one.

And Harry is under educated. He has lots of smarts and talents and capabilities but school wasn't his thing and neither really is this. Harry and Meghan were treated positively always in the UK. People were excited to see them. They were doing great work and he let the media destroy that. He is obsessed with the media and he let a demon that needed to be managed control him. He was loved and people genuinely cared about him. As much as they care about public people and now it's gone for him really. But public love is empty. I just feel sorry for him. Little by little things will just change. People won't call back, there will be less to do. Because at the end of it he is just like them all, even his grandmother. An average human, not particularly clever or talented, who was made extradinary because of an accident of birth.

Exactly! And when I said lack of eduction not only academic education was on my mind,
the way those two acted shows clearly there are deficits.
And though I like HM , a lot of things that occured during decades base on the faults she& Philip made starting with the upbringing...... afterwards handling persons and challenges inside the RF, showing a certain unawareness .....
sad but true and this "example" is somehow outstanding in its negativity compared to other royal houses.

There was some old footage on TV the other day of Harry just after he came out of the Army, showing how brilliant he was with injured service personnel, and also with young children. It made me feel quite sad. That accident of birth that makes you royal gives you the chance to do great things. The same with someone who marries royalty: I was not a fan of Diana, but she did some wonderful things, notably making people realise that you couldn't contract HIV the way you catch a cold. Harry could have done so much, but he's chosen not to.

Well I've already said - Tom Cruise sued everyone in sight and it didn't work out for him. Sorry, he's the first person that pops into my mind when I read this.

Diana divorced Charles and they hounded her harder. And they weren't nice to Fergie either.

As for the media there are hoards of social media sites where they say all sorts of horrible things about these two. Things I wouldn't post here.

So it's not just the media. Nowadays it's individual people on twitter and Instagram who put up all sorts of terrible things.

You can't sue them all.

That is so true, if the law is ever changed re social media, a great deal of people will need to watch out. There has been more nastiness, sexism, racism and everything else across social media than there has ever been in print.

I am not going in to the specifics of the case but one you go down the road of denying a specific story or threatening to sue you have to watch, because you then set a precedence.

There was criticism that the palace did not deny certain stories or offer support when stories were printed, the problem is you deny everything or nothing. If you are selective in what you deny it then raises a question mark against the story not denied.

Exactly! And when I said lack of eduction not only academic education was on my mind,
the way those two acted shows clearly there are deficits.
And though I like HM , a lot of things that occured during decades base on the faults she& Philip made starting with the upbringing...... afterwards handling persons and challenges inside the RF, showing a certain unawareness .....
sad but true and this "example" is somehow outstanding in its negativity compared to other royal houses.

There are times when common sense and experience can out weigh a university degree.

Times change, how children are brought up changes, it has nothing to do with education or lack of. Whether you agree or disagree with the actions of the queen over the years or with H & M, her majesty put duty first. She has served this country all her life, she knew from a young age she would probably be queen, she was crowned in her twenties.
I am also of the opinion that is why she allowed William and Kate time in the early days free of duties to build their family life, something she missed out on I am sure H & M would have been given the same opportunities if they had wished.

They not suing them all. They suing two for very specific reasons. It doesn't matter what people on these boards say. We all have opinions but we not break a law. These papers potentially are therefore it is their place to prove their case.

Simple as that. Either they will win it or they won't.

Well with one she's basically suing her own father. No way to do that and come out ahead. And the letter didn't say anything that made her look bad that I could see.

I actually thought the letter made her look good. She's criticized for not reaching out to him and she clearly did at one point if she wrote that letter.

Last edited:
That is so true, if the law is ever changed re social media, a great deal of people will need to watch out. There has been more nastiness, sexism, racism and everything else across social media than there has ever been in print.

I am not going in to the specifics of the case but one you go down the road of denying a specific story or threatening to sue you have to watch, because you then set a precedence.

There was criticism that the palace did not deny certain stories or offer support when stories were printed, the problem is you deny everything or nothing. If you are selective in what you deny it then raises a question mark against the story not denied.

That is what I asked and mentioned before, there is hardly much done in the UK,
that is both a question of constitution, law, sense of privacy and especially the press code is" nothing" compared to other countries.
But still then I wonder why H&M take these tabloids so serious... we will see, at least at the moment they seem to hide which I think is a good thing, first think then act;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom