Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK African Women Lawyers Association Letter of Support to HRH The Duchess of Sussex-

Once again, I can’t help but be touched on how much support Meghan is rightfully getting. And they’re right, Meghan, is “owed an apology and better treatment by the media” for her charitable endeavors and royal duties.

The UK African Women Lawyers AssociationLetter of Support to HRH The Duchess of Sussex-

Once again, I can’t help but be touched on how much support Meghan is rightfully getting. And they’re right, Meghan, is “owed an apology and better treatment by the media” for her charitable endeavors and royal duties.

maybe the UK African Women lawyers need to revise the grammatical structure of their public letters, along with the incorrect titling of the person they are defending (meghan markle is not the way she should be publicly addressed anymore) before sending these out...

honestly, the grammatical errors, the incorrect address and the fact that they mention her character 'rachel zane' in the letter makes this letter look completely unprofessional.

Nice to see her getting continued support. I am sure she appreciates it as well.

I think it's great that Meghan is receiving support from women in Parliament and professional bodies. They see very clearly what is happening.

I think it's great that Meghan is receiving support from women in Parliament and professional bodies. They see very clearly what is happening.
Indeed. Time and a lack of Royals to slate, even with the PA situation, has made the excesses of the harassment crystal clear.

The support from female MP's plus this latest letter of support are indicative of 6accepting the reality of the publicity that supposedly comes with the job in that they recognised that their jobs are their real lives unlike almost any other citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK African Women Lawyers Association Letter of Support to HRH The Duchess of Sussex-

It is great to see that Meghan is getting support from around the world!! I hope she sees/hears it.

No one should have to go through the treatment that she has received. It still boggles my mind that this is a whole country's media system.

It is great to see that Meghan is getting support from around the world!! I hope she sees/hears it.

No one should have to go through the treatment that she has received. It still boggles my mind that this is a whole country's media system.

If I understand it correctly, this is a UK based organization, although the replies to the tweet are indeed 'from around the world'.

maybe the UK African Women lawyers need to revise the grammatical structure of their public letters, along with the incorrect titling of the person they are defending (meghan markle is not the way she should be publicly addressed anymore) before sending these out...

honestly, the grammatical errors, the incorrect address and the fact that they mention her character 'rachel zane' in the letter makes this letter look completely unprofessional.

On the one hand, I appreciate the support (although I wonder why it took them so much time and whether sending out this letter while nobody seems to be focusing on the Sussexes won't have the opposite effect of what they try to achieve); on the other hand, I was also surprised about about the grammatical mistakes and wonder whether 'becoming a member of the royal family' should be considered 'the epitome of possibilities that can be achieved by a woman'. What exactly is the achievement: making a member of a specific family fall in love with you? Staying with the guy under all the media pressure could probably be considered an achievement but other than that it seems a little weird to see a royal marriage as the 'epitome of possibilities'.

On the one hand, I appreciate the support (although I wonder why it took them so much time and whether sending out this letter while nobody seems to be focusing on the Sussexes won't have the opposite effect of what they try to achieve); on the other hand, I was also surprised about about the grammatical mistakes and wonder whether 'becoming a member of the royal family' should be considered 'the epitome of possibilities that can be achieved by a woman'. What exactly is the achievement: making a member of a specific family fall in love with you? Staying with the guy under all the media pressure could probably be considered an achievement but other than that it seems a little weird to see a royal marriage as the 'epitome of possibilities'.

I have learned to read words with s's instead of z's, so I'm not going to let grammatical errors get in the way of the message, unless the errors change the message, especially if English isn't their first language.

Also, I read the achieve by a woman statement a little different, it came after mentioning she was a mentor. Meghan has done a lot in her 38 years and one can pick from any of those to see possibilities for women, young girls. It may also be they see being accepted by some of the highest levels in the UK (BRF) means others can be accepted as well. Or it could mean that she went with her heart and married the man she loves despite the difficulties that came with that and is succeeding.

I actually read the statement to suggest that by becoming a member of the royal family (or *a* royal family), the possibilities are endless as it gives a woman a global stage, so to speak, to do amazing things.

Thanks for your perspectives. I am still not sure what they intended to say (partly because of the grammatical issues) - but it's nonetheless interesting to see how such a short statement can be interpreted differently.

And while errors are hard to fully eliminate, especially for non-native speakers but even for native speakers, I would expect a professional organization of UK lawyers to be able to avoid including various mistakes within such a short letter. Using precise language is one of the qualities lawyers need to have.

Last edited:
I think it's a mistake for them to sue the media. Win or lose the media will remember and take it out on them for the rest of their lives. The stories printed about them weren't that bad. All the members of the royal family get picked on the media would have found a new target on their own.

I think it's a mistake for them to sue the media. Win or lose the media will remember and take it out on them for the rest of their lives. The stories printed about them weren't that bad. All the members of the royal family get picked on the media would have found a new target on their own.

Dismissing bad behavior and breaking the law...copyright infringement, phone hacking.... allows for people to believe there is nothing wrong and they will continue the actions knowing there are no ramifications.

I also think it is easy to say it wasn't that bad when one is on the outside looking in. IMO it was bad, they did everything they could to Meghan to harm her reputation in the public's eye, including flat out lying or using double standards for her and there really wasn't a reason to do so. She didn't do anything that bad to warrant that kind of treatment. They released a personal letter by Meghan, have encouraged her father to harm her in public, had a tv personality constantly harass her on-air because she didn't invite him to her wedding. Referred to her child as a monkey, called her vulgar, uppity and other code words for racism all during a very vulnerable time for Meghan....it was bad.

This could also backfire as the judiciary do take very seriously their right to independence. Having, particularly the politicians, come out in support and then have them rule in her favour could be seen to have been political interference in the legal process. The same with the professional bodies.

For a member of the BRF to be taking legal action and then having other groups support them could almost be a cause for the judge to rule against them just to enforce their independence from the influential aspects of society.

The media is being nasty anyways, so does it really matter? Good on them for standing up for themselves especially if The MoS did do something illegal.

Harry and Meghan aren't preventing anyone's right to Independence. Their case of one of legit legal matters. People adding on addition stuff has no baring on the actual case at hand.

The media weaponizing her embittered relatives to get Meghan is just foul. DM claimed it had the whole letter; Meghan's lawyers provided the court a copy of the complete letter, Dad admitted he turned over parts of the letter to DM. I still think DM is setting Dad up to take the fall if the court goes against it.

Very wise words.

They released a personal letter by Meghan......

Actually it was Meghan's father who "released" the letter.

IMO it was bad, they did everything they could to Meghan to harm her reputation in the public's eye, including flat out lying or using double standards for her and there really wasn't a reason to do so. She didn't do anything that bad to warrant that kind of treatment. They released a personal letter by Meghan, have encouraged her father to harm her in public, had a tv personality constantly harass her on-air because she didn't invite him to her wedding. Referred to her child as a monkey, called her vulgar, uppity and other code words for racism all during a very vulnerable time for Meghan....it was bad.

IMO it is a fallacy to assume that the media are a joined-up group that co-operate closely with each other. What you have is a group pf businesses competing with each other for revenue, for circulation and for scoops to augment their sales. Each is the other's competitor, not collaborator. In addition to the established print media, there are many freelance journalists, photographers and online bloggers, a large amorphous group that really do not act in concert. So I am not sure who the "they" you refer to is pointed at.

IMO it is a fallacy to assume that the media are a joined-up group that co-operate closely with each other. What you have is a group pf businesses competing with each other for revenue, for circulation and for scoops to augment their sales. Each is the other's competitor, not collaborator. In addition to the established print media, there are many freelance journalists, photographers and online bloggers, a large amorphous group that really do not act in concert. So I am not sure who the "they" you refer to is pointed at.

Yes, there is no monolithic "they" for reporters, photographers, bloggers, other social media, etc. I think it's important to define exactly who is being referenced in these discussions. It's easy to paint with a broad brush, but not very useful if the objective is to encourage accurate discussion.

I didn't say the media were a joined-up group that co-operated closely which each other (although the royal reporters do spend time on twitter hyping up each others stories). I said they (the media that we are discussing in the lawsuit) did everything they could to harm Meghan's reputation with the public. I don't know if it was done individually or jointly and frankly I don't care, it doesn't change the fact that they made up stories, blatantly lied and did other unethical and sometimes illegal things to harm Meghan (and Harry if you look at the bigger picture).

As for the letter....Meghan's father gave the letter to the DM that isn't illegal (that just makes him a horrible father). What is illegal is for the DM to publish the letter without Meghan's consent and that is being addressed in the lawsuit.

Well if we being technical her father didn't even release it to the public. He handed it to the newspaper who in turn did. Hence the lawsuit. They printed it. They published it. Thomas Markle provided it to them. So in that sense "released" is correct.

I think the larger point is that it is for the court to determine whether the actions of the named news outlets rise to the level of anything illegal, or if there was any kind of concerted effort to damage the Duchess. Until there is actually any movement on the court case, the rest is opinion, speculation and allegations.

Some of the stories, no-they were typical of other written about other members of the BRF at times.

However, there were some stories that were pretty dreadful.

Yes, there is no monolithic "they" for reporters, photographers, bloggers, other social media, etc. I think it's important to define exactly who is being referenced in these discussions. It's easy to paint with a broad brush, but not very useful if the objective is to encourage accurate discussion.

I agree but in this case the name of this thread should be changed. Harry and Meghan are suing a specific newspaper the Mail on Sunday. If we go down the line of yours and Muriel's argument, there should be no ill effect from other newspapers of the Sussex crusade against the mail on sunday...

I mean if the newspapers are competitors, they should be thrilled that one of them is getting sued as it means one of them is maybe going to get a big fined, will maybe loose some money over it.

After all, what does the Independent, itv news etc... care about a lawsuit about one of its competitors. Especially if it concerns illegal practices that they would never do such as publishing someone's letters without their consent. Maybe there are quite happy to see the mail on sunday and daily mail getting sued for something that other papers don't do and that brings tons of money to these two tabloids.

Why is it wrong for the Sussexes to take legal action when both Charles and William have done so as well? Why is it the Sussexes that are poisoning the well? It is my contention that that particular well has been well and truly poisoned for decades.

The media broke the law as regards Harry's phone messages and Meghan's letter. Saying her father is at fault for giving them said letter is splitting hairs. IMHO they paid for it and paid well. If he didn't sell the whole letter or if he did and they cherry-picked what to publish is irrelevant and that's on them.

Well if we being technical her father didn't even release it to the public. He handed it to the newspaper who in turn did. Hence the lawsuit. They printed it. They published it. Thomas Markle provided it to them. So in that sense "released" is correct.

And I think in copyright cases, the big factor is if the copyrighted material was used for profit. It was reported, that Mr Markle didn't get paid for giving the letter to Mail on Sunday, whereas MOS definitely made profit publishing it.

I didn't say the media were a joined-up group that co-operated closely which each other (although the royal reporters do spend time on twitter hyping up each others stories). I said they (the media that we are discussing in the lawsuit) did everything they could to harm Meghan's reputation with the public. I don't know if it was done individually or jointly and frankly I don't care, it doesn't change the fact that they made up stories, blatantly lied and did other unethical and sometimes illegal things to harm Meghan (and Harry if you look at the bigger picture).

As for the letter....Meghan's father gave the letter to the DM that isn't illegal (that just makes him a horrible father). What is illegal is for the DM to publish the letter without Meghan's consent and that is being addressed in the lawsuit.

I am not sure how much you know about the British media but this, to a large extent, is how certain factions operate. The phone hacking is in the past and a number of years ago there was a huge review of despicable practices and a few papers folded and heads rolled. Among those named as victims of hacking were William, Harry and in particular Kate Middleton. This has been legally dealt with and I see no reason for Harry to raise it again. Are the gutter press nice to Meghan. No. Are they nice to anyone. No. Have Meghan and Harry dealt with them particularly well. Again no they haven't and they have inflamed them. Racism is everywhere. It just is. Tragically. But in large part the ism being used against Meghan Markle is cultural. Her central trouble is that she does not understand the British press or people. Perfectly sensible people I know watched their documentary and said what are they doing? Are they having a breakdown? And to intents in the British media Harry, before the sabbatical, looked like he was having one. This six week break was I warrant for some serious breathing space. ...But he was born to this. He should be a support for Meghan in navigating it but he is crumbling. You live with the media gremlins. You manage them, you dance with them, you understand the sympathico. They will be nice to you. They will eat you...and tomorrow no one will remember. I mean the things they have done. They are practically castrated now. Who will remember what they said about you but people will remember what you said yourself and that you released a tirade against them, not that any of it was untrue, and you went on national television looking more than a little fragile... I mean everyone remembers Diana and Panorama. No one remembers what the papers said about her over the years...and they were less then kind.

In large part the letter debacle was brought on by Meghan because her friends, with her consent no doubt, mentioned it in an American article in support of her. The media then duly went sniffing. I mean that is their job and her father obliged. I mean he was talking to the media anyway. Why did she write the letter? She doesn't know what she is dealing with. I mean has Kate ever sanctioned the media to interview her friends? This is two people floundering and I for one am not laughing at them but concerned for them. To survive Meghan needs to become like them. She cannot change anything but unfortunately for her that may be a bit like dying inside. So I have concerns for them both...

And I think in copyright cases, the big factor is if the copyrighted material was used for profit. It was reported, that Mr Markle didn't get paid for giving the letter to Mail on Sunday, whereas MOS definitely made profit publishing it.

Copyright is tricky. You would need an expert and given it is British law. Case law. Most particularly the last few. How much was published? With whose consent? I actually don't think they will win this. Given her side mentioed the letter first. Where royals are on sure fire privacy cases is pictures taken on private property where the majority if not all their cases are taken.

Copyright is tricky. You would need an expert and given it is British law. Case law. Most particularly the last few. How much was published? With whose consent? I actually don't think they will win this. Given her side mentioed the letter first. Where royals are on sure fire privacy cases is pictures taken on private property where the majority if not all their cases are taken.

Meghan is allowed to mention the letter. Her friends can mention the letter. Her father could've mentioned the letter. Dailymail could've mentioned the letter. None of this would've broken the copyright. Mail on Sunday published the letter for profit, and that's when the copyright was broken.

Meghan is allowed to mention the letter. Her friends can mention the letter. Her father could've mentioned the letter. Dailymail could've mentioned the letter. None of this would've broken the copyright. Mail on Sunday published the letter for profit, and that's when the copyright was broken.

They can but I don't know. I just do not see this going their way. Given the mauling and overhaul of legal practices with the gutter press, I don't see them printing this without legal advice. They may have been just within the law. But the law is a complicated beast. I mean broadsheets would not publish anything without being watertight but we all know other members of the press are more suspect.

I am not sure how much you know about the British media but this, to a large extent, is how certain factions operate. The phone hacking is in the past and a number of years ago there was a huge review of despicable practices and a few papers folded and heads rolled. Among those named as victims of hacking were William, Harry and in particular Kate Middleton. This has been legally dealt with and I see no reason for Harry to raise it again. Are the gutter press nice to Meghan. No. Are they nice to anyone. No. Have Meghan and Harry dealt with them particularly well. Again no they haven't and they have inflamed them. Racism is everywhere. It just is. Tragically. But in large part the ism being used against Meghan Markle is cultural. Her central trouble is that she does not understand the British press or people. Perfectly sensible people I know watched their documentary and said what are they doing? Are they having a breakdown? And to intents in the British media Harry, before the sabbatical, looked like he was having one. This six week break was I warrant for some serious breathing space. ...But he was born to this. He should be a support for Meghan in navigating it but he is crumbling. You live with the media gremlins. You manage them, you dance with them, you understand the sympathico. They will be nice to you. They will eat you...and tomorrow no one will remember. I mean the things they have done. They are practically castrated now. Who will remember what they said about you but people will remember what you said yourself and that you released a tirade against them, not that any of it was untrue, and you went on national television looking more than a little fragile... I mean everyone remembers Diana and Panorama. No one remembers what the papers said about her over the years...and they were less then kind.

In large part the letter debacle was brought on by Meghan because her friends, with her consent no doubt, mentioned it in an American article in support of her. The media then duly went sniffing. I mean that is their job and her father obliged. I mean he was talking to the media anyway. Why did she write the letter? She doesn't know what she is dealing with. I mean has Kate ever sanctioned the media to interview her friends? This is two people floundering and I for one am not laughing at them but concerned for them. To survive Meghan needs to become like them. She cannot change anything but unfortunately for her that may be a bit like dying inside. So I have concerns for them both...

I think this is a very well written post, and I agree with a lot of issues raised.

I also think Meghan needs time to understand how life in Britain actually works, and the work that she will need to do if she is to succeed in her role as a supporting member of the BRF. I have often posted on how I think H&M have not approached their relationship with the media with a level of maturity that was needed, and that has led to the negative spiral one over the last 12 months or so. I hope they can address this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom