Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. That isn’t the way it works. Members of the Royal Family cannot just call the shots in how they want information shared with the public by blocking out the media. They are not private citizens. It seems to me they are being advised by a Hollywood PR firm rather than Royal PR firm, who would certainly have the experience and knowledge on how best to navigate these issues instead of this debacle.

This is a thread about the legal battles for Meghan and Harry. Why is it okay for other royals (the Queen, Charles, William & Catherine) to sue the tabloids for various violations but it is bad for Meghan and Harry to do the same? The double standards are part of a larger issue. They are suing for very specific things copyright infringement and phone hacking (which is part of a larger lawsuit).

This is a thread about the legal battles for Meghan and Harry. Why is it okay for other royals (the Queen, Charles, William & Catherine) to sue the tabloids for various violations but it is bad for Meghan and Harry to do the same? The double standards are part of a larger issue. They are suing for very specific things copyright infringement and phone hacking (which is part of a larger lawsuit).

My apology for getting off topic. I really don’t have an issue with the lawsuits themselves, but rather the hostility and other verbiage included in the announcement as well as other subsequent events since which I won’t elaborate on here.

Kate and Camila have been the most successful in dealing with all this and I think it’s because they’ve never tried to explain how hard it’s been for them. They know that anything they say, and any action they take, will just give the press more of what it wants. Statements and lawsuits are what the press wants, and the more dramatic the better. With rare exceptions the only way to win is to refuse to play the game at all.

I would advise them to keep their heads down, take some deep breaths and remember that 99 percent their words and actions should be focused on the good work they are privileged to do on behalf of the Queen and their country. The press will continue with its drama but Meghan and Harry can make their lives a whole lot easier by deciding not to participate in it.

Excellent points. Hopefully this seemingly never ending drama will fade away. This couple have so much potential, it would be sad if all turned irredeemably sour.

My apology for getting off topic. I really don’t have an issue with the lawsuits themselves, but rather the hostility and other verbiage included in the announcement as well as other subsequent events since which I won’t elaborate on here.

I think this is the crux of the matter for most people, myself included. The lawsuits themselves certainly have some merit and certainly should be addressed. I think members of the BRF have to carefully pick and choose which issues to file suit about and which to turn the other cheek to but in this particular case I think most people agree that these issues needed to be dealt with. However, most people's objections, and certainly mine, stem from all of the drama surrounding the suits. A simple statement that a suit had been filed followed by a statement at the end of the process would have sufficed. The constant drama that's accompanying these suits is unnecessary and at odds with the claims they've made in the suits about their need for, expectation of, and right to privacy.

I saw a clip of the documentary yesterday where Meghan was saying something like she knew there would be criticism in her new role but she expected that the criticism would be fair. I found that statement shocking. Presuming she actually meant what she said, it shows an unbelievable level of naivety from someone who was marrying into the British Royal Family. Meghan should have done her homework, especially since she apparently had British friends telling her how bad things would be, but I think the ultimate responsibility for how apparently miserable things have been for her lies with Harry. He knew Meghan had very little exposure to the UK, let alone to its media as it relates to his family. And he also knew, or should have known, that what may be a good media and publicity strategy for a minor American celebrity is likely going to be a disaster for a British Royal couple in their dealings with the British press.

I’ll be blunt and say that Harry strikes me as well meaning but immature, and as someone who was a little too attached to the “Prince of Hearts” persona he cultivated and the media encouraged. A mature man would have insisted his fiancée spend a significant amount of time in the UK before they got engaged. I would say a year living and working in London would have given Meghan a good amount of exposure to the media and how relentless and sometimes unfair it would be. And it would have given her and Harry a chance to see how well they dealt with the stress of it all as a couple. Then they could have moved forward with the engagement, or not.

Because the thing is, all the negative press may be intolerable for Harry and Meghan but it’s not unusual. Kate and her family were crucified in the press on a regular basis before she married William. Camilla was savaged for years. The coverage of Diana and Sarah Ferguson was never ending and was often vulgar to the point of being disgusting. And, with the exception of Kate, this was all before the internet. Of the above I would say Kate and Camila have been the most successful in dealing with all this and I think it’s because they’ve never tried to explain how hard it’s been for them. They know that anything they say, and any action they take, will just give the press more of what it wants. Statements and lawsuits are what the press wants, and the more dramatic the better. With rare exceptions the only way to win is to refuse to play the game at all.

I would advise them to keep their heads down, take some deep breaths and remember that 99 percent their words and actions should be focused on the good work they are privileged to do on behalf of the Queen and their country. The press will continue with its drama but Meghan and Harry can make their lives a whole lot easier by deciding not to participate in it.

This is a good post and exactly my feelings too. We’ve probably all had this discussion in a hypothetical way with friends and decided despite the fabulous wealth and opportunities that the grief is probably not worth it! Even if they are successful in this lawsuit, its just another thing for the press to make snide remarks about. I can’t imagine the frustration that the couple must feel when everything they do, the press find an angle to have a go(though sometimes they dont help matters)

So suck it up and take abuse? Okay. I rather see the Sussexes show they are human than internalizing it and take more drastic steps to cope.

I have no issue with the Sussexes' two lawsuits. Both phone hacking and publishing private correspondence by the tabloids is indefensible.

The statement and documentary created drama that takes the focus from the reason for the lawsuits--the illegal and immoral acts of the tabloids in question.

So suck it up and take abuse? Okay. I rather see the Sussexes show they are human than internalizing it and take more drastic steps to cope.

Yes that's exactly what all of us are saying....fantastic understanding of what is being said.

I have no issue with the Sussexes' two lawsuits. Both phone hacking and publishing private correspondence by the tabloids is indefensible.

The statement and documentary created drama that takes the focus from the reason for the lawsuits--the illegal and immoral acts of the tabloids in question.

This right here. I'll use Kate as an example again, when those pictures of her in France came out I don't believe she (or William) released a statemt or video crying about how unfair it was to her and how violated she was! They took legal action, I believe there was perhaps one statement (I don't remember) then they moved on.
This whole thing with Meghan and Harry could have been avoided if they had just filed the lawsuits released a simple statement about the violation of the law and not put their hurt feelings into the ring.

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly what all of us are saying....fantastic understanding of what is being said.

This right here. I'll use Kate as an example again, when those pictures of her in France came out I don't believe she (or William) released a statemt or video crying about how unfair it was to her and how violated she was! They took legal action, I believe there was perhaps one statement (I don't remember) then they moved on.
This whole thing with Meghan and Harry could have been avoided if they had just filed the lawsuits released a simple statement about the violation of the law and not put their hurt feelings into the ring.

The statement that Harry issued had no lies. Meghan worked hard from moment her pregnancy was announced and from that moment on the British media had it out for her with negative (and often untrue) article after article. Meghan was on maternity leave all of April and May wasn't doing any royal duties....laying low like many are suggesting and there were still 400+ articles about her in the month of May (mostly negative).

It was easy for Catherine to just sit back and not release a statement about things. She was never dealt that level of bullying and dehumanization. She was able to enjoy her pregnancies take time off both before and after without harassment.

There is no reason for the British media to constantly lie about Meghan and at some point enough is enough and Harry has made it very clear that he isn't going to sit idly by and watch his wife get trampled by the media...he is NOT playing that game. So they are taking legal action.

Those that say it isn't the right time...the right time is when the victim (and laws) say it is. Saying she should just be quiet and accept the abuse is saying it is okay for people to bully others and that the victim shouldn't protect themselves.

Last edited:
I saw a clip of the documentary yesterday where Meghan was saying something like she knew there would be criticism in her new role but she expected that the criticism would be fair. I found that statement shocking. Presuming she actually meant what she said, it shows an unbelievable level of naivety from someone who was marrying into the British Royal Family. Meghan should have done her homework, especially since she apparently had British friends telling her how bad things would be, but I think the ultimate responsibility for how apparently miserable things have been for her lies with Harry. He knew Meghan had very little exposure to the UK, let alone to its media as it relates to his family. And he also knew, or should have known, that what may be a good media and publicity strategy for a minor American celebrity is likely going to be a disaster for a British Royal couple in their dealings with the British press.

I’ll be blunt and say that Harry strikes me as well meaning but immature, and as someone who was a little too attached to the “Prince of Hearts” persona he cultivated and the media encouraged. A mature man would have insisted his fiancée spend a significant amount of time in the UK before they got engaged. I would say a year living and working in London would have given Meghan a good amount of exposure to the media and how relentless and sometimes unfair it would be. And it would have given her and Harry a chance to see how well they dealt with the stress of it all as a couple. Then they could have moved forward with the engagement, or not.

Because the thing is, all the negative press may be intolerable for Harry and Meghan but it’s not unusual. Kate and her family were crucified in the press on a regular basis before she married William. Camilla was savaged for years. The coverage of Diana and Sarah Ferguson was never ending and was often vulgar to the point of being disgusting. And, with the exception of Kate, this was all before the internet. Of the above I would say Kate and Camila have been the most successful in dealing with all this and I think it’s because they’ve never tried to explain how hard it’s been for them. They know that anything they say, and any action they take, will just give the press more of what it wants. Statements and lawsuits are what the press wants, and the more dramatic the better. With rare exceptions the only way to win is to refuse to play the game at all.

Coming back just to comment on this, (I stopped coming to the forums for many reasons)
But a friend from the forum told me about your comment and said I should come and read it:
i’d Like to remind many that two years when I first joined I commented that given the nature of long distance relationships, the family she would marry into and the very public role she would take after marriage, and the media and all of it, that It would be more wise and logical decision for them in the long term if Megan were to first relocate to the U.K. on say an artist visa, which would allow them to do all of the bolded and more.
But I was told it was a silly idea, and if they wanted kids and Yada.. yada, yada.

Given Meghan(and Harry) comment at the interview, about being warned and told to wait, I am now more than amazed on why she herself- given that she said about 6 mon in she knew this was it that- A: didn’t do any research on what her role would entail - such as go and speak with Sophie!, and B: didn’t think it would be wise to tell harry: yes i’ll marry you, but first before we do let me move to the U.K. and let’s see how well we do living together and dealing with everything, let your family to properly get to know me.
They both rushed into something neither were ready (and imo suited for each other)

It’s a shame they didn’t listened and waited and now there is a child involved and Harry ... seems to have completely pushed and alienated his entire family... except Meghan that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement that Harry issued had no lies. Meghan worked hard from moment her pregnancy was announced and from that moment on the British media had it out for her with negative (and often untrue) article after article. Meghan was on maternity leave all of April and May wasn't doing any royal duties....laying low like many are suggesting and there were still 400+ articles about her in the month of May (mostly negative).

It was easy for Catherine to just sit back and not release a statement about things. She was never dealt that level of bullying and dehumanization. She was able to enjoy her pregnancies take time off both before and after without harassment.

There is no reason for the British media to constantly lie about Meghan and at some point enough is enough and Harry has made it very clear that he isn't going to sit idly by and watch his wife get trampled by the media...he is NOT playing that game. So they are taking legal action.

Those that say it isn't the right time...the right time is when the victim (and laws) say it is. Saying she should just be quiet and accept the abuse is saying it is okay for people to bully others and that the victim shouldn't protect themselves.

Well, actually......Kate wasn’t sitting back enjoying her pregnancies since she spent a good chunk of each pregnancy suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum. She was hospitalized her first pregnancy which is how the world found out she was pregnant. Since she was always being portrayed in the media as a lazy social climber, some media was speculating as the illness continued that this was all a ruse to keep from working, blah, blah, blah. Before that, she had tremendous pressure to produce an heir since clearly, she wasn’t interested in working. Kate had constant scrutiny and harassment for years before she married William and for years after. You don’t think she had numerous days that she was overwhelmed behind closed doors?

Before the question is asked what what any of this have to do with the lawsuit...I will add that the only time a lawsuit was filed by the Cambridge’s was when the topless photos were published which was a clear invasion of privacy, and that wasn’t for the British media. However, that did not prevent criticism that As a future Queen she should know better than to step outdoors without a top on even if it was a private home.

The point is all Royal Brides take their turn and each one moved on to find their footing...well, the Duchess of York found her foot in someone’s mouth, but that is another story. :lol:

Last edited:
Their lawsuits are not frivolous or without merit. I applaud them taking action. The old saying stand for something, fall for anything seems apt to apply here. The Sussexes are we’ll within their rights to demand truthful coverage of them. Not lies and fabrications that inflame tensions and put her mental and physical safety at risk.

Exactly. That isn’t the way it works. Members of the Royal Family cannot just call the shots in how they want information shared with the public by blocking out the media. They are not private citizens. It seems to me they are being advised by a Hollywood PR firm rather than Royal PR firm, who would certainly have the experience and knowledge on how best to navigate these issues instead of this debacle.

Was it not reported a couple of months ago that H and M have indeed recruited a Hollywood PR firm to advise them over Palace courtiers? I remember even reading the name of the firm but I can't recall it now.

Was it not reported a couple of months ago that H and M have indeed recruited a Hollywood PR firm to advise them over Palace courtiers? I remember even reading the name of the firm but I can't recall it now.

I didn’t see that, but it does a explain a lot. Really bad move if that is the case.

Given Meghan(and Harry) comment at the interview, about being warned and told to wait, I am now more than amazed on why she herself- given that she said about 6 mon in she knew this was it that- A: didn’t do any research on what her role would entail - such as go and speak with Sophie!, and B: didn’t think it would be wise to tell harry: yes i’ll marry you, but first before we do let me move to the U.K. and let’s see how well we do living together and dealing with everything, let your family to properly get to know me.
They both rushed into something neither were ready (and imo suited for each other)

This is a classic case of victim-blaming and glossing over the perpetrator's inappropriate and in this case illegal behavior.

Perhaps they didn't wait long because they were in love and wanted to be married and to be a family. Why shouldn't they have that opportunity?

Neither Harry nor Meghan are struggling with the royal roles or their relationship with each other- those are the parts where they are thriving. Look at the interactions with the charities they work with, look at their ability to get projects done. That is their strength.

The struggle comes in with the British media not having any accountability for their actions. People are even blaming Harry & Meghan for the actions of the press when they have done nothing wrong.

I really hope that Meghan and Harry win their cases and there is a true look at the way the British media operates. I'm all for 'free press' but it needs to come along with some integrity.

The story behind The Sun’s falsehood story on Meghan and the car park-
https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/2513

The damage from straight up lies from The Sun and other tabloids and other papers has been underestimated, IMO.

Last edited:
This is a classic case of victim-blaming and glossing over the perpetrator's inappropriate and in this case illegal behavior.

Perhaps they didn't wait long because they were in love and wanted to be married and to be a family. Why shouldn't they have that opportunity?

Neither Harry nor Meghan are struggling with the royal roles or their relationship with each other- those are the parts where they are thriving. Look at the interactions with the charities they work with, look at their ability to get projects done. That is their strength.

The struggle comes in with the British media not having any accountability for their actions. People are even blaming Harry & Meghan for the actions of the press when they have done nothing wrong.

I really hope that Meghan and Harry win their cases and there is a true look at the way the British media operates. I'm all for 'free press' but it needs to come along with some integrity.

It’s unfortunate when other view points are called out as victim blaming. It’s not unreasonable considering the position she was taking on with the incredible attention and scrutiny that more time to prepare would have been wiser for the both of them.

I hope Harry and Meghan win their case too. It won’t change a thing, but it will help a charity or two.

It’s unfortunate when other view points are called out as victim blaming. It’s not unreasonable considering the position she was taking on with the incredible attention and scrutiny that more time to prepare would have been wiser for the both of them.

I hope Harry and Meghan win their case too. It won’t change a thing, but it will help a charity or two.

You just said that nothing is going to change even if they win the suit so what would waiting 6 months have done? They would still be in love and still deserve to be together as a married couple and have a family. Their relationship isn't the problem.

The problem is the British media and the fact that there is no accountability. And when a couple finally does try to hold them accountable for their actions, it is the victims' relationship that comes under scrutiny instead of the illegal actions of the "journalists" (aka victim-blaming).

Last edited:
You just said that nothing is going to change even if they win the suit so what would waiting 6 months have done? They would still be in love and still deserve to be together as a married couple and have a family. Their relationship isn't the problem.

The problem is the British media and the fact that there is no accountability. And when a couple finally does try to hold them accountable for their actions, it is the victims' relationship that comes under scrutiny instead of the illegal actions of the "journalists" (aka victim-blaming).

There isn’t accountability in the US media either. This lawsuit won’t change a thing except help them feel better for taking action.

It is a fact that 'win or lose' this case will make not make one iota of difference to the way the Duke and Duchess are treated in the UK Press..
The endless Leveson Enquiry failed to make any real change, despite the millions spent and anguish dredged up by it..
NO journalist feels constrained by its findings, [that much is OBVIOUS] and no member of the Public sees any real difference in the tat purveyed by the Tabloid [and other] Press...
As noted above, no-one will benefit except Lawyers and [if the plaintiffs win], the charities to whom they award their winnings.

The problem is the British media and the fact that there is no accountability.

But who is the British media a problem for?

> The British public? They can decide with their £ if they consider the media a problem.

> The wider BRF: Not really. There is a working relationship between the two sides, and there is a fair amount of give and take.

> H&M: Probably, because

a) H&M burnt their bridges with the media when their was so much goodwill surrounding the couple at the time of their wedding, and further, there was so much goodwill Harry himself had built up over the years; and

b) Based on Meghan's comments on the Bradby interview, she clearly pays far too much attention to what the press has to say!

Clearly these are my opinions, and not everybody may agree with them, but they are set out as I see them.

The lawsuits have absolutely nothing to do with negative coverage in the press, and will have exactly zero effect on negative coverage in the press. They are worthwhile lawsuits, and it will be interesting to see whether or not the Sussexes prevail--I assume they have a very good chance of doing so, at least in Meghan's lawsuit for copyright infringement. I certainly hope so.

However, the fact that with all the irritation/anger/fury that Meghan and Harry may feel regarding the negative coverage in the press, that the only lawsuits that the Sussex lawyers were able to dig up were these two relatively narrowly targeted ones, one of which is in regard to events over a decade ago, is an implicit admission that there is nothing much that can be done about the day to day coverage in the media. So posters who are expecting either lawsuit to make any material difference in how the Sussexes are covered in UK media are not understanding how this all works.

There isn’t accountability in the US media either. This lawsuit won’t change a thing except help them feel better for taking action.

This has nothing to do with the US media (which has strengths and weaknesses)....the lawsuit has been brought against a British tabloid who violated copyright laws by publishing Meghan's letter. The other one is about a British tabloid that hacked Harry's and many other phones.

> The British public? They can decide with their £ if they consider the media a problem.

> The wider BRF: Not really. There is a working relationship between the two sides, and there is a fair amount of give and take.

a) H&M burnt their bridges with the media when their was so much goodwill surrounding the couple at the time of their wedding, and further, there was so much goodwill Harry himself had built up over the years; and

b) Based on Meghan's comments on the Bradby interview, she clearly pays far too much attention to what the press has to say!

Clearly these are my opinions, and not everybody may agree with them, but they are set out as I see them.

It's a problem for a lot of people...that's why the phone-hacking lawsuit includes several people. It is a problem for people who are forced to disclose their medical information under blackmail circumstances.

For Meghan and Harry.... it is a problem when the tabloids write false stories that lead gullible people to believe them and then reaction in over the top ways such as death threats.

Just because the fans or the general public don't see it all doesn't mean the actions of the British media/tabloids don't have negative impacts on people's lives and that behavior shouldn't be tolerated. Like Harry said....if you knew all that he knows you would probably act in a similar manner if it was your family.

I saw the Africa documentary and both Harry and Meghan specifically stated that the media were publishing stories that were not true. So they don’t seem to object to the attention, they object to lies being published about them.

The lawsuits have absolutely nothing to do with negative coverage in the press, and will have exactly zero effect on negative coverage in the press. They are worthwhile lawsuits, and it will be interesting to see whether or not the Sussexes prevail--I assume they have a very good chance of doing so, at least in Meghan's lawsuit for copyright infringement. I certainly hope so.

However, the fact that with all the irritation/anger/fury that Meghan and Harry may feel regarding the negative coverage in the press, that the only lawsuits that the Sussex lawyers were able to dig up were these two relatively narrowly targeted ones, one of which is in regard to events over a decade ago, is an implicit admission that there is nothing much that can be done about the day to day coverage in the media. So posters who are expecting either lawsuit to make any material difference in how the Sussexes are covered in UK media are not understanding how this all works.

100% agreed. Both lawsuits have merit and both are certainly win-able with some very worthwhile charities in line to benefit substantially. However, the only real impact this will have is that coverage of the Sussexes will be more relentless, more brutal, more unforgiving, and more negative than before. There's a very, very fine line to walk between accepting that as a public figure there will be things written about you that you don't like and deciding when something is serious enough and underhanded enough to warrant the scrutiny that litigation brings and I don't really believe that the Sussexes have found that balance yet. I think they're irritated, frustrated, hurt, and angered and are striking out because they can rather than because they've found that balance.

This has nothing to do with the US media (which has strengths and weaknesses)....the lawsuit has been brought against a British tabloid who violated copyright laws by publishing Meghan's letter. The other one is about a British tabloid that hacked Harry's and many other phones.

Lest we forget.....The British media wouldn’t have the letter if Meghan’s father hadn’t sold....excuse me, graciously shared the letter with the media. I don’t see a lawsuit being discussed in that direction. It doesn’t excuse the media and it doesn’t mean they aren’t accountable for their actions, but let’s not pretend that her father’s actions didn’t contribute to this debacle. No one seems to be holding him accountable.

I saw the Africa documentary and both Harry and Meghan specifically stated that the media were publishing stories that were not true. So they don’t seem to object to the attention, they object to lies being published about them.

Imagine the media and tabloids publishing things that aren’t true! Like we don’t see that every day from the US to England and beyond? Every celebrity, politician, sports figure, Royal, etc.., has things said in media that aren’t true, or denies things that are true. Either way, it’s news for about day or two and then something else takes it’s place.

They certainly are within their rights to bring lawsuits, but it’s unrealistic to think this will change anything the media does. They will pay the penalty to the appropriate charity and make it all back with another sensational story. It’s a mere slap in the hand in the end.

Whole heartedly agree with all the above. Placing focus on family and work instead of obsessing over negative press would be a better use of their energy and time. You can’t control what others think or say, only your reaction to it. Harry certainly knows better, but I think seeing his wife so upset is what is fueling this intense reaction and getting the better of his emotions when cooler head would serve him better.

At the end of the day, the Duke and Duchess are standing up for their rights, justice and their values. That’s all they can do. That’s enough. They’re not trying to control the media. They’re holding them accountable. Their aren’t the first of the family to do this and they won’t be the last.

Their lawyers and other legal teams are doing to work. In the meantime, the couple are fully focused on their duties and roles and work ahead.

Last edited:
According to most sources the Royal family is in general left alone by the media when out in private these days. The only ones who comes close to the paparazzi craziness of the 90s was Kate before the engagement and sometimes Beatrice during the worst days of the "holiday outrage". The last time I remember seeing pap pics of a royal was when Meghan and Harry was at that new age place in Windsor (?) earlier this year. There have been stories about photographers going after the Cambridge kids but the pictures we see published is most often those taken by private citizens and not by professionals.
As it stands now the big problem isn't pics being published but what's written. My view on this is to simply just not read it. Unfortunately Meghan and Harry have read it and are quite naturally very upset by what they see written about them.

It is true they have read it, so then why do they say they don't read the press, like they did in their engagement interview?

I have thought about the lawsuit by Meghan over the letter that was released. Since she sent it to her father, isn't it technically his? Therefore, he can release it. I don't agree with him releasing it, so please don't read that into what I am asking. I am legitimately trying to understand how the law would work in this case.

I have thought about the lawsuit by Meghan over the letter that was released. Since she sent it to her father, isn't it technically his? Therefore, he can release it. I don't agree with him releasing it, so please don't read that into what I am asking. I am legitimately trying to understand how the law would work in this case.

I've wondered this myself. Technically it belongs to him so it's his to give/sell/etc. However, she wrote it so the copywrite or implied copywrite would belong to her and if it was, in fact, altered so her words were not correctly put out there then it would infringe on her copywrite. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that this is the crux of that lawsuit. However, I'm no lawyer so I could be very, very much mistaken here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom