Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With everything else going on this fall season in the UK, it seems extraordinarily self-centered for wealthy Meghan and Harry to be bleating about photographers and gossip columnists.

Time was, when there were big government decisions afoot, HM was able to tamp down family announcements and news in order to not to interfere with her government's pressing business.

With everything else going on this fall season in the UK, it seems extraordinarily self-centered for wealthy Meghan and Harry to be bleating about photographers and gossip columnists.

Time was, when there were big government decisions afoot, HM was able to tamp down family announcements and news in order to not to interfere with her government's pressing business.

Yeah how self centered for people to worry about people breaking multiple laws in order to make money off them .

And as has been repeatedly stated the laws protect every European citizen no matter how wealthy they are .The couple tried negotiating with the MOS over what they did and Harry is part of a class action that concerns thousands of people a good number just ordinary people

I mean the papers could maybe try not to hack phones ,use stolen medical data or breach copyright just to make a few more quid for their billionaire owners .

:previous: Are we, then, actually surprised that all the MoS could come up with is "No Comment"? ?

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the MoS offers a last minute settlement out of court or two and they are rejected by Meghan's lawyers who seem to know what they're doing and want to be in front of a judge. :D

MoS were malicious & I hope they pay enormously for unethical standards. There were plenty of events to cover yet they chose to bully a pregnant woman. They initially embargoed the article to prevent info being published in time for a retraction. It’s disgusting that some people think economic status determines whether bullying will impact one’s mental health or the health of a pregnancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

The way I see it, Harry and Meghan aren't "bleating" empty noises about something that, because they're wealthy, they should just push it under the carpet and give an exasperated sigh of "oh well.... ".

They're taking legal action to a court of law in the UK as would most Britons in the same situation (in fact, there's a group of Britons suing in the hacking case) regardless of their income. *This* is actually the UK government at work for the people. The government (Parliament) makes the laws. The courts enforce those laws. ;)

MoS were malicious & I hope they pay enormously for unethical standards. There were plenty of events to cover yet they chose to bully a pregnant woman. They initially embargoed the article to prevent info being published in time for a retraction. It’s disgusting that some people think economic status determines whether bullying will impact one’s mental health or the health of a pregnancy.

Actually, the case isn't about bullying at all although if the case is won, the monies will donated to an anti-bullying campaign. Its about an unlawful use of intellectual property that belongs to Meghan (her private letter) which was obtained by the MoS and abridged to suit their own needs and agendas. That is infringement of copyright. The MoS's needs and agendas don't figure in to any judgement that will be handed down in court as the focus is on copyright infringement solely.

Actually, the case isn't about bullying at all although if the case is won, the monies will donated to an anti-bullying campaign. Its about an unlawful use of intellectual property that belongs to Meghan (her private letter) which was obtained by the MoS and abridged to suit their own needs and agendas. That is infringement of copyright. The MoS's needs and agendas don't figure in to any judgement that will be handed down in court as the focus is on copyright infringement solely.

I beg to differ on this point, according to what a legal spokesperson for
Schillings said when the lawsuit was filed

"We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband."

“Given the refusal of Associated Newspapers to resolve this issue satisfactorily, we have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda.

He clearly states that it is part of campaign by this media group, and the issued proceedings are to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda

Yeah, right, because holding the tabloid media accountable for violating copyright law and hacking cellphones isn't "pressing business." :eek:

Lawsuits hardly qualify as "family announcements and news."

As Steve Coogan (himself a tabloid target) has correctly pointed out, some tabloid victims "have no money" and "don't have the means to take legal action."

https://news.sky.com/story/steve-co...e-tabloids-over-phone-hacking-claims-11831731

The Sussexes aren't the only victims of the tabloid media's illegal and unethical behavior. If victims without financial resources don't sue the tabloids because they can't, and the wealthy don't because it's self-centered, who will?

Last edited:
I beg to differ on this point, according to what a legal spokesperson for
Schillings said when the lawsuit was filed

"We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband."

“Given the refusal of Associated Newspapers to resolve this issue satisfactorily, we have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda.

He clearly states that it is part of campaign by this media group, and the issued proceedings are to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda

Exactly. The case is being brought in a court of law based on breaches against intellectual property (copyright infringement). But morally and ethically, it's also about relentless bullying and media exploitation, which has in turn provided fuel & encouragement to vile online trolls. The MoS and some of their supporters want to focus the blame on the online trolls and on the provider of the letter, rather than owning up to their own reprehensible motivations and culpability.

Perhaps I stated it wrong in my previous post about the copyright infringement being the sole focus of the court proceedings. I meant to express that the needs and agendas of the MoS against Meghan and even Harry *as a whole* won't be addressed but certainly, how those needs and agendas figured into the editing and publishing of Meghan's intellectual property, in this specific case, most certainly figure in.

We've known since the lawsuit was announced that any settlement won in the court case will be donated to an anti-bullying campaign. This, in and of itself, tells us just how Harry and Meghan have connected the dots with this case to the underlying cause of the lawsuit to begin with.

Thanks for the heads up. ?

Yeah, right, because holding the tabloid media accountable for violating copyright law and hacking cellphones isn't "pressing business." :eek:

Lawsuits hardly qualify as "family announcements and news."

As Steve Coogan (himself a tabloid target) has correctly pointed out, some tabloid victims "have no money" and "don't have the means to take legal action."

https://news.sky.com/story/steve-co...e-tabloids-over-phone-hacking-claims-11831731

The Sussexes aren't the only victims of the tabloid media's illegal and unethical behavior. If victims without financial resources don't sue the tabloids because they can't, and the wealthy don't because it's self-centered, who will?

Agreed it amazes me how so many justify the media violating the law by blaming the victims of said actions. The laws are there to protect ALL and hold people accountable. Like you said some can't afford to take actions, and those who can are expected to just let it go because they have the financial resources.

The press has written character assassinating and untrue articles about Harry and Meghan. The photographers flew drones around their home taking pictures from inside their home too. MOS published a private letter of Meghan's, tampering and editing it, which they had no right to do. Meghan and Harry don't just have to put up with it, they have every right to fight back.

Meghan and Harry fighting back will help others, who don't have the money and resources to fight back themselves.

Good point. Timing can be everything. However, with H&M, it appears that some of their actions just are not in sync with "The Firm", and it might be argued, perhaps not demonstrating the judgement that might be expected. For example:

> the timing of the litigation and the "war on the Press" completely overshadowed a lot of the good work carried out when on an official visit to southern Africa

I personally don't see what one thing has to do with the other. In fact, I do hope that M&H win their battles in court and that the tabloids are slapped on their greedy hands right in front of all. The Sussexes have shown that they are willing to give the public what they want: pics of them with their son, news about their engagements, some pics at private moments in a public site. But at their own time and in their own way: follow them on IG and watch out for TV-shows created in a respectful atmosphere. But don't expert that they clean any dirty laundry in public or allow anyone to write about things like that.

They are not different from William & Kate and Charles & Camilla and they opposse the tabloids who want to make them out as difficult and high maintenance, only because Meghan is biracial and Harry married her.

So good luck and all the success for them! IMHO, of course.

I think the point is being missed. One, the Sussexes face a deadline to file the suit to have it stay in a venue where the chances of victory in court would be good. Even if the announcement wasn't made, what would have prevented the press to report it during the tour once it got wind of it? Given the press's past actions would it really sat on this after the tour's end in the name of good relations? I also think the queen and Charles were made aware of the interviews ahead of time just like the lawsuits.

Good point. Timing can be everything. However, with H&M, it appears that some of their actions just are not in sync with "The Firm", and it might be argued, perhaps not demonstrating the judgement that might be expected. For example:

> the timing of the litigation and the "war on the Press" completely overshadowed a lot of the good work carried out when on an official visit to southern Africa

Thank goodness there are true leaders like Harry & Meghan! It’s not easy, but they are bravely trying to do something that has the potential to benefit the general public. There are many people who can relate to being bullied & bullied by U.K. press. There are many who’ve filed complaints with IPSO only to have valid cases thrown out by an ineffective regulatory body.

The majority of people who had their phones hacked by the tabloids were not rich or royalty. There’s no time, like the present time to say no to bullying! Others, royalty included, should also have the moral compass to take a stand against corrupt, unethical behaviour; press freedom, doesn’t mean the freedom to blatantly lie & profit from it.

Let's be fair it is not just Meghan doing this it is Harry as well. They both seem to be egging each other on and telling each other they are right in lashing out and responding to the negativity; it may win them points for a day but they will lose in the long run by doing things this way. I support them in their pursuit of legal action, but this onslaught of releasing statements, crying in public, complaining in public is a bit much.

Let's be fair it is not just Meghan doing this it is Harry as well. They both seem to be egging each other on and telling each other they are right in lashing out and responding to the negativity; it may win them points for a day but they will lose in the long run by doing things this way. I support them in their pursuit of legal action, but this onslaught of releasing statements, crying in public, complaining in public is a bit much.

I’m sure there will be some people that agree with you. However, the Royal family support many mental health charities and this month, we just recognized an international day, “World Mental Health Day” for global mental health education, awareness and advocacy against social stigma. There will be others from all different backgrounds that will relate in some way to Harry & Meghan, and see the importance of speaking out. Any action to raise awareness & hopefully prevent suicide is much needed.

Please note that several posts discussing the content of the recent documentary have been removed. This thread is solely about the on-going legal actions that Harry and Meghan are involved in so let's stay on topic.

I think the point is being missed. One, the Sussexes face a deadline to file the suit to have it stay in a venue where the chances of victory in court would be good. Even if the announcement wasn't made, what would have prevented the press to report it during the tour once it got wind of it? Given the press's past actions would it really sat on this after the tour's end in the name of good relations? I also think the queen and Charles were made aware of the interviews ahead of time just like the lawsuits.

That would be a reasonable explanation if they hadn’t also included grievances in the documentary. Once they did that, the argument that the timing simply had to do with the court deadline doesn’t quite add up. It seems entirely orchestrated to me.

That would be a reasonable explanation if they hadn’t also included grievances in the documentary. Once they did that, the argument that the timing simply had to do with the court deadline doesn’t quite add up. It seems entirely orchestrated to me.

I don't understand why the Sussexes should not air their grievances when there is a reason for them. Maybe the manage to convince at least one reader to stop reading the paper because they don't want to be part of that evil game.

I don't understand why the Sussexes should not air their grievances when there is a reason for them. Maybe the manage to convince at least one reader to stop reading the paper because they don't want to be part of that evil game.

Then that would prove that they are incredibly naive and out of touch with with reality, which may certainly be the case. They can sue every news organization they want and complain about how much they are being bullied and abused. In the end, it wont change a thing except damage their own image and embarrass the Monarchy. They can’t control the press or public perception. What they can control is their reactions and either find a way to rise above it and focus on their work like the rest of the Royal family or continue down this destructive path. Their choice.

Texankitcat - very wise words.
Imagine if every royal were to air every niggle!
They are the most useful to charity and causes if they keep their private lives as private as they can. And surely it would court incredible media attention to share too much - that would be tiring and dangerously 'Dianaesque' for them to have to manage.

They need to only bring legal action for the most serious of issues.
Phone tapping is serious.

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to do what one of the European Royal families do. Issue a set of guidelines which separate public royal life and the private lives of the family. I think it is the Dutch royal family. some of the guidelines read as taking photos of Royals on public occasions but DEFINITELY NOT OF THEIR PRIVATE LIVES. That is only one answer.

How do we know what pressures Harry and Megan are under. Married only 18 months, probably still adjusting to each other, a baby born less than a year after marriage, possible PND, a trip to SA which certainly would have reminded Harry of his mother. Grief can come back any time. Why don't people back off and leave then alone at least in their private lives. Stop criticising and give credit where credit is due.

Please edit if necessary.

Maybe it is time to do what one of the European Royal families do. Issue a set of guidelines which separate public royal life and the private lives of the family. I think it is the Dutch royal family. some of the guidelines read as taking photos of Royals on public occasions but DEFINITELY NOT OF THEIR PRIVATE LIVES. That is only one answer.

How do we know what pressures Harry and Megan are under. Married only 18 months, probably still adjusting to each other, a baby born less than a year after marriage, possible PND, a trip to SA which certainly would have reminded Harry of his mother. Grief can come back any time. Why don't people back off and leave then alone at least in their private lives. Stop criticising and give credit where credit is due.
According to most sources the Royal family is in general left alone by the media when out in private these days. The only ones who comes close to the paparazzi craziness of the 90s was Kate before the engagement and sometimes Beatrice during the worst days of the "holiday outrage". The last time I remember seeing pap pics of a royal was when Meghan and Harry was at that new age place in Windsor (?) earlier this year. There have been stories about photographers going after the Cambridge kids but the pictures we see published is most often those taken by private citizens and not by professionals.
As it stands now the big problem isn't pics being published but what's written. My view on this is to simply just not read it. Unfortunately Meghan and Harry have read it and are quite naturally very upset by what they see written about them.

Last edited:
Carin;2263509l said:

Please edit if necessary.

Carin: I appreciate your kind words and compassion. It wouldn’t harm anyone to show some tenderness and understanding for the Sussex family.

Then that would prove that they are incredibly naive and out of touch with with reality, which may certainly be the case. They can sue every news organization they want and complain about how much they are being bullied and abused. In the end, it wont change a thing except damage their own image and embarrass the Monarchy. They can’t control the press or public perception. What they can control is their reactions and either find a way to rise above it and focus on their work like the rest of the Royal family or continue down this destructive path. Their choice.

I saw a clip of the documentary yesterday where Meghan was saying something like she knew there would be criticism in her new role but she expected that the criticism would be fair. I found that statement shocking. Presuming she actually meant what she said, it shows an unbelievable level of naivety from someone who was marrying into the British Royal Family. Meghan should have done her homework, especially since she apparently had British friends telling her how bad things would be, but I think the ultimate responsibility for how apparently miserable things have been for her lies with Harry. He knew Meghan had very little exposure to the UK, let alone to its media as it relates to his family. And he also knew, or should have known, that what may be a good media and publicity strategy for a minor American celebrity is likely going to be a disaster for a British Royal couple in their dealings with the British press.

I’ll be blunt and say that Harry strikes me as well meaning but immature, and as someone who was a little too attached to the “Prince of Hearts” persona he cultivated and the media encouraged. A mature man would have insisted his fiancée spend a significant amount of time in the UK before they got engaged. I would say a year living and working in London would have given Meghan a good amount of exposure to the media and how relentless and sometimes unfair it would be. And it would have given her and Harry a chance to see how well they dealt with the stress of it all as a couple. Then they could have moved forward with the engagement, or not.

Because the thing is, all the negative press may be intolerable for Harry and Meghan but it’s not unusual. Kate and her family were crucified in the press on a regular basis before she married William. Camilla was savaged for years. The coverage of Diana and Sarah Ferguson was never ending and was often vulgar to the point of being disgusting. And, with the exception of Kate, this was all before the internet. Of the above I would say Kate and Camila have been the most successful in dealing with all this and I think it’s because they’ve never tried to explain how hard it’s been for them. They know that anything they say, and any action they take, will just give the press more of what it wants. Statements and lawsuits are what the press wants, and the more dramatic the better. With rare exceptions the only way to win is to refuse to play the game at all.

I would advise them to keep their heads down, take some deep breaths and remember that 99 percent their words and actions should be focused on the good work they are privileged to do on behalf of the Queen and their country. The press will continue with its drama but Meghan and Harry can make their lives a whole lot easier by deciding not to participate in it.

But at their own time and in their own way: follow them on IG and watch out for TV-shows created in a respectful atmosphere.

I understand the point you're trying to make here in that they should be allowed to do things however they want and if you want to know anything about them then you should find that information using the platforms they've allowed you. However, that whole idea, and perhaps it's just the way it was phrased, strikes me as incredibly self-centered, self-aggrandizing, and self-promoting. You have to look for self-promoting television programs in order to find out what the Sussexes are up to with public funds? No, thanks.

I saw a clip of the documentary yesterday where Meghan was saying something like she knew there would be criticism in her new role but she expected that the criticism would be fair. I found that statement shocking. Presuming she actually meant what she said, it shows an unbelievable level of naivety from someone who was marrying into the British Royal Family. Meghan should have done her homework, especially since she apparently had British friends telling her how bad things would be, but I think the ultimate responsibility for how apparently miserable things have been for her lies with Harry. He knew Meghan had very little exposure to the UK, let alone to its media as it relates to his family. And he also knew, or should have known, that what may be a good media and publicity strategy for a minor American celebrity is likely going to be a disaster for a British Royal couple in their dealings with the British press.

I’ll be blunt and say that Harry strikes me as well meaning but immature, and as someone who was a little too attached to the “Prince of Hearts” persona he cultivated and the media encouraged. A mature man would have insisted his fiancée spend a significant amount of time in the UK before they got engaged. I would say a year living and working in London would have given Meghan a good amount of exposure to the media and how relentless and sometimes unfair it would be. And it would have given her and Harry a chance to see how well they dealt with the stress of it all as a couple. Then they could have moved forward with the engagement, or not.

Because the thing is, all the negative press may be intolerable for Harry and Meghan but it’s not unusual. Kate and her family were crucified in the press on a regular basis before she married William. Camilla was savaged for years. The coverage of Diana and Sarah Ferguson was never ending and was often vulgar to the point of being disgusting. And, with the exception of Kate, this was all before the internet. Of the above I would say Kate and Camila have been the most successful in dealing with all this and I think it’s because they’ve never tried to explain how hard it’s been for them. They know that anything they say, and any action they take, will just give the press more of what it wants. Statements and lawsuits are what the press wants, and the more dramatic the better. With rare exceptions the only way to win is to refuse to play the game at all.

I would advise them to keep their heads down, take some deep breaths and remember that 99 percent their words and actions should be focused on the good work they are privileged to do on behalf of the Queen and their country. The press will continue with its drama but Meghan and Harry can make their lives a whole lot easier by deciding not to participate in it.

I think you make some very good points, and H&M would be very well advised to carefully consider what you have to say.

I understand the point you're trying to make here in that they should be allowed to do things however they want and if you want to know anything about them then you should find that information using the platforms they've allowed you. However, that whole idea, and perhaps it's just the way it was phrased, strikes me as incredibly self-centered, self-aggrandizing, and self-promoting. You have to look for self-promoting television programs in order to find out what the Sussexes are up to with public funds? No, thanks.

Exactly. That isn’t the way it works. Members of the Royal Family cannot just call the shots in how they want information shared with the public by blocking out the media. They are not private citizens. It seems to me they are being advised by a Hollywood PR firm rather than Royal PR firm, who would certainly have the experience and knowledge on how best to navigate these issues instead of this debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom