Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wish to discuss the relationship between Harry, Meghan and members of the BRF, please do so in the Relationship Between Members of the BRF thread. Articles about the media that aren’t directly related to the lawsuit, are off-topic and will be deleted. As are discussions about other royals.

You can take the discussion about Harry and Meghan’s future to the Future Duties and Roles thread.

And lastly, let’s keep politics out of the thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I forgot, what I wanted to say: If Harry wants to makes his monies IN the UK, he will have to find a good position towards the press, some kind of friendly agreement. Otherwise Archie and his possible offspring will be poor.

In the last generation Prince Andrew, who is comparable to Harry, including Helicopters and all, made some monies with kazakh oligarchs and so on - he was a trade representative....

And in the USA the press can be ugly too! Ask Mr. Trump...
the
Harry is too old, to revenge his mother or something.

The Duke is not revenging his mother. He is protecting his family. He does the same as Swedish, Dutch and Monegasque royals before him: asking Justice to enforce that the human right on a private- and family life, home and correspondence (Art 8 ECHR) also covers his family. The EU Courts already ruled that the "public interest" is not "the interest of the public". It means British Justice will have to give an opinion if publishing a private letter or private telephone conversations are justified with the appeal: "it interests our public".

Last edited:
The message I responded to was much bigger than Harry's private fight. If he intends to broaden his fight, that would be a bad thing. If he just thinks that by these lawsuits he is playing a small part in a bigger fight, that would make sense to me.

Glad I was able to clarify your misinterpretation.

Last edited:
Another Guardian article. I don't think it's been posted. Contains the interesting point of view of the editor of Majesty Magazine Ingrid Seward.

Whatever happens I hope it's all resolved either way as soon as possible. I don't know what the long term effects of all this will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/05/prince-harry-legal-action-alleged-phone-hacking

Notice the person that was quoted in that article showed how she could care less about why Harry had to make the statement about the unacceptable treatment his wife is receiving. She even went on to accuse Meghan of making Harry make the statement because she’s American and that’s how Americans are. Folks like her don’t care about the abuse Meghan is being hit with. That’s why Harry is so upset. Folks just don’t care. That’s a real problem.

Sorry, but I forgot, what I wanted to say: If Harry wants to makes his monies IN the UK, he will have to find a good position towards the press, some kind of friendly agreement. Otherwise Archie and his possible offspring will be poor.

In the last generation Prince Andrew, who is comparable to Harry, including Helicopters and all, made some monies with kazakh oligarchs and so on - he was a trade representative....

Thanks, I misread your original post.

Oh hell yeah Harry going personally after Piers Morgan. The Website/agency who broke the scoop about the 2 harry's lawsuits followed up with this about the complaints

https://www.bylineinvestigates.com/...red-up-illegality-like-organised-crime-groups

Since Piers bragged about knowing Diana in his rant last week, even better her own son, he will have the opportunity to have the stage all for himself on the witness stand

Pull a chair and grab your popcorn

Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.

The phone hacking suit has nothing to do with revenge .There is still a backlog of cases that were brought to light by Leveson

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/05/prince-harry-legal-action-alleged-phone-hacking
It is understood there is a six-year limit on claims, which begins when the claimant first learns about the offence. A source with knowledge of the case said it was part of the round of phone-hacking claims being put together by solicitors for this autumn. Newspaper groups will now be required to provide any evidence that indicates Harry could have been a victim.
The lengthy legal process means any potential trial involving Harry would be unlikely to take place before October 2020. Court listings show he has issued two claims: one against News Group, which published the News of the World until its closure, as well as the Sun; and the second against Mirror Group Newspapers, which owns the Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror.

Personally, I'm skeptical. Through their hard work the Sussexes have clearly demonstrated they plan to use the power & influence their positions afford them to champion the causes they care about. They're not gonna let go of that.

When the lawsuit was announced against the MoS, the thing that jumped out at me most was the statement that should they win their case, monies awarded would be donated to a anti-bullying campaign. Right there you see Harry and Meghan using this lawsuit to further their campaign for mental health and bullying. Its like they've said "no more" to the bullies on the school playground and have gone to the principal's office and the principal's office has contacted the Board of Education and the ball is rolling in the best way to "fight back" against being bullied. They have a legal case in the publishing of a private letter written by Meghan and that's the route they chose to take. Its the legal route to take.

Its a personal thing for Harry and Meghan yet they're using it as a prime example of getting the public on board and urging people that have similar problems or even kids with bullies on the school playground that there are ways and means of handling the problems they face. The "when they go low, go high" kind of thing. Harry and Meghan are, as you say Gawin, using "the power & influence their positions afford them to champion the causes they care about." I believe this is why they went public with Harry's heartfelt statement about the lawsuit.

I have no idea or clue how this all will end but its making waves and garnering attention world wide. I sincerely hope that Harry and Meghan prevail in this case.

Notice the person that was quoted in that article showed how she could care less about why Harry had to make the statement about the unacceptable treatment his wife is receiving. She even went on to accuse Meghan of making Harry make the statement because she’s American and that’s how Americans are. Folks like her don’t care about the abuse Meghan is being hit with. That’s why Harry is so upset. Folks just don’t care. That’s a real problem.

What about other members of the BRF and many, many British people in the public eye that have sued the newspapers because "The public is interested" isn't the same as "In the Public Interest" Including his own father and brother. Because she's American? The Guardian usually prides itself on being better than that, although it often isn't.

Harry has always been perfectly capable of making his own decisions before he met Meghan. You can see that in his passion projects both then and now. Founding The Invictus Games and Sentebale, not to mention being publicly furious he was unable to go to Iraq etc don't show a weak willed guy who needs his domineering wife to force him into writing passionate letters on her and their son's behalf. Even his less wise escapades in his younger years hardly show a shrinking violet who does what he's told, quite the opposite.

I don't think this is the beginning of a retreat from public life, this tour showed they really want to use their position to further causes important to them and they take their commonwealth roles very seriously.

Some Commentary from The Spectator. It’ll be interesting going forward how this all plays out in the ‘court’ of public opinion.

Entire article: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/prince-harrys-misguided-attack-on-the-press/

Read the article - my, the lady who wrote this must be really a fan of Piers Morgan without much knowledge. Harry and Meghan did not decide on which cars to use in SA and they are not payed for by the public. They don't live the life of "fabulously wealthy" people, they are rich enough and mind you, I'd rent a cottage like theirs from my grandmother, too, if there was one for taking. But that's not living "fabulously wealthy" IMHO. The press did not keep pis of baby Archie back and they didn't write about his godparents - they would have printed pap pics of the baby and written about the godperents if they had known. So this whole article is another lie about them and trying to diminish Harry's feelings about the terrible treatment of his wife by the media is not helping anybody at all.

Btw - look through the backlist o the author and you'll see what I mean...

And here I thought the Spectator was a reliable paper!

Harry is joining other claimants, so there are other innocent people who’ve been affected too. Funny how all those ‘royal insiders’ & reporters who are asking ‘why now’, thought they claimed to know everything, even what the Queen is thinking. But didn’t know there are ongoing cases for unethical press behaviour, or is it that certain press are hiding info from the public?

Hopefully in the end, there’ll be much better Press Standards.

Prince Harry: tabloids hid hacking crimes for 20 years
Duke of Sussex joins case against Sun and Mirror in group action alleging documents were destroyed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ins-court-case-against-tabloid-hacking-crimes

Read the article - my, the lady who wrote this must be really a fan of Piers Morgan without much knowledge. Harry and Meghan did not decide on which cars to use in SA and they are not payed for by the public. They don't live the life of "fabulously wealthy" people, they are rich enough and mind you, I'd rent a cottage like theirs from my grandmother, too, if there was one for taking. But that's not living "fabulously wealthy" IMHO. The press did not keep pis of baby Archie back and they didn't write about his godparents - they would have printed pap pics of the baby and written about the godperents if they had known. So this whole article is another lie about them and trying to diminish Harry's feelings about the terrible treatment of his wife by the media is not helping anybody at all.

Btw - look through the backlist o the author and you'll see what I mean...

And here I thought the Spectator was a reliable paper!

The whinging press were also not too bothered when the print media were breaching H and M's privacy by employing 3rd parties to overfly their house in the Cotswolds in breach of Article 8 .You would think that it never happened ,or that they hadn't already won a case last week for false reporting against The Sun .

So according to the Guardian and the Byline article, this new lawsuit is not only about the 2005 hack, but Diana as well.

Byline reports the duke’s claim could see his lawyers seek to establish whether the newspapers intercepted voicemails of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales. The website claims it will also explore whether, even after Diana’s death in August 1997, private investigators were hired to illegally target her friends and family.

I would even say that because of their friends talking to People Magazine, her relationship with her father became front and center again. It had been all over the media last summer but by fall the focus had shifted to H&M's relationship with W&C. So, yes, it seems that whole interview backfired. But as I said before, it seems they are fed up in general but were advised that this was the best chance to win a lawsuit. However, the implication will be that the whole Markle debacle (that in itself was painful enough) will take center stage again.

And maybe it will show the public that Meghan does not care at all when it comes to her paternal family and the media. But that she cares when the media makes steps she can sue against. Maybe the media will learn from that and simply stop harassing her.

Saying a third party choose to share it with them is not a defence of breaching copyright

You're exactly right, this isn't a legal defense.

But I suspect the Mail plans to "strike back" by constantly airing all the dirty laundry about Meghan's relationship with her father. The "ungrateful daughter" narrative. Just more public harassment.

Seems editorial teams at MoS don’t understand what breach of copyright means. Good thing they’re being sued so they can learn for next time. Simple to understand for most, except it seems for MoS; don’t copy & publish, if you don’t have proper permission.

You're exactly right, this isn't a legal defense.

But I suspect the Mail plans to "strike back" by constantly airing all the dirty laundry about Meghan's relationship with her father. The "ungrateful daughter" narrative. Just more public harassment.

This narrative has already been debunked, and he has been proven a liar. Further I doubt Mr Markle will do anything stupid and partake in this public harassment if he hopes to meet Archie one day in his lifetime

Looks like the MoS is striking back sort of speak.

Using Thomas isn’t fighting back since he can’t keep up with his own lies. Also he not saying anything new. It’s predictable he would come out the woodworks. I’m sure Meghan fully expected it. Also nothing they just printed changes anything. They still printed her copyrighted letter.

Also Thomas totally admitted in this article that he removed “painful” pieces because it hurt too much. So they were all edited. And he says he tried calling Meghan in front of the MoS reporter. I mean is he trying to build her case?

Last edited:
Harry is joining other claimants, so there are other innocent people who’ve been affected too. Funny how all those ‘royal insiders’ & reporters who are asking ‘why now’, thought they claimed to know everything, even what the Queen is thinking. But didn’t know there are ongoing cases for unethical press behaviour, or is it that certain press are hiding info from the public?

Hopefully in the end, there’ll be much better Press Standards.

Prince Harry: tabloids hid hacking crimes for 20 years
Duke of Sussex joins case against Sun and Mirror in group action alleging documents were destroyed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ins-court-case-against-tabloid-hacking-crimes

Byline Investigates was first to reveal yesterday that Harry had filed hacking claims against News Group Newspapers and Mirror Group Newspapers for allegedly misusing his private information.

It is understood that Morgan and Brooks will be named in part of the “generic” elements of the law suit, which are common to all claimants in the two set of managed group litigation, which is already moving through the High Court.

Prince Harry is not the only alleged victim suing The Sun and the Daily Mirror. Scores of other victims are already registered in the current wave of litigation. There are said to be hundreds, and probably thousands, more, claimants who could sue if they knew they had been targeted. Mirror Group and News Group have each settled hundreds of claims for tens of millions of pounds, with even more in legal fees.

If there are possibly 100s or 1000s more claimants, then one would think the general public would not be happy about this, because even those that dislike the BRF could be victims. Also not a good look for companies advertising in papers like this.

Whilst I wonder if this will change the way the British media will do their reporting if the Sussexes win their case; I'm also wondering if the international media will also feel inclined/need to change their acts following a potential Sussex victory.

This narrative has already been debunked, and he has been proven a liar. Further I doubt Mr Markle will do anything stupid and partake in this public harassment if he hopes to meet Archie one day in his lifetime
I sincerely hope you're right. But Thomas Markle seems a little naive and unable to consider the consequences of his actions.

I sincerely hope you're right. But Thomas Markle seems a little naive and unable to consider the consequences of his actions.

That's true and sadly, he never seems to learn. He's now quoted in Daily Mail again today about the letter. He seems to always want to have the last word and lacks any insight into how his actions prevent repairing his relationship with his daughter.

I think Prince Harry is doing the right thing. No matter what he does/says, Meghan will be the subject of criticism. The phone hacking allegations apply to many other people and the British tabloid press has too long engaged in this illegal behaviour.

Last edited:

Prince Harry did not mind using his uncle's Kazakh connections and enjoying a private skiing trip to Almaty, Kazakhstan in 2014.

The phone hacking action won't go to trial until October 2020 according to one of the articles?
And what about the MoS action?

If this week is any indication, the coming year is going to be brutal for both sides. These lawsuits will be mentioned in most of the press coverage of the Sussexes both favorable and lukewarm/negative and I include Vanity Fair, Town & Country, People, TMZ (all US)----they won't be able to resist the click bait.

And Ingrid Seward, glad you noticed that in America suing folk is a bit of a national pastime. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom