Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have maintained from the very beginning that the People interview from 5 of Meghan's friends, apparently done with her permission (otherwise how would those 5 friends have known the details of such an intimate letter?) was an absolutely terrible idea, and this is why. The public didn't need to know about Meghan's contact with her father, and the DM certainly didn't need to be tipped off to the existence of the letter. By portraying him in a negative light, Meghan's father had incentive to turn the letter over to the DM to, in his eyes possibly, set the record straight. It's one of several serious lapses in judgment as has been discussed endlessly on these threads.

I'm not excusing the DM, and I personally hope Meghan prevails in the lawsuit, but there wouldn't have been lawsuit at all if Meghan's friends had been discreet, and if she had not given them the go-ahead to share the details.

I am afraid you are rewriting history. Mr Markle was all over TV, specifically GMB with Piers Morgan, saying he had no contact with her since the wedding, that the phone number he had was disconnected, and that she was ghosting him (incidentally Piers Morgan's talking point). That narrative was being repeated in UK media (print and TV) a lie even internationally even though it was lie. They 5 people who talked to People magazine were rebutting that false narrative and it is in this context that they alluded to the existence of that correspondance.

"of public interest" in copyright law refers to artistic works by and large so I can't imagine the MoS legal team pursuing that defense re easily identified and defined private correspondence...but again, that is what makes this type of litigation so interesting.

I am afraid you are rewriting history. Mr Markle was all over TV, specifically GMB with Piers Morgan, saying he had no contact with her since the wedding, that the phone number he had was disconnected, and that she was ghosting him (incidentally Piers Morgan's talking point). That narrative was being repeated in UK media (print and TV) a lie even internationally even though it was lie. They 5 people who talked to People magazine were rebutting that false narrative and it is in this context that they alluded to the existence of that correspondance.

No, I am not rewriting history. I didn't say anything at all about what Meghan's father was or was not saying, because it doesn't matter. Interest in him and what he was saying had significantly died down, and for those people who were still watching, it was fairly clear what was going on. The People article just dredged everything up again, and didn't do much but give some "You tell 'em" satisfaction to some. It also put information into the public domain that was truly private, and that absolutely no one needed to know about, including, apparently the DM.

“This week Harry has taken a further step along a road that could lead to him moving abroad and even abandoning being a prince #PrinceHarry”

Via Peter Hunt Twitter

Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt thinks these lawsuits are part of a larger strategy

Thank you for being precise----"putting information in the public domain" is exactly what happened. It didn't put the contents of the letter in the public domain but it did put it's existence out there for the world to see.

“This week Harry has taken a further step along a road that could lead to him moving abroad and even abandoning being a prince #PrinceHarry”

Via Peter Hunt Twitter

Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt thinks these lawsuits are part of a larger strategy

I feel Hunt is being quite dramatic but that is fairly typical of him. Though the Sussexes removing themselves from the royal life would definitely be an interesting story and I am not sure a completely positive one for the royal family as a whole depending on how it happens. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised either way. There will be many changes once HMQ is no longer with us.

"of public interest" in copyright law refers to artistic works by and large so I can't imagine the MoS legal team pursuing that defense re easily identified and defined private correspondence...but again, that is what makes this type of litigation so interesting.

It seems that is their strongest argument and public domain. It for sure will be interesting to see how they proceed. Though I get the feeling this will eventually be settled.

Mike: "I'm going to sue Harry and Meghan. I want the money back for every single thing that these pair have taken off of us as taxpayers. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - you two are an absolutely disgrace."

Listen: Talk Radio

A bit of flavour from the airwaves. Thank god free speech is part of democratic debate.

Not surprised by his words. He's a former journalist & newspaper editor so of course he'd take the media's side. He repeats negative stories about Harry and Meghan but ignores the positive stories, such as their charity work & recent successful tour.

Free speech is definitely good but it's important to spot the speaker's bias.

I feel Hunt is being quite dramatic but that is fairly typical of him. Though the Sussexes removing themselves from the royal life would definitely be an interesting story and I am not sure a completely positive one for the royal family as a whole depending on how it happens. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised either way. There will be many changes once HMQ is no longer with us.

I have said before that I believe Harry will stand by his father if/once he ascends the throne. When the reign of Charles is done however, I am not so sure he will stick around with his family

It seems that is their strongest argument and public domain. It for sure will be interesting to see how they proceed. Though I get the feeling this will eventually be settled.

I agree. This looks like a plaintiff wins legal/loses PR while defense loses legal/wins PR possibility if they don't and I don't think either side really wants that.

Sincerely, Lady Glendower, Private Citizen that is so glad that her quiet little life allows her to discuss things on the The Royal Forums with congenial companions. :lol:

Via Peter Hunt Twitter

Well, it's certainly a story that will get Peter Hunt clicks. Brilliant move on his part.

Personally, I'm skeptical. Through their hard work the Sussexes have clearly demonstrated they plan to use the power & influence their positions afford them to champion the causes they care about. They're not gonna let go of that.

Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.

Harry's statement was rather public. That was what Xenia was referring to if I'm not mistaken.

I fully understand them taking action but if this second lawsuit is truly about something that happened years and years ago that seems more like revenge than anything else. And that in itself doesn't look good (even if fully justified; in that case they are mainly on a hunt to find anything to hurt those who hurt them).

The other thing that concerns me is that Harry's statement was released on their private website that hadn't been used before (if I understand it correctly); that - in combination with it being their own money that is being used - raises the question whether the rest of the family agrees with this course of action (or at least statement); because if so, why wasn't it released via the normal channels? Of course, they are their own people and can do as they see fit but at the same time they play a part in a bigger whole (the position they have and the life they want to lead completely depends on it) and if the key players in that 'bigger picture' don't agree with either the statement or the lawsuit itself, it could get complicated.

We still don’t know the full details on the second lawsuit.

Yes, his statement was public. It had to be done that way to get the point across. He was rather nice, appropriate and diplomatic in his statement. If it was up to me, I would’ve put all kinds of four letter words in the statement, but that’s just me. He’s just one step away from actually doing that though.

I’m sure the family knew what Harry was going to do long before he did it. Harry have too much respect for his grandmother and father than to just spring a surprise on them. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan. I know all about the family long held motto “never complain, never explain” but this campaign has been extremely vicious and is full of racist undertones and it was done without a morsel of pushback from the family she married into. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.

That's definitely a risk he's taking.

I'm undecided about all of this. On the one hand the couple got glowing reviews during their recent tour. Why not capitalize on that and move on?

On the other hand, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm not on the receiving end. Harry's dealt with the media all his life and obviously he believes this s**t will never end unless he takes drastic measures.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best. For Harry & Meghan, that is, not the media. ?

Last edited:
That's definitely a risk he's taking.

I'm undecided about all of this. On the one hand the couple got glowing reviews during their recent tour. Why not capitalize on that and move on?

On the other hand, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm not on the receiving end. Harry's dealt with the media all his life and obviously he believes this s**t will never end unless he takes drastic measures.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best. For Harry & Meghan, that is, not the media. ?

That’s because the glowing reviews they were getting from the tour was always going to be temporary. Just as soon as their plane landed back in the UK, the campaign was going to resume. Harry pointed out the double standard in his statement.

I agree the titles aren’t nearly as profitable as they once were but the owners still have deep pockets. Viscount Rothermere is worth somewhere around £1.5 billion.

News of the World went bust. The owner (Murdoch) had equally deep pockets. Proof that seemingly invulnerable media can be hit hard when Lady Justitia wants to set an example.

News of the World went bust. The owner (Murdoch) had equally deep pockets. Proof that seemingly invulnerable media can be hit hard when Lady Justitia wants to set an example.

Yes but NoTW went bust not because Rupert Murdoch couldn’t afford to keep it afloat. There were other powers at play.

My point is a million dollar fine to a billionaire isn’t enough to work up a sweat.

Not so strange for someone who saw his very own mother mercilessly hunted by the heyenas and jackals of the tabloids. We are used to British vile media, but what happened to the Duchess, without any particular reason, was a pure assassin by proxy. Never ever I have seen a royal being so trashed. And what for? What has she ever done to get such a treatment? The Duke is right to take all legal means available to protect his family for a repeating of history.

Not so strange for someone who saw his very own mother mercilessly hunted by the heyenas and jackals of the tabloids. We are used to British vile media, but what happened to the Duchess, without any particular reason, was a pure assassin by proxy. Never ever I have seen a royal being so trashed. And what for? What has she ever done to get such a treatment? The Duke is right to take all legal means available to protect his family for a repeating of history.

It always takes 2 to tango, it did with Diana as we all know and it does with Meghan. And the problem is that there is either black or white, no middle ground anymore. Opinion is divided and both sides are more and more aggressively holding their ground (I am not referring to you or the tone of your post). The lawsuits won't stop but only increase that.

It always takes 2 to tango, it did with Diana as we all know and it does with Meghan. And the problem is that there is either black or white, no middle ground anymore. Opinion is divided and both sides are more and more aggressively holding their ground (I am not referring to you or the tone of your post). The lawsuits won't stop but only increase that.

Harry’s mother had no one to protect her. Harry is letting everyone know he’s gonna protect his wife. If folks don’t like it, that’s too bad. His statement spoke volumes on that.

Meghan hasn’t done anything to bring about the campaign against her. No one should fault a man for getting upset for slamming his wife because they can’t accept Meghan for being Meghan.

From an article by Alex Barker in yesterday's Financial Times:

"People close to the Duke say he sees himself mounting a bigger campaign against a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life."

We still don’t know the full details on the second lawsuit.

Yes, his statement was public. It had to be done that way to get the point across. He was rather nice, appropriate and diplomatic in his statement. If it was up to me, I would’ve put all kinds of four letter words in the statement, but that’s just me. He’s just one step away from actually doing that though.
I would sincerely hope he would refrain from that. I am sure Michelle Obama's mantra 'when they go low, we go high' is well known to them.

I’m sure the family knew what Harry was going to do long before he did it. Harry have too much respect for his grandmother and father than to just spring a surprise on them. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan.
I am quite sure they KNEW (especially since it had been months in the making - although the official statement doesn't say a word about the queen and prince of Wales being informed; that information was probably shared separately) but that is not the same as them agreeing with the way they are handling it. The fact that this statement was not published through their BP office speaks volumes. It could be that they fully support the lawsuit but not the statement or the other way around. If they were completely on board, I would have expected a different course of action. Nonetheless, now H&M chose taking this route, I assume they support them and hope for the best.

by the way, isn't it funny that it is the first weekend in years that there is no story about the Sussexes except a cotton candy type story in the Sun?

Check this headline MEG-A CUTE Meghan Markle and Prince Harry share a video of their favourite Africa tour moments-including Baby Archie's first royal outing

With pink and all :whistling::whistling: I guess this the lawsuit effect

"People close to the Duke say he sees himself mounting a bigger campaign against a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life."

I hope not. It seems a really bad idea for a royal to take on the press 'in general'. That's rather different from trying to make them toe the line on royal reporting.

I would sincerely hope he would refrain from that. I am sure Michelle Obama's mantra 'when they go low, we go high' is well known to them.

I am quite sure they KNEW (especially since it had been months in the making - although the official statement doesn't say a word about the queen and prince of Wales being informed; that information was probably shared separately) but that is not the same as them agreeing with the way they are handling it. The fact that this statement was not published through their BP office speaks volumes. It could be that they fully support the lawsuit but not the statement or the other way around. If they were completely on board, I would have expected a different course of action. Nonetheless, now H&M chose taking this route, I assume they support them and hope for the best.

If the family don’t support the statement, then shame on them. Everything Harry laid out in his statement truly summed up what’s been going on in this smear campaign. The family should not only back it, but they should publicly rally around Meghan. The way she’s been treated can’t be justified and nor should it be accepted by the royal family.

I hope not. It seems a really bad idea for a royal to take on the press 'in general'. That's rather different from trying to make them toe the line on royal reporting.

That's not what the statement means. Harry's not taking on the press 'in general.'

He sees his own treatment by the media (and Meghan's) as part of a bigger issue - "a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life." Some elements within the media have a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth, sometimes ruining lives in the process. I suspect Harry thinks its time for all of this "rot" to stop - not only for Meghan and himself - but for other media victims as well.

Last edited:

The British tabloids are hors categorie when it comes to vile, nasty campaigns. Indeed the rot in British civic life because with 24/24 and 7/7 availability of media, any spin, fake news, bubble is extremely damaging. Beyond comparison with Diana's pre-internet media treatment. Good that now the prey shows it can claw back too.

Well, it's certainly a story that will get Peter Hunt clicks. Brilliant move on his part.

Personally, I'm skeptical. Through their hard work the Sussexes have clearly demonstrated they plan to use the power & influence their positions afford them to champion the causes they care about. They're not gonna let go of that.

I don't know... At some point Prince Harry must realize, that his offspring will not be on the royal list. And then he must monetize - as some kind of trade representative towards Africa or something, where he makes some pounds.

Sounds ugly - but the necessities life can be ugly...

Or he goes to America! And makes the monies there... He becomes the Senator of California, democrat of course; and Meghan takes over Oprah Winfrey's role. They would be a huuuuge success!

I don't know... At some point Prince Harry must realize, that his offspring will not be on the royal list. And then he must monetize - as some kind of trade representative towards Africa or something, where he makes some pounds.

Sounds ugly - but the necessities life can be ugly...

Or he goes to America! And makes the monies there... He becomes the Senator of California, democrat of course; and Meghan takes over Oprah Winfrey's role. They would be a huuuuge success!

Anne's children aren't royal, neither are Edward's, and Andrew's aren't working royals. I don't think this is an issue for Harry and Meghan. Besides, Meghan did just fine financially before she was on the royal list.

Anne's children aren't royal, neither are Edward's, and Andrew's aren't working royals. I don't think this is an issue for Harry and Meghan. Besides, Meghan did just fine financially before she was on the royal list.

Sorry, but I forgot, what I wanted to say: If Harry wants to makes his monies IN the UK, he will have to find a good position towards the press, some kind of friendly agreement. Otherwise Archie and his possible offspring will be poor.

In the last generation Prince Andrew, who is comparable to Harry, including Helicopters and all, made some monies with kazakh oligarchs and so on - he was a trade representative....

And in the USA the press can be ugly too! Ask Mr. Trump...

Harry is too old, to revenge his mother or something.

That's not what the statement means. Harry's not taking on the press 'in general.'

He sees his own treatment by the media (and Meghan's) as part of a bigger issue - "a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life." Some elements within the media have a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth, sometimes ruining lives in the process. I suspect Harry thinks its time for all of this "rot" to stop - not only for Meghan and himself - but for other media victims as well.

The message I responded to alluded to something much bigger than Harry's private legal fight (at least that's how I interpreted it). If he intends to broaden his fight, that would be a bad thing. If he just thinks that by these lawsuits he is playing a small part in a bigger fight, that would make sense to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom