Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not fall into the alarmist tone the media wants us to. The media is the one making threats, gaslighting and acting terrible. But Harry is largely following a template followed by other family members. He isn't suing for libel. But for specific illegal actions.

The British tabloids have been a blight on journalism for a longtime, dragging the whole industry with them in the never ending drive for profit.

If the papers don't want to cover Harry and Meghan, that is their choice. But somehow, I think the $$$$$ they get from those two will be rather too much to pass up.

From what I gathered it was confirmed by the palace it is over hacked voicemails. It seems this is the old case and Harry is seeking legal action now.

You are right that criticizing people is not illegal but hacking and publishing private property without consent are and that is where they are hitting them. The Sussexes are taking very real legal actions where they can.

Some members of the media already have threatened to not cover their stuff. If that is what they want.... go for it. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. No one should not do what is right in fear that the people who wronged you will retaliate. This is now up to the courts.

The palace has refused to say what the claims are actually pending further briefing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not fall into the alarmist tone the media wants us to. The media is the one making threats, gaslighting and acting terrible. But Harry is largely following a template followed by other family members. He isn't suing for libel. But for specific illegal actions.

The British tabloids have been a blight on journalism for a longtime, dragging the whole industry with them in the never ending drive for profit.

If the papers don't want to cover Harry and Meghan, that is their choice. But somehow, I think the $$$$$ they get from those two will be rather too much to pass up.

I don't think anyone is arguing with Harry and Meghan's right to sue, or arguing that what the DM, Mirror and Sun were alleged to have done is all right, so I see no need to drag all the other BRF into the discussion. I think what muddies the waters here is Harry's letter, which on account of its timing, does make one question what the hoped for outcome is, because the legal action and the letter clearly are related, at least in his mind. To your point about the papers continuing to cover the Sussexes, I'm sure they will. What the coverage consists of will be the question.

But drawing the line on what? If Harry's phone was hacked, that absolutely is worth going to court over, as well as the copyright issue. The question a lot of us have been asking, however, remains: what is the Sussexes desired end result? I'm very curious to see how this all plays out, because, as sophie25 points out, while taking these companies to court for their alleged shady practices may be the right thing to do, that doesn't mean those tabloids will let up on portraying the Sussexes in a negative light--which is the part that actually seems to be enraging Harry.

I think while that upsets him, what really enrages him is the lack of proper remedy to address terrible behavior. Like what happened with The Sun this week. They had a legal victory and prove that original story was a lie, but how many people will see the required apology that was buried in the fine print?

My view is it's about exposing the shadiness and nastiness at this point. Ultimately, paper can write whatever they want. If the first things comes to people's mind when hearing the paper's name is that they are shady and they lie, it wouldn't matter what the tabloids say. As much as I want to say people should know better, that's just not how it works. Most people who aren't actively following BRF DO need to hear it and see it to get it.

Honestly, given some other recent scandals involving media behavior, one of which Prince Harry made a statement about on IG, I think it's the general practice of the tabloids he's taking issues with.

Last edited:
I didn't say the press should commit illegal acts, when did I say that? I am pointing out that Harry wants to hammer the press for criticising his wife but ultimately he can't stop it even if he wins in court and that afterwards his relationship with them will probably be irreparable BUT I also said that he is entitled to act as he sees fit.

I agree with you the media will not stop attacking her but we don't how it will effect the press or the royals. Years ago when the hacking scandal occurred it did change things for a while. Times have changed but a scandal is a scandal. And in these times so is the bottomline.

I don't think Harry is under the delusion he can really go against the tabloid press but he can hurt them somewhat especially if this particular hacking case goes to trial. They tend to always settle because these companies do not want to expose themselves.

So it will be interesting. More so than the copyright, IMO.

Looking at the end game from my point of view is that even win or lose the cases, the cases are perhaps going to make the general public more aware of just what games these people that have, what seems like, no scruples are playing. Its standing up and taking bullying to a global level with as much popularity the Sussex family is garnering right now. With the public following these court cases and seeing actual legal reasons for filing lawsuits in the first place, more and more people will be aware that they're being fed half truths, exaggerated, malicious and even totally fabricated stories and cease to pay attention to these publications.

I read one article that stated exactly that-that this going to trial will raise awareness. Many people have sued for phone hacking, but almost all the cases were settled before they ended up in court. So millions of dollars have been paid out, but the public hasn't really heard the dirty deeds that the newspapers are involved in.

^ The unfortunate reality is that its far easier to encourage/direct dislike toward an individual than against a bloc, such as the Tabloids, Few know or care about Lord Rothermere, but all know the Duchess...and an Instagram account is 'chickenfeed' compared to the daily readership of the newspapers and their online manifestations.

I don't think anyone is arguing with Harry and Meghan's right to sue, or arguing that what the DM, Mirror and Sun were alleged to have done is all right, so I see no need to drag all the other BRF into the discussion. I think what muddies the waters here is Harry's letter, which on account of its timing, does make one question what the hoped for outcome is, because the legal action and the letter clearly are related, at least in his mind. To your point about the papers continuing to cover the Sussexes, I'm sure they will. What the coverage consists of will be the question.

My point was largely that many are acting like Harry's actions are somehow on the extreme end and that there will be no going back--BUT multiple members of his family have sued for similar things so he isn't actually doing something super new or extreme and the impact on the reporting will be what is.

But as someone else mentioned, this is a public campaign basically. People *know* the tabloids lie but sometimes you need it to be clearly demonstrated in the public arena for it to stick. The tabloids have more power in the UK than they do in most other media markets. Publicly discrediting them seems to be the goal as a way to get the public to both remember the past actions of the tabloid media and see how things have NOT actually changed. More reform is needed.

And frankly, the Mirror and Sun are both in very very tight financial positions. I am not sure they can withstand a big public trial or beating. I think Harry is being pretty strategic with his hits here.

Now the MoS/DM can probably withstand a lot more given their wide viewership so that will be interesting...

^ The unfortunate reality is that its far easier to encourage/direct dislike toward an individual than against a bloc, such as the Tabloids, Few know or care about Lord Rothermere, but all know the Duchess...and an Instagram account is 'chickenfeed' compared to the daily readership of the newspapers and their online manifestations.

Well that can shift over the course of a public trial if it goes that far. People have long memories and the actions of the press of late toward others like the outing of Gareth Thomas has people seeing things in different ways.

Will it happen? Who knows. Time will certainly tell but having it splashed globally that Harry is suing the tabloid for allegedly hacking his phone will create a dialogue especially when it is the same papers who call his wife vulgar for wearing a dress and eating an avocado.

And financially this can hurt some of these publications.

Both brothers have reflected on the horrible treatment of their mother within their efforts to make sure their wives and family aren’t treated in the same manner. That’s their right to bring their mother into situations like this. She’s their mother.

Harry isn’t ignoring his advisors. That the outside forces twisted narrative that some people are buying.

I’m taken aback on how folks are offended by Harry standing up to the media over the completely unacceptable treatment of his wife. What they want him to do? stay silent and just let it happen for the sake of not getting on the bad side of the press? Allow the MoS to just do what they want with his wife’s private letter? I mean, really? What do people want from this couple?

Such good and necessary questions!!

I don't think H&M are so naive to think they can reform the tabloids. Clearly the tabloids are just the reaction to a need of a certain part of the public. If this public would react annoyed or even quit reading, the editors would follow them trying to gain their readers back.

So no, I don't think the "media" is the sole point of "attack" for H&M. They want their privacy. They want to raise their son in peace. They want to use the public interest in them to help charitable efforts to gain public attention.Where does it say you can't have your privacy when you want the media for your aims? Especially if your aims are not or your own but for others?

I don't see the need of the "public" to find out more of H&M's life than they are willing to give. So I hope this is onely the first of a lot of legal proceedings till the tabloids understand what is news and what isn't! (No, I don't think they will learn about the value of the truth ever. When there are so many, many stores available otherwise).

Both brothers have reflected on the horrible treatment of their mother within their efforts to make sure their wives and family aren’t treated in the same manner. That’s their right to bring their mother into situations like this. She’s their mother.

Harry isn’t ignoring his advisors. That the outside forces twisted narrative that some people are buying.

I’m taken aback on how folks are offended by Harry standing up to the media over the completely unacceptable treatment of his wife. What they want him to do? stay silent and just let it happen for the sake of not getting on the bad side of the press? Allow the MoS to just do what they want with his wife’s private letter? I mean, really? What do people want from this couple?

How do you know that Harry is not ignoring his advisors or he is? We should all stick to facts anything else is speculative, well intentioned or not.

I am curious to a question, but no one in this forum knows except Harry and his advisors!

We can all speculate without speaking as a matter of fact

Sometimes keeping quite is the hardest thing to do and not always react or fight when there is no big wins. That’s my opinion, off course.

There's two issues running parallel here, the behaviour of the Sussex's themselves and the behaviour of some elements of the press and I'm afraid that one dosn't cancel out the other. Most members of the public would condemn phone hacking but those same people are just as likely to still regard Harry and Meghan as hypocrites for taking private jets whilst preaching about the enviroment or be annoyed at their apparent desire to be more celebrities than royals sometimes whilst living off the public purse. That's reflected on social media where it's individuals who are roundly criticising H and M not the papers. People form their opinions on what they see and whilst Harry is angry at the papers he really should look at how he has done certain things since his wedding and ask if perhaps there are valid reasons for the negativity coming his way. I doubt that will happen though as he and Meghan give off the vibe they are utterly convinced they know best about the subjects they talk about and how certain things should be done so I doubt they even notice that it rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. That's why, phone hacking or copyright issues aside, I don't think anything positive will come out of these court cases for H and M.

Sometimes keeping quite is the hardest thing to do and not always react or fight when there is no big wins. That’s my opinion, off course.

I think it takes a lot of bravery to go against a giant when no one expects you to win. This is how change occurs. It is your own personal journey but I would rather fail while trying instead of turning a blind eye and wondering what if.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sussexes had planned to sue these newspapers for a long time and the reasons behind him suing them now (Meghan's letter and the illegal answer phone messages) are just a trigger for them to take proper action. These particular outlets have had a history of attacking and stalking members of the BRF.
It will be really interesting to see how policies in regards to what outlets can share will pan out if the Sussexes win their case.

After three years of abuse the Sussexes are fighting back. They tried to settle Lettergate quietly but some how things fell apart and they said enough. Let's face it the British media has exploited the "never complain never explain" stance of the royals. The hit dogs in the media are hollering because they were broadsided with the announcement of the lawsuit and I suspect some didn't think Meghan would sue because it involves her father. I still believe DM fears Tom Sr is a liability and it would take steps to completely discredit him if it comes to his testifying. As for threatening not to cover the Sussexes - empty threat considering there are too many media outlets that would gladly pick up the slack, especially in the US. Harry's lawsuit is a wildcard. We don't know the details, allegedly for hacking from years ago. The fact that BP confirmed the suit means these suits have been planned for months and all pertinent parties knew. There may be a strategy behind this and we won't know more filings come through by deadlines. Some in the press got their feelings hurt and are lashing out, basically proving Harry's point and the temper tantrums could be used at trial, depending on UK law.

While some think the Sussexes are tilting windmills here and the press will still go after them even with a win they should fight the fight. They have been hurt enough and they may inspire others who believe they have no chance against a behemoth to stand up. Purposing a new hashtag- #sussexstrong.

With all the latest developments, all I can say is that now we *know* the silly season is over with! :D

Well, as I quoted earlier from commentary I've read regarding the initial legal action:

"Harry's had enough... He's a soldier, he's ready." And, I'm here for it.

Last edited:
J*sus. Harry has totally gone off his rocker. Instead of punching outside, he would be wise to rather start digging inside.
I will not elaborate any further and refrain from this thread.

Comments that after years of abuse towards his now family, Harry is now fighting back made sense yesterday.

Now, not so much.

It is clear that Harry has some long-held-- grudges? scars?-- in relation to the media that he has decided to work out now. As someone who was applauding him for the past two days, I think it's a shame that he tried to lump that in with his quite right intentions to protect his wife and son, as if it's all one crusade.

If he is harboring feelings about the way the phone hacking scandals from over a decade ago were handled, my heart breaks for him. He was young at the time and it's clear he felt he was never given a chance at justice and those with guardianship over him and his affairs should have seen to it he was given that chance. But this whole thing is now strange-- this is not a man fighting for his wife and child, this is a man fighting his own long past battles, and the two simply can't be lumped together into "poor media treatment."

It doesn't work like that. You can't say "You treated her poorly today, so I'm going to get you for what you did ten years ago." That's... extremely distasteful. "I have a legal claim against you, so if you don't tow the line, I'll file it in court." "I know what you did ten years ago, so treat my family well, or else!" Court systems don't work that way, and that's... really how this is coming across. Or, it's coming across as... "Not only do they treat her badly, but look! Look what they did to me!" Either way, that's... not what courts are designed to do, to wait around for years until you decide to file and strike to suit your interests. It may work. It will more likely backfire. Because "why did you file now" is a legitimate question to be asked and unless there is something new we don't know (and I hope there is) the answer could be ... interesting?

Last edited:
I don't see it as such -- almost or otherwise. If someone has committed a crime then it is the victim's right to seek justice for it. It doesn't matter if it was yesterday or 10 years ago. And it being an inconvenience to them is really of little matter. I can see your argument being one the publications could attempt but I think will be extremely weak of them.

Last edited:
The second lawsuit filing is perplexing to me because fighting two different causes of action against separate parties at the same time presents some challenges. And in the US, at least, its rather expensive. Its something that usually happens in class action situations (big tobacco lawsuits are an example).

I'm really not seeing the strategy---not saying it doesn't exist of course---but I guess I just don't see it yet.

I fully support the Sussexes and hope they will be successful in all of their actions against the press! I think it’s brave of Harry to use his privilege to help not just himself, but others who may benefit in the future if there are better media standards & regulation.

Comments that after years of abuse towards his now family, Harry is now fighting back made sense yesterday.

Now, not so much.

It is clear that Harry has some long-held-- grudges? scars?-- in relation to the media that he has decided to work out now. As someone who was applauding him for the past two days, I think it's a shame that he tried to lump that in with his quite right intentions to protect his wife and son, as if it's all one crusade.

If he is harboring feelings about the way the phone hacking scandals from over a decade ago were handled, my heart breaks for him. He was young at the time and it's clear he felt he was never given a chance at justice and those with guardianship over him and his affairs should have seen to it he was given that chance. But this whole thing is now strange-- this is not a man fighting for his wife and child, this is a man fighting his own long past battles, and the two simply can't be lumped together into "poor media treatment."

It doesn't work like that. You can't say "You treated her poorly today, so I'm going to get you for what you did ten years ago." That's... extremely distasteful. "I have a legal claim against you, so if you don't tow the line, I'll file it in court." "I know what you did ten years ago, so treat my family well, or else!" Court systems don't work that way, and that's... really how this is coming across. Or, it's coming across as... "Not only do they treat her badly, but look! Look what they did to me!" Either way, that's... not what courts are designed to do, to wait around for years until you decide to file and strike to suit your interests. It may work. It will more likely backfire. Because "why did you file now" is a legitimate question to be asked and unless there is something new we don't know (and I hope there is) the answer could be ... interesting?

We don't know when Harry became aware of these hacked VM. It very well could be new ones not uncovered until recently or ones sepate from the ones already disclosed.

Or it could be more recent ones. The actual claim have yet to be fully revealed.

Either way, wrong is wrong. The courts are set up to address wron doing, regardless of when a crime occured unless statutorily bound. If he decided to file now because he hates Piers Morgan, for example, BECAUSE of his near daily abuse of Meghan, is that not still fighting for his family? Even if Piers is not implicated [unlikely given the timeframe in question and paper] why does it matter? A wrong was still allegedly committed and maybe Harry now feels enough in control of his affairs to pursue it.

Trust me, no one will feel bad for these papers or for Piers. Its long been time for them to come to roost.

Last edited:
Some Commentary from The Spectator. It’ll be interesting going forward how this all plays out in the ‘court’ of public opinion.

"Harry and Meghan want the public to admire them and to rally behind the woke causes they espouse. But then they are outraged by criticism and their actions being subject to scrutiny. Some of the criticism levelled at the couple is perfectly justified. They lecture us on protecting the environment but travel by private jet and have their own fleet of cars shipped from the UK to South Africa. They tell us how to live but lead a lifestyle that is so fabulously wealthy it is beyond most people’s imagining. The Duke and Duchess want press coverage but on their terms – deferential, discreet and on message. Unfortunately for them this is not journalism – it’s called ‘public relations’."

Entire article: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/prince-harrys-misguided-attack-on-the-press/

The second lawsuit filing is perplexing to me because fighting two different causes of action against separate parties at the same time presents some challenges. And in the US, at least, its rather expensive. Its something that usually happens in class action situations (big tobacco lawsuits are an example).

I'm really not seeing the strategy---not saying it doesn't exist of course---but I guess I just don't see it yet.

The two lawsuits are being handled by two different law firms. Schillings is handling the letter case and Clintons is handling the hacking case.

High profile, wealthy people have gone after the tabloids in the U.S., usually because of a last straw or a particularly egregious story or action.

We don't know when Harry became aware of these hacked VM. It very well could be new ones not uncovered until recently or ones sepate from the ones already disclosed.

Or it could be more recent ones. The actual claim have yet to be fully revealed.

Either way, wrong is wrong. The courts are set up to address wron doing, regardless of when a crime occured unless statutorily bound. If he decided to file now because he hates Piers Morgan, for example, BECAUSE of his near daily abuse of Meghan, is that not still fighting for his family? Even if Piers is not implicated [unlikely given the timeframe in question and paper] why does it matter? A wrong was still allegedly committed and maybe Harry now feels enough in control of his affairs to pursue it.

Trust me, no one will feel bad for these papers or for Piers. Its long been time for them to come to roost.

That’s true. And honestly, it is entirely justifiable that this is something he didn’t pursue before because his issue was always with how things will change going forward. With the Leveson inquiry and other fallouts, the media did have to drawn back some of the more unethical tactics. But it seems to gotten quite underhanded again. If Harry feels that no significant improvements have been made since then, he’s got every right to seek justice and expose those that behaved without any regard for other people.

Last edited:
I think a lot (perception-wise)hinges on when the alleged hacking took place. If it was recent--say within the last 5 years--it seems reasonable and pertinent. If the hacking took place when Harry was still a teenager, as some sources have speculated, then it does seem a little odder to go after the Mirror and Sun now. It will be interesting to see what the details of the case are. I wonder how long it will be before we get that information?

Last edited:
The first lawsuit I understand but I am curious about this new one. If this is indeed from 2005, I’m curious as to what made him decide to sue now and whether he asked William and Kate to sign on as well - their phones were hacked too.

I recall a few of the hack voicemails involved Chelsy and during the 2015 hacking trial, there was some less than flattering details that emerged regarding how the BRF felt about her. I can'’t imagine she wants to go through this again, so I do hope Harry gave her a heads up before he filed suit.

The Spectator article was great for giggles but I can smell the fear wafting between the lines. Fear by the British media that some questionable practices may be revealed in court; fear of a MoS loss in court could open the floodgates of action against them down the road. Is this a jury trial? Seems likes an attempt to poison the jury pool.

Some Commentary from The Spectator. It’ll be interesting going forward how this all plays out in the ‘court’ of public opinion.

Entire article: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/prince-harrys-misguided-attack-on-the-press/

I’m sorry, but that blog is nothing but a revisionist history. Even trying to conceal an illegal act by MoS by omitting pertinent details. I am also missing where Prince Harry said only glowing articles allowed. Fact of matter is, while there has been some that are legitimate criticism, those are far and few in between. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of apologies have been issued to the Sussexes in the span of two years. Perhaps looking at those examples of egregious behavior is a appropriate analysis on if there is merit to Prince Harry’s letter. But I suppose that’s why it’s on the blog part, and not reporting.

TBH, I thought he should’ve attached all the apologies they’ve received in the last couple of years as appendix to the letter as example. But I don’t know if that’s operating in bad faith if they already agreed to settle.

Last edited:
The Sun issued another apology to the Sussexes in the last week. Public opinion is an interesting thing. They run hot and cold. Depending on that is naive. Just stick to facts and if Harry's lawyers feel he has a decent chance it is likely why he (and Meghan) are pursuing these suits.

The first lawsuit I understand but I am curious about this new one. If this is indeed from 2005, I’m curious as to what made him decide to sue now and whether he asked William and Kate to sign on as well - their phones were hacked too.

I recall a few of the hack voicemails involved Chelsy and during the 2015 hacking trial, there was some less than flattering details that emerged regarding how the BRF felt about her. I can'’t imagine she wants to go through this again, so I do hope Harry gave her a heads up before he filed suit.

This is my concern because Catherine’s voicemails were hacked more than any other individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom