Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Daily Mail lied? I am shocked!
In other news, water is wet.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-29-2020, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Since Harry & Meghan are launching lawsuits on the Mail on Sunday, I think it's appropriate to share this new Daily Mail article written by Rebecca English. According to her, two ex-palace staffs who previously worked for the Sussexes, Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy have been rehired. Loughran and Herlihy would work on charity projects in the UK.

Team Megxit reunited: Two Palace aides who lost jobs in March are back on Sussexes' payroll in couple's hiring spree
EXCLUSIVE: Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rehired two former palace aides
They have employed ex-palace staff Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy on a freelance basis
The pair, both in their 30s, lost their jobs in March when Harry and Meghan moved to North America

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-spree.html

I wonder if this article could be brought up in the upcoming court cases

Old 12-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Since Harry & Meghan are launching lawsuits on the Mail on Sunday, I think it's appropriate to share this new Daily Mail article written by Rebecca English. According to her, two ex-palace staffs who previously worked for the Sussexes, Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy have been rehired. Loughran and Herlihy would work on charity projects in the UK.

Team Megxit reunited: Two Palace aides who lost jobs in March are back on Sussexes' payroll in couple's hiring spree
EXCLUSIVE: Duke and Duchess of Sussex have rehired two former palace aides
They have employed ex-palace staff Clara Loughran and Beth Herlihy on a freelance basis
The pair, both in their 30s, lost their jobs in March when Harry and Meghan moved to North America

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-spree.html

I wonder if this article could be brought up in the upcoming court cases
The hiring is on a freelance basis so not the same as when they were employed by the palace, and from what I gather according to UK law it means H&M are not responsible to pay for healthcare, and other benefits which a regular employee would.- luckily for the women they live in the UK and not the US where healthcare for a freelancer is through the roof! but still.
And this is without going into my own personal opinion about this kind of companies.

in term of lawsuits, i'm confused as to why you think this can be brought up in the lawsuit, and by whom, the Sussexes or the DM?
Old 12-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Courtier

The Sussexes could potentially brought it up, if this article turn out to be false

Or if there is some degree of truth in the Daily Mail article, could the Sussexes accused the Mail on Sunday for invasion of privacy? I'm guessing the narrative of palace staffs (in large numbers) leaving the Sussexes in 2018-2019 put out by the Daily Mail (& other tabloids) did have a negative toll on Harry & Meghan. Well, Meghan more specifically, given she mentioned in her lawsuit that she felt unprotected by the Royal Family as an institution.

Of course, these are just my thoughts and (possibly very off) speculation
Old 12-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Courtier

The article actually states that 2 of the women who lost their jobs have formed their own company and now have H&M as clients.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 AM
Courtier

Roya Nikkhah has written an article on Meghan's privacy court case, particularly on how the courtiers and palace staff allegedly pray/hope that the trial would end without Meghan appearing in Court.

Palace prays Meghan can avoid her day in court
Courtiers hope a bid to end the Duchess of Sussex’s privacy fight before a trial will spare the royals’ blushes
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ourt-7cjpwgckx
Old 01-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Courtier

Whilst I would think most of them hope this will end without a trial and maybe that they should never have been so litigious in the first place, I don't think they particularly need to worry about what might come out if it happens.

The judge has made it very clear he considers a lot of things Meghan's barrister was trying to pin to the case irrelevant, including a lot of things about how she felt the BRF supported her or not and turning this case into a general trial of her time in the UK.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Whilst I would think most of them hope this will end without a trial and maybe that they should never have been so litigious in the first place, I don't think they particularly need to worry about what might come out if it happens.

The judge has made it very clear he considers a lot of things Meghan's barrister was trying to pin to the case irrelevant, including a lot of things about how she felt the BRF supported her or not and turning this case into a general trial of her time in the UK.
I think they are more worried of the Streisand effect - the recent Depp/Heard court case has shown that too. Regardless of what this was about to beginning other details will emerge and be discussed and expanded on. Some of it might even leaked to the media - it is too much and the palace PR this year is very clear what there priorities are this year - they need the press focused and not going off on tangents.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Courtier

In regards to the High Court hearing, the date has been moved from 11th to 19th January. Meghan apparently has applied for summary judgement, which means if granted, the full trial would be avoided.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
A change of date for the next High Court stage of Meghan's legal action against the Mail on Sunday for publishing her personal letter to her father.
It will now be heard on Tuesday 19 January.
Meghan has applied for a "summary judgement". If granted a full trial would be avoided.
11:15 PM · Jan 6, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...92456944295941

New Date Set for Hearing in Meghan Markle's Legal Battle Over a Letter to Her Father
The long-running legal battle has taken many twists and turns over the past 15 months.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...ring-date-set/
Old 01-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

"...combined costs estimated to have reached 3 million.."

granted, i have no idea what your average courtcase costs, but...wow...
Old 01-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Nobility

I don't care what she wrote to her father, but if the letter was published in full, the letter was given to them by Mr Markle no one else. Maybe she should have met him in person, so this would not be an issue. Spending this much money on Lawyers and Court costs is not worth the effort to keep this private. The ones thrilled about the whole affair are the Attorneys since they get rich over this mess. I may be wrong, but it seems the BRF are the ones who always sue somebody or at least the married in ones. This may not go over well with their fans what I posted, but Oh well. BTW this amount of money could have done a lot of good, with food for the people who really need it, to survive right now. This may put more money into the tabloids pockets, because they can print stories for weeks and people eat it up by the spoon full.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:53 PM
Aristocracy

This is Newsweek, but this is penned by Jack Royston (who's known as "the Sussexes' reporter" other than Scobie).

Prince Harry Says Newspaper Claims Left Marines 'Susceptible to Suicide'
Quote:
Prince Harry's lawyers say a U.K. tabloid "caused huge damage to his reputation," harming his ability to help veterans and leaving them "susceptible to suicide," Newsweek can reveal.
(...)
Prince Harry's lawyers say the "barely researched and one-sided article," caused forces personnel to doubt his commitment.

Their filing goes as far as claiming the military community will be "more susceptible to suicide" because of the impact on his own ability to promote mental health services.
On his twitter he wrote:
https://twitter.com/Jack_Royston/sta...67735511371782
Quote:
Essentially, Prince Harry's court filing argues the military community will be less likely to access the mental health services he seeks to promote because of the damage to his credibility. It centers on claims he did not contact the Marines after Mexit, which he denies. 2/
Quote:
Interestingly, Harry's lawyers say he wasn't given sufficient opportunity to comment "in breach of the most basic of journalistic standards." This comes after he banned his reps from dealing with the MoS and a series of other U.K. newspapers. 3/
Me think, their legal team can word it better to make him sound less arrogant considering he's only in that position for ... 2 years(?)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Majesty

The Fail, which is the UK tabloid referred to, has already acknowledged that it erred by printing that story, and have retracted it, so it appears that they don't agree that it is Harry's arrogance that is at fault, but their own, when they repeated a fake story.

And Harry has a proven record, going back many years, of helping both serving service personnel and ex vets try to deal with their physical and mental health.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The Fail, which is the UK tabloid referred to, has already acknowledged that it erred by printing that story, and have apologised, so it appears that they don't agree that it is Harry's arrogance that is at fault, but their own, when they repeated a fake story.
My problem is the wording:
"Prince Harry's court filing argues the military community will be less likely to access the mental health services he seeks to promote because of the damage to his credibility", and further as stated in the article "harming his ability to help veterans and leaving them "susceptible to suicide".

Doesn't MOD have a mandatory Mental Health programme in place which is independent of Harry's involvement? At least for me, the way their legal team worded their court filling (as above) does make Harry sound arrogant in perceiving his self importance.

But then again, English is not my first language so maybe it's my lack of comprehension.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:57 AM
Serene Highness

I am unsure of the robustness of the MOD Mental Health Programme. But there are many many programmes for mental health in the UK. Been a member of the MOD does not exclude you from using the NHS programme, Samaritan NGO and the dozen of others.
If someone was looking for help - there is a big chance they would have found one.
The article is making the argument that Harry's reputation has now been damaged and that further damages his work on mental health. However any lawyer can argue that Harry's own actions damaged his reputation, reliability and credibility far more then the newspaper article.

It is a very grandiose comment that reminds me of the old saying - Only you can save the world - apparently Harry seems to take that rather literally.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Arrow

I read that article and, being a reasonable adult, decided it was vile rubbish because it referred to the Commander of the Royal Marines being quoted as calling him basically a deserter for leaving. Now a senior officer may think that and probably heaps more, but there is no way in hell he would make any statement whatsoever to the media without it being cleared by the MOD.

There was also reference to veterans saying his abandoning his military positions (stripped of, in truth) would lead to loss of confidence and a rise in suicide attempts. I am not sure if that was in the original article or one referring to it. But it was ugly and I believe they thought they were golden because there was no way Commander of the RM's was to sue them and that Harry's popularity was on the wane so he wouldn't either. They were wrong, Harry did take issue and with just cause.

Having been in the military I am well aware that things and people fall through the cracks and PTSD is a many-tentacled beast and that suicide rates among Veterans throughout the world are far above the average non-military as indeed is the suicide rate of serving personnel.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
This is Newsweek, but this is penned by Jack Royston (who's known as "the Sussexes' reporter" other than Scobie).

Prince Harry Says Newspaper Claims Left Marines 'Susceptible to Suicide'

On his twitter he wrote:
https://twitter.com/Jack_Royston/sta...67735511371782

Me think, their legal team can word it better to make him sound less arrogant considering he's only in that position for ... 2 years(?)
Many, many! thoughts are going through my head about this filing, much of which I can't write down on this forum.
Harry needs to wake up and realize he is not the "see all, be all" he thinks he is. The fact he thinks an article that may ruin his reputation (vs. his own actions- see Deal memorial) and may cause marines to commit suicide (I wasn't aware he has been certified as a psychologist that him leaving can cause his patients to commit suicide- which is sadly something that can happen, rarely but can) ...
how egotistical can one person be?! the marines mental health programs does not rise and fall on the back of Harry's reputation, or Harry himself, in fact they have had a MH program for many years, long before Harry became involved in either MH or with them.

Interesting that according to the article the filing came to a resolve last year, so the DM apologized (which I don't think they should have but whatever) and donated money to IG, yet Roytson is still claiming it is ongoing?! someone give him a compass. And Harry's PR felt the need to have an article written about it.

"One source said that Harry's legal team wanted to make a statement in open court,"
And there you have it, this is why this article exists, so Harry can do his crocodile tears.
Sorry Harry but releasing this filings in an article by your pro Sussex mouthpiece is doing you and your reputation the exact opposite of what you had desired - in fact this is harming you far more than that article did!!- Maybe you should focus on properly supporting the marines rather than another silly lawsuit.
Whoever thought of releasing these papers and writing article? Harry needs to fire that PR person asap.

ETA: does he seriously think this article can have a worse effect on his reputation with soldiers than calling them racist slurs?! than wearing a nazi costume? than missing out on a memorial service to murdered marines in favor of a movie premier to hustle out his wife for a job?!
Old 01-07-2021, 03:53 PM
Commoner

The arrogance here is staggering. He's talking about a bunch of soldiers he's never met, who are dealing with mental health issues as a result of traumatic experiences in combat. And he thinks that he personally is so important to them that his perceived abandonment of that cause is what's going to push them over edge? That's just amazing.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Courtier

He chose to leave for California and has done nothing publicly with the Marines since, whether or not he has technically been in contact with them.

If some personnel were so concerned with Harry's reputation and how it pertains to them seeking help then this particular piece wasn't going to be what decided them. Unless he wants to argue that all unfavourable opinion pieces affect the troops and others who benefit from his patronage should be banned. But frankly he's not that important, even the Queen isn't that important. If he truly thought that he was then maybe he shouldn't have left in the way he did?

It's the height of blind ego and arrogance to think that any of his will affect people's health and mental health, especially when over a dozen UK military charities have been working really hard to reach even long ago ex service men and women in the pandemic and over Christmas (AF Benevolent Fund for example is/was working with Age UK). There are a lot more practical and close to home issues why people are struggling and why they find it difficult to ask for help. His rep isn't one of them.

Mental health is not something that should be used to score points in court or in the press. Either this is blind arrogance and he lives in cuckoo land or this is a particularly nasty disingenuous legal gambit.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Nobility

As someone who works alot with the UK Armed Forces, there are many initiatives re Mental health! Its one of hot tropics which has constantly pushed in the last few years. Harry’s involvement is part of a bigger picture. People do need to be encouraged to speak up and get help but I’m not sure an article in a newspaper that most probably didn’t read or notice would have such a devastating effect. The california sun has gone to his head.