The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
What I find odd is the judge ordering that six months of Meghan's emails, texts etc AFTER the publication of the People article is to be used for DM's defense. Wouldn't communication before the article be useful ? Also , DM is restricted to communication germaine to the case.
are you sure it is 6 months after? I have not seen this being reported, just that access to 6 months has been granted.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

So AP trying to amend their claim the Sussexes were cooperating with Omid and Durand.

https://twitter.com/lizzieitv/status...973224448?s=21

Latest ruling issued today.

Edit:

AP can use the book as ruled.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness

Confused - just wish to clarify . So it was been agreed that the letter to M's dad was written to be published . So publishing it cannot be a breach of copywrite or privacy.

And by this verdict - legally it makes the jump that they cooperated with Finding Freedom which they can use in the rest of the case?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

No. The Mail on Sunday wants to use the book as part of their defense. They were granted the ability but that doesn't really change much in terms of the actual case. They will still have to state their defense just as before. Now their defense is to prove that Harry and Meghan cooperated and in their opinion that gave them the right to publish her letter.

That is for the tiall to determine. Personally I hope this is the last of the pre trial things on all sides.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Aristocracy

Apparently its likely to cost Meghan £1.2 million overall in costs. Good job Netflix came along
Old 09-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Courtier

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...il-Sunday.html

Win, or no win; won't be long before they have something else to moan about!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

I read an article,in which Meghan said she pay's no attention to criticism or flattery, about her, then why complain and sue the papers if tabloids or not. She also said the tabloids wrote nasty things about her in the UK, she received no support from anyone. I must take all of her statements with a huge spoon of salt.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Nobility

The BBC, ITV and The Independent has claimed that The Mail on Sunday can use biography Finding Freedom in a legal battle. The first sentence in The Independent has stated "Meghan Markle has lost her bid to prevent the Mail on Sunday from using the biography Finding Freedom in a legal battle."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54345461
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-29/...mail-on-sunday
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-b695051.html

Camilla Tominey has tweeted out with an attached Telegraph article
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
#DuchessofSussex loses latest legal skirmish over privacy #meghan #MeghanAndHarry
4:02 AM · Sep 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CamillaTominey/s...03345595830274

Link to the Telegraph article:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...egal-skirmish/

Chris Ship (ITV) has also released a series of linked tweets: https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...41221007826944
Old 10-02-2020, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The BBC, ITV and The Independent has claimed that The Mail on Sunday can use biography Finding Freedom in a legal battle. The first sentence in The Independent has stated "Meghan Markle has lost her bid to prevent the Mail on Sunday from using the biography Finding Freedom in a legal battle."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54345461
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-29/...mail-on-sunday
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-b695051.html

Camilla Tominey has tweeted out with an attached Telegraph article
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
#DuchessofSussex loses latest legal skirmish over privacy #meghan #MeghanAndHarry
4:02 AM · Sep 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CamillaTominey/s...03345595830274

Link to the Telegraph article:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...egal-skirmish/

Chris Ship (ITV) has also released a series of linked tweets: https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...41221007826944
Yet more reason why this lawsuit needs to end NOW. She is losing at nearly every step of the way and there is going to come a point where Meghan, Omid, and her friends are all going to be examined under oath. It will not be pretty.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:57 AM
Serene Highness

What IS IT with royal consorts and lawsuits? You would think they would be aware that they will be covered and talked about.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
What IS IT with royal consorts and lawsuits? You would think they would be aware that they will be covered and talked about.

The issue is copyrigght of her letters not being covered.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

I’d be interested to know what the couple’s goals are with the lawsuit. The coverage around it has probably prompted who knows how many thousands of additional people to read the contents of the letter. The pre-trial issues have become news and the media coverage and public interest will only grow if there’s an actual trial. The powers that be at the MoS must think they’ve died and gone to heaven - Meghan and Harry are essentially paying the paper’s bills for as long as public interest remains high. The Mail on Sunday is laughing all the way to the bank no matter who winds up winning in court. There’s a real risk that Meghan, her father, her close friends and people like Omid Scobie could wind up as witnesses being questioned under oath by a no doubt very skilful legal team. Meghan’s lawyers will know that it only takes one person not being completely forthcoming and the whole thing goes up in flames.

The very best they can hope for is a court ruling in their favour and the MoS fined and told to apologize which results in more free publicity for the paper. The tabloid press won’t change its behaviour. The negatives include very bad publicity, possibly losing the lawsuit, lasting damage to their reputations, lost friendships, further family estrangement, and legal repercussions. It’s hard to see how they win here.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:17 AM
Majesty

I think they long since lost the goodwill of hte tabloids, if they ever had it.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Aristocracy

It seems if they could control what is written about them, as long as everything is sugar and spice it would be Ok . Maybe they lost their grip on reality.? Get a life. Always suing, gives the Tabloids reason to write it benefits them, well it also keeps them in the News constantly, maybe this is what they want and need?. It is getting more than boring, at least for me.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe the problem for Harry and Meghan is that they have no understanding of how the media works in the UK. Meghan especially needed an intensive course by a palace media consultant to explain the lay of the land so to speak while she was engaged.
I am sure Meghan felt she understood how the media works but the UK lot are a different beast.
I look at the DM headlines and can usually tell if it is a made up story. What I am interested in is reading the comments from people all over the world.
I don't blame the couple for being upset by the untruths written about them. However, they have to come to terms with the reality that articles written about them garners comments in the thousands. Their little nonsense stories written about them receives huge interest from people everywhere who just want to comment and some vent their frustrations. It doesn't happen much at all with other DM stories.
So click bait is the name of this little game and H & M should have been taught / lectured / had it drummed into them on how to deal with it.
Wasting money on the court system is just wasting money. The thing is they would still remain in the media spotlight without taking the media to court.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I believe the problem for Harry and Meghan is that they have no understanding of how the media works in the UK. Meghan especially needed an intensive course by a palace media consultant to explain the lay of the land so to speak while she was engaged.
I am sure Meghan felt she understood how the media works but the UK lot are a different beast.
I look at the DM headlines and can usually tell if it is a made up story. What I am interested in is reading the comments from people all over the world.
I don't blame the couple for being upset by the untruths written about them. However, they have to come to terms with the reality that articles written about them garners comments in the thousands. Their little nonsense stories written about them receives huge interest from people everywhere who just want to comment and some vent their frustrations. It doesn't happen much at all with other DM stories.
So click bait is the name of this little game and H & M should have been taught / lectured / had it drummed into them on how to deal with it.
Wasting money on the court system is just wasting money. The thing is they would still remain in the media spotlight without taking the media to court.
Well, Meghan had British friends who did understand and told her about them.

And I highly doubt Harry does not know how the British media and royal rota works, and I do not believe for one second the Palace would not have put Meghan through intensive learning on the basics of royal life (including how the media works- they seem to have gently tried to pass on that message when the couple were still dating), whether she chose to listen and internalize it is another matter.

anyway, I don't think Meghan is Media savvy at all. And imo, SS are not an affective PR company, not in the age of social media and of a generation who is now weary and can identify fake PR attempts (like the b2b and school planting).
Old 10-04-2020, 05:19 AM
Administrator

We seem to be having a discussion we've had many times in the past - we are way past the issues concerning how the media should have been handled. In any event, this thread is to discuss the Court Case itself so lets' move on back to that topic.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
We seem to be having a discussion we've had many times in the past - we are way past the issues concerning how the media should have been handled. In any event, this thread is to discuss the Court Case itself so lets' move on back to that topic.
Personally, I'm waiting for the actual judgment on this case before I'll comment on how its going. Both sides can express their "winning" arguments and considering a lot of the "stories" and "information" is coming from one side (the media), I feel its to affect popular opinion.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
So AP trying to amend their claim the Sussexes were cooperating with Omid and Durand.

https://twitter.com/lizzieitv/status...973224448?s=21

Latest ruling issued today.

Edit:

AP can use the book as ruled.
Is there anyone who actually does not believe they did not? How else would he be given all this behind the scenes information? It either came FROM them or she told someone like her MOTHER who told them. But they knew how to get this information out there. They sued everyone but the Omid guy, how predictable right? Meghan had to get her story out there first. [.....]
Old 10-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

The only lawsuits they are in is about copyright and privacy violations. They haven’t sued any authors or papers over stories, no matter how many times this has been claimed.