The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
If they give evidence then they will be named. As is what happens when the court case does not involve minors or vulnerable people. If they dont, then probably there is no need to say anything.

This isn't a privacy concern. it is judicial and legal and as a result of the need for justice to be seen to be done, transcripts are public documents. Unless sealed by the courts. Which can happen particularly when minors are involved.

And I would reject Meghans call to sensitivity. Don't start the court case then.
Here in America, documents are often redacted on publicly available documents that contain sensitive information (such as loan #, SS#, etc...). Only names of minors are redacted ...so, it seems we have a similar procedure as in Ireland. I don’t find it appalling, I find it very open - that’s how trials should be. Meghan is the one who filed this lawsuit - she’s the only one responsible if her “friends” names leak.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Aristocracy

I've always had a feeling that the letter was written with an assumption (or maybe even hope?) it might become public. It dosen't give too many personal details, but carefully lists all that Meghan's done for her father.
I wouldn't be surprised if M prompted her friends to talk about the letter when Thomas Markle obviously didn't.
Maybe she wanted the world to know that she cares for her father. Or maybe she wanted a "good" reason to go to court...

Old 07-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Commoner

I agree RoyalNight. I think she always expected either details of the contents of the letter, or the full letter itself to be released. I don't for a moment believe that 5 individuals all dared go behind her back to speak to the media without either her direct consent, or at least a wink wink nudge nudge situation. Even her unofficial spokesperson Omid was interviewed where he said she wrote it expecting the contents to be made public and would have written it with that in mind. "So many of the things in that letter were written with the public in mind. She very much wanted to set the record straight".
Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Majesty

But isnt she saying that she didn't ask her friends to release the letter?
Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I've always had a feeling that the letter was written with an assumption (or maybe even hope?) it might become public. It dosen't give too many personal details, but carefully lists all that Meghan's done for her father.
I wouldn't be surprised if M prompted her friends to talk about the letter when Thomas Markle obviously didn't.
Maybe she wanted the world to know that she cares for her father. Or maybe she wanted a "good" reason to go to court...
Of course it was, that much has been obvious almost from the start.
Just as I don’t buy that Meghan did not give the okay for her friends to speak to People.
She and Harry berated her father for talking to the press, and then cut him out completely. But her friends do the same and.. she protects them?
Both went against palace recommendation to **** the hell ip, yet one gets dragged and the others are protected!!
Naaa, I say publish their names.

Meghan is blaming MOS for dragging the case, yet she is the one who keeps tagging on unneeded info.
This should have been a straight forward case, yet Meghan seems to be unable to let it be what it should be.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Here in America, documents are often redacted on publicly available documents that contain sensitive information (such as loan #, SS#, etc...). Only names of minors are redacted ...so, it seems we have a similar procedure as in Ireland. I don’t find it appalling, I find it very open - that’s how trials should be. Meghan is the one who filed this lawsuit - she’s the only one responsible if her “friends” names leak.
I think I meant that it is an appalling situation to go through. I believe that all courts should be transparent.

The UK and Irish system do vary somewhat in this. I know there are differences in naming people in court cases and I believe the Irish case is much stricter when it comes to woman and rape cases for example.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Commoner

Yes she is Denville. Wouldn't be much of a case if she didn't.
Imo, this is all a way to 'get back' at the media. Both H+M are clearly angry (I even agree with them in some cases), but they are now trying to throw anything and everything at the court case because they want the press to 'pay' for their crimes.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But isnt she saying that she didn't ask her friends to release the letter?
She is. And hence the fact that they will in all likelihood be called. Because its game set and match if the defence can make that a reasonable assumption.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I think I meant that it is an appalling situation to go through. I believe that all courts should be transparent.

The UK and Irish system do vary somewhat in this. I know there are differences in naming people in court cases and I believe the Irish case is much stricter when it comes to woman and rape cases for example.

Got it..I agree, especially if these friends have kept quiet and been “good soldiers”
Old 07-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan gave the names of the friends through confidential filing as required. Identities if part of the process are revealed at trial. Revealing before a trial date reeks of witness intimidation by DM: drop the suit Meghan or we'll destroy your friends. By stating the friends are private citizens which may means it's not Serena Williams or Jessica Mulroney. I thought Dad was DM's star witness...or did DM found him wanting and a problem in the witness box?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Meghan gave the names of the friends through confidential filing as required. Identities if part of the process are revealed at trial. Revealing before a trial date reeks of witness intimidation by DM: drop the suit Meghan or we'll destroy your friends. By stating the friends are private citizens which may means it's not Serena Williams or Jessica Mulroney. I thought Dad was DM's star witness...or did DM found him wanting and a problem in the witness box?
That is not at all what has happened. The mail have refused to settle out of court. They are gung ho for this.

This is not about their names being released early but about their names being released as a part of the court case, and the very real possibility they will be required to give evidence.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Courtier

A couple people have used the phrase witness intimidation, which is a legal term of art. That is one bold and, given what we know, frankly bizarre claim.

Private citizen is, again, a legal term of art. Serena Williams and Jessica Mulroney are both private citizens.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

If she did/did not give the 5 friends permission to speak to People Magazine; is that highly important?

Also if Jessica M refuses to give evidence; can the court may her do so?

And if Jessica M refuses to give evidence how does this affect the outcome?

I thought the problem was with Meghan and her father?
Old 07-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Interesting development...

The original twitter "reporting" seems to indicate that MoS told Meghan that they would publish the names unless she took this action. So, it seems that they are just goading her at this point.

Meghan filed the lawsuit in the expectation that this would be quickly settled for a large sum and generate oodles of positive PR for her. The MoS, having played this rodeo many a times, knew that win or loose that could make a boatload of money off this. So, they went to court. It seems that Meghan tried to drop the case but the MoS would not let her. So, now she's stuck in this mess of her own making with no way out.

This case, along with other factors, is having a negative impact on her "brand". That is why she is listing out all of her grievances, hoping that some of the "woe is me" resonates with public in a positive manner-- helping her "brand".

At this point, I seriously think that Harry is not the only one with mental health issues.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
A couple people have used the phrase witness intimidation, which is a legal term of art. That is one bold and, given what we know, frankly bizarre claim.

Private citizen is, again, a legal term of art. Serena Williams and Jessica Mulroney are both private citizens.
This implies that Meghan and her team expect the 5 to be called as witnesses
Old 07-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

On Omid Scobie's Twitter. DM lawyers went to Meghan's lawyers about the five friends, wanting to publish their names, although those names were given under seal. Meghan's lawyers were given three days to respond in court. It's 50-50 at this point and I think her lawyers are going to take down her father.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Interesting development...

The original twitter "reporting" seems to indicate that MoS told Meghan that they would publish the names unless she took this action. So, it seems that they are just goading her at this point.

Meghan filed the lawsuit in the expectation that this would be quickly settled for a large sum and generate oodles of positive PR for her. The MoS, having played this rodeo many a times, knew that win or loose that could make a boatload of money off this. So, they went to court. It seems that Meghan tried to drop the case but the MoS would not let her. So, now she's stuck in this mess of her own making with no way out.

This case, along with other factors, is having a negative impact on her "brand". That is why she is listing out all of her grievances, hoping that some of the "woe is me" resonates with public in a positive manner-- helping her "brand".

At this point, I seriously think that Harry is not the only one with mental health issues.
I feel like that's how most of the things they've done in the past 9 months or so have turned out for them. They try to present the "woe is me/look how difficult I have it" angle (the Africa interview immediately comes to mind) hoping to garner sympathy, but instead they make themselves come off as whiny and entitled and/or, as in this case, embroil themselves further into the mess. I feel like it's nothing but consistent drama with them and their friends and associates.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
On Omid Scobie's Twitter. DM lawyers went to Meghan's lawyers about the five friends, wanting to publish their names, although those names were given under seal. Meghan's lawyers were given three days to respond in court. It's 50-50 at this point and I think her lawyers are going to take down her father.
What you're implying here- that the DM is attempting to publish information it obtained under seal- is just not accurate.

The DM- and the rest of the watching world- already had this information. In addition to the DM, and anyone else who cared to piece it together, already knowing the identifies of these individuals, they were recently named under seal.

When the DM saw that they were named under seal rather than named openly, this signaled to the DM that Meghan's lawyers were proceeding under the assumption that the names were going to remain private, an assumption it did not share. DM approached Meghan's lawyers and said, "We consider these names fair game and, because you filed them under seal, we see you do not. This is a warning that we see this as a public information. If you don't respond in three days, we're assuming you agree it's public and we have a right to print at any time. If you do respond, we will let the court decide whether we can print if and when we choose."
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I feel like that's how most of the things they've done in the past 9 months or so have turned out for them. They try to present the "woe is me/look how difficult I have it" angle (the Africa interview immediately comes to mind) hoping to garner sympathy, but instead they make themselves come off as whiny and entitled and/or, as in this case, embroil themselves further into the mess. I feel like it's nothing but consistent drama with them and their friends and associates.
TBH, that is what they were hoping for. They need the consistent drama to stay in the news for their "brand". It's just they expected a lot of sympathy/positive press that has not yet materialized.
Royal Highness

Very sad - I am worried about who these friends are. Meghan is very adamant to defend these friends - with not announcing the godparent list and with this. Make me wonder if there is something they don't want getting out here.
It would really be funny if there were members of the royal family on the list.

Closed Thread