The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1221  
Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,756
More news outlets are picking this story up. As you read you find Meghan's lawyers are specifically going after Kensington Palace Comm team for her handling the negative press. In the Bylines Investigates story Harry's lawyers stated a KP' staffer's friend leaked details of the Sussexes' step back as senior royals to Dan Wooten of the Sun for cash. If there is a beef between House Sussex and House Cambridge it may spill out at trial. Also, more details are scheduled regarding Dad. I think Meghan has decided to come for her father.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1222  
Old 07-02-2020, 02:43 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
More news outlets are picking this story up. As you read you find Meghan's lawyers are specifically going after Kensington Palace Comm team for her handling the negative press. In the Bylines Investigates story Harry's lawyers stated a KP' staffer's friend leaked details of the Sussexes' step back as senior royals to Dan Wooten of the Sun for cash. If there is a beef between House Sussex and House Cambridge it may spill out at trial. Also, more details are scheduled regarding Dad. I think Meghan has decided to come for her father.
But what does all this have to do with copyright claim that this lawsuit is about?She is suing for the letter she wrote to her dad nothing else..
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1223  
Old 07-02-2020, 03:08 AM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
It's a very different fact pattern here. In the Burrell case there was a clear gap in information where The Queen could intervene that would turn the tide of the point of the prosecution pursuing him.

In this case, this lawsuit is wholly Harry and Meghan's invention. They chose to instigate this litigation and they chose to conduct this litigation as they have. There is nowhere for The Queen to intervene. They are on their own.

Good to hear Lord Royal.

If the Duke and Duchess of Sussex choose to put their heads in a noose, I will be glad if the Royal Family lets them find their own way out of it.

(Enjoying your posts on the more legal aspects of this.)
Reply With Quote
  #1224  
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 AM
Claire's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,332
I really dont think this court case has anything to do with anything really. I feel that it is just so that Meghan and Harry have something to point to when people ask them why they didnt do anything about their horrid situation in England. They can say we did - here look. It is all visuals at the moment - I doubt there is any substance here.
And way you look at this the message that they are making certain you hear is - I was bullied and my mental health suffered while I was pregnant and the people who were supposed to help didnt. That is the message M & H's PR people are drumming.
Reply With Quote
  #1225  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 819
A few weeks ago, this wouldn't have attracted any interest, but everyone's so sick of coronavirus that the press are glad to have something else to talk about. It's just making Harry and Meghan even more unpopular, at a time at which William and Kate, in particular, are doing such a good job at a difficult time. And I'm sure Beatrice and Eugenie are fuming about their names being dragged into something that's got nothing to do with them.
Reply With Quote
  #1226  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:33 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Don't be so sure..especially now that they brought other members of the family into their none sense. The crown will not bend over for the 6th in line and his wife. The Crown must win and it will win.. In the 90s nobody thought the queen would call for the divorce of Charles and Diana but she did and they didn't expect her to take away Dianas HRH but she did.
Thatís true...HM and Charles didnít give in to H and M in January, and they wonít give in now. I donít know what they can do, though, as they are not going to get involved in a tawdry lawsuit.
Reply With Quote
  #1227  
Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Thatís true...HM and Charles didnít give in to H and M in January, and they wonít give in now. I donít know what they can do, though, as they are not going to get involved in a tawdry lawsuit.
They won't get involved.Paul B was a different case and they risked being embarrassed by it anyway. They have nothing to fear from this. If they are talking about a friend of a partner of KP staff leaked the leaving for Canada story well then that is ridiculous. Happens all the time that kind of thing. I would point to the girlfriend of JK a Rowling lawyer leaking her identity as the Strike novelist.

The Crown wins. The Queen would throw herself under a bus if it would safe the Crown. Charles may continue, and probably will, to support Harry. William may too, but George won't even know him that well and may only do so as a favour to his father. But he will have the rest of the family to support then too. So we will see. Harry will fade away as time goes on and this transition period fades. The Cambridges will get bigger, Eugenie and Bea will have their own families (if that is what they want) and it's the natural epping and flow of life. When your not there, you aren't there. The next generation won't even be aware William had a brother. Until they watch the Crown probably. A lot of people don't know the Queen had 4 kids.
Reply With Quote
  #1228  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:13 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 219
I sort of assume that Harry and Meghan thought the tabloids they sued would just settle quickly out of court , especially because they announced all of this after the Africa tour and the infamous interview which was supposed to get them into a place of being seen as victims of the press by the general public who would be on their side . Instead the interview had the opposite effect and no matter what, those tabloids saw it as a win win situation for them and now the Sussexes are stuck in this litigation .

I just wish they would get new advisers or listen to the ones they've got .
Reply With Quote
  #1229  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:28 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 904
Even in Hollywood most PR firms/managers would advise people to say "no comment" to a lot of trash gossip stories or other issues, lest their clients be dragged into something that becomes a worse mess after that or a "he said/she said" issue. It's not just a KP thing.
Reply With Quote
  #1230  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:43 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
They won't get involved.Paul B was a different case and they risked being embarrassed by it anyway. They have nothing to fear from this. If they are talking about a friend of a partner of KP staff leaked the leaving for Canada story well then that is ridiculous. Happens all the time that kind of thing. I would point to the girlfriend of JK a Rowling lawyer leaking her identity as the Strike novelist.

The Crown wins. The Queen would throw herself under a bus if it would safe the Crown. Charles may continue, and probably will, to support Harry. William may too, but George won't even know him that well and may only do so as a favour to his father. But he will have the rest of the family to support then too. So we will see. Harry will fade away as time goes on and this transition period fades. The Cambridges will get bigger, Eugenie and Bea will have their own families (if that is what they want) and it's the natural epping and flow of life. When your not there, you aren't there. The next generation won't even be aware William had a brother. Until they watch the Crown probably. A lot of people don't know the Queen had 4 kids.
Oh, Iím not worried about the BRF. They have handled themselves brilliantly during this time, and I am confident that the general public sides with them with regards to how Megxit went down. H and M have conducted themselves childishly, to put it mildly.

I agree with you that H will fade away with time...not because heís physically separated (lots of families are, and they are still close), but because heís seemingly emotionally separated himself from his family. Letís assume he is close to his father ...heís still finding his way with his brother, and like you said, heís not going to know his niece and nephews well. George is going to grow up with the knowledge that he has a duty to protect the monarchy, and I just wonder what stories heíll be told about his uncle ...his aunt as well.
Reply With Quote
  #1231  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Also Beatrice and Eugenie work for a Gallery and technology company. They aren't planning on launching their own "brand" and wanting to earn money through their names, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt their careers in many ways.

.
I cant' believe they seem to be taking this tack but I suppose we'll see when the case comes to court, if the reports are accurate. But can they honestly, can Harry honestly believe that he and Meghan are the same as Beatrice or Princess Michael? Does he not realise that the reason the queen did put a stop to Edward and Sophie's business activities was that they weren't working out well and the 2 were too close to the Crown.. so they had to behave in a certain way. Business for a full or part time working royal is a no no. He and Meg were meant to be full time royals. That means there are restrictions on what they can do and one of the things they can't do is earn a "professional income" or participate in big scale business activities.
Meg may honestly not realise this fully, I dont like her but Im trying to cut her some slack.. as she was new to England and the RF.. but Harry? He must know.
Reply With Quote
  #1232  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:56 AM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
I sort of assume that Harry and Meghan thought the tabloids they sued would just settle quickly out of court , especially because they announced all of this after the Africa tour and the infamous interview which was supposed to get them into a place of being seen as victims of the press by the general public who would be on their side . Instead the interview had the opposite effect and no matter what, those tabloids saw it as a win win situation for them and now the Sussexes are stuck in this litigation .

I just wish they would get new advisers or listen to the ones they've got .
As far as I know Harry and Meghan tried to settle. They went to court because the Daily Mail and co. refused to settle. They had to announce the court case after the Africa tour due to timing. It had nothing to do with the tour or the interview.
Reply With Quote
  #1233  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:26 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,076
It all seems to lack grace and dignity, and I cannot see this doing much for family relations. A real pity!
Reply With Quote
  #1234  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It all seems to lack grace and dignity, and I cannot see this doing much for family relations. A real pity!
Legal action taken by any member of the BRF is usually messy. Charles action trying to protect the contents of his infamous "Spider Letters" was, if you remember, a tabloid buffet where they made all sorts of claims of political pressure being exerted by him.

Politicians and senior public service members were against the release of said letters, not because they were political but rather that they were not and exposed the moral fibre of their recipients. The press won the court case but the government amended the law to ensure that it could never happen again.

You may wonder why I reference Charles court action but every time members of the BRF engage the court, precedents are set and I believe this will be no different further defining what is private and what is not.
Reply With Quote
  #1235  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Legal action taken by any member of the BRF is usually messy. Charles action trying to protect the contents of his infamous "Spider Letters" was, if you remember, a tabloid buffet where they made all sorts of claims of political pressure being exerted by him.

Politicians and senior public service members were against the release of said letters, not because they were political but rather that they were not and exposed the moral fibre of their recipients. The press won the court case but the government amended the law to ensure that it could never happen again.

You may wonder why I reference Charles court action but every time members of the BRF engage the court, precedents are set and I believe this will be no different further defining what is private and what is not.
Well reasoned post of the type we do not see often enough, IMO

That said, I think the situation around the lawsuit involving Charles was different. The resulting press commentary from that litigation actually worked to Charles' advantage when the released docs showed he really did not veer into the political arena, despite the narrative being put out, and that he realy didcare about the causes he supported.

In this case, I see no upside for H&M. It will just bring all sorts of allegations (eg, Meghan feeling unsupported in the royal institution) in the public domain that need not, and has the potential for deepening family discord and creating an unnecessary headache for The Firm.
Reply With Quote
  #1236  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I really dont think this court case has anything to do with anything really. I feel that it is just so that Meghan and Harry have something to point to when people ask them why they didnt do anything about their horrid situation in England. They can say we did - here look. It is all visuals at the moment - I doubt there is any substance here.
And way you look at this the message that they are making certain you hear is - I was bullied and my mental health suffered while I was pregnant and the people who were supposed to help didnt. That is the message M & H's PR people are drumming.



I am not sure if their legal team's strategy of bringing up completely unrelated issues and facts into the court proceedings is the most effective one in terms of their prospect of success in the lawsuit. But maybe, at this point, a favorable decision from the court is less important to the Sussexes than making a statement and lashing out at certain people.
Reply With Quote
  #1237  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,258
this story was today front page of all serious media outlets:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53258761
https://news.sky.com/story/meghan-fe...eveal-12019251

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It all seems to lack grace and dignity, and I cannot see this doing much for family relations. A real pity!
Quote:
I’ve stayed out of the online debates surrounding this couple due to the extreme elements found on both sides but my god could Meghan have possibly sounded any more entitled and out of touch in the arguments presented by her legal team.
distasteful move, with indeed lack of grace and dignity. she is showing their true colours, acting as a spoilt, arrogant person, who is oblivious about her privileged life. it is hard to take her (and him) seriously any longer. when you think things cannot be further messed up, they just keep doing it.

dragging the RF, beatrice, eugenie and princess michael onto this shows:

- a lack of class that in unbelievable
- a lack of understanding of the institution they operate within - as explained by a poster that 'none of them receive funding from the Sovereign Grant or represent the Queen in any formal way'
- childishness. it sounds like a playground fight ('he did it too! why doesn't he also get punished?')

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
And she doesn't get it. The wedding is supposed to bring in money. That is why you got a beautiful home, expensive clothes.
she really doesn't get it. my guess is that she never did. she behaves as royal as if she were a kardashian.

let's face it - these two aren't popular in the UK. they may have been at one time, but are no longer so because of the circus they mount and their egocentrism.

there's a reason why 'keep calm and carry on' is a very british saying. it is embedded in how they behave and think. these two are definitely not keeping calm or carrying on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
In my assessment, this is an extremely poorly formulated lawsuit and I can only imagine that Meghan is ignoring legal advice by pressing ahead. What she is attempting to do is in contrast to established privacy law cases, and is still trying to have her cake and eat it too by not fully disclosing all material facts.
i think she is ignoring legal advice. it wouldn't be the first time she ignores the advice of others, and those also went spectacularly wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phss View Post
So which is it?
Meg WANTED her family/friends to be able to speak out (she's saying she's upset Kensington Palace told them to say "No comment")
or
Meg DIDN'T want them to speak out (She wrote to her Dad because she was angry he didn't say "No comment")

She's mad because her dad DID speak and mad because her friends 'COULDN"T...
She cuts her Dad out of her life (and Archie's life) because he spoke... but DIDN'T cut the 5 friends out of her life when they spoke...

Basically as long as she can control exactly what you say she's cool with it

Makes the whole 'I didn't know they spoke' angle seem pretty ridiculous to me
it is totally bizarre. 'meghan felt unprotected by the RF and wanted her/someone to speak out to defend her but kensington said no. then the friends spoke out but actually they shouldn't have spoken out and she wouldn't have let them speak out had she known because she didn't know they'd be speaking out about the letter they shouldn't have spoken out about'

on other note, there's now way the friends wouldn't have consulted her about speaking out to the press. why would they volunteer their comments to them? and it so happened that the 5 of them, at the same time, decided to speak to the press? meghan instructed them to do so. it is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
It appears that Meghan is using this action to air out all her grievances with the tabloids. She may view this as her opportunity to give her version of events but she’s going to burn some powerful bridges if she’s not careful - they have chosen as a couple to base themselves in a fickle world where their appeal and power is derived from Harry’s connections. If he’s publicly cutoff from those connections his worth and therefor THEIR worth to those people is going to diminish pretty quickly.
i'm surprised she (they) don't understand that going against the RF isn't a wise move.
and the issue on their worth as 'private individuals' has been long discussed indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think it was Prince Michael who was mentioned in the documents not his wife but, either way, the whole thing is very distasteful. Why on Earth did Prince Harry allow other family members to be dragged into him and Meghan's fight with the papers? I think the Queen will be livid.
yes. HM has every reason to be livid, i'd be. as i said before, i'm not sure why harry isn't stepping up to this nonsense.
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nationís largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
Reply With Quote
  #1238  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
yes. HM has every reason to be livid, i'd be. as i said before, i'm not sure why harry isn't stepping up to this nonsense.
In recent years, in my view, Harry appears to not have displayed good judgement on a number of occassions. This is just another one of them, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #1239  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,639
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but all this lawsuit over the copyright infringement came about just at the time things were heating up for Harry and Meghan and, at that time, they also decided to take a six week "break" and retreated to Canada for said break. At that time, they most likely were hatching their plan to go forward with the half and half measures they first presented. We all know what happened the following January.

This is just my opinion but I believe they would have been wiser to just forge ahead with their plans and let the cards fall where they may and scrap any lawsuits they were thinking of. If the plan was to forge a new life, new way of doing things and change things up completely, having these lawsuits over their heads and the convoluted mess its created, is totally detrimental to going forward. Its constantly keeping every little, ugly tidbit about "wrongs" and "biases" and "mistreatment" alive and well and some would say that now, its even growing bigger and badder and flashing neon lights on a whole lot of trivial things that have grown into mountains of wrongs.

How can one successfully and with conviction head into a bright future when they're dragging all the baggage that besieged them over the past three years with them? I think it may have been wiser to just go for the "new life" angle, make a clean break and forge ahead. No matter how adamant Meghan may feel that she has a good case in court, this lawsuit is amplifying those wrongs and instead of being vindicated, the couple are now exposed to everything and anything being served up all over again with special sauce to make it more palatable to the public to consume. Its not doing them any favors at all.

This lawsuit is just adding spices and gusto to something that cannot be changed. What happened, happened. To keep it alive and served up fresh and new with each report the press can latch onto, in a way, Meghan is fanning the flames for the exact same treatment that she thought going to court would put a stop to.

Sometimes people are their own worse enemies.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #1240  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:29 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In recent years, in my view, Harry appears to not have displayed good judgement on a number of occassions. This is just another one of them, IMO.

The way I see it Harry was having trouble coming into terms with his "new status" in the Family after William got married (on top of his previous issues from his troubled childhood and teenage years). Then Meghan came along (after Harry had already been rejected by other women who opted out of a possible royal life) and, instead of providing him with much needed stability (as many posters here expected) , she actually made things worse causing further strains with the Cambridges and perhaps even the PoW. Harry and Meghan plotted their exit then and didn't get the response they expected from the RF, the British government and the Canadians, and were not as succesful as they believed they would be in lauching their "brand", which, as of now, hasn't really taken off. That made them even more frustated and more likely to react in anger.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication anastasia archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism bridal gown british royal family british royals chittagong commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy dna doge of venice doll dubai duke of sussex facts family life fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf hill historical drama history intro italian royal family jack brooksbank japan jewellery king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers mail mary: crown princess of denmark meghan markle nepalese royal jewels northern ireland norway plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince dimitri princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak queen consort queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon speech suthida taiwan tips tracts tradition uae customs united states of america unsubscribe wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×