Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But its not to do with the case is it because the case is about (as far as I know)whether the Maial breached the law in publishing the letter. That has nothing to do with whether T Markle paid her tuition fees or whether she felt that BP didn't protect her from negative presss...

Law suits like this are about reputations. Basically she is taking on the whole kitchen sink. Leave her at it.

Ultimately there is only one reputation on the line hers. Despite what she may thinks. Won't touch the royals. Won't touch the media. Won't touch her father. She is taking on all those untruths that have been written about her. Stamping her foot and wailing life is fair. No one will care. Well they will. They will care about whether she got these friends to give an interview.

If Markle got a student loan for Meghan it would be on his federal income tax return at the time, listed as a deduction or tax credit depending on the tax code. Also if he had lottery winnings to pay for university he would had to pay federal income tax on it. If he won and it's not on the tax return Markle has some explaining to do.

And it is about reputation. DM is banking its case on Markle who already has credibility problems with Pap gate. A skilled lawyer can take him down.

Last edited:
If Markle got a student loan for Meghan it would be on his federal income tax return at the time, listed as a deduction or tax credit depending on the tax code. Also if he had lottery winnings to pay for university he would had to pay federal income tax on it. If he won and it's not on the tax return Markle has some explaining to do.

And it is about reputation. DM is banking its case on Markle who already has credibility problems with Pap gate. A skilled lawyer can take him down.

Well the defence are going to try and show she lies. We all lie.

surely if Meghan paid it, herself via a student loan, it would be easy for her to prove it? TM is an old guy, and seems disorganized, I doubt if he has receipts for payments he made years ago...

You might say we all lie at times but to lie under oath in a court is altogether different. There you MUST admit to your lie if proven. This particular court case is only about the "letter" and 5 friends that leaked it. If a strict judge is on the bench, that will be the only thing entered. Everything else dismissed. No race problem, Royal Family not helping, media hating her....nothin else but the letter as was in the original papers. We will see what kind of back bone the judge has and if the law is followed. Judge already refused a few added things her attorney wants place into case. They can always file another case on other topics later. This stuff happens all the time and a judge should not allow after original case is granted. Happens in the office constantly. JMO

surely if Meghan paid it, herself via a student loan, it would be easy for her to prove it? TM is an old guy, and seems disorganized, I doubt if he has receipts for payments he made years ago...

The newspaper will sort out all his paperwork. He may not have receipts but the other side will and where money came from etc.

I wouldn't worry. It she has bare faced lies about things they will find the evidence.

She never claimed to pay for it herself though.

You might say we all lie at times but to lie under oath in a court is altogether different. There you MUST admit to your lie if proven. This particular court case is only about the "letter" and 5 friends that leaked it. If a strict judge is on the bench, that will be the only thing entered. Everything else dismissed. No race problem, Royal Family not helping, media hating her....nothin else but the letter as was in the original papers. We will see what kind of back bone the judge has and if the law is followed. Judge already refused a few added things her attorney wants place into case. They can always file another case on other topics later. This stuff happens all the time and a judge should not allow after original case is granted. Happens in the office constantly. JMO

Things will change day by day. Even when the court case starts. Although for the defence. To show she lies is to be part of the case and relevant. Because then she could be lying about the five friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both sides will go after each other. That is expected. And both sides are well aware of it hence why neither wants to settle.

Both sides will go after each other. That is expected. And both sides are well aware of it.

Not quite true. She wont go after them. It is to show what they said was wrong. Not attack them. They will attack her.

I think that things have been muddied since the beginning. Meghan, the claimant did not limit things to the publication of the letter, the statement by her legal spokesperson mentioned that publication of the letter was part of a campaign against Meghan and Harry and that proceedings were being initiated to redress the copyright infringement and the media agenda.

Regarding lottery winnings being used to fund Meghan's education that I mentioned in a previous post, I did a web search and that happened in the early 90s when Meghan was a child, so the tuition that was funded was not college tuition but private school tuition.

I'm thinking more and more that I really wish there would have been some kind of gag order on both parties against disclosing any kind of information from the lawsuit itself to the public. It *was* mentioned that its the prosecuting lawyer's belief that the MoS is using this lawsuit to generate articles about the lawsuit which does make them using it for a profitable advantage.

I'm thinking more and more that I really wish there would have been some kind of gag order on both parties against disclosing any kind of information from the lawsuit itself to the public. It *was* mentioned that its the prosecuting lawyer's belief that the MoS is using this lawsuit to generate articles about the lawsuit which does make them using it for a profitable advantage.

Course they are.

And it has been stated before that a. The information comes from publically available court documents. 2. There is no gagging order as vulnerable people are not at risk.

She brought the court case. You can't go around claiming the prosecuted (an odd word to use for that filth) are now profiting from it. You brought it up.

Last edited:

i can't see what lawsuit can relate to the issues she's brought up, though. Is she going to sue her father over the issue of his paying for her tuition? Or is she going to bring a suit against BP press office for not protecting her? and these things have nothing to do with the copyright issues so I can't see a Judge allowing them when the case gets going.

And do we know when the court case is to start? As in the trial itself.

Court is a blood and money bath. I had a squatter on my property starting Oct. 2018 and I am still in court over it. Every month I take my lawyer $1,000 and still owe him money.
In the USA you cannot subpoena tax returns for court proceedings.

Court is a blood and money bath. I had a squatter on my property starting Oct. 2018 and I am still in court over it. Every month I take my lawyer $1,000 and still owe him money.
In the USA you cannot subpoena tax returns for court proceedings.

Wonder who is paying the fees. If the win it will be fine. But if they loose. That is going to be huge.

Of course the MOS is using it to make money. There is no gag order possible otherwise her lawyers would have already asked for it.

I don’t believe that there are any student loans involved because in most cases the student is responsible for the loan as well. Meghan could have already proved that existence of student loans esp. ones that she has to pay back.

Meghan is trying to claim that the MOS “ruined” her relationship with her dad. It is a fair question to ask then: Why did Harry never meet her father? It’s not like she can claim that she and Harry did not have the financial means to meet up with him.

Meghan is trying to claim that the MOS “ruined” her relationship with her dad. It is a fair question to ask then: Why did Harry never meet her father? It’s not like she can claim that she and Harry did not have the financial means to meet up with him.

That is something that has always niggled with me. There was a period before the relationship became public knowledge that they could have met , if that was too soon, then before the engagement was announced. Dora attended the Invictus games with Meghan, they could have taken her father there as well. Maybe even met in a hotel away from the press and tv coverage. So like you I agree that this could be a fair question to ask.

I'm sadly not surprised the situation with Meghan and Thomas Markle has come to this. :sad:

Perhaps Markle never liked Harry from the very beginning for whatever reason. When Dad complained Harry never asked for Meghan's hand it may have been ongoing problems to accept the relationship. At 36 at the time she did not need her father's consent; Harry and Meghan needed the queen's as required. Markle's ego may have been bruised because Meghan was marrying way up and couldn't compete in his mind. It 's no excuse for his behavior. Markle made it public with interviews; nobody forced him.

More details on the financial aid: in court papers Doria help pay for Northwestern and she received scholarships and work study

https://www-marieclaire-com.cdn.amp...-claim-that-she-never-helped-him-financially/

If Meghan's lawyers can back it up with documents especially from the school it blows up Markle's claims that he paid 100% of Meghan's tuition.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that as far as this case goes, Markle is very much being played like a pawn in the game. His actions in the past haven't been stellar at all and through it all, I got the feeling that the man isn't the brightest crayon in the box. Both sides are bringing him into this mess and I wouldn't be surprised if the man is seriously conflicted about it all. Kind of in a Mr. Magoo way. Its kind of sad.

The judge already ruled that Meghan can't argue the press is manipulating Dad. Apparently she is arguing the is manipulating facts as she sees them but it still means indicting her father.

Please note that several posts have been deleted as insulting and speculative.

Any and all off topic, unsubstantiated, insulting posts will be deleted without notice.

Last edited:
Do we know what the key next step in the legal process is?

Today we find that the Sussex's are suing an unknown pap for sending a drone over their LA property and filming baby Archie. The as-yet unnamed pap is passing word that the child was filmed outside the property, somewhere in Malibu.

IMHO all of this litigation that H & M are taking on has the potential to drown out anything they undertake as far as their stated goals of using their platform to address racial inequality and gender discrimination and poverty. Since most of their outreach must be online now, and they tend to use a blank wall as a backdrop, it's not very exciting compared to the litigation stories. They have to tamp down their outrage over pap/tabloid stuff. Their outrage is what is selling the papers and getting clicks, not feeble uninformed lectures about the Commonwealth.

Meghan has the opportunity to do some interesting high-profile roundtables or interview, all in line with Covid regs.. Henry Louis Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Meghan doing a super-duper "Who Do You Think You Are?" for instance.

Harry's well-documented support of injured ex-servicemen could be a boon to fundraising for needy vets if he did a series of interviews with vets who served in forward areas, or families of those who did not come back. Covid regs would not get in the way of this.

These are just examples, but you can all see that heightened litigation over baby pictures and befuddled fathers in Mexico will only distract from their plans and projects. They have to man up.

I don't see how they're going to avoid the paps. They left the protection of the royal family and moved to pap central. They probably would have done better to stay in Canada.

I don't see how they're going to avoid the paps. They left the protection of the royal family and moved to pap central. They probably would have done better to stay in Canada.

It's not about avoiding the paps and tabs. It's about not starting litigation against the very entities they need.

I wish I could get a job with Harry and Meghan's lawyers! They must be making a fortune. If someone's been taking photos of Archie, then they're quite right to be angry, but it does feel like all they do these days is sue people.

I can think of another place they could have stayed, that would given them a little more prtotection against the papparazzi.

It's about not starting litigation against the very entities they need.

I wondered if the couple realise they could well end up spending vast sums of Harry's inheritance from his family on all this litigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could get a job with Harry and Meghan's lawyers! They must be making a fortune. If someone's been taking photos of Archie, then they're quite right to be angry, but it does feel like all they do these days is sue people.

Yes it does feel that way, but flying drones over people's houses, cutting holes in fences and taking photo's of people in their homes is illegal in California. So I really hope they win. Sometimes paparazzi really need to be shown how far they can go, not all of them seem capable if figuring it out on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom