The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #841  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:35 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,161
Is it correct that in the USA the recipient of a letter is the owner. ?

It appears in the uk it is the writer who is the owner, I have been born and bred in the UK and didn't realise that, to be honest I have had no reason to be aware of it.

Just wondered if that changes the argument re the published letter.
__________________

  #842  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Is it correct that in the USA the recipient of a letter is the owner. ?

It appears in the uk it is the writer who is the owner, I have been born and bred in the UK and didn't realise that, to be honest I have had no reason to be aware of it.

Just wondered if that changes the argument re the published letter.
The recipient owns the letter (physical property) but not the copyright (intellectual property).

For example, I own the books in my possession but not the copyright. The authors do.

So if I receive a letter (or a book) I may keep it, destroy it, or even give it away, but I can't publish it or make copies.

Thomas Markle can show Meghan's original letters to the media but he can't send them copies he has made or publish them. And neither can the media.
__________________

  #843  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
The recipient owns the letter (physical property) but not the copyright (intellectual property).

For example, I own the books in my possession but not the copyright. The authors do.

So if I receive a letter (or a book) I may keep it, destroy it, or even give it away, but I can't publish it or make copies.

Thomas Markle can show Meghan's original letters to the media but he can't send them copies he has made or publish them. And neither can the media.

Thank you for the clarification.
  #844  
Old 01-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Harry, Duke of Sussex loses complaint against the 'Mail on Sunday' :

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/pr...ail-on-sunday/
  #845  
Old 01-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
To me, the Sussexes are coming across as a couple that can't take any kind of criticism. Some of their legal action was reasonable and justified, the complaint over the elephant photos was ridiculous. If you share photos publicly you have to be prepared for reasonable criticism.
  #846  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan999 View Post
To me, the Sussexes are coming across as a couple that can't take any kind of criticism. Some of their legal action was reasonable and justified, the complaint over the elephant photos was ridiculous. If you share photos publicly you have to be prepared for reasonable criticism.
I have to agree.......I never heard about this until now. This is the kind of thing they are suing over? Boy, talk about thin skin. The only thing Harry and Meghan are accomplishing by taking such a litigious attitude towards any criticism is giving reason for people not to take them seriously.
  #847  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I have to agree.......I never heard about this until now. This is the kind of thing they are suing over? Boy, talk about thin skin. The only thing Harry and Meghan are accomplishing by taking such a litigious attitude towards any criticism is giving reason for people not to take them seriously.
I think everything about them is alarming but it isn't my problem and she doesn't really have a family and he has isolated himself from his so it isn't their problem either. I just hopes it goes well for them now. As humans. But I really want to move on from him and her. It's too much mental health red lights to deal with.
  #848  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,556
I think Harry and Meghan need to learn that they cannot sue anyone who says the slightest word against them. I'm sure we all sometimes get upset over comments people make about our social media posts: imagine if everyone sued everyone who said something they didn't like!


The letter issue came up when Paul Burrell included letters sent by Prince Philip in his book about Diana. The recipient owns the actual piece of paper, for what a piece of paper's worth :-) , but the sender owns what's written on it. In practice, it's not that uncommon for newspapers to publish extracts from letters. And everyone would probably have completely forgotten about the letter by now had Harry and Meghan not kept going on about it. Least said, soonest mended!
  #849  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think Harry and Meghan need to learn that they cannot sue anyone who says the slightest word against them. I'm sure we all sometimes get upset over comments people make about our social media posts: imagine if everyone sued everyone who said something they didn't like!


The letter issue came up when Paul Burrell included letters sent by Prince Philip in his book about Diana. The recipient owns the actual piece of paper, for what a piece of paper's worth :-) , but the sender owns what's written on it. In practice, it's not that uncommon for newspapers to publish extracts from letters. And everyone would probably have completely forgotten about the letter by now had Harry and Meghan not kept going on about it. Least said, soonest mended!
Exactly, and this wasn't even a personal thing; it was just a criticism of their website/photo. Honestly, if you can't handle this kind of mild criticism, you shouldn't be in the public eye..........or at the very least, stop reading everything that's written about you. I rolled my eyes at reading about Charles being a hypocrite because he flew to Davos on planes- or whatever the issue was - and I'm sure that if he happened to run into those comments, he would have also, though I suspect he's learned not to scour the papers or social media for his name. Harry and Meghan have got to learn to just get on with things and not care so much about what people are saying about them.

I think you're right that people would have forgotten about the letter; at most it would have had a shelf life of a day or so.

Harry keeps complaining about the media, but then he continues to do things that keep his name in the media.
  #850  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Harry keeps complaining about the media, but then he continues to do things that keep his name in the media.
Like his mother.
  #851  
Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Like his mother.
Based on what I've read, it seems so; it seems like he's reliving her own experience - maybe not deliberately, but even so. His father and step-mother are perfect examples of how to deal with the inevitable media scrutiny - and they had to live through the most humiliating revelations. I keep reading that Harry and William think their pa is a fuddy duddy, eccentric dude, but Charles has accumulated much wisdom in his 70 plus years, and I think Harry at this point needs to consider him a valuable resource.
  #852  
Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Harry, Duke of Sussex loses complaint against the 'Mail on Sunday' :

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/pr...ail-on-sunday/
There was never a case here so I do not know what Harry and his legal advisers were thinking when they lodged the complaint
  #853  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:22 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Exactly, and this wasn't even a personal thing; it was just a criticism of their website/photo. Honestly, if you can't handle this kind of mild criticism, you shouldn't be in the public eye..........or at the very least, stop reading everything that's written about you. I rolled my eyes at reading about Charles being a hypocrite because he flew to Davos on planes- or whatever the issue was - and I'm sure that if he happened to run into those comments, he would have also, though I suspect he's learned not to scour the papers or social media for his name. Harry and Meghan have got to learn to just get on with things and not care so much about what people are saying about them.

I think you're right that people would have forgotten about the letter; at most it would have had a shelf life of a day or so.

Harry keeps complaining about the media, but then he continues to do things that keep his name in the media.
I don't blame the Sussexes' reaction given the historic relations Prince Charles's sons have had with the press, but as the old saying goes, it takes two to tango. Not stating how the photo was taken was a fishy move from Harry and certainly heat, then get out of the kitchen - I don't expect the Sussexes to be recluses in Canada, of course, but this example and also reading negative and hate comments doesn't help. Naturally you'd be curious about what is written about you but if I were as famous as Meghan and Harry I doubt I would really bother much unless it was threatening to my safety and I needed to take action.

I'm so conflicted on this!
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #854  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
Tom Cruise used to do this back in the day. He would sue over the slightest mention of him. It only made everyone go after him harder. They're going to make things worse pursuing the media like this.
  #855  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:47 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,554
but they've always done this. They make out the meida are the big bad wolf.. and they're not nice people..but they are a fact of life for a working royal... and if you really can't pretned to get on with them, go to darkest furthest Alaska and become a recluse because they will follow you. And the more they make a fuss, like they did over Archie's birth, the more the media will try and put them down. As others have said, if they at least pretended to try and cooperate, the stories would disappear in a day or so.. if they'd said who A's godparents were, or where he was born at first, but they had to make a fuss about it..
  #856  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I have to agree.......I never heard about this until now. This is the kind of thing they are suing over? Boy, talk about thin skin. The only thing Harry and Meghan are accomplishing by taking such a litigious attitude towards any criticism is giving reason for people not to take them seriously.
Well, I take them seriously being thin-skinned and loving attention
  #857  
Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,546
You win some, you lose some. It has only been a few months since the Sussexes forced the Sun and Dan Wootten to apologise over a made up story that damaged their reputations regarding the car park near Frogmore Cottage.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/princ...ng-ban-splash/

And then there was the drone that one site sent over their Cotswolds home, trying to spy in their windows. The organisation concerned was forced to pay large damages for that one.

I believe those wildlife photos were being criticised at a time when the Fail was sending three to four negative articles PER DAY about the couple (mostly Meghan) to their online editions. Why should anyone have to put up with that? I certainly wouldn't!

And the Sunday Fail (plus Meghan detractors) may well be rejoicing about this win.However, might be as well to remember the old saw about he who laughs last. I believe Meghan will win her action against the DM over her father's letter. Hope so, hope this so brave news group are forced to apologise on the front page of their rag.
  #858  
Old 01-31-2020, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
You win some, you lose some.
Only if you're [serially] litigious...
  #859  
Old 01-31-2020, 05:38 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,546
Well of course. It's perfectly fine to have drones looking in at your windows. You can always draw the blinds, even on sunny days. And three or four nasty and untrue stories per day for a year can always be dismissed with a happy laugh....!
  #860  
Old 01-31-2020, 05:40 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,554
But they can't sue all the time. Pick your battles. if they are now settling in Canada they may find the Canadian press isn't easy to deal with either....
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily 18th birthday america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian britain british british royal family cadwallader camilla camilla's family camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness coronation dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics harry and meghan hello! henry viii highgrove history ingrid-alexandra japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy mongolia nara period noble families politics portugal prince harry prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen victoria royal ancestry samurai solomon j solomon spanish royal family state visit suthida thai royal family tokugawa unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×