The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Personally, I think its a low blow to even think of using a family member, no matter how distasteful that family member has treated his daughter, to further their case in court.

I'm definitely in agreement with Madame Verseau that the MoS is sinking to low depths. If they believe their case has merits to win in court in the first place, they wouldn't have to be dragging Mr. Markle into this as the "monkey in the middle" so to speak. Using Mr. Markle, to me, reeks of psychological warfare tactics.
I am no fan of the MoS, but they are not the ones who brought the lawsuit, and they have a right to defend themselves. The ickiness comes from TM's willingness to be a witness, although as the recipient of the letter, and the person who gave it to the MoS, he might have been forced to testify no matter what.

I cannot imagine why it would come as a surprise to anyone, including the plaintiff, that he would end up giving testimony. Who his testimony ends up benefitting remains to be seen.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:16 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 319
I don’t think MoS are using Thomas Markle as their main defense. I think the goal is to create as much drama as possible to sell papers. Whatever fine they end up paying, if any, it will be a small chunky of change compared to how much money they will make from prolonged drama from the case.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 40
The whole thing is just desperately, awfully sad. And to come to a head this week, of all weeks...
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Personally, I think its a low blow to even think of using a family member, no matter how distasteful that family member has treated his daughter, to further their case in court.

I'm definitely in agreement with Madame Verseau that the MoS is sinking to low depths. If they believe their case has merits to win in court in the first place, they wouldn't have to be dragging Mr. Markle into this as the "monkey in the middle" so to speak. Using Mr. Markle, to me, reeks of psychological warfare tactics.
Indeed, I agree.

There are limits to what I find acceptable in situations like this and whilst ordinarily I am prepared to stretch the limits of acceptability, the concept of a father testifying against his daughter (with the possible exception of a criminal trial) goes beyond what I think is right.

On the one hand, I feel that the Sussex's were absolutely justified in bringing the Court case. I have no interest whatsoever in hearing about letters, text messages and phone calls between the Duchess of Sussex and her father.
It holds no interest to me and, consequently, it follows that it should hold no public interest either.

On the other hand, silence can sometimes be golden.

I do wonder whether they expected it to turn out like this - they are very brave to have brought the Court case looking at it in hindsight.

It gravely concerns me that, ordinarily, such an issue would result in a quick out-of-court settlement and all done and forgotten. Yet it is being pursued and, by all accounts, vigorously defended.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, United States
Posts: 676
Ah yes - there is a difference between "in the public interest" and "of interest to the public"
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 01-16-2020, 12:40 AM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Indeed, I agree.

There are limits to what I find acceptable in situations like this and whilst ordinarily I am prepared to stretch the limits of acceptability, the concept of a father testifying against his daughter (with the possible exception of a criminal trial) goes beyond what I think is right.

On the one hand, I feel that the Sussex's were absolutely justified in bringing the Court case. I have no interest whatsoever in hearing about letters, text messages and phone calls between the Duchess of Sussex and her father.
It holds no interest to me and, consequently, it follows that it should hold no public interest either.

On the other hand, silence can sometimes be golden.

I do wonder whether they expected it to turn out like this - they are very brave to have brought the Court case looking at it in hindsight.

It gravely concerns me that, ordinarily, such an issue would result in a quick out-of-court settlement and all done and forgotten. Yet it is being pursued and, by all accounts, vigorously defended.
This. The worst outcome for the Sussexes is that they decide to drop the suit to make the onslaught of coverage stop since when they filed it they had IMO both the legal and ethical high ground secured.

I wonder, but have no idea, what the DM legal team might have in their pocket beside Mr. Markle's threatened appearance.
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 01-16-2020, 07:28 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
The whole thing is just desperately, awfully sad. And to come to a head this week, of all weeks...
Do you think M & H knew this would be coming out this week,

Thomas Markle has nothing to lose, his daughter has cut off contact with him he has never met his son in law or baby grandson.

Mud sticks , even if only 50 % believe them, there are a contradictions, here. The caring young woman who visits womens' shelters , feeds the homeless etc etc and the daughter who sends dubious text messages to her father, doesn't introduce her husband or her new baby to him. Excludes him from the christening .
These messages shine a light on behaviour,
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fort Wayne, United States
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
The whole thing is just desperately, awfully sad. And to come to a head this week, of all weeks...
I actually wonder if the lawsuit factored into their decision to go this week. I was really surprised they sued - there was a chance of opening up the door that Meghan, Harry or both might be deposed or have to testify. And once you're on the stand, or being deposed, things can go sideways. I don't know british law at all, but its next to impossible to depose a person who isn't in the country.

I thought it was telling that they didn't use the palace's standard attorneys for this, but went outside and used a firm known for being aggressive. Lawyers who aren't aggressive aren't lazy or scared - they are cautious, particularly of how a lawsuit can backfire. I wonder if their attorneys informed them they are about to be deposed.
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
This. The worst outcome for the Sussexes is that they decide to drop the suit to make the onslaught of coverage stop since when they filed it they had IMO both the legal and ethical high ground secured.

I wonder, but have no idea, what the DM legal team might have in their pocket beside Mr. Markle's threatened appearance.
I agree with all of this, but especially the bolded. I always felt that Meghan had the right to bring the lawsuit, and had an excellent chance of prevailing. Whether it was the prudent thing to do, is another whole question. But it is becoming clear, if it wasn't already, that Meghan and Harry may not be much given to doing things with a great deal of forethought.
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Ah yes - there is a difference between "in the public interest" and "of interest to the public"
If you get involved with a soap opera actress you shouldn´t be surprised if your life becomes a soap opera...
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree with all of this, but especially the bolded. I always felt that Meghan had the right to bring the lawsuit, and had an excellent chance of prevailing. Whether it was the prudent thing to do, is another whole question. But it is becoming clear, if it wasn't already, that Meghan and Harry may not be much given to doing things with a great deal of forethought.
I think they react, not respond. And that is the downfall.
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:27 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
If you get involved with a soap opera actress you shouldn´t be surprised if your life becomes a soap opera...
The Windsors are one of the biggest soaps operas of this century. This is why we have hit shows based off them. Let's not act like they are something they not. They are a hot mess themselves and we have plenty evidence to back it up.

I don't think anyone is settling with the lawsuit. It will go on and what happens will happen. At this point I don't see anyone backing down.
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,779
I don't think anyone is backing down, but DM is really going low. DM has put in court filings that Markle has not meet Archie. The baby has no bearing in the case. DM is desperate and Markle is trying to use the case to force Meghan to let him see Archie. I'd like to see Markle explain why he hasn't had a relationship with his five adult non royal grandchildren, two he never met.

As for the suit there had been talk of suing since February 2019; the suit was filed in October.
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:26 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,682
Yes, the timing of the suit was unfortunate but it's timing had more to do with the Solicitors and the Court itself than the Sussexes, a fact that the media are well aware of.

As to information pertaining to the minor child, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, it is irrelevant to a case of Copyright Infringement. Mr Markle can give testimony relevant to the case but I very much doubt the Judge will allow him to use said testimony to "go off script" so to speak.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Windsors are one of the biggest soaps operas of this century. This is why we have hit shows based off them. Let's not act like they are something they not. They are a hot mess themselves and we have plenty evidence to back it up.

I don't think anyone is settling with the lawsuit. It will go on and what happens will happen. At this point I don't see anyone backing down.
I didn´t feel it was a "soap opera" during the past-Diana-years and before the actress created such a mess AT ALL!
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,833
No Windsor soap operas post Diana? Well, there was the aborted trial of Burrell the butler, a murky incident that involved a blackmail attempt on Prss Margaret's son David which went to trial but was virtually suppressed in the media. And of course the fake sheikh thing with Sophie Wessex, not to mention the cash for access of the Fergie scandal which occupied tabloid attention for days at a time. And that is just from two minutes of my thinking about the post Diana years!
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No Windsor soap operas post Diana? Well, there was the aborted trial of Burrell the butler, a murky incident that involved a blackmail attempt on Prss Margaret's son David which went to trial but was virtually suppressed in the media. And of course the fake sheikh thing with Sophie Wessex, not to mention the cash for access of the Fergie scandal which occupied tabloid attention for days at a time. And that is just from two minutes of my thinking about the post Diana years!
Harry's Nazi uniform, Harry naked in Vegas, the years of Waity-Katie, Prince Philip and his usual antics, Prince Andrew stepping down as trade envoy because of his friendship with Epstein and his murky business dealings, Princess Michael being Princess Michael... The list is endless
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No Windsor soap operas post Diana? Well, there was the aborted trial of Burrell the butler, a murky incident that involved a blackmail attempt on Prss Margaret's son David which went to trial but was virtually suppressed in the media. And of course the fake sheikh thing with Sophie Wessex, not to mention the cash for access of the Fergie scandal which occupied tabloid attention for days at a time. And that is just from two minutes of my thinking about the post Diana years!
Oh indeed, I can think of another 5 big ones right now. It's a perpetual soap opera with a large cast of characters who take it in turns to play the villain, the saint, the hero & the clown.
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,785
“Mr. Markle, are you being paid to give testimony here today?”
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:22 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Harry's Nazi uniform, Harry naked in Vegas, the years of Waity-Katie, Prince Philip and his usual antics, Prince Andrew stepping down as trade envoy because of his friendship with Epstein and his murky business dealings, Princess Michael being Princess Michael... The list is endless
Right? Give me a break with this idea that this family was pure and drama free until Meghan Markle arrived. Such power one gives her.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi america anastasia 2020 archie mountbatten-windsor armstrong-jones background story british royal family canada china chinese commonwealth countries coronavirus customs daisy dna doll duke of sussex earl of snowdon emperor fantasy movie general news thread gustaf vi adolf hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume house of windsor interesting introduction jack brooksbank jewellery jewelry książ castle line of succession list of rulers maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth princess laurentien princess of orange queen consort royal ancestry royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech stuart sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thailand tips tradition united states of america von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×