The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
How absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! There are implications that could be seen with this letter of support towards Meghan. These are women MPs that actually are part of the process to make the laws in the UK. Perhaps they're a minority at this time but as mentioned earlier, a show of support can and does gather momentum as it moves along. This gives Meghan a backing that can also be seen as a backing to her copyright lawsuit as it invaded her privacy by making her words in a letter public.

Perhaps those that would write and publish these stories about Meghan with the intent of demeaning her will pay attention now that they know MPs are standing up and being counted. Perhaps not.

I just have one question. I noticed first off that the letter of support was sent to Clarence House instead of directly to Frogmore Cottage or the Sussex offices in BP. Anyone have an idea why?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A number of posts have been deleted. Let’s stop comparing royals. Let’s also please stop the infighting and be respectful of one another.

This thread is about legal action taken by the Sussexes, so let’s move on from discussing the letter sent by MPs. Any additional off-topic comments will be deleted.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Update on the case after Byline uncovers court papers:

A very detailed article, well worth the read:

https://www.bylineinvestigates.com/m...gi0g3mpjebpd6i

The length these papers go to fabricate stories that they can use to dehumanise and demean someone is really quite disturbing. It's extremely damning to the Mail and in light of the current upheaval and several high profile lawsuits pending, there is no wonder the British press is ruining around scared to their bone, lashing out like toddlers. It's hard to imagine Leveson 2 not being triggered by it all - the practices in this country need urgent reworking and papers need to be held accountable for their reporting. They ruin lives on the daily without any repercussions and with a great deal of entitlement.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the most telling thing is that Meghan seemed to have kept records of everything. I don't think people saw that coming though they likely should have. So now she can provide physical evidence on her side. Can the other side say the same?

Also interesting that she has also included the story about the personal assistant Melissa. Meghan's lawyers are very much implying she is a disgruntled ex employee. That will be interesting if there is actual proof she was terminated or her contracted simply ended instead of "quitting due to big bad Meghan" like the papers wrote about endlessly.

Going to be an interesting few months. One thing is sure is that Meghan's team is prepared for the battle.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks much for posting that article, Cloep, and it is very much worth the read. It shows that The Duchess of Sussex has all her ducks in a row with hard facts and to the point of taking apart each and every "slur" or "misinformation" and downright lies and being able to state exactly what the truth really is.

So, here we have Meghan on one side with all her ducks in a row and the Mail on Sunday on the other side not presenting any kind of defense as of now and methinks their ducks are all quacked up.

This is just my supposition but I'm imagining that with all the facts and truths presented by Meghan's lawyers, the MoS/Associated Newspapers will be trying as hard as they can to get Meghan to take an out of court settlement as more and more is presented that Meghan's case is a strong and formidable one. I also believe that Meghan, with earning her nickname of "Tungsten" from her father-in-law, will *not* consider an out of court settlement but take the case to court and rip the MoS to shreds reputation wise and monetarily wise.

Now this is really how one fights back against bullying.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Serene Highness

It sounds like Meghan and her team have proof against all of these false articles written. Mail on Sunday publishing only half of Meghan's letter to her father provided an easy way to bring all of these false articles into the court case, as a way to strengthen the copyright case, and prove it's malicious intent. This from my non lawyer POV.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

I picture the editors and reporters scratching their heads and saying "We're only supposed to print articles that are true?!!!"

LOL
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Majesty

wait - i just saw this article below, yet i remember meghan claiming some months ago in an event how she 'never' read the news, 'never' checked social media on her, etc. now it seems she kept every single article by the daily mail that is not what she wants to hear. how does that work?

Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
wait - i just saw this article below, yet i remember meghan claiming some months ago in an event how she 'never' read the news, 'never' checked social media on her, etc. now it seems she kept every single article by the daily mail that is not what she wants to hear. how does that work?

She doesn't have to personally read these articles.

These aren't just articles she doesn't want to hear. They're made up lies, and it's not right that a national news outlet can print lies after lies.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Like she said she tried the 'stiff upper lip' theory and tried to ignore the stuff being written about her. But at some point when someone (in the case the British media) are harming your reputation and potentially putting you and your family in danger, you have to take a different approach and additional actions such as the lawsuit. In preparing for the lawsuit she most likely had to read some of the information to verify the accuracy or at the very least have conversations with the lawyers to verify the information.

Also, Harry does read the information so just because she doesn't typically to that she is most likely aware of what is being said as her husband knows and it impacts him.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan doesn't have to read it but her advisers would. You don't think that each time her estranged family were talking they didn't update her? Also she has a law team who pay people to look into stuff. I mean royal watchers can easily pull these articles up for free. You think professional on the clock couldn't?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Perhaps Meghan, herself, doesn't go pouring through all the tabloids and social media reports written about her but I would imagine that her staff keeps close tabs on just what is going on and if needed, informs Meghan. While Meghan could well have been informed of everything going around in tabloid circles, she didn't let it get to her and considered it "white noise".

The time came though when enough was enough and she had to take action. It helped that there were records kept filed away somewhere for future reference if needed. She's a smart cookie and has a good team of lawyers that could easily dig these articles up themselves.

As its nearing the holiday season, I'm going to actually say that it looks like the MoS's goose is cooked.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Courtier

There is some implication that this legal team is going article by article and calling out the untrue ones. I sincerely hope that is not the case, because if it is, there is going to be a lot more said by the ones that are, by implication, true, than the ones that are proven to be false.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
There is some implication that this legal team is going article by article and calling out the untrue ones. I sincerely hope that is not the case, because if it is, there is going to be a lot more said by the ones that are, by implication, true, than the ones that are proven to be false.
Yes, especially since most of the alleged inaccuracies are pretty small stakes--expensive bathtubs, yoga studios, etc. Those don't seem terribly important in the grand scheme of things, but apparently rankled enough to be included in the lawsuit. This then inevitably puts the focus on things that were published that are true, or will be assumed to be true if they aren't specifically refuted. So far as tracking down Meghan's father goes, isn't that pretty much what reporters do when they are trying to contact a source? I'm really wondering how all this is going to play out, and what the hoped for end result is. I still think there is the potential for this all to go very, very wrong, but I guess we'll see. Lawsuits have a way of being unpredictable.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Yes, I agree Ista, and I should clarify for others-- I do not mean to imply that Meghan (or anyone else) should have to turn a blind eye to "small," (relatively) incorrect things that were printed about her. I understand that these are necessary to include in the lawsuit because her legal team are painting a larger picture of mistreatment.

But now that it's become clear that even the "smaller" stories are going to be enumerated in the suit, it's going to become evident that some of the larger stories, with much more interesting implications, were true. While some will deny this logic, very few will believe that her legal team would go to the trouble of denying a story about an orange grove while leaving some of the much more sensational and harmful stories untouched. It's very unfortunate that Meghan is in this catch-22.

Incidentally, I think this is similar to the catch-22 Harry finds himself in. By fighting against stories that reporters gained access to by hacking his phone, he has to admit the stories (or at least their basis) are true when it might be far less comfortable not to do so. It is a terrible thing that he is being put in this situation.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

As I said before, there are receipts to back up the claim that there was a major smear campaign launched against the Duchess and a lot of it has been laid bare for all to see.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Majesty

We don't know that more court documents regarding further lies aren't on their way shortly.

I don't think that falsehoods printed about her relationship with her father and the financial help given him etc are small potatoes. Nor do I believe that the painting of Meghan as 'Duchess Difficult' with staff, Samantha Cohen a case in point, is unimportant either. Nor the lies about Meghan's background or the making up of imaginary relatives.

And the Fail and others were painting the Sussexes as extravagant with yoga studios etc right on top of the twisted narrative the Press came up with over the refurbishment of the Cottage into a home for the couple. A huge row about millions spent. Sovereign Grant money mentioned at all? No, not really.

I'll be interested to know how the newspaper group is going to paint all this as in the public interest.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Commoner

I guess that is because "sensational stories" as you put it can hardly be denied as they do not rely on facts. How can you prove you are not at odds with your brother? These accusations are diffused and hard to refute. Even though Harry and william were seen having a good time at polo people did not believe they were not at war with each other.

It is much easier to prove that Meghan did not forbid people from parking in her backyard and tons of other small things.

And I do think it is the small things that lead to this big situation. If there was not at least an article a day telling and most of the time inventing stuff about Meghan, none of the "big stories" would have gained much support.

You can ignore one small thing but when they happen everyday it becomes hard to just shrug them off.

I think also the point is to point out ridiculous stories, stories that have no basis in reality. Relationships amongst family are much harder to define and thus much opened to interpretation. It is not a yes or no question
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

With listing the small stuff that was printed that was exaggerated, twisted to mean something else or blatant lies made up to have a story to print, all points to the credibility of the MoS's intent to "doctor" Meghan's letter to her father to suit their own purposes and give weight to the fact that the MoS used her intellectual copyrighted property to their own ends and it wasn't a single incident that just happened with the letter. Its happened quite a bit of times over the years and they have the stories and the actual facts behind those stories to prove it.

All this makes the copyright infringement case stronger for Meghan's side.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I understand why they have included references to the other articles but it will be used by some (wrongly) to suggest that only those articles are untrue. For example, it makes no reference to the articles of an apparent feud. Yes most likely that is because they are sticking to reports about things they can disprove more easily - is there a £5,000 bath? no. Case closed. However, once you got down the rabbit hole its hard to come back.

Closed Thread