Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wondered this myself. Technically it belongs to him so it's his to give/sell/etc. However, she wrote it so the copywrite or implied copywrite would belong to her and if it was, in fact, altered so her words were not correctly put out there then it would infringe on her copywrite. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that this is the crux of that lawsuit. However, I'm no lawyer so I could be very, very much mistaken here.
That's also how I've understood it. The heart of the matter will not be the publishing of the letter itself but the alleged altering of it's content in an attempt to discredit the writer. Like you I'm no lawyer so I could be equally at fault about this.

Yes that's exactly what all of us are saying....fantastic understanding of what is being said.

This right here. I'll use Kate as an example again, when those pictures of her in France came out I don't believe she (or William) released a statemt or video crying about how unfair it was to her and how violated she was! They took legal action, I believe there was perhaps one statement (I don't remember) then they moved on.
This whole thing with Meghan and Harry could have been avoided if they had just filed the lawsuits released a simple statement about the violation of the law and not put their hurt feelings into the ring.

I agree they should suck it up. They are Royals. In my opinion, the success of royalty is that traditionally the general public, those who love royalty, feel they are on a different plane, almost not human. They are supported by the public purse, so they should be quiet, show up to events, cut ribbons, honor the military, help the needy, wear their jewels so the public can ooh and ahh, and keep their mouths shut. Because of the "higher plane" they many associate with royalty and because they are exceptionally privileged and funded by the public purse, many feel they should suck it up when it comes to the press. I am not saying this public attitude is right, but it is what it is. Honestly, the press can make you or break you. It is not fair, but it is a fact. When royals began to act "human" like everyone else, they cease to be relevant. The thing that absolutely baffles me about Harry and Meghan's choice to do this documentary is did they really believe the press would not run with this? Did they really think that the press would focus on the work they did in Africa instead of the unwise comments they made? Are they that naive? File lawsuits against the press when they have lawfully done something wrong, but Harry especially should know that releasing highly emotional statements do not work. The highly emotional Panorama interview did not get his mother anywhere except divorced from Prince Charles. All she said in that interview accomplished nothing, and the Royal Family enjoys some of the greatest popularity that is has ever had today.

Was it not reported a couple of months ago that H and M have indeed recruited a Hollywood PR firm to advise them over Palace courtiers? I remember even reading the name of the firm but I can't recall it now.

I read that. If that is true, why would BP allow them to do that? Should they use the PR people that BP would recommend, which I have a hard time believing would be this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that. If that is true, why would BP allow them to do that? Should they use the PR people that BP would recommend, which I have a hard time believing would be this one?

I suspect that as long as it was paid for with their own personal bank accounts rather than the public funds they receive then BP might not really get to tell them they can't use the new firm. However, I suspect that BP might be making their feelings more than clear about the direction that new firm appears to be leading them in.

I suspect that as long as it was paid for with their own personal bank accounts rather than the public funds they receive then BP might not really get to tell them they can't use the new firm. However, I suspect that BP might be making their feelings more than clear about the direction that new firm appears to be leading them in.

I hope BP is doing this. I think that for hose who work for the Firm, the Firm should be able to tell them what they can and cannot do, specifically when it comes to PR since bad PR for one member of the royl family affects the whole family. But, it probably does not totally work this way.

Last edited:
I think the problem is not the lawsuit but the deep enmity and loathing that Harry feels for the press. Acting out of anger and hostility is rarely a good idea, especially when it leads you to paint with broad brush strokes.

I was listening to an interview the other day with a member of the media and he spoke about how hostile Harry routinely is to the press. All the press. Others have written about how Harry doesn't distinguish between paparazzi and someone like Arthur Edwards, or between a credentialed reporter and a drone in a content factory at the Mail Online. And he blames all reporters for the actions of any of them.

That's not to his credit, and it makes him look unreasonable, even when taking reasonable actions like the lawsuits.

I agree they should suck it up. They are Royals. In my opinion, the success of royalty is that traditionally the general public, those who love royalty, feel they are on a different plane, almost not human. They are supported by the public purse, so they should be quiet, show up to events, cut ribbons, honor the military, help the needy, wear their jewels so the public can ooh and ahh, and keep their mouths shut. Because of the "higher plane" they many associate with royalty and because they are exceptionally privileged and funded by the public purse, many feel they should suck it up when it comes to the press. I am not saying this public attitude is right, but it is what it is. Honestly, the press can make you or break you. It is not fair, but it is a fact. When royals began to act "human" like everyone else, they cease to be relevant. The thing that absolutely baffles me about Harry and Meghan's choice to do this documentary is did they really believe the press would not run with this? Did they really think that the press would focus on the work they did in Africa instead of the unwise comments they made? Are they that naive? File lawsuits against the press when they have lawfully done something wrong, but Harry especially should know that releasing highly emotional statements do not work. The highly emotional Panorama interview did not get his mother anywhere except divorced from Prince Charles. All she said in that interview accomplished nothing, and the Royal Family enjoys some of the greatest popularity that is has ever had today.

Duchess Rachel, you have put your perspective very nicely. Reminded me of the way I used to post a few years ago, when was high in energy and enthusiasm. Keep going. Hoping to see many more

I think the problem is not the lawsuit but the deep enmity and loathing that Harry feels for the press. Acting out of anger and hostility is rarely a good idea, especially when it leads you to paint with broad brush strokes.

I was listening to an interview the other day with a member of the media and he spoke about how hostile Harry routinely is to the press. All the press. Others have written about how Harry doesn't distinguish between paparazzi and someone like Arthur Edwards, or between a credentialed reporter and a drone in a content factory at the Mail Online. And he blames all reporters for the actions of any of them.

That's not to his credit, and it makes him look unreasonable, even when taking reasonable actions like the lawsuits.

I heard the same interview. He of course is human, but when he is representing the Queen, he is expected to conduct himself in a professional manner with the press. The Royal Family serves at the pleasure of the Government and the people of the UK, and like it or not....the Royal Press Pack is part of that deal. Behaving like a petulant angry teenager isn't becoming to him as an adult or as a member of TRF.

I heard the same interview. He of course is human, but when he is representing the Queen, he is expected to conduct himself in a professional manner with the press. The Royal Family serves at the pleasure of the Government and the people of the UK, and like it or not....the Royal Press Pack is part of that deal. Behaving like a petulant angry teenager isn't becoming to him as an adult or as a member of TRF.

Well if the press this is directed at would also behave professionally and responsibly none of this would be happening. No one likes to be lied about, especially in public. It’s hard for them to defend themselves because people, as you can read here and elsewhere, often feel they should just “suck it up”. If I were them I would be pissed of and extremely frustrated.

I also wonder what type of relationship these “newspapers” want to have with Harry and Meghan. You can’t lie about people and then expect to have a good working relationship with them. It doesn’t really work that way.

I really wish people would take the time to actually read the thread where folks have in detail discussed the basis of the lawsuit but there seems to be an influx of a certain type of poster lately.

In the UK, you own the copyright to your words regardless of if you physically own the letter or whatever that your words are on. It doesn't matter that Tom is in physical possesion of the letter. He only owns the physical letter, not it's contents. He was within his rights to show the physica letter to the reporter, but not to publish it. If the MoS wanted to run the letter, they had to ask Meghan's permission. They did not.

Not only did they not ask permission, they didn't give the palace a heads up or solicit comment from the palace--highly unusual and indicative of an understanding that they would face legal challenge.

In addition, Bylines has reported more information about the lawsuit including images that were filed with the briefing papers on behalf of the Duchess. The images show just HOW MUCH of the letter the DM cut (despite claims it was published in full by the paper). In addition, it lists other stories the DM ran based on false and intentionally inflammtory info.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/10/24/...r-about-his-exploitation-by-uk-tabloid-media/

Last edited:
I really wish people would take the time to actually read the thread where folks have in detail discussed the basis of the lawsuit but there seems to be an influx of a certain type of poster lately.

In the UK, you own the copyright to your words regardless of if you physically own the letter or whatever that your owns are on. It doesn't matter that Tom is in physical possesion of the letter. He only owns the physical letter, not it's contents. He was within his rights to show the physica letter to the reporter, but not to publish it. If the MoS wanted to run the letter, they had to ask Meghan's permission. They did not.

Not only did they not ask permission, they didn't give the palace a heads up or solicit comment from the palace--highly unusual and indicative of an understanding that they would face legal challenge.

In addition, Bylines has reported more information about the lawsuit including images that were filed with the briefing papers on behalf of the Duchess. The images show just HOW MUCH of the letter the DM cut (despite claims it was published in full by the paper). In addition, it lists other stories the DM ran based on false and intentionally inflammtory info.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/10/24/...r-about-his-exploitation-by-uk-tabloid-media/

Thank you for posting the link Zaira. I certainly don’t dispute that they have a case, but as I have said before, it’s the other things they have said that have fueled the debate and overshadowed the intent of the lawsuit. They will more than likely will win the lawsuit, but it won’t change a thing beyond that.

Thank you for posting the link Zaira. I certainly don’t dispute that they have a case, but as I have said before, it’s the other things they have said that have fueled the debate and overshadowed the intent of the lawsuit. They will more than likely will win the lawsuit, but it won’t change a thing beyond that.

I have no idea what the "thing" is that will change the media outside of another Leveson--and one that actually implements the changes suggested, so I don't disagree with you on if things will change or not. Then again, who knows I suppose. If I were them, I guess the feeling is that even if things ultimately don't change, at least you tried? And maybe that is enough.

The statement that Harry issued had no lies. Meghan worked hard from moment her pregnancy was announced and from that moment on the British media had it out for her with negative (and often untrue) article after article. Meghan was on maternity leave all of April and May wasn't doing any royal duties....laying low like many are suggesting and there were still 400+ articles about her in the month of May (mostly negative).

It was easy for Catherine to just sit back and not release a statement about things. She was never dealt that level of bullying and dehumanization. She was able to enjoy her pregnancies take time off both before and after without harassment.

There is no reason for the British media to constantly lie about Meghan and at some point enough is enough and Harry has made it very clear that he isn't going to sit idly by and watch his wife get trampled by the media...he is NOT playing that game. So they are taking legal action.

Those that say it isn't the right time...the right time is when the victim (and laws) say it is. Saying she should just be quiet and accept the abuse is saying it is okay for people to bully others and that the victim shouldn't protect themselves.

Yeah Kate was never abused....yeah sure. I and many others have already addressed that this situation is not something specifically done to Meghan but you refuse to acknowledge it and insist on pretending Meghan is the only one who has gone through this. I won't take up any more time arguing the same things.

, and the media and all of it, that It would be more wise and logical decision for them in the long term if Megan were to first relocate to the U.K. on say an artist visa, which would allow them to do all of the bolded and more.
But I was told it was a silly idea, and if they wanted kids and Yada.. yada, yada.

Given Meghan(and Harry) comment at the interview, about being warned and told to wait, I am now more than amazed on why she herself- given that she said about 6 mon in she knew this was it that- A: didn’t do any research on what her role would entail - such as go and speak with Sophie!, and B: didn’t think it would be wise to tell harry: yes i’ll marry you, but first before we do let me move to the U.K. and let’s see how well we do living together and dealing with everything, let your family to properly get to know me.
They both rushed into something neither were ready (and imo suited for each other)

It’s a shame they didn’t listened and waited and now there is a child involved and Harry ... seems to have completely pushed and alienated his entire family... except Meghan that is.

Very good points and I unfortunately am getting that vibe as well. They rushed into too much: marriage, moving, conversion, new job, new family, new baby. They didn't have to wait a decade like WnK but they should have put some more time in.

Several posts speculating on Harry's mental health have been removed, as per our speculation rule.

Several off-topic posts have also been removed. Please keep conversation to the couple's two lawsuits.

In the UK, you own the copyright to your words regardless of if you physically own the letter or whatever that your words are on. It doesn't matter that Tom is in physical possesion of the letter. He only owns the physical letter, not it's contents. He was within his rights to show the physica letter to the reporter, but not to publish it. If the MoS wanted to run the letter, they had to ask Meghan's permission. They did not.

Thanks for the link. I think since Dad is on record he gave/sold parts of the letter and the unredacted letter is part of the evidence Dad will have to explain himself under oath. The reporter who wrote the story and the editor who signed off on publishing it need to testify but I think Markle is still being set to take the fall because of his response. The media is also afraid of the Sussexes due to the suits and the hit pieces are their way of lashing out. Meghan's lawyers are laying out the case of examples of Meghan being maligned with other stories. They are playing the long game here.

Thanks for the link. I think since Dad is on record he gave/sold parts of the letter and the unredacted letter is part of the evidence Dad will have to explain himself under oath. The reporter who wrote the story and the editor who signed off on publishing it need to testify but I think Markle is still being set to take the fall because of his response. The media is also afraid of the Sussexes due to the suits and the hit pieces are their way of lashing out. Meghan's lawyers are laying out the case of examples of Meghan being maligned with other stories. They are playing the long game here.

Mr. Markle may have *shared* the letter (the prosecution would have to prove somehow that the MoS bought the letter). That isn't what the lawsuit is about. Markle could have shown the MoS the heading and the salutations at the end or just a few paragraphs if he had a mind to. The lawsuit is about the MoS deliberately and with intent *published* an abridged version of Meghan's letter. Mr. Markle has confirmed that parts of the letter were missing. Whomever did the editing whether it be Markle or the MoS is kind of a side issue. The *big* issue is that an abridged version of the letter was published and put into the public domain. That's where the infringement of copyright lies. ;)

I sincerely believe that the focus I've stated here will be the *only* thing involved in the lawsuit with the MoS.

Think of it this way. You're watching credits from a movie. In the credits it will say "film clip from X movie used with permission". The same thing with music throughout the movie. In the credits, they list not only who wrote the song but also who sung the version of the song used and state that permission has been granted for its use. ?

Last edited:
Gosh, the court case will kind of be Meghan versus her Dad. What a mess and how on Earth did it come to this? The media are going to have a field day and it will be compulsive viewing for the rest of us.

Do we really believe that Meghan would have filed the lawsuit in the first place knowing her father would be named as a defendant? I seriously don't think so. Mr. Markle may have been the epitome of a dad behaving badly but after all is said and done, he's still her father and I believe Meghan loves him.

A person could dearly love someone close to them but refuse to tolerate abusive behavior. Sometimes even, the *best* way to love someone is to refuse to enable them. ;)

Do we really believe that Meghan would have filed the lawsuit in the first place knowing her father would be named as a defendant? I seriously don't think so. Mr. Markle may have been the epitome of a dad behaving badly but after all is said and done, he's still her father and I believe Meghan loves him.

A person could dearly love someone close to them but refuse to tolerate abusive behavior. Sometimes even, the *best* way to love someone is to refuse to enable them. ;)

I'm sorry but I don't know how a father who lovingly raised you and provided you with the best education he could afford and who you yourself praised to the highest on a frequent basis could be the epitome of a dad behaving badly. Things have went wrong between them in the past 18 months but none of us know exactly why so it's not for any of us to lay the majority of blame at Meghan or her father's door. I think words like 'abusive' are way off the mark here too.

I'm sorry but I don't know how a father who lovingly raised you and provided you with the best education he could afford and who you yourself praised to the highest on a frequent basis could be the epitome of a dad behaving badly. Things have went wrong between them in the past 18 months but none of us know exactly why so it's not for any of us to lay the majority of blame at Meghan or her father's door. I think words like 'abusive' are way off the mark here too.

Continually going on TV to manipulate, gaslight, and insult your daughter, using racially coded language against her and her mother, telling abject lies about her, refusing to even tell her DIRECTLY you wouldn't be at her wedding to walk her down the aisle, using manipulative language around death--that is classic emotional abuse. Literally.

A parent is supposed to lovingly raise you and provide for you. As a parent, you don't get points for doing what a parent is expected to do. That doesn't excuse bad behavior by the parent at any point later.

And many children with complex relationships with their parents praise them in public. I speak from personal experience on this. It doesn't mean that the relationship is perfect behind the scenes or even healthy/functional. Maybe Meghan was in a good period with her dad when she made her posts praising him? Maybe part of how she coped with her relationship with him is to focus on the positive?

Regardless, she isn't suing her dad. She is suing the MoS for CR and misrepresentation. In addition, she is specifically calling out the media for manipulating and using her father. She has never once blamed her dad. Good for her because it couldnt be me if my father pulled even half of what Tom has.

The Mail can try to spin this but at the end of the day it falls on them to cover their legal butts. And in the pursuit of their malicious agenda of hate against Meghan, they let their need for clicks and drama overrun sense.

Continually going on TV to manipulate, gaslight, and insult your daughter, using racially coded language against her and her mother, telling abject lies about her, refusing to even tell her DIRECTLY you wouldn't be at her wedding to walk her down the aisle, using manipulative language around death--that is classic emotional abuse. Literally.

A parent is supposed to lovingly raise you and provide for you. As a parent, you don't get points for doing what a parent is expected to do. That doesn't excuse bad behavior by the parent at any point later.

And many children with complex relationships with their parents praise them in public. I speak from personal experience on this. It doesn't mean that the relationship is perfect behind the scenes or even healthy/functional. Maybe Meghan was in a good period with her dad when she made her posts praising him? Maybe part of how she coped with her relationship with him is to focus on the positive?

Regardless, she isn't suing her dad. She is suing the MoS for CR and misrepresentation. In addition, she is specifically calling out the media for manipulating and using her father. She has never once blamed her dad. Good for her because it couldnt be me if my father pulled even half of what Tom has.

The Mail can try to spin this but at the end of the day it falls on them to cover their legal butts. And in the pursuit of their malicious agenda of hate against Meghan, they let their need for clicks and drama overrun sense.

Wait a minute, when did Thomas Markle ever have a go at Meghan because of her race? Of both her parents Meghan said it was her father who had the greatest impact in making her feel comfortable with her mixed race heritage as she grew up. Also, as far as telling 'abject lies' go, Meghan herself did a pretty good job during the tour of New Zealand when she effectively denied that her father paid her way through college even though every contemporary witness would beg to differ. Therefore with regards to Meghan and her father I am loathe to apportion full blame to either side as it is clear that this is not a straight forward situation. I also reiterate that it is a sad state of affairs about which a great deal more will surely emerge during the Sussex lawsuit with the Mail on Sunday.

Last edited:
Stop turning this into a thread about Meghan's dad. This is about the legal issues and the lawsuit not the behavior of The Markles. It's like some are trying to get this thread closed

Stop turning this into a thread about Meghan's dad. This is about the legal issues and the lawsuit not the behavior of The Markles. It's like some are trying to get this thread closed

I will disagree with you on this XeniaCasaraghi. The reason this case exists is due to her her father sharing a personal letter with the media. The topic of her relationship with her father is relevant and will be discussed in the court of law if he is required to testify. As much as I sympathize with her, there are any number of ways all this could have been kept out the media had she had the right people advising her. It’s ridiculous that her family drama has been going on so long in public and has gotten to this point.

Wait a minute, when did Thomas Markle ever have a go at Meghan because of her race? Of both her parents Meghan said it was her father who had the greatest impact in making her feel comfortable with her mixed race heritage as she grew up. Also, as far as telling 'abject lies' go, Meghan herself did a pretty good job during the tour of New Zealand when she effectively denied that her father paid her way through college even though every contemporary witness would beg to differ. Therefore with regards to Meghan and her father I am loathe to apportion full blame to either side as it is clear that this is not a straight forward situation. I also reiterate that it is a sad state of affairs about which a great deal more will surely emerge during the Sussex lawsuit with the Mail on Sunday.

Sorry but huh? Meghan never said her father didn't support her going to school. What she said was that work-study and scholarships contributed to her attending school. Her school confirmed she had a scholarship and was in the work-study program. Even her crazy sister had to admit it too once she was provided with facts. So how did Meghan lie or you claiming her college did too. I have yet to see Thomas provide receipts proving he paid 100% of her college fees.

And Thomas attacked Meghan, Doria, Harry, and the BRF as a whole. The defending of this man is bizarre when he has given 10209132 interviews and changes his story with each one. Heck the letter being revealed itself is because he was running around lying about never having heard from Meghan and then he was exposed as a liar.

Anyways the courts will sort it and thankfully Meghan knew exactly the person her father was and made a copy of the letter.

Once again, Mr. Markle will *not* be involved in this lawsuit. It is a lawsuit against MoS solely. It doesn't matter one bit *how* the MoS got the letter or from whom they obtained the letter. The Queen could have slipped the MoS this letter and it still wouldn't matter to the lawsuit. What matters is that the MoS *published* an abridged copyrighted intellectual property. That is the violation.

People seem to think that this court case is going to be filled with witnesses and depositions much like law cases on TV. I don't believe it will be. It most likely will be the Sussex lawyers and the MoS's lawyers in front a judge that will render a decision and pronounce a settlement or lack of one.

Last edited:
Very good points and I unfortunately am getting that vibe as well. They rushed into too much: marriage, moving, conversion, new job, new family, new baby. They didn't have to wait a decade like WnK but they should have put some more time in.

That is all true but in a just world they would still get their chance to create a life worth living for both of them without the relentless pressure of the media, the foul lying and contra agendas.

They chose their way and they have the Commonwealth Trust as their vehicle to do all the things they feel they need to do, they have their own home outside of palace walls and can collect their own people to help them and as long as they are able not to fall for their own images (as Diana did!) they will make it, I'm sure of it.

It might not be the life the BRF has hoped for for Harry but it will still be a useful life in their own eyes.

Is the phone hacking case as a result of recent events or does the hacking go back a number of years.

Is the phone hacking case as a result of recent events or does the hacking go back a number of years.

It's a class action suit and it goes back years (for Harry) as I understand it.

LaRae

It is not a class action suit. People are speculating that the suit relates to hacking from over a decade ago, but in reality we have been given no indication what hacking it refers to.

It is not a class action suit. People are speculating that the suit relates to hacking from over a decade ago, but in reality we have been given no indication what hacking it refers to.

It is a group action actually.

He is joining scores of other people in a group claim that alleges editors and executives at Mirror Group Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mirror, and News Group Newspapers (NGN), publisher of the Sun and the defunct News of the World, mounted an industrial-scale cover-up over more than 20 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ins-court-case-against-tabloid-hacking-crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom