The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,843
Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.
__________________

  #282  
Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Harry's statement was rather public. That was what Xenia was referring to if I'm not mistaken.

I fully understand them taking action but if this second lawsuit is truly about something that happened years and years ago that seems more like revenge than anything else. And that in itself doesn't look good (even if fully justified; in that case they are mainly on a hunt to find anything to hurt those who hurt them).

The other thing that concerns me is that Harry's statement was released on their private website that hadn't been used before (if I understand it correctly); that - in combination with it being their own money that is being used - raises the question whether the rest of the family agrees with this course of action (or at least statement); because if so, why wasn't it released via the normal channels? Of course, they are their own people and can do as they see fit but at the same time they play a part in a bigger whole (the position they have and the life they want to lead completely depends on it) and if the key players in that 'bigger picture' don't agree with either the statement or the lawsuit itself, it could get complicated.
We still donít know the full details on the second lawsuit.

Yes, his statement was public. It had to be done that way to get the point across. He was rather nice, appropriate and diplomatic in his statement. If it was up to me, I wouldíve put all kinds of four letter words in the statement, but thatís just me. Heís just one step away from actually doing that though.

Iím sure the family knew what Harry was going to do long before he did it. Harry have too much respect for his grandmother and father than to just spring a surprise on them. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan. I know all about the family long held motto ďnever complain, never explainĒ but this campaign has been extremely vicious and is full of racist undertones and it was done without a morsel of pushback from the family she married into. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #283  
Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.

That's definitely a risk he's taking.

I'm undecided about all of this. On the one hand the couple got glowing reviews during their recent tour. Why not capitalize on that and move on?

On the other hand, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm not on the receiving end. Harry's dealt with the media all his life and obviously he believes this s**t will never end unless he takes drastic measures.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best. For Harry & Meghan, that is, not the media.
  #284  
Old 10-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
That's definitely a risk he's taking.

I'm undecided about all of this. On the one hand the couple got glowing reviews during their recent tour. Why not capitalize on that and move on?

On the other hand, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm not on the receiving end. Harry's dealt with the media all his life and obviously he believes this s**t will never end unless he takes drastic measures.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best. For Harry & Meghan, that is, not the media.
Thatís because the glowing reviews they were getting from the tour was always going to be temporary. Just as soon as their plane landed back in the UK, the campaign was going to resume. Harry pointed out the double standard in his statement.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #285  
Old 10-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I agree the titles aren’t nearly as profitable as they once were but the owners still have deep pockets. Viscount Rothermere is worth somewhere around £1.5 billion.
News of the World went bust. The owner (Murdoch) had equally deep pockets. Proof that seemingly invulnerable media can be hit hard when Lady Justitia wants to set an example.
  #286  
Old 10-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
News of the World went bust. The owner (Murdoch) had equally deep pockets. Proof that seemingly invulnerable media can be hit hard when Lady Justitia wants to set an example.
Yes but NoTW went bust not because Rupert Murdoch couldnít afford to keep it afloat. There were other powers at play.

My point is a million dollar fine to a billionaire isnít enough to work up a sweat.
  #287  
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Harry going to a full war with the press will give the same press fodder for many months to come and will be toxic for the whole institution because it distracts from the purpose to no end, it will polarize and divide public opinon. Especially the second lawsuits screams 'revenge', it seems that Harry has now decided to burn all bridges with fire accelerant.
Not so strange for someone who saw his very own mother mercilessly hunted by the heyenas and jackals of the tabloids. We are used to British vile media, but what happened to the Duchess, without any particular reason, was a pure assassin by proxy. Never ever I have seen a royal being so trashed. And what for? What has she ever done to get such a treatment? The Duke is right to take all legal means available to protect his family for a repeating of history.
  #288  
Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Not so strange for someone who saw his very own mother mercilessly hunted by the heyenas and jackals of the tabloids. We are used to British vile media, but what happened to the Duchess, without any particular reason, was a pure assassin by proxy. Never ever I have seen a royal being so trashed. And what for? What has she ever done to get such a treatment? The Duke is right to take all legal means available to protect his family for a repeating of history.

It always takes 2 to tango, it did with Diana as we all know and it does with Meghan. And the problem is that there is either black or white, no middle ground anymore. Opinion is divided and both sides are more and more aggressively holding their ground (I am not referring to you or the tone of your post). The lawsuits won't stop but only increase that.
  #289  
Old 10-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It always takes 2 to tango, it did with Diana as we all know and it does with Meghan. And the problem is that there is either black or white, no middle ground anymore. Opinion is divided and both sides are more and more aggressively holding their ground (I am not referring to you or the tone of your post). The lawsuits won't stop but only increase that.
Harryís mother had no one to protect her. Harry is letting everyone know heís gonna protect his wife. If folks donít like it, thatís too bad. His statement spoke volumes on that.

Meghan hasnít done anything to bring about the campaign against her. No one should fault a man for getting upset for slamming his wife because they canít accept Meghan for being Meghan.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #290  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,327
From an article by Alex Barker in yesterday's Financial Times:

"People close to the Duke say he sees himself mounting a bigger campaign against a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life."
  #291  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
We still don’t know the full details on the second lawsuit.

Yes, his statement was public. It had to be done that way to get the point across. He was rather nice, appropriate and diplomatic in his statement. If it was up to me, I would’ve put all kinds of four letter words in the statement, but that’s just me. He’s just one step away from actually doing that though.
I would sincerely hope he would refrain from that. I am sure Michelle Obama's mantra 'when they go low, we go high' is well known to them.

Quote:
I’m sure the family knew what Harry was going to do long before he did it. Harry have too much respect for his grandmother and father than to just spring a surprise on them. Perhaps they just decided to allow Harry and Meghan to handle this in the way they see fit, but it bothers me that the family have remained totally silent on the campaign launched against Meghan.
I am quite sure they KNEW (especially since it had been months in the making - although the official statement doesn't say a word about the queen and prince of Wales being informed; that information was probably shared separately) but that is not the same as them agreeing with the way they are handling it. The fact that this statement was not published through their BP office speaks volumes. It could be that they fully support the lawsuit but not the statement or the other way around. If they were completely on board, I would have expected a different course of action. Nonetheless, now H&M chose taking this route, I assume they support them and hope for the best.
  #292  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 282
by the way, isn't it funny that it is the first weekend in years that there is no story about the Sussexes except a cotton candy type story in the Sun?

Check this headline MEG-A CUTE Meghan Markle and Prince Harry share a video of their favourite Africa tour moments-including Baby Archie's first royal outing

With pink and all I guess this the lawsuit effect
  #293  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
From an article by Alex Barker in yesterday's Financial Times:

"People close to the Duke say he sees himself mounting a bigger campaign against a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life."
I hope not. It seems a really bad idea for a royal to take on the press 'in general'. That's rather different from trying to make them toe the line on royal reporting.
  #294  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I would sincerely hope he would refrain from that. I am sure Michelle Obama's mantra 'when they go low, we go high' is well known to them.


I am quite sure they KNEW (especially since it had been months in the making - although the official statement doesn't say a word about the queen and prince of Wales being informed; that information was probably shared separately) but that is not the same as them agreeing with the way they are handling it. The fact that this statement was not published through their BP office speaks volumes. It could be that they fully support the lawsuit but not the statement or the other way around. If they were completely on board, I would have expected a different course of action. Nonetheless, now H&M chose taking this route, I assume they support them and hope for the best.
If the family donít support the statement, then shame on them. Everything Harry laid out in his statement truly summed up whatís been going on in this smear campaign. The family should not only back it, but they should publicly rally around Meghan. The way sheís been treated canít be justified and nor should it be accepted by the royal family.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #295  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I hope not. It seems a really bad idea for a royal to take on the press 'in general'. That's rather different from trying to make them toe the line on royal reporting.
That's not what the statement means. Harry's not taking on the press 'in general.'

He sees his own treatment by the media (and Meghan's) as part of a bigger issue - "a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life." Some elements within the media have a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth, sometimes ruining lives in the process. I suspect Harry thinks its time for all of this "rot" to stop - not only for Meghan and himself - but for other media victims as well.
  #296  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
From an article by Alex Barker in yesterday's Financial Times:

"People close to the Duke say he sees himself mounting a bigger campaign against a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life."
The British tabloids are hors categorie when it comes to vile, nasty campaigns. Indeed the rot in British civic life because with 24/24 and 7/7 availability of media, any spin, fake news, bubble is extremely damaging. Beyond comparison with Diana's pre-internet media treatment. Good that now the prey shows it can claw back too.
  #297  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Well, it's certainly a story that will get Peter Hunt clicks. Brilliant move on his part.

Personally, I'm skeptical. Through their hard work the Sussexes have clearly demonstrated they plan to use the power & influence their positions afford them to champion the causes they care about. They're not gonna let go of that.

I don't know... At some point Prince Harry must realize, that his offspring will not be on the royal list. And then he must monetize - as some kind of trade representative towards Africa or something, where he makes some pounds.

Sounds ugly - but the necessities life can be ugly...

Or he goes to America! And makes the monies there... He becomes the Senator of California, democrat of course; and Meghan takes over Oprah Winfrey's role. They would be a huuuuge success!
  #298  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
I don't know... At some point Prince Harry must realize, that his offspring will not be on the royal list. And then he must monetize - as some kind of trade representative towards Africa or something, where he makes some pounds.

Sounds ugly - but the necessities life can be ugly...

Or he goes to America! And makes the monies there... He becomes the Senator of California, democrat of course; and Meghan takes over Oprah Winfrey's role. They would be a huuuuge success!

Anne's children aren't royal, neither are Edward's, and Andrew's aren't working royals. I don't think this is an issue for Harry and Meghan. Besides, Meghan did just fine financially before she was on the royal list.
  #299  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Anne's children aren't royal, neither are Edward's, and Andrew's aren't working royals. I don't think this is an issue for Harry and Meghan. Besides, Meghan did just fine financially before she was on the royal list.

Sorry, but I forgot, what I wanted to say: If Harry wants to makes his monies IN the UK, he will have to find a good position towards the press, some kind of friendly agreement. Otherwise Archie and his possible offspring will be poor.

In the last generation Prince Andrew, who is comparable to Harry, including Helicopters and all, made some monies with kazakh oligarchs and so on - he was a trade representative....

And in the USA the press can be ugly too! Ask Mr. Trump...

Harry is too old, to revenge his mother or something.
  #300  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
That's not what the statement means. Harry's not taking on the press 'in general.'

He sees his own treatment by the media (and Meghan's) as part of a bigger issue - "a manipulative and deceitful press - the rot in Britain's civic life." Some elements within the media have a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth, sometimes ruining lives in the process. I suspect Harry thinks its time for all of this "rot" to stop - not only for Meghan and himself - but for other media victims as well.
The message I responded to alluded to something much bigger than Harry's private legal fight (at least that's how I interpreted it). If he intends to broaden his fight, that would be a bad thing. If he just thinks that by these lawsuits he is playing a small part in a bigger fight, that would make sense to me.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi anastasia 2020 archie mountbatten-windsor armstrong-jones background story british royal family canada commonwealth countries coronavirus customs daisy dna doge of venice doll duke of sussex earl of snowdon emperor family tree fantasy movie fashion and style general news thread george vi gustaf vi adolf hereditary grand duchess stťphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume house of windsor interesting introduction jack brooksbank jewellery jewelry książ castle line of succession list of rulers maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth princess laurentien princess of orange queen consort royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech stuart sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thailand tips tradition videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×