The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,361
There's two issues running parallel here, the behaviour of the Sussex's themselves and the behaviour of some elements of the press and I'm afraid that one dosn't cancel out the other. Most members of the public would condemn phone hacking but those same people are just as likely to still regard Harry and Meghan as hypocrites for taking private jets whilst preaching about the enviroment or be annoyed at their apparent desire to be more celebrities than royals sometimes whilst living off the public purse. That's reflected on social media where it's individuals who are roundly criticising H and M not the papers. People form their opinions on what they see and whilst Harry is angry at the papers he really should look at how he has done certain things since his wedding and ask if perhaps there are valid reasons for the negativity coming his way. I doubt that will happen though as he and Meghan give off the vibe they are utterly convinced they know best about the subjects they talk about and how certain things should be done so I doubt they even notice that it rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. That's why, phone hacking or copyright issues aside, I don't think anything positive will come out of these court cases for H and M.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:04 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
Sometimes keeping quite is the hardest thing to do and not always react or fight when there is no big wins. That’s my opinion, off course.
I think it takes a lot of bravery to go against a giant when no one expects you to win. This is how change occurs. It is your own personal journey but I would rather fail while trying instead of turning a blind eye and wondering what if.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:10 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,723
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sussexes had planned to sue these newspapers for a long time and the reasons behind him suing them now (Meghan's letter and the illegal answer phone messages) are just a trigger for them to take proper action. These particular outlets have had a history of attacking and stalking members of the BRF.
It will be really interesting to see how policies in regards to what outlets can share will pan out if the Sussexes win their case.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 10-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,756
After three years of abuse the Sussexes are fighting back. They tried to settle Lettergate quietly but some how things fell apart and they said enough. Let's face it the British media has exploited the "never complain never explain" stance of the royals. The hit dogs in the media are hollering because they were broadsided with the announcement of the lawsuit and I suspect some didn't think Meghan would sue because it involves her father. I still believe DM fears Tom Sr is a liability and it would take steps to completely discredit him if it comes to his testifying. As for threatening not to cover the Sussexes - empty threat considering there are too many media outlets that would gladly pick up the slack, especially in the US. Harry's lawsuit is a wildcard. We don't know the details, allegedly for hacking from years ago. The fact that BP confirmed the suit means these suits have been planned for months and all pertinent parties knew. There may be a strategy behind this and we won't know more filings come through by deadlines. Some in the press got their feelings hurt and are lashing out, basically proving Harry's point and the temper tantrums could be used at trial, depending on UK law.

While some think the Sussexes are tilting windmills here and the press will still go after them even with a win they should fight the fight. They have been hurt enough and they may inspire others who believe they have no chance against a behemoth to stand up. Purposing a new hashtag- #sussexstrong.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With all the latest developments, all I can say is that now we *know* the silly season is over with!
Well, as I quoted earlier from commentary I've read regarding the initial legal action:

"Harry's had enough... He's a soldier, he's ready." And, I'm here for it.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,583
J*sus. Harry has totally gone off his rocker. Instead of punching outside, he would be wise to rather start digging inside.
I will not elaborate any further and refrain from this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 399
Comments that after years of abuse towards his now family, Harry is now fighting back made sense yesterday.

Now, not so much.

It is clear that Harry has some long-held-- grudges? scars?-- in relation to the media that he has decided to work out now. As someone who was applauding him for the past two days, I think it's a shame that he tried to lump that in with his quite right intentions to protect his wife and son, as if it's all one crusade.

If he is harboring feelings about the way the phone hacking scandals from over a decade ago were handled, my heart breaks for him. He was young at the time and it's clear he felt he was never given a chance at justice and those with guardianship over him and his affairs should have seen to it he was given that chance. But this whole thing is now strange-- this is not a man fighting for his wife and child, this is a man fighting his own long past battles, and the two simply can't be lumped together into "poor media treatment."

It doesn't work like that. You can't say "You treated her poorly today, so I'm going to get you for what you did ten years ago." That's... extremely distasteful. "I have a legal claim against you, so if you don't tow the line, I'll file it in court." "I know what you did ten years ago, so treat my family well, or else!" Court systems don't work that way, and that's... really how this is coming across. Or, it's coming across as... "Not only do they treat her badly, but look! Look what they did to me!" Either way, that's... not what courts are designed to do, to wait around for years until you decide to file and strike to suit your interests. It may work. It will more likely backfire. Because "why did you file now" is a legitimate question to be asked and unless there is something new we don't know (and I hope there is) the answer could be ... interesting?
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,345
I don't see it as such -- almost or otherwise. If someone has committed a crime then it is the victim's right to seek justice for it. It doesn't matter if it was yesterday or 10 years ago. And it being an inconvenience to them is really of little matter. I can see your argument being one the publications could attempt but I think will be extremely weak of them.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:27 PM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 251
The second lawsuit filing is perplexing to me because fighting two different causes of action against separate parties at the same time presents some challenges. And in the US, at least, its rather expensive. Its something that usually happens in class action situations (big tobacco lawsuits are an example).

I'm really not seeing the strategy---not saying it doesn't exist of course---but I guess I just don't see it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 313
I fully support the Sussexes and hope they will be successful in all of their actions against the press! I think it’s brave of Harry to use his privilege to help not just himself, but others who may benefit in the future if there are better media standards & regulation.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:27 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Comments that after years of abuse towards his now family, Harry is now fighting back made sense yesterday.

Now, not so much.

It is clear that Harry has some long-held-- grudges? scars?-- in relation to the media that he has decided to work out now. As someone who was applauding him for the past two days, I think it's a shame that he tried to lump that in with his quite right intentions to protect his wife and son, as if it's all one crusade.

If he is harboring feelings about the way the phone hacking scandals from over a decade ago were handled, my heart breaks for him. He was young at the time and it's clear he felt he was never given a chance at justice and those with guardianship over him and his affairs should have seen to it he was given that chance. But this whole thing is now strange-- this is not a man fighting for his wife and child, this is a man fighting his own long past battles, and the two simply can't be lumped together into "poor media treatment."

It doesn't work like that. You can't say "You treated her poorly today, so I'm going to get you for what you did ten years ago." That's... extremely distasteful. "I have a legal claim against you, so if you don't tow the line, I'll file it in court." "I know what you did ten years ago, so treat my family well, or else!" Court systems don't work that way, and that's... really how this is coming across. Or, it's coming across as... "Not only do they treat her badly, but look! Look what they did to me!" Either way, that's... not what courts are designed to do, to wait around for years until you decide to file and strike to suit your interests. It may work. It will more likely backfire. Because "why did you file now" is a legitimate question to be asked and unless there is something new we don't know (and I hope there is) the answer could be ... interesting?
We don't know when Harry became aware of these hacked VM. It very well could be new ones not uncovered until recently or ones sepate from the ones already disclosed.

Or it could be more recent ones. The actual claim[s] have yet to be fully revealed.

Either way, wrong is wrong. The courts are set up to address wron doing, regardless of when a crime occured unless statutorily bound. If he decided to file now because he hates Piers Morgan, for example, BECAUSE of his near daily abuse of Meghan, is that not still fighting for his family? Even if Piers is not implicated [unlikely given the timeframe in question and paper] why does it matter? A wrong was still allegedly committed and maybe Harry now feels enough in control of his affairs to pursue it.

Trust me, no one will feel bad for these papers or for Piers. Its long been time for them to come to roost.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,910
Some Commentary from The Spectator. It’ll be interesting going forward how this all plays out in the ‘court’ of public opinion.

Quote:
"Harry and Meghan want the public to admire them and to rally behind the woke causes they espouse. But then they are outraged by criticism and their actions being subject to scrutiny. Some of the criticism levelled at the couple is perfectly justified. They lecture us on protecting the environment but travel by private jet and have their own fleet of cars shipped from the UK to South Africa. They tell us how to live but lead a lifestyle that is so fabulously wealthy it is beyond most people’s imagining. The Duke and Duchess want press coverage but on their terms – deferential, discreet and on message. Unfortunately for them this is not journalism – it’s called ‘public relations’."

Entire article: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...-on-the-press/
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
The second lawsuit filing is perplexing to me because fighting two different causes of action against separate parties at the same time presents some challenges. And in the US, at least, its rather expensive. Its something that usually happens in class action situations (big tobacco lawsuits are an example).

I'm really not seeing the strategy---not saying it doesn't exist of course---but I guess I just don't see it yet.
The two lawsuits are being handled by two different law firms. Schillings is handling the letter case and Clintons is handling the hacking case.

High profile, wealthy people have gone after the tabloids in the U.S., usually because of a last straw or a particularly egregious story or action.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
We don't know when Harry became aware of these hacked VM. It very well could be new ones not uncovered until recently or ones sepate from the ones already disclosed.

Or it could be more recent ones. The actual claim[s] have yet to be fully revealed.

Either way, wrong is wrong. The courts are set up to address wron doing, regardless of when a crime occured unless statutorily bound. If he decided to file now because he hates Piers Morgan, for example, BECAUSE of his near daily abuse of Meghan, is that not still fighting for his family? Even if Piers is not implicated [unlikely given the timeframe in question and paper] why does it matter? A wrong was still allegedly committed and maybe Harry now feels enough in control of his affairs to pursue it.

Trust me, no one will feel bad for these papers or for Piers. Its long been time for them to come to roost.
That’s true. And honestly, it is entirely justifiable that this is something he didn’t pursue before because his issue was always with how things will change going forward. With the Leveson inquiry and other fallouts, the media did have to drawn back some of the more unethical tactics. But it seems to gotten quite underhanded again. If Harry feels that no significant improvements have been made since then, he’s got every right to seek justice and expose those that behaved without any regard for other people.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,083
I think a lot (perception-wise)hinges on when the alleged hacking took place. If it was recent--say within the last 5 years--it seems reasonable and pertinent. If the hacking took place when Harry was still a teenager, as some sources have speculated, then it does seem a little odder to go after the Mirror and Sun now. It will be interesting to see what the details of the case are. I wonder how long it will be before we get that information?
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,567
The first lawsuit I understand but I am curious about this new one. If this is indeed from 2005, I’m curious as to what made him decide to sue now and whether he asked William and Kate to sign on as well - their phones were hacked too.

I recall a few of the hack voicemails involved Chelsy and during the 2015 hacking trial, there was some less than flattering details that emerged regarding how the BRF felt about her. I can'’t imagine she wants to go through this again, so I do hope Harry gave her a heads up before he filed suit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,756
The Spectator article was great for giggles but I can smell the fear wafting between the lines. Fear by the British media that some questionable practices may be revealed in court; fear of a MoS loss in court could open the floodgates of action against them down the road. Is this a jury trial? Seems likes an attempt to poison the jury pool.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Some Commentary from The Spectator. It’ll be interesting going forward how this all plays out in the ‘court’ of public opinion.


Entire article: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...-on-the-press/
I’m sorry, but that blog is nothing but a revisionist history. Even trying to conceal an illegal act by MoS by omitting pertinent details. I am also missing where Prince Harry said only glowing articles allowed. Fact of matter is, while there has been some that are legitimate criticism, those are far and few in between. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of apologies have been issued to the Sussexes in the span of two years. Perhaps looking at those examples of egregious behavior is a appropriate analysis on if there is merit to Prince Harry’s letter. But I suppose that’s why it’s on the blog part, and not reporting.

TBH, I thought he should’ve attached all the apologies they’ve received in the last couple of years as appendix to the letter as example. But I don’t know if that’s operating in bad faith if they already agreed to settle.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:43 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,345
The Sun issued another apology to the Sussexes in the last week. Public opinion is an interesting thing. They run hot and cold. Depending on that is naive. Just stick to facts and if Harry's lawyers feel he has a decent chance it is likely why he (and Meghan) are pursuing these suits.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The first lawsuit I understand but I am curious about this new one. If this is indeed from 2005, I’m curious as to what made him decide to sue now and whether he asked William and Kate to sign on as well - their phones were hacked too.

I recall a few of the hack voicemails involved Chelsy and during the 2015 hacking trial, there was some less than flattering details that emerged regarding how the BRF felt about her. I can'’t imagine she wants to go through this again, so I do hope Harry gave her a heads up before he filed suit.
This is my concern because Catherine’s voicemails were hacked more than any other individual.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones baby names biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen carolin cht cpr duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon family tree games general news thread george vi gradenigo haakon vii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie history hochberg hypothetical monarchs imperial household interesting introduction jewellery jewelry jumma kids movie list of rulers luxembourg mailing maxima monarchy mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family pless prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen maud resusci anne royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding russian court dress spain stuart thai royal family videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×