Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

Pleased to see that the Sussexes have chosen to file the suit, but agree that perhaps they should have waited until they'd returned to the UK.

I find it interesting the MoS have decided to not settle this ‘out of court’ and instead will defend itself vigorously.

But I agree it won’t do anything to reduce the negative coverage but probably just add more fuel to the fire.

MoS is basically accused of using falsified or altered content in a letter to portrayed Meghan in a bad light. Something tells me Tom Sr is going to be called to testify and explain what he sent to the Mail. I still think MoS sees Markle as a liability.

I find it interesting the MoS have decided to not settle this ‘out of court’ and instead will defend itself vigorously.

But I agree it won’t do anything to reduce the negative coverage but probably just add more fuel to the fire.

of course they will have a court case, what creates more headlines than this? And you have the royals out there actually commenting on it every step of the way. they don't care about the outcome, they want maximum coverage and will focus on their storyline, getting Thomas Markle back in the focus. Just imagine him testifying. There will be statements, interviews etc ... maybe Harry wants a judge who confirms that he agrees with him but on the other side so much gossip will be created, not sure that will help especially Meghan in any way.

of course they will have a court case, what creates more headlines than this? And you have the royals out there actually commenting on it every step of the way. they don't care about the outcome, they want maximum coverage and will focus on their storyline, getting Thomas Markle back in the focus. Just imagine him testifying. There will be statements, interviews etc ... maybe Harry wants a judge who confirms that he agrees with him but on the other side so much gossip will be created, not sure that will help especially Meghan in any way.

I think if the Sussexes win the case the positive effect will be to prevent or at least discourage people from shopping her or other royal letters around to tabloids, at least in the UK. That would be helpful.

MoS is basically accused of using falsified or altered content in a letter to portrayed Meghan in a bad light. Something tells me Tom Sr is going to be called to testify and explain what he sent to the Mail. I still think MoS sees Markle as a liability.

and there we go again! mr markle testifying will further feed the wolves. proves exactly my point that had H&M just kept a quieter profile on this (and many other issues), things would be different. let the circus continue.

There are so many lies or misinformation floating around - why can't the media accept that these two want to live private lifes when they are not working for the sake of other people?

private lives? are we serious here? they are part of the BRF. either you step down and lead a private life (with all its pros and cons), or you represent the BRF and lead a non public life (with all its pros and cons). they can't have their cake and eat it.

I don't want to twist your words carlota but all I got from your post is that had Harry and Meghan did what the press pack wanted then the attacks on them wouldn't have happened. That is a bit much. I mean that just proves Harry's point.

Also Kate wasn't attacked day in and day put throughput her pregnancies and maternity leave. That was Meghan. So yeah it was a bit quieter in that regard to the Cambridges due to that. I mean even some of the royal correspondents fully admit it has been overboard with Meghan.

Meghan and Harry aren't perfect but overall I have no issue with them suing the MoS and she doesn't have to "fix" anything Markle related. They are not in her life and haven't been for years. The media trying to use them against her is on them.

thanks for remaining polite, ACO. that's certainly a skill some in the forums need more of ?

as i see it, there is always a reason for things happening. why the attacks have happened or why they have happened on meghan and on harry and not on william and kate, is something for H&M to reflect on. things don't just happen and it takes 2 to tango.

mr markle has definitely been part of meghan's life until the wedding. he was invited and was going to walk her down the aisle until different arrangements had to be made.

Same here, I knew something like this was coming. It is about time, even though it was mainly focused on THAT LETTER. I think it is more than just about the letter. This woman was bullied non-stop after the announcement of her expecting. I have never heard or seen such a thing. Going after a expecting Mother at this level. Don't know how the court case will turn out. But, I am so Proud & happy that they are calling people out on their behavior.

Standing O:clap:??

I never seen a pregnant woman go through this either. Especially, a senior female member of the royal family. Meghan’s pregnancy was suppose to be a time of celebration and it was turned into something dark and sinister. The same thing could be said about her maternity leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
The constant bullying and lying of Meghan is despicable as Harry has said a couple of times now this is not a game....At some point you have to take a stand against it all and the Sussexes have said enough is enough, hence the lawsuit.

As for the timing who knows, there could have been legal deadlines and they postponed it as long as they could (so it wouldn't interfere with the majority of the tour). But honestly, the timing doesn't matter more than the fact that much of the BM has written stories often untrue or twisted on purpose that deliberately hurt people for no real reason. Those people need to be held accountable.

“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

The use of their own website and the comment about using “private funds” suggests to me that the Queen and others were informed just before or as it was happening. Likewise I suspect they would have had reservations about making the statement during an official tour.

Even if the court rules against the M o S using the letter it won't make any difference to critical reporting of the Sussex's going forward. The criticism of Meghan is what Harry really objects to but his lawyers must have advised that the letter was the only thing he could legally take the paper to court on. All the court case will do will be to drag the whole issue with her father back into the public domain and he might even be called as a witness. IMO it will descend into a very public dispute between Meghan and Thomas and the paper using the letter will be secondary in the reporting. I think the whole thing will be a circus and a mess and even if they win it won't achieve anything as I'm sure the media will have it in for them even more.

Last edited:
It's really been going on since the news broke they were dating. It's just increased as time has passed.

LaRae

It's really been going on since the news broke they were dating. It's just increased as time has passed.

LaRae

Very true. I’ll tell you — all of this is upsetting, because you could clearly see the ugly campaign brewing and snowballing, as you’ve said, as time passed. It seems like the media just expected this couple to just sit still and take the abuse on the chin. Sad.

Very true. I’ll tell you — all of this is upsetting, because you could clearly see the ugly campaign brewing and snowballing, as you’ve said, as time passed. It seems like the media just expected this couple to just sit still and take the abuse on the chin. Sad.

Makes you wonder if they had take a hard line long ago if it would of stopped the escalation...of course it remains to be seen if they back off.

LaRae

and there we go again! mr markle testifying will further feed the wolves. proves exactly my point that had H&M just kept a quieter profile on this (and many other issues), things would be different. let the circus continue.

private lives? are we serious here? they are part of the BRF. either you step down and lead a private life (with all its pros and cons), or you represent the BRF and lead a non public life (with all its pros and cons). they can't have their cake and eat it.

thanks for remaining polite, ACO. that's certainly a skill some in the forums need more of ?

as i see it, there is always a reason for things happening. why the attacks have happened or why they have happened on meghan and on harry and not on william and kate, is something for H&M to reflect on. things don't just happen and it takes 2 to tango.

mr markle has definitely been part of meghan's life until the wedding. he was invited and was going to walk her down the aisle until different arrangements had to be made.

They can’t keep a low profile and be working members of the BRF, and yes, even they are entitled to a certain amount of privacy. The are members of the BRF, none of them are public property.

Plenty of attacks have happened on William and Kate, seems you just forgot forgot about them. The press have just moved on to a new victim. The press behaves the way it does because it pays off and because no one forces them to stop.

Do we know just how close meghan and her father were before the wedding? They were close enough for her to invite him, but if I remember correctly Harry never met him in person. They can’t have been that close, so perhaps even before that things happened.

They can’t keep a low profile and be working members of the BRF, and yes, even they are entitled to a certain amount of privacy. The are members of the BRF, none of them are public property.

Plenty of attacks have happened on William and Kate, seems you just forgot forgot about them. The press have just moved on to a new victim. The press behaves the way it does because it pays off and because no one forces them to stop.

Do we know just how close meghan and her father were before the wedding? They were close enough for her to invite him, but if I remember correctly Harry never met him in person. They can’t have been that close, so perhaps even before that things happened.

Didn't Harry and Meghan release a statement after Thomas took his heart attack saying Meghan was sad that he couldn't walk her down the aisle? Then that was it, she totally cut him off. The whole situation is inexplicable but maybe we will learm more during the court case.

Last edited:
I think one thing we need to keep in mind during all this is that its not the slurs, the demeaning or the plain made up lies that Meghan has been bombarded with ever since her relationship with Harry became known, but the important factor right now is that the lawyers have focused something that has a good chance of winning a lawsuit.

Didn't Harry and Meghan release a statement after Thomas took his heart attack saying Meghan was sad that he couldn't walk her down the aisle? Then that was it, she totally cut him off. The whole situation is inexplicable but maybe we will learm more during the court case.

What was she supposed to do? It was 48 hours or less before her wedding and he was telling TMZ his plans, which changed almost daily, but not picking up the phone to her to talk it though - by his own admission. The announcement said Prince Charles had been asked to step in and was delighted and they wished her father well and hoped to see him after the wedding.

We know from the letter she was trying to sort things out privately but he sold her out again for money with that and details of private conversations he'd had with Harry etc. The public didn't need to be given official updates of them trying to mend their relationship and Thomas Markle ensured it stayed broken by his own actions.

What was she supposed to do? It was 48 hours or less before her wedding and he was telling TMZ his plans, which changed almost daily, but not picking up the phone to her to talk it though - by his own admission. The announcement said Prince Charles had been asked to step in and was delighted and they wished her father well and hoped to see him after the wedding.

We know from the letter she was trying to sort things out privately but he sold her out again for money with that and details of private conversations he'd had with Harry etc. The public didn't need to be given official updates of them trying to mend their relationship and Thomas Markle ensured it stayed broken by his own actions.

It was a bit weird which is why I wondered what their relationship was like before it all happened. Behaviour like this doesn’t fall from the sky. I cut off all contact with my sister and that was years in the making and after a million irritations.

I can’t blame for making that choice and there’s a chance I would have made the same one.

Can I just put a note in here folks, on behalf of everyone, can we be mindful of what this thread is about.

I really don’t want another Sussex thread shut down on an almost daily basis because off topic comments get picked out, out of context.

I’ve got my fingers and my toes crossed for this thread as it’s quite crystal clear as to what is happening.

Why are so many people (including Harry) focusing on the fact that Meghan was pregnant and now a new mother? Wouldn't all of this be equally bad had she not been pregnant and had a child? I don't think he would have been fine with it in that case either... And they had negative press prior to her maternity leave as well, so, I didn't have the impression it was getting worse because of lesser visibility.

I think one thing we need to keep in mind during all this is that its not the slurs, the demeaning or the plain made up lies that Meghan has been bombarded with ever since her relationship with Harry became known, but the important factor right now is that the lawyers have focused something that has a good chance of winning a lawsuit.

Agreed. While Harry's statement was much broader, for the court case (by Meghan - not Harry) they picked something that is more easily to proof and something they think has the highest chance of winning.

I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

I've read theories that Harry actually timed this to be released during the tour so that the coverage of the tour would detract members of the public from this whole MoS case. However, if Harry wants the public to know how much the MoS has affected him and his family, then this theory doesn't seem to make much sense as so far we've heard more about his statement than about the tour. Tonight on the BBC news, the broadcaster mentioned the tour straight away after the MoS, as people are clearly more interested in the latter.

Makes you wonder if they had take a hard line long ago if it would of stopped the escalation...of course it remains to be seen if they back off.

I really don't think there's anything M&H could have done differently. They've been responding with such grace and poise under tremendous pressure and harsh negativity from a number of quarters that has been simply disgusting and inexcusable. We have no idea of the behind-the-scenes tensions and daily pressures they've been dealing with, but we are aware of the harsh stories, whether or not we've clicked on them. Personally, I chose a long time ago to not click on the Daily Fail. I look for pictures and more responsible reporting elsewhere. The days are over when the royals should be expected to sit back and take it, or else under the barrage of media ploys and threats cough up access and play the media's game.

As you noted in a previous post, the negative reporting and harassment of Meghan, her friends and many of her family members (estranged and non-estranged) has been going on since the story M&H were dating was first publicized in October 2016. This revelation came from the same reporter who smeared Meghan last November for 'supporting terrorism' because Meghan harmlessly and graciously met with the women of the Hubb community kitchen at their mosque (to follow-up on how the Together cookbook had benefited their community outreach efforts).

In fact, Harry did take a hard line long ago. Let's remember that after it was revealed M&H were dating, Harry took a very considerable hard line (on November 8, 2016) when KP released Harry's unprecedented statement cautioning the media to back off. The words Harry was behind then: "This is not a game, it's her life and his..." are reiterated in Harry's recent statement which this time he personally puts forward himself front and center: https://sussexofficial.uk/

I have often reviewed the Harry/Meghan engagement interview. For me, it's all there in living color: They told us who they are and what they hope to do in the world to make a positive difference. And they also told us that they were prepared to face challenges together. Throughout the interview, they displayed such a deep and passionate love for each other, for building a productive and happy life together, and for 'lifting as they climb.'

For all those questioning timing, the legalities of such questions have been answered already. What I have to say about timing is this: IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I stand with the Duke & Duchess of Sussex! I stand with the Queen of Great Britain & the Commonwealth and I stand with all responsible, caring human beings vs the sad, contemptuous and broken elements of the British and global media. Those journalists who truly support and represent accurate and fair journalism should also be standing in solidarity with a young man who is, with admirable integrity and courage, trying to protect his family's safety and privacy.

Last edited:
I've read theories that Harry actually timed this to be released during the tour so that the coverage of the tour would detract members of the public from this whole MoS case. However, if Harry wants the public to know how much the MoS has affected him and his family, then this theory doesn't seem to make much sense as so far we've heard more about his statement than about the tour. Tonight on the BBC news, the broadcaster mentioned the tour straight away after the MoS, as people are clearly more interested in the latter.

Yes I have to agree with you Hereditary Princess. IMO It would have been better to release the announcement regarding their legal action when they returned to the UK. That way there would have been no distractions from the tour.

There were no distractions from the tour, aside from those manufactured by reporters after announcement of the legal action.

The final day was just as moving and meaningful as all the other days. Go check it out in the South Africa Tour thread. ? Meghan gave a very resonant and powerful speech, speaking from the heart. As well, earlier in the day, the below words from Harry in Tembisa, thanking the countries and the people they visited, are just as powerful as the words in his statement announcing legal action against the Daily Mail:

We will firmly stand up for what we believe. We are fortunate enough to have a position that gives us amazing opportunities, and we will do everything we can to play our part in building a better world. We will always seek to challenge injustice and to speak out for those who may feel unheard. So no matter your background, your nationality, your age or gender, your sexuality or your physical ability; no matter your circumstance or the color of your skin, we believe in you. And we intend to spend our entire lives making sure that you have the opportunity to succeed and change the world.”

Last edited:
“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

DM is trying to say Charles and William were broadsided on this announcement. No comment from BP, most likely because it's an active case. The hit dog that is DM is hollering and it's scared. Continuing the hit pieces proves Harry's argument and the stories could probably be used as evidence in court. The Sussexes made their statements and gone quiet. DM is trying this in the court of public opinion and it may backfire on it.

Not surprised by that. The papers fought against Charles hard as well and lost. They will always fight because their it always a chance they can win though it is likely slim. To not fight and to quickly settle in many minds is an admission of guilt.

Well many have a very real opinions on why the attacks have happened on Meghan (and Harry at times) since the day she was revealed to be his girlfriend. I mean it is really no secret why many feel the press have piled on her and the fact a lot of the papers have had to issue retractions and they even settled a different lawsuit recently kind of provides more proof of it.

As for the claim Thomas Markle had been in her life... had he? Do we really know that because honestly the more I dig the more I doubt it. I remember combing through her social medias. Her father was not an active participant in the major moments of her life. Her mother was though. She referenced him here and there and would give him shoutouts on father's day or holiday, but overall? He was kind of nonexistent in her life it seems.

Also the fact that Harry has not met him to this day kind of confirms it. I don't know many people who wouldn't introduce their significant other to their parents. He was even kind of a footnote in the engagement interview. A passing comment as you may. Heck even when it was revealed he was not walking her down the aisle her statement to the press was fascinating. She choose her words "I have always cared for my father" very carefully. I always found that statement telling.

We never questioned Doria's attendance to the wedding but we were still wondering for days leading up if Thomas would even attend. I also found that odd. It seemed to me that the relationship has always been strained but she was going to off that olive branch and then he screwed it up again. She wiped her hands of him very quickly which again tells me they were already not in a great place.

Now this letter is causing more issues and it will not go away anymore soon.

Last edited:
Agree with you and well put MiaiaMia_53. The hate campaign has been building to incomphrehensible levels since the relationship went public. Someone is behind it. It is orchestrated and methodical. I believe there is a real malevolent hate behind it. I cannot find any other logical explanation.

Even if one were to take the position of media just going hard for a story to earn a living, it still doesn't add up. A journalist or editor looking to make money is better placed to develop a relationship with their 'target'. Make deals, you give a little to get a little. The hate stories coming almost daily, the surreal twisting of facts and warping/whipping up of non-issues like hair, dress buttons and shoes makes no sense from a business standpoint. It only fits if you add someone with a vendetta who was willing to sanction personal attacks on a unprecedented level.

I don't know who or why but I know that it exists. I will be following the story to see exactly what uglyness is exposed.

I think you are right @BorgQueen. There's a lot going on, on a number of levels. Harry's last paragraph in his statement shot straight to my heart:

"We thank you, the public, for your continued support. It is hugely appreciated. Although it may not seem like it, we really need it."

I've always felt that Harry has been adamant about protecting Meghan (and now of course Archie too) because he knows the pitfalls of life as a royal, and he's been anxious and concerned due to having painfully witnessed how his mother suffered and died. Had the media responded over the past several years with better professionalism, courtesy and fairness, Harry might have been more forthcoming all along with allowing a bit more access and giving more interviews even during the South Pacific tour.

Seemingly, Harry held back and was cautiously over-protective mostly because of the vicious, baseless attacks and made-up stories, not to mention the death threats they have received from sick members of the public. After the success of the South Pacific tour, the press turned in an even nastier direction, which became the point of no return -- the Ground Zero in this battle which must be waged.

What I find incredibly despicable are the media talking heads, apologists, and pundits who are trying to blame social media trolls for all the hate against the Sussexes. They need to drop that run-for-cover tactic, post-haste. It won't work.

Last edited:
Not surprised by that. The papers fought against Charles hard as well and lost. They will always fight because their it always a chance they can win though it is likely slim. To not fight and to quickly settle in many minds is an admission of guilt.

Well many have a very real opinions on why the attacks have happened on Meghan (and Harry at times) since the day she was revealed to be his girlfriend. I mean it is really no secret why many feel the press have piled on her and the fact a lot of the papers have had to issue retractions and they even settled a different lawsuit recently kind of provides more proof of it.

As for the claim Thomas Markle had been in her life... had he? Do we really know that because honestly the more I dig the more I doubt it. I remember combing through her social medias. Her father was not an active participant in the major moments of her life. Her mother was though. She referenced him here and there and would give him shoutouts on father's day or holiday, but overall? He was kind of nonexistent in her life it seems.

Also the fact that Harry has not met him to this day kind of confirms it. I don't know many people who wouldn't introduce their significant other to their parents. He was even kind of a footnote in the engagement interview. A passing comment as you may. Heck even when it was revealed he was not walking her down the aisle her statement to the press was fascinating. She choose her words "I have always cared for my father" very carefully. I always found that statement telling.

We never questioned Doria's attendance to the wedding but we were still wondering for days leading up if Thomas would even attend. I also found that odd. It seemed to me that the relationship has always been strained but she was going to off that olive branch and then he screwed it up again. She wiped her hands of him very quickly which again tells me they were already not in a great place.

Now this letter is causing more issues and it will not go away anymore soon.

Some missing facts though, ACO. Meghan's dad and mother released a joint statement for the engagement through KP. KP confirmed that he would be walking her down the aisle early on (but the media loved the drama of doing the will he or won't he, again deciding that settled fact didn't fit their agenda). Meghan has credited her father with a great deal and talked about him articles and interviews. Moreover, her first initial statement when all the wedding drama hit was very, very emotional. Her second statement, what you referenced, was more distant.

Now, I personally think they had a very on/off relationship fraught with difficulties. I tend to think Thomas was perhaps not always the best dad emotionally from tidbits we have gleaned and perhaps even played the siblings off each other. I have detailed my thoughts about their relationship on threads before and I am wary about what the moderating boundaries are on discussing him in this thread. But at the time of the engagement, they seemed to be "on" and Thomas must have been on a prolonged period of decent behavior. Alas, it didn't last.

Valentine Low's article in the Times (an article that lays out a lot of information but somehow comes to some puzzling conclusions) heavily implies that Meghan and Harry blame the media for her father's antics, not her father necessarily. Low claims that reporters literally rented the houses next to Thomas and found ways to manipulate him and continued to do so for months---despite the pleas and actions taken by Harry and Meghan to stop the press. This lawsuit is really in response to the lines the media crossed with using Markle Sr that upset Meghan and Harry.

I expect, unfortunately, this lawsuit will bring Thomas Sr out of whatever hole he is currently hiding in. The DM may even call him as a witness should it go to trial just to cause further pain to Meghan.

All in all, as Harry himself said, this wasn't the safest action even if it was the right one :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom