Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why some folks are getting so upset. We’re going to get the announcement of Meghan going into labor, we’re going to get the announcement of the baby’ Birth and we’re going to get a photocall at Windsor. The only difference is that we’re not getting the coverage outside the hospital. Seems like a great plan to me.

begins and ends with if the child is healthy

I did, and it does.. other 'fans' are desperate to see this child [not least your compatriots], even if i'm not.
It just seems oddly 'retiring' of a woman SO used to courting publicity, and [presumably] one inured to flash photography and crowds, to suddenly be so coy..
But [as I said] it is absolutely her right..

I did, and it does.. other 'fans' are desperate to see this child [not least your compatriots], even if i'm not.
It just seems oddly 'retiring' of a woman SO used to courting publicity, and [presumably] one inured to flash photography and crowds, to suddenly be so coy..
I think dont being used to being in the spotlight naturally equates to you wanting to stand in front of hundreds of photographers after giving birth.

As it is, Meghan isn't acting shy or retiring. The public will get to meet the new baby in what is arguably a much more personal and intimate way with the photo-call in their own garden.

Its certainly different, but it is a compromise.

It's her body, her birth and her baby. If she doesn't want to stand in front of photographers just mere hours after pushing a human being out of her womb, more power to her. It's ridiculous she is basically being bullied into doing something that doesn't sit well with her.

:previous: This x1000000000!

Just because she's giving birth to a royal child does not mean she loses the ability of choice. It's Meghan's body going through the miracle of birth. It's her choice on her recovery.

I had only wished Catherine did the same, because it would have sent a very clear message that even the future Queen consort will not bow to a pathetic made-up tradition and not succumb to the want of a media circus who are suffering from extreme entitlement.

And yet I've not seen my compatriot express nearly the upset. And given we now have more information on the actual plans, we will see as much as we saw of the Cambridge children, but in a less chaotic way. I'm also a bit tired of being used as the reason why others think Sussexes are wrong (because the fans will be so upset). We are ok with this actually.

As for courting publicity, she courts publicity as much as any member of the BRF who conducts engagements.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s just sounds like entitlement to me. The Sussexes are doing the same thing just on a smaller scale. They not keeping anything from anyone. People acting like they own this baby which is ridiculous.

I don't disagree. The question was why are some of the press/people are annoyed, and the simple answer is because it's not what they were expecting, or are used to, and the result is irritation. The BRF do so, so many things as a matter of tradition, so when there's a change, there's always an outcry. And then the new thing becomes the new norm, and we all move on.

Last edited:
I don’t get why this is even an issue. There’s still a photo call, it’s just a couple of days later. Who cares. IMO of course.

Not too long ago people were upset when they thought all they’d get was a photo on instagram. Well what people are actually getting is far more than just a private photo.

I don’t get why this is even an issue. There’s still a photo call, it’s just a couple of days later. Who cares. IMO of course.

Not too long ago people were upset when they thought all they’d get was a photo on instagram. Well what people are actually getting is far more than just a private photo.

Meghan and Harry are much better people than I, because after seeing today’s reaction, I’d be printing a retraction tomorrow and would only release a IG photo with only half of the baby’s head and none their face visible.

Then again I’m a private person.

I’m thrilled for Meghan. The whole presentation is completely ridiculous considering what women go through during delivery. The press op in the gardens will be a nice backdrop for the presentation. I hope Omid is chosen as the RR and their wedding photographer for the pictures.

I don’t know why some folks are getting so upset. We’re going to get the announcement of Meghan going into labor, we’re going to get the announcement of the baby’ Birth and we’re going to get a photocall at Windsor. The only difference is that we’re not getting the coverage outside the hospital. Seems like a great plan to me.

Exactly. I love it, especially the personal touch of having the photocall at Windsor. With the way some people are taking this news, I have much more respect for Meghan for being bold enough to try something different and go with what best works for her. Now I look forward to the birth day, finally meeting Baby Sussex and learning his or her name.

The pictures will probably be prettier with the Windsor backdrop vs hospital steps and doors. I’d consider this a plus. And they only have to wait a couple of days for it.

I really fail to see a downside here.

I’m thrilled for Meghan. The whole presentation is completely ridiculous considering what women go through during delivery. I hope Omid is chosen as the RR and their wedding photographer for the pictures.

Doubt it, Omid is not a PA reporter.

Giving birth at Lindo and doing photo call was a choice. The Queen gave birth to Charles (future King) at home.

Of course it was a choice. I never stated it wasn't. They went with the choice that was expected of them as the future King and Queen. Expectations 70 years ago, when Charles was born, were different. Likewise, Philip skipped his son's birth because that was the practice then. But now the expectation is different and fathers (including Royal fathers) attend their children's birth.

Of course it was a choice. I never stated it wasn't. They went with the choice that was expected of them as the future King and Queen. Expectations 70 years ago, when Charles was born, were different. Likewise, Philip skipped his son's birth because that was the practice then. But now the expectation is different and fathers (including Royal fathers) attend their children's birth.

If expectations can change then, I’m sure they are capable today as well. And frankly, the only expectations that matter here are those of the parents’ as they will raise the child and Meghan will be the one pushing it out.

Even if she has the ambulance on stand by, anything can happen. There are situations where the baby needs to be taken out immediately ie. in less than ten minutes.

Exactly-my boss was a first time older mother a few years ago. Her pregnancy was uneventful, but the baby was born by emergency c-section within minutes of arriving at the hospital in labor. They had to knock her out--there wasn't even time for local anthesthetic.

I don't get all the issues with this. I actually think we are getting the best option :flowers:

Sorry but what is so great about the hospital photo op? A short glance of the baby and an exhausted mom for a few cameras, and then whisked off. Then we wait until a proper photo is released. Not even a descent shot of the baby from the hospital.

Instead we will get a photo call at Windsor, when both mom and baby are recovered more from labor. And likely a much better shot of the baby. Not the crowds of reporters, but a select few so not such an intrusion on the baby.

And hopefully a photo or few either before or after. I could see a private photo snapped by mom and dad on IG and maybe a few official ones. Maybe baby with his/her big brothers of the furry variety.:cool:

If expectations can change then, I’m sure they are capable today as well.

Yes, but that's what I pointed out in my post. Expectations in 1948 (when Charles was born) are different than expectations today. It was expected that the Cambridges present their each newborn child to the world in a photo call, just as William's parents did, and they dutifully complied. I don't think for one minute Catherine enjoyed the whole media circus, but as the future Queen Consort, and the mother of a future King, she did what was expected of her.

The press expects Harry and Meghan to do the same and the fact that they have chosen not to has given them yet another excuse to slam them (especially Meghan), unfair as it is.

And frankly, the only expectations that matter here are those of the parents’ as they will raise the child and Meghan will be the one pushing it out.
I agree, and in IMO as junior royals Harry and Meghan shouldn't even be held to the same expectations as William and Catherine. They aren't the future King and Queen and their child won't be a future monarch. And if they decide to raise their children more privately than the Cambridge children it makes sense to begin that process at birth.

Last edited:
I wonder who then are the possible PA reporters for the photo call. Maybe Mishal Husian, the reporter who did the engagement interview? Is there another possibility?

My understanding is that the royals don’t get to choose. There is a roster of PA reporters and photographers and the job goes to the one who is next on the list whenever the baby is born.

Last edited:
I suspect that the issue is that the photo call will not be handled in the expected way. The expected way is the parents appearing at the hospital, either for a full on photo-op, or being snapped on the way out. I'm sure everyone will adjust to the new rules of engagement, but it is a change, so therefore the grumbling.

There's no rule that the Sussexes had to do things the expected way, but it's also not surprising that doing things their own way results in some commentary, negative or positive.

I agree with your assessment. We've had photos of Anne, Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Kate leaving the hospital with their babies for over 40 years now. So the expectation was there. I know I am disappointed personally, but I'll get over it.;) I do think it has gotten crazier--the media presence at the Cambridge births was over the top.

I am glad the Sussexes made a public announcement of their plan.

Last edited:
Roya was on The Royal Rota saying she thinks Meghan is doing a home birth. That seems to be the consensus among many of the royal reporters. So if that has been the plan then we were never going to get that moment on the steps.

I guess I don't see the big issue. I could understand if no image was being presented by there will be public pictures and videos sent out to everyone. BP confirmed they will tell the public when Meghan is going into labour.

What else do people want? This child is the 7th in line and not even a HRH. This way is fitting.

I had only wished Catherine did the same, because it would have sent a very clear message that even the future Queen consort will not bow to a pathetic made-up tradition and not succumb to the want of a media circus who are suffering from extreme entitlement.

I imagine Kate did it the way she wanted to. Just like Meghan should be allowed to do it the way she wants.

No royal woman should be required to stand in front of the world after giving birth, nor should they be criticized if that's what they chose to do.

People who are upset about Meghan's plans will get over it. No one should dictate how a woman chooses to handle the birth of their child. It's up to them. Whether that means a private presentation with only one media outlet, or a presentation on the steps of a hospital. There is no wrong or right way, it's up to the mother. They alone should be the one deciding what is best for them and their child.

Last edited:
Roya was on The Royal Rota saying she thinks Meghan is doing a home birth. That seems to be the consensus among many of the royal reporters. So if that has been the plan then we were never going to get that moment on the steps.

I guess I don't see the big issue. I could understand if no image was being presented by there will be public pictures and videos sent out to everyone. BP confirmed they will tell the public when Meghan is going into labour.

What else do people want? This child is the 7th in line and not even a HRH. This way is fitting.

This baby will very likely become HRH when Charles is king, not that that's really relevant here, as other royal women whose children were not HRH have done the same as Kate. I think the problem is that some are just upset that Meghan and Harry are doing things their way and not giving the access that is normally expected. And then there are those who would criticize them no matter what they decided.

Personally, I prefer what we are hearing about how this birth will unfold over what we have seen the last few decades. Sounds more sensible and modern to me.

Last edited:
https://www.rand.org/blog/2019/04/meghan-markle-may-avoid-the-spotlight-after-giving.html
This was obviously written before today’s news confirming no photocall, but the writer raises valid points, IMO. I’ve long thought parading a made up, coiffed, heels wearing woman shortly after giving birth was cruel and sent a very negative message that women are objects and trivialized the very painful and dangerous business that giving birth is. Kudos to Harry and Meghan for refusing to perform like trick ponies.

I wish the reason they were waiting was the fact she’s having twins. I want twins!

I think it's unfair to dismiss the disappointment of people who were hoping for a public appearance. Besides the press, there were a lot of ordinary people who went to the Lindo Wing to see the Cambridge babies in person and "feel a part of the joy of a new baby".

And that's not unreasonable to want, because as much as these two humans as "Meghan and Harry" are private people, they also embody the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and exist within a particular structure of mutual obligations. The nation agrees that the Duke and Duchess are able to live *very* comfortably in beautiful surroundings, do relatively little work compared to the average Joe working a 40-60 hour work week, and largely pursue things that interest them. In return, the Duke and Duchess, as part of the institution of the monarchy, exist as symbols for the nation; they pursue philanthropic issues and there is a very reasonable expectation that they be seen. So yes, if the average Londoner was really hoping to go to the hospital and demonstrate their support and joy for the new baby, it's churlish to completely deny them a sense of disappointment.

"Meghan and Harry" will always be in conflict with "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". That's just part of the bargain.

Maybe this is an effort to deny the press their crazed coverage. But the people who're actually going to be saddened by this will be the average people who just wish Harry and Meghan happy, and I think that's a bit sad.

Last edited:
I think the other reason for the saltiness is the controlled environment for this photo call. The line of questioning is controlled: no gotcha questions about the Cambridges and the Markles.

You never know.. Baby Sussex may not get that much media attention.. except perhaps in the US...

I don't think it will be that big a deal in the U.S. Meghan is in the tabloids, but most people aren't paying any attention at all.

Wonderful news from the Sussexes, I’m happy that they will announce further information about their baby when they’re ready, on their terms.

Hoping that Meghan will have a safe labour & delivery wherever she chooses. Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are a terrific, intelligent couple and have accomplished so much in such a brief time together. Reasonable people will understand that a couple making a positive choice for their family is a good thing.

I think it's unfair to dismiss the disappointment of people who were hoping for a public appearance. Besides the press, there were a lot of ordinary people who went to the Lindo Wing to see the Cambridge babies in person and "feel a part of the joy of a new baby".

And that's not unreasonable to want, because as much as these two humans as "Meghan and Harry" are private people, they also embody the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and exist within a particular structure of mutual obligations. The nation agrees that the Duke and Duchess are able to live *very* comfortably in beautiful surroundings, do relatively little work compared to the average Joe working a 40-60 hour work week, and largely pursue things that interest them. In return, the Duke and Duchess, as part of the institution of the monarchy, exist as symbols for the nation; they pursue philanthropic issues and there is a very reasonable expectation that they be seen. So yes, if the average Londoner was really hoping to go to the hospital and demonstrate their support and joy for the new baby, it's churlish to completely deny them a sense of disappointment.

"Meghan and Harry" will always be in conflict with "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". That's just part of the bargain.

Maybe this is an effort to deny the press their crazed coverage. But the people who're actually going to be saddened by this will be the average people who just wish Harry and Meghan happy, and I think that's a bit sad.

The few people with the day off to stand around waiting for the baby, may be saddened. But the majority of people will have their fill, with a proper photo call and the pictures that will be released.

Its not like they are making this a private event. Its not like they are not sharing the baby with the public. They know they and the baby have a place to fill. But they are just doing it in their own way. With a controlled photo call and picture release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom