Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO its not so much that Meghan is wrong is that Meghan is thumbing her nose at these royal traditions/rules/etiquette. When in fact...they are not so much royal rules of etiquette. Just personal preference.

And I will use this chance to point out how differently they write the articles. In the articles about Diana, it's a clash between the two, and neither were really framed as right or wrong. However, these days, Meghan is always in the wrong if she wants to do something. Diana and Queen disagreed with the then Princess of Wales wanting to go to a hospital in case something wrong, but Meghan is being blamed as she's delivering an "astonishing snub". The tone does matter.

I disagree. In the article it says that Diana is breaking a royal tradition and then ends by saying that the Queen can only expect the clashes to heat up - which makes it sound like Diana is being difficult.

The bottom line is that they shouldn't be writing articles trying to shame how a woman chooses to give birth. Be it Meghan, Diana or any other royal bride.

Yes, it's all horribly familiar. I haven't been commenting much on these types of stories because they are all rehashes from other royal brides, and as ridiculous now as they have been in the past.

Yep. So agree.

Last edited:
I disagree. In the article it says that Diana is breaking a royal tradition and then ends by saying that the Queen can only expect the clashes to heat up - which makes it sound like Diana is being difficult.

The bottom line is that they shouldn't be writing articles about how a woman chooses to give birth.

I didn't get the feeling they are pushing the narrative as Diana is difficult at all. In fact, it just seemed like two women who have their own opinion and faults disagreeing. In fact, it was the Queen who "snubbed", not the other way around. The narrative on who is at fault was certainly a lot more balanced and even understanding. Nor did she get called unnecessarily extravagant for wanting to go to a hospital as it'll cost more.

Yes, some of the stories or issues are just retreads but let's be honest....if you have never followed the royals..these stories are new to you and probably true.

Let's face it...everytime a new bride enters the royal family they manage to capture the attention of people who never followed the royals before. Its happened with Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Sarah, Kate and now Meghan. Everytime there is a royal engagement/wedding we get a new slew of members. They don't know that a lot of this stuff has happened before because they never cared to follow it. It didn't matter than.

My mother is a new royal watcher despite the fact that I have been one since 1981 (this is the same lady who bought me books about royal weddings, bios, etc.) and she is coming to me with the stuff like...about certain people not liking Meghan or the attention that Meghan has attracted. I have had to point out that Kate, Camilla, etc have had the same treatment to some extent.

Even royal watchers like myself, now that you referenced this article...is ringing some type of bell but its been long time!

Either way, we will see when the baby is born on which article is the telling the truth.

My mother is a new royal watcher despite the fact that I have been one since 1981 (this is the same lady who bought me books about royal weddings, bios, etc.) and she is coming to me with the stuff like...about certain people not liking Meghan or the attention that Meghan has attracted. I have had to point out that Kate, Camilla, etc have had the same treatment to some extent.

I think the key words here are "to some extent". I get that every royal spouse, particularly women, get treated badly, but there does seem to be an extra layer of nastiness when it comes to Meghan without much action from her needed. And I thought maybe it's just me, but I've seen royal historians calling it out more and more. Kate Williams was on TV talking about it just the other day, and Marlene Koenig, who has not only followed the royals but covered them at times, also commented on this for VF.

I do think they have all been treated the same to some extent. The big differences are race and nationality. I also think social media has played a bigger role than it did with Kate and maybe that's why we are more aware of it because of people linking twitter, instagram, etc.

Being a member of TRF I recall some of the issues but I don't remember social media having that much of an impact with Kate as it has with Meghan.

I do wonder about the source for all these articles. I mean Kensington Palace has been busy but they can't deny, confirm everything...they would never get anything done. And now everyone is royal expert!

But to get back on topic, I guess we will see where Meghan has her baby when she has the baby. And whether or not it will be at a Hospital in London or near Windsor. Whether or not the royal doctors will comment or they won't. And whether or not she and Harry will do a photo shot or they don't.

Yes, some of the stories or issues are just retreads but let's be honest....if you have never followed the royals..these stories are new to you and probably true.

Let's face it...everytime a new bride enters the royal family they manage to capture the attention of people who never followed the royals before. Its happened with Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Sarah, Kate and now Meghan. Everytime there is a royal engagement/wedding we get a new slew of members. They don't know that a lot of this stuff has happened before because they never cared to follow it. It didn't matter than.

Even royal watchers like myself, now that you referenced this article...is ringing some type of bell but its been long time!

Either way, we will see when the baby is born on which article is the telling the truth.

^ Exactly.

Many of the things that are being written about Meghan, are things that other royal brides had written about them. They're just repurposed to fit the royal. When the story about Meghan making Kate cry came out, I rolled my eyes because the tabloids wrote a similar story about Kate and Beatrice. That rumor lasted for years and is still repeated whenever the two of them are around one another.

I think one of the reasons that there is such an onslaught of negative stories about Meghan, is because she is so new to the royal world. Kate and Sophie dated their respective spouses for years, so the negative stories about them were spread out over time. Thus making it seem as if they were just welcomed into the royal fold by the media, but they weren't. The stories about them were nasty and mean. This isn't the thread to go into details, but the media didn't go easy on them at all. Now it's Meghan's turn. Of course she has had to deal with an extra layer of awful due to racism, but I don't think most of the negative stories are because of that. She is just unfortunately dealing with the same crap that others royal girlfriends and brides have faced before her.

We also have to remember that the tabloids (and the public) love chaos and drama - happy stories don't sell as well, so that's why the tabloids are just milking these stories about Meghan. In fact, people may complain about the tabloids, but they still click the links and share and discuss the stories. Which is exactly what the tabloids want.

I didn't get the feeling they are pushing the narrative as Diana is difficult at all. In fact, it just seemed like two women who have their own opinion and faults disagreeing. In fact, it was the Queen who "snubbed", not the other way around. The narrative on who is at fault was certainly a lot more balanced and even understanding. Nor did she get called unnecessarily extravagant for wanting to go to a hospital as it'll cost more.

I guess we see things differently.

But to get back on topic, I guess we will see where Meghan has her baby when she has the baby. And whether or not it will be at a Hospital in London or near Windsor. Whether or not the royal doctors will comment or they won't. And whether or not she and Harry will do a photo shot or they don't.

Yep...we'll definitely know soon enough. I'm just surprised that we haven't heard anything about the arrangements yet. I know in the past, the media was updated at least a month before the birth. That's why I'm leaning more towards a private hospital and no photo call. Or maybe something like what the Swedish and Danish royals do. Have the new dad come out and briefly speak to the media and then release an official photo a few days later.

Last edited:
I think that the age of social media is making it worse.... after all reporters are now taking tweets and post from random people and turning it into 'news' by writing articles about them.

That being said I still think Meghan is getting it much worse than any of the other royal brides (recently). Yes both Meghan and Kate were called difficult when staff quit. However, being called waity is one thing...being called vulgar, ghetto, 'exotic' and watering pure blood are all on a different level. I haven't seen reporters try to link Kate or others to terrorism like they did with Meghan and the Hub women. I haven't seen them try to link Kate to drought & murder even though she also likes avocado. Meghan wears a one shoulder dress and she is breaking some false protocol and Kate does the same thing and she is referred to as hollywood glamorous. Meghan does something were she shines then she is too hollywood and needs to know her place. Meghan is known for working behind the scenes and going to engagements prepared and suddenly that is a bad thing.

Meghan was even harassed for cradling her baby bump. While Kate when pregnant was called loving when she cradled her bump.

It is suspicious to me that most of this started after the baby announcement and a very successful tour where Meghan represented the Queen and the UK very well.

Then there is the constant gaslighting that PM and GMB did with Meghan claiming she ghosted him and her family... when they have treated her poorly from the beginning.

**Disclaimer I was too young to know much about Diana's treatment back when she first joined the family so I can't really comment on her situation.

Last edited:
I think that the age of social media is making it worse.... after all reporters are now taking tweets and post from random people and turning it into 'news' by writing articles about them.

That being said I still think Meghan is getting it much worse than any of the other royal brides (recently). Yes both Meghan and Kate were called difficult when staff quit. However, being called waity is one thing...being called vulgar, ghetto, 'exotic' and watering pure blood are all on a different level. I haven't seen reporters try to link Kate or others to terrorism like they did with Meghan and the Hub women. I haven't seen them try to link Kate to drought & murder even though she also likes avocado. Meghan wears a one shoulder dress and she is breaking some false protocol and Kate does the same thing and she is referred to as hollywood glamorous. Meghan does something were she shines then she is too hollywood and needs to know her place. Meghan is known for working behind the scenes and going to engagements prepared and suddenly that is a bad thing.

Meghan was even harassed for cradling her baby bump, while Kate when pregnant was called loving when she cradled her bump.

It is suspicious to me that most of this started after the baby announcement and a very successful tour where Meghan represented the Queen and the UK very well.

Then there is the constant gaslighting that PM and GMB did with Meghan claiming she ghosted him and her family... when they have treated her poorly from the beginning.

**Disclaimer I was too young to know much about Diana's treatment back when she first joined the family so I can't really comment on her situation.

Well said. This is nothing more than blatant racism.

I believe all the brides of royals have gotten flack for one thing or another. I believe social media is a lot to blame along with tabloid papers. Now everyone puts in their 2 cents on every subject and then things get blown all out of whack. I still remember very clearly when I was a teen in 1950s and Grace Kelly was marrying a prince. Coming from Philadelphia, where her family still lived, the media went wild, both loving it and others finding her an entertainment woman with low morals that "got him, you know how"! Nothing like what they are doing to Meghan or even Catherine but the common person didn't have a say back then as computers were not in everyone's home and they didn't feel that their opinions were needed or actually wanted. Internet a wonderful invention, but at times I believe it hurts people rather than helps.

The media weaponizing the Markles kept the vitriol going but they may not be as useful to the as before. On TLC last night there was a show about the baby and Samantha was recycling grievances. It was not a live show. The thing is the Sussexes has 4.4 million followers on Instagram; Samantha has 6800 followers on Twitter. After a 3 year smear campaign this shows this vast majority of the public doesn't believe her. That says the same for the tabloids and royal reporters. That gives me hope.

Let's move back onto the topic of the thread - discussion about the media, if necessary, can take place elsewhere. Thank you.

Sussex Baby Countdown Documentary-

Just catching up on some of the discussion and I'm perplexed that some think we won't see or hear anything about the birth until the Sussexes post a pic on social media. :ohmy: The odds of that happening are very, very low. I would not bet on it!

I think Meghan will give birth at a hospital, whether Lindo Wing or one in Windsor and I think we will get an update pretty soon. Exciting time now!

Last edited:

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby. Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."

It seems sensible to me - the circus surrounding William & Catherine's babies had become ridiculous & why put yourself through that if you don't have to.

I guess this decision was also done to protect the baby from Meghans paternal family.

Tis their right, but won't please their adoring fans here, or elsewhere.. who are already 'kicking off' on social media...

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby. Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."

Well done! I am glad Harry and Meghan have decided this and made their will known. Very mature. This sends a powerful message to everyone - the Sussexes are a team and will do things their way.

I applaud them.

It is a good and pragmatic decision to have been made on their part and I am glad they have taken control of the situation and doing things in a way that they are happy with.

As regards to social media reaction to the decision, it is irrelevant - with the exception of TRF discussion here!

Some people who follow them here and elsewhere will be disappointed but most dismayed of all I bet are the London tabloids, who expected a big pay-off from this baby with tons of articles featuring all the details about mum and baby.

I'm a supporter of the Sussexes, and I'm glad this couple aren't giving the tabloids, that have continuously slammed them day after day for months in hundreds of nasty and negative articles, what they want. They can wait for photos on Twitter like everyone else.

Tis their right, but won't please their adoring fans here, or elsewhere.. who are already 'kicking off' on social media...

I'm actually seeing the opposite. Most 'fans' are happy or understanding of the decision. Who really aren't happy are the press. They are the ones who seem upset on social media.

Last edited:
It is normal for this to happen because Harry and Meghan Markle's baby will not in future have the importance of the children of the Dukes of Cambridge. But the baby can be born at any moment so we will have to be attentive to social networks to know news.

As a royal watcher and 'fan', I'm happy about this decision. No mother should have to put up with a media circus mere hours after one of the most if not the most traumatic experience they will face.

As posters here have been saying, the media (including Chris Ship and his colleagues) are miffed. No photos, articles that they were hoping for straight after the birth, and after months of them attacking the couple in article after article. I think it's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom