Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings. Some (much?) of the press are being jerks and few deserve any favors. But Harry and Meghan are in positions of great privilege and I think they do owe their grandmother's subjects something. People are interested. And if the Royal Family spurn the public they might as well let Britain cease being a Constitutional Monarchy.

Good thing press is no longer needed for such things in the social media age. Just saying.

Around three (maximum - five) weeks to welcoming baby Sussex!

Three weeks would have it last full week of April. It seems more likely 2-4 weeks, a bit longer if she is over due.

I have mixed feelings. Some (much?) of the press are being jerks and few deserve any favors. But Harry and Meghan are in positions of great privilege and I think they do owe their grandmother's subjects something. People are interested in the baby. It is a happy occasion that people want to celebrate. If the Royal Family spurn the public they might as well let Britain cease being a Constitutional Monarchy

The reality is many of the queen's subjects don't read mainstream media anyways. If photos were released on social media people would be just as happy. Especially if they got better then just the baby's face as they come out. The only one upset will be the media who will be out a pay cheque.

I agree with everyone that the lack of permit/no logical briefing/recent move to Windsor suggest the William-Kate approach won’t be happening.

While it’s possible they’ll simply opt to post something on Instagram, M&H could also provide a small press event a few days after the birth. They wouldn’t need to obtain permits for the entire month if their plan is to hold something 2-4 days after the birth. Staff can arrange a press event while mom, dad, and baby are resting.

Remember it wasn't just the William and Kate 'approach'.

The whole expectation of a country was on it. Especially for Prince George. This was the first royal birth since Eugenie. We had a month of the #greatkatewait. Literally hundreds of media organisations camped out in front of the Lindo Wing.

As with everything to do with Harry and Meghan, they have much more latitude.

I disagree about social media being adequate. The demographic with the highest percentage of support of the monarchy are the Baby Boomers and elderly.

And those people are not on Instagram.

The royals still need to play to the audience who get their papers delivered; they can't afford to throw that support away just yet.

I disagree about social media being adequate. The demographic with the highest percentage of support of the monarchy are the Baby Boomers and elderly.

The royals still need to play to the audience who get their papers delivered; they can't afford to throw that support away just yet.

Whether something gets published in papers has nothing to do with if there is a photo call or official photo released through social media.

Thanks. Their positions of exquisite privilege mandate notice by and attention of the papers of record in the U.K.

To introduce Baby Sussex to the world release the first picture on sussexroyal. A few days later a presser with the legitimate media: BBC, London Times, Guardian. The US is represented by the New York Times , the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times (Meghan's hometown paper). The historic nature of the birth would be the draw. Royal reporters and the tabloids that thrashed Meghan are out, so are TV shows whose talking heads were nasty. Location: Windsor Castle.

You may be shocked at just how many baby boomers and grandparents are on social media. Great way to keep in contact with their grandkids.

And for those who aren't...… We know the press like the DM likes to use social media as a source anyways. Just means they will have second hand photos instead of flashing cameras in the face of the couple.

Lets not kid ourself. The media is not going to boycott the story in a temper tantrum that the couple don't do a photo shoot. They will borrow photos wherever they can get them. Even from social media.

And no the elderly and baby boomers are not who they have to 'play to' anymore. They need to get the support of the younger generation now.

Not that the baby is a tool to 'play to the public' anyways.

To introduce Baby Sussex to the world release the first picture on sussexroyal. A few days later a presser with the legitimate media: BBC, London Times, Guardian. The US is represented by the New York Times , the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times (Meghan's hometown paper). The historic nature of the birth would be the draw. Royal reporters and the tabloids that thrashed Meghan are out, so are TV shows whose talking heads were nasty. Location: Windsor Castle.

If they were to go that route you can rule out an American paper. Giving the exclusive to one paper is one thing, but to a foreign paper? No, if this was the case, it will be a British source.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Harry and Meghan will want everyone to join them in this celebration of welcoming their first baby in this world.

While it’s possible they’ll simply opt to post something on Instagram, M&H could also provide a small press event a few days after the birth. They wouldn’t need to obtain permits for the entire month if their plan is to hold something 2-4 days after the birth. Staff can arrange a press event while mom, dad, and baby are resting.

I think so. They may opt for something similar to what the Scandinavians did, having a short press event by the new dad, and releasing a couple of photo later.

If they are going to be in Windsor. I don’t see why they have to do it outside of the hospital. They could do it on Windsor grounds. That way, they don’t have to close off street and disrupt other patients. Granted, there is always a chance that someone can snap the first photos with their cell phone as they are leaving.

We are all just speculating. The fact of the matter is, this couple has shown they keep certain things close to the chest, and while they aren’t always successful at it, they are pretty good at it. Which is why some stories get a side eye.

If they were to go that route you can rule out an American paper. Giving the exclusive to one paper is one thing, but to a foreign paper? No, if this was the case, it will be a British source.

I read it as give the access to selection of media that’s reputable. Not exclusive to just one paper. NBC was also given one of the prime spots when they came out of the hospital with George according to Marlene Koenig. Though I’m sure some will still say it is a break in protocol. Just like one of the tabloids ran the headline that Meghan is breaking a four year tradition by not having her baby at Lindo Wing. Yes, you read it right, four year tradition. :lol:

Remember it wasn't just the William and Kate 'approach'.

The whole expectation of a country was on it. Especially for Prince George. This was the first royal birth since Eugenie. We had a month of the #greatkatewait. Literally hundreds of media organisations camped out in front of the Lindo Wing.

As with everything to do with Harry and Meghan, they have much more latitude.
I guess Louise and James don't count as royal births ?

With that being said, the presentation/photo-call helps build a connection with those small numbers who do care and also helps socialize the family into the broader cultural story. Now, there are lots of other ways to do that now, in the social media age, to be sure. And even in the time since little George was born, social media has exploded/advanced in ways that the younger royals could do better to take advantage of.

I personally want a Sussex photo-call because it was a fun experience with the Cambridge babies in terms of fandom conversation. So very selfish on my part :) But I also think it goes a long way helping manage media issues (paps trying to get photos, etc) and building media relationships. Now, the UK tabs have been terrible, but at the end of the day, the BRF, no matter the individual royal, needs them for their work to truly land. So Harry and Meghan would be wise to have some mass/prestige media aspect to the birth for that alone.

Plus, despite their great skill at keeping out of the spotlight when not working, it wouldnt be shocking if news leaked of the birth happening. Without proper media briefing, protocols and plans, that could turn into a mess very quickly.

All in all, we will see what path they take. Not long now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Louise and James don't count as royal births ?

They don't. When James and Louise were born they didn't get gun salutes that HRHs receive.

There werent bell peels at Westminster Abbey.

The Wessex children aren't royal, the same for Harry's kids.

Last edited:

I'm a Baby Boomer with an Instagram account & most of my female friends have one. Facebook is widely used amongst BBs and the elderly are increasingly online (even my 88yr old Mum has a tablet). So photos published on any social media will reach a wide audience amongst the over 60s as they can be shared between platforms.

The print media can still publish photos from social media so it's not like anyone without internet access will never see them.

I'm going to echo Lilyflo here and mention that I'm a baby boomer and have used Facebook since 2004 (and MySpace before that) and its most definitely how I keep in contact with my kids and grandkids and out of state friends and family. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical newspaper or magazine. I've also been on Instagram now for a total of (count 'em) one day. :D

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that the Lindo Wing will not be used by Harry and Meghan and I'm even leaning now towards Meghan preferring to have a home birth at Frogmore Cottage and employing yoga techniques for childbirth with Harry right there along side her for the entire process. If this does happen, it will be with the full blessing of her obstetrician that its a safe way to go with him/her, perhaps, in attendance with a midwife.

The Queen had all her children at "home" and rather than breaking a tradition, Meghan will be reverting to how it used to be done. This way, no to and from the hospital and no wolf... err press packs and closing of streets. Easy to make an announcement on their Instagram page and release a picture there.

Less hassle, less worry, peaceful surrounding for mum and Grandma Doria will be able to be there front and center for the whole process. Maybe that's what they were shopping for recently. All the aromatherapy oils to enhance the process of giving birth.

How do they know? Did Meghan's doctor talks to Bunte?

They normally get their news from the "Sun" in England. But here they say, the friends of Meghan had this idea of a "incognito" birth, that she follows now.

We'll see... or even not...

There is Frimley Park and an excellent private facility in Windsor so there is room for options.

Cutting off streets for who knows how long is pretentious and smacks of privilege. As to a home birth, I very much doubt it as HM gave birth in a sterile hospital room for all intents and purposes. She even had an Official Audience but we best keep quiet or the media might get ideas and demand a presence.

Bottom line, I think they intend to keep it on the lowdown and are making no extraordinary arrangements and letting the interest set it's own level.

There is Frimley Park and an excellent private facility in Windsor so there is room for options.

Cutting off streets for who knows how long is pretentious and smacks of privilege. As to a home birth, I very much doubt it as HM gave birth in a sterile hospital room for all intents and purposes. She even had an Official Audience but we best keep quiet or the media might get ideas and demand a presence.

Bottom line, I think they intend to keep it on the lowdown and are making no extraordinary arrangements and letting the interest set it's own level.

You make it sound like William and Kate were the ones who closed the street outside of St Mary's. I believe it was the city of London and the RPOs who arranged that--to control traffic and the crowds around the hospital.

Although I imagine there were plenty of people that were annoyed that streets were cordoned off due to the birth of a royal baby, they probably would be the same people that were annoyed when millions turned out for a royal wedding and there were street parties everywhere in celebration.

It may very well be pretentious and smack of privilege to some people but to many it is also a cause for celebration. Not just because its Harry and Meghan's kid or William and Kate's kid or even the great grandchild of the monarch but its a reminder, especially in these times of uncertainty, that the monarchy is strong, stable and ready to continue on as the continuity of all things British and stability.

In this day and age, there has been very little all around the globe to really get out there, fly the flag, raise a toast and revel in something happy and joyous. IMO, its exactly what Britain needs right about now. :britflag:

However, should Harry and Meghan decide they wish to avoid all the hoopla and press packs and just have a private birth, that's fine with me too. Parents should be able to decide how they wish to handle things without outside influence from anywhere else.

I'm a Baby Boomer with an Instagram account & most of my female friends have one. Facebook is widely used amongst BBs and the elderly are increasingly online (even my 88yr old Mum has a tablet). So photos published on any social media will reach a wide audience amongst the over 60s as they can be shared between platforms.

The print media can still publish photos from social media so it's not like anyone without internet access will never see them.

Don't know about the stats in UK, but 2/3 of adults in US are now on FB and about half of US adults get their news on FB. I don't think we can underestimate how many Baby Boomers are actually on social media.

Just on a side note, I just got done watching an ad on TV for something called the Grandpad. Its like a Ipad thing for older folks. :D

I'm still old school with the box and a string connected to a board with a bunch of letters on it while looking at a wide screen HDMI curved monitor. As I do not use telephones at all unless I absolutely have to, the phone I do have is very intellectually challenged (not a smart phone at all).

I predict that Harry and Meghan will pause on the steps of a hospital after the birth to show their new born.
I think they'll be excited to do so. It is a precious time. People appreciate the gesture; they look forward to seeing the baby safely arrived.

In other news, the couple has acknowledge the #globalsussexbabyshower effort in a post that asked people to donate to the following organizations in lieu of gifts for Baby Sussex.

sussexroyal
Verified

sussexroyal's profile picture
sussexroyal
Verified
What an incredibly special surprise the grassroots led #globalsussexbabyshower was last Sunday!
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are immensely grateful for the outpouring of love and support in anticipation of the birth of their first child.

In lieu of sending gifts, the couple have long planned to encourage members of the public to make donations to select charities for children and parents in need. If you already made a donation, the couple send you their greatest thanks. If you are thinking about it, they ask that you kindly consider the following organisations they’ve selected, which we will highlight here over the next few days:

@thelunchboxfund
@littlevillagehq
@wellchild
@baby2baby

The Duke and Duchess remain appreciative for your warm wishes and kindness during this especially happy time in their lives! Thank you for sharing the love ❤️

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4Ou8nBFDE/

Don't know about the stats in UK, but 2/3 of adults in US are now on FB and about half of US adults get their news on FB. I don't think we can underestimate how many Baby Boomers are actually on social media.

I don't know anyone of my BB generation who doesn't use some form of social media. It's the norm with our iPads & smartphones. The PR potential for the BRF is huge across all age groups I think. It will definitely be a great way for Harry & Meghan to share baby & family photos.

Photo ops aren't just about pictures. There's something to be said about watching a *video* of the tired but happy couple emerging from the hospital with their newborn in arms. The world's first view of the baby and the baby's first view of the world. Posting a photograph on social media just wouldn't be the same.

Photo ops aren't just about pictures. There's something to be said about watching a *video* of the tired but happy couple emerging from the hospital with their newborn in arms. The world's first view of the baby and the baby's first view of the world. Posting a photograph on social media just wouldn't be the same.

I don't know if I'd agree a photo call with the press should be the baby's first view of the world. I can think of many better views. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom