Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Meghan touching her baby bump will be discussed on Lorraine today, they have got the royal reporter Rhys Myers giving his expert opinion on this 'issue'. And there aren't enough roll eye emojis for me to use, this is so ridiculous.

What I find odd is that they can't either find someone who has been pregnant before or an expert in maternity field to talk about this. Rather someone who has not been pregnant, and is not qualified to discuss the science behind it. BTW, I stopped reading the response to their tweet promoting this segment after about the first 20 responses. It was pretty one-sided supporting Meghan in doing whatever she feels like with her baby bump. :lol:

What is funny is that the Daily Mail (or Mirror?) did a article asking experts about this and they all were positive saying it was a good thing and the benefits and how nature it is. It literally made me laugh because I am 100% sure that is NOT what they were expecting.

I watched the Lorraine clip and they agreed this obsession with nitpicking Meghan and her body is over the top. She is pregnant. Leave her be. I also was glad one of them (I think Lorraine) reminded them that Meghan is being photographed constantly and of course you will see the image of her doing it a lot. That is the shot they want you to fixate on.

How people can be so bothered about another person touching their own body is beyond me.

Why are people so obsessed with what she does with her bump? It's a very noticeable bump no matter what she does with it. Why is it attention seeking if she wears form hugging clothes? Are going to miss it if she's not? It's a very strange thing to nitpick about.

The DM article is ridiculous.

That said, Meghan is getting commentary about the belly cradling because it is constant, and because she is doing it when she is in public, on official engagements. Maybe she has round ligament pain. Maybe she is so thrilled to be pregnant that she can't help touching herself. I have no idea. But the fact that it is ubiquitous is noticeable, and it is also not something that most women, in a professional setting, do as frequently as she is doing.

I don't think it is being nitpicky to notice it, and to notice that in some settings it is viewed as unprofessional.

Women are allowed to touch their baby bumps in professional settings, and owe no one any explanations why they do it. Imho it's extremely nitpicky to try to say, that it's any way unprofessional. This is absolutely insane, imho, to say, that Meghan shouldn't touch her bump while on royal engagements. Or any other time.

Imho there shouldn't even be any discussion about this.

I have seen more articles and commentary about her touching her belly than I have seen her actually doing it. Meghan is snapped 32368564 times at an engagement and at this point they are very much nitpicking and hyper-focusing on it. She can't hide her belly. It silly to expect her to like that article seems to suggest.

Women are allowed to touch their baby bumps in professional settings, and owe no one any explanations why they do it. Imho it's extremely nitpicky to try to say, that it's any way unprofessional. This is absolutely insane, imho, to say, that Meghan shouldn't touch her bump while on royal engagements. Or any other time.

It's no different to me than a woman that's not pregnant or a man put their hand on their hip at the office while standing and chatting. It happens. It's pretty normal. People don't think of it as scandalous. Unless someone's hand in on an inappropriate place, it's a hand. So why is it a problem with a pregnant woman put her hand on her belly?

I have seen more articles and commentary about her touching her belly than I have seen her actually doing it. Meghan is snapped 32368564 times at an engagement and at this point they are very much nitpicking and hyper-focusing on it. She can't hide her belly. It silly to expect her to like that article seems to suggest.

Yes, and like you said, Lorraine made the very good point, that there are thousands of pictures taken during engagements, and right now all the papers pick the ones with her touching her bump. They're the money shots. All the other non bump moments get ignored.

I just think ALL this discussion about Meghan holding her bump is crazy (and gere I'm taking part in it.. ?) It's the most natural thing, and this obsession over it is just really confusing.

The DM article is ridiculous.

That said, Meghan is getting commentary about the belly cradling because it is constant, and because she is doing it when she is in public, on official engagements. Maybe she has round ligament pain. Maybe she is so thrilled to be pregnant that she can't help touching herself. I have no idea. But the fact that it is ubiquitous is noticeable, and it is also not something that most women, in a professional setting, do as frequently as she is doing.

I don't think it is being nitpicky to notice it, and to notice that in some settings it is viewed as unprofessional.

Agreed entirely. She's getting commentary on it because she does it so frequently and in such a deliberate way that it can become distracting. The biggest case in point, for me anyway, being at the fashion awards. She looked fabulous, she said lovely and wonderful things about CWK, it was a lovely evening with a very praise-worthy look and then come the images of her hugging this bump on both top and bottom, elbows straight out to the sides in an almost defensive stance, appearing for all the world to be putting the bump on show in a "look at me and please notice my bump" kind of way and then wonders why there's eyerolls from a lot of quarters.

I'd give any pregnant woman a pass on clasping their hands together under the bump while they're waiting to speak because, you know, what else do you do with your hands when you're not holding a microphone or a purse, even in resting both hands on top of a large bump when sitting because again, a natural pose and the hands gotta go somewhere. But the very deliberate, constant "make sure you see that I'm pregnant" way that it comes across sometimes can get old and distracting and is unprofessional. I can't imagine someone doing that in my office, especially during an important presentation or introduction, and it not being raised as an issue. It really does depend on the situation and circumstances but that one at the fashion awards particularly stood out for me as unprofessional because the night wasn't about her, it was about CWK, and the showcasing distracted from the real focus of the event, especially in the press. When the press about the evening should have been about CWK and her award and even about how wonderful Meghan looked and the very genuine and kind words she spoke, it was instead all about this one picture, this one pose, this one moment where she very deliberately framed the bump in an almost maternity photo shoot kind of way.

Last edited:
Agreed entirely. She's getting commentary on it because she does it so frequently and in such a deliberate way that it can become distracting. The biggest case in point, for me anyway, being at the fashion awards. She looked fabulous, she said lovely and wonderful things about CWK, it was a lovely evening with a very praise-worthy look and then come the images of her hugging this bump on both top and bottom, elbows straight out to the sides in an almost defensive stance, appearing for all the world to be putting the bump on show in a "look at me and please notice my bump" kind of way and then wonders why there's eyerolls from a lot of quarters.

I'd give any pregnant woman a pass on clasping their hands together under the bump while they're waiting to speak because, you know, what else do you do with your hands when you're not holding a microphone or a purse, even in resting both hands on top of a large bump when sitting because again, a natural pose and the hands gotta go somewhere. But the very deliberate, constant "make sure you see that I'm pregnant" way that it comes across sometimes can get old and distracting and is unprofessional. I can't imagine someone doing that in my office, especially during an important presentation or introduction, and it not being raised as an issue. It really does depend on the situation and circumstances but that one at the fashion awards particularly stood out for me as unprofessional because the night wasn't about her, it was about CWK, and the showcasing distracted from the real focus of the event, especially in the press. When the press about the evening should have been about CWK and her award and even about how wonderful Meghan looked and the very genuine and kind words she spoke, it was instead all about this one picture, this one pose, this one moment where she very deliberately framed the bump in an almost maternity photo shoot kind of way.

A subsequent video from the fashion award showed that she slightly winced before putting her hand there. It's not surprising that with the amount of noise and such surrounding them, the baby would be very active.

We've also seen the video of her at the retirement home where it was very obvious the baby was moving and then she moved her hand to her belly. So before we call a pregnant woman unprofessional for touching her pregnant belly, perhaps people should understand that there are other things at play.

I also think it's odd to accuse a pregnant woman who attention seeking when she moves her coat out of her way. There is enough things there already. If you are going to try to see where you are going or swat down, it's more than natural.

I've also seen videos where she briefly touched her belly, to a point where if someone next to me did it, I wouldn't even notice. Yet when it's captured in a photo, it seems as if that's all she's doing. And that becomes the narrative rather than reality.

BTW, I feel like this is becoming the new Huggy Wuggy narrative. She's affectionate. That's just the way it is. People got worked up and mocked her because she hugged children on walkabouts. I guess now she has to be mocked for touching her own unborn child.

Last edited:
Some people believe, and are backed up by some experts, that the cradling releases oxytocin, which benefits both mother and baby. How can that be wrong? Meghan’s not taking pictures of herself, so those who don’t like the sight of a pregnant woman doing something which comes naturally, and is beneficial, don’t look at the pictures. This is silly and borderline cruel.

And Meghan doesn’t need to do anything to attract attention to herself. We’re all looking at her regardless, right?

Royal (and non pregnant) men fiddle with their cuff links and their tie bars.
And their watch bands. Women, if you are pregnant, cradle your bump or not; whatever feels right to you is what you should do.

Last edited:
There is literally a video of Meghan wincing right before she held her stomach at the awards show. It was posted in this very thread and news articles with such headlines like “See the moment Meghan felt a kick” were over the internet. So I fail to see how her reacting or holding her stomach is attention seeking. People truly see what they want and that goes for all so called “sides”.

There is literally a video of Meghan wincing right before she held her stomach at the awards show. It was posted in this very thread and news articles with such headlines like “See the moment Meghan felt a kick” were over the internet. So I fail to see how her reacting or holding her stomach is attention seeking. People truly see what they want and that goes for all so called “sides”.
There is a difference between responding to a kick and posing.

How is it posing if she's putting her hand where her baby just kicked? Especially if he/she is moving around a bit? That video clearly showed that she moved her hand there after she winced. Her attention was on CWK.

So Meghan should stop her soothing behavior because it might strike someone as posing, or otherwise annoy some members of the public?

And even if she were consciously posing for some purpose, what difference does it make? Her pictures will be in the papers pretty much every time she ventures out for years to come, posing or not.

So Meghan should stop her soothing behavior because it might strike someone as posing, or otherwise annoy some members of the public?

And even if she were consciously posing for some purpose, what difference does it make? Her pictures will be in the papers pretty much every time she ventures out for years to come, posing or not.

Agree. This is such a trivial matter and it's becoming pretty ridiculous IMO. People seem to try and find a way to analyse every little behaviour and action from the royals but there are bigger problems to worry about!

And what is it when the conversation is about her response to a kick? You have no idea what she doing. And to be fair nor do I. None of us do but we do know we have seen Meghan physical react to the baby’s movement. I see no issue with a mother soothing herself and her child. I don’t care if a camera is around. Meghan can’t help that part. Her sneezing is headline news.

I’m not quite sure how fault can be found with someone cradling their baby. It is a baby, not a bump. And surely it’s much better to see enthusiasm over a pregnancy than not? I sincerely hope a woman is allowed to celebrate both her pregnancy and her work and not feel shame for either. I really don’t see how her behavior is attention seeking or distracting for the work she does.

I'm sorry, but are you really saying, that in your office they monitor how and when pregnant women touch their baby bumps? Are you really calling Meghan unprofessional, when she touches her bump?

Imho again, this is nitpicky. It seems like whatever Meghan does or doesn't do, it will always be picked apart.

I'm personally 100% sure, that there are not one royal aide or anyone in the know, who would think to even suggest that Meghan touching her bump needs to be monitored, or would call it unprofessional.

It might be best Meghan push her bump to her back, this way the pump and her touching it wouldn't distract anyone.

It could be much, much worse. Instead of cradling her child, she could be picking her nose. ;)

A number of off-topic comments have been deleted. Let’s move on from the discussion about Meghan touching her bump.

Very unlikely that they will shun having a nanny or try to use Doria as a nanny

:previous: Exactly!

Doria has her own life and interests. Although I suspect like most new grandmothers including Carole Middleton, she will spend some extra time with the new mum and baby helping them adjust. And than she will pop in and out.

I also can't imagine them not having a nanny. That would be mean that one of them will have to be with the child 24/7 like most new parents...so how will they do their duties?

Plus Carole is in a financial position to spend as much time as she likes with her grandchildren. I believe Doria is working full time so that’s not an option.

Plus Carole is in a financial position to spend as much time as she likes with her grandchildren. I believe Doria is working full time so that’s not an option.

Furthermore, Carole doesn't live in another continent as Doria does.

Possbily Doria will move to the UK, Meghan is her only child... and its a logn way away….

Let's not speculate not speculate on if Doria is going to move to UK. She certainly hasn't shown any interest. I believe one of the stories from the wedding is that someone asked her if she was going to stay a little longer after the wedding, her response was that no, she has to get back to her job and dogs. Not every parent wants to give up everything and move to wherever their child is. Even if they are close. They all lead their own lives. Obviously the Sussexes can more than afford to fly mom over anytime to visit, but Doria has her own social circles and daily life in LA.

We haven’t a clue what her financial position/options are and shouldn’t even be discussing that here.

I’m more concerned and hopeful Meghan has a successful full term pregnancy and continues to ignore the intense nastiness directed at her. She is entitled to have close loyal family visit/support her during pregnancy and afterwards as often as the others if she so desires. Period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom