The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1301  
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,144
The pictures will probably be prettier with the Windsor backdrop vs hospital steps and doors. Iíd consider this a plus. And they only have to wait a couple of days for it.

I really fail to see a downside here.
__________________

  #1302  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
I’m thrilled for Meghan. The whole presentation is completely ridiculous considering what women go through during delivery. I hope Omid is chosen as the RR and their wedding photographer for the pictures.
Doubt it, Omid is not a PA reporter.
__________________

  #1303  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Giving birth at Lindo and doing photo call was a choice. The Queen gave birth to Charles (future King) at home.

.
Of course it was a choice. I never stated it wasn't. They went with the choice that was expected of them as the future King and Queen. Expectations 70 years ago, when Charles was born, were different. Likewise, Philip skipped his son's birth because that was the practice then. But now the expectation is different and fathers (including Royal fathers) attend their children's birth.
  #1304  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Of course it was a choice. I never stated it wasn't. They went with the choice that was expected of them as the future King and Queen. Expectations 70 years ago, when Charles was born, were different. Likewise, Philip skipped his son's birth because that was the practice then. But now the expectation is different and fathers (including Royal fathers) attend their children's birth.
If expectations can change then, Iím sure they are capable today as well. And frankly, the only expectations that matter here are those of the parentsí as they will raise the child and Meghan will be the one pushing it out.
  #1305  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:42 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Merena View Post
Even if she has the ambulance on stand by, anything can happen. There are situations where the baby needs to be taken out immediately ie. in less than ten minutes.
Exactly-my boss was a first time older mother a few years ago. Her pregnancy was uneventful, but the baby was born by emergency c-section within minutes of arriving at the hospital in labor. They had to knock her out--there wasn't even time for local anthesthetic.
  #1306  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Doubt it, Omid is not a PA reporter.
I wonder who then are the possible PA reporters for the photo call. Maybe Mishal Husian, the reporter who did the engagement interview? Is there another possibility?
  #1307  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
I don't get all the issues with this. I actually think we are getting the best option

Sorry but what is so great about the hospital photo op? A short glance of the baby and an exhausted mom for a few cameras, and then whisked off. Then we wait until a proper photo is released. Not even a descent shot of the baby from the hospital.

Instead we will get a photo call at Windsor, when both mom and baby are recovered more from labor. And likely a much better shot of the baby. Not the crowds of reporters, but a select few so not such an intrusion on the baby.

And hopefully a photo or few either before or after. I could see a private photo snapped by mom and dad on IG and maybe a few official ones. Maybe baby with his/her big brothers of the furry variety.
  #1308  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
If expectations can change then, I’m sure they are capable today as well.
Yes, but that's what I pointed out in my post. Expectations in 1948 (when Charles was born) are different than expectations today. It was expected that the Cambridges present their each newborn child to the world in a photo call, just as William's parents did, and they dutifully complied. I don't think for one minute Catherine enjoyed the whole media circus, but as the future Queen Consort, and the mother of a future King, she did what was expected of her.

The press expects Harry and Meghan to do the same and the fact that they have chosen not to has given them yet another excuse to slam them (especially Meghan), unfair as it is.

Quote:
And frankly, the only expectations that matter here are those of the parents’ as they will raise the child and Meghan will be the one pushing it out.
I agree, and in IMO as junior royals Harry and Meghan shouldn't even be held to the same expectations as William and Catherine. They aren't the future King and Queen and their child won't be a future monarch. And if they decide to raise their children more privately than the Cambridge children it makes sense to begin that process at birth.
  #1309  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
I wonder who then are the possible PA reporters for the photo call. Maybe Mishal Husian, the reporter who did the engagement interview? Is there another possibility?
My understanding is that the royals don’t get to choose. There is a roster of PA reporters and photographers and the job goes to the one who is next on the list whenever the baby is born.
  #1310  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I suspect that the issue is that the photo call will not be handled in the expected way. The expected way is the parents appearing at the hospital, either for a full on photo-op, or being snapped on the way out. I'm sure everyone will adjust to the new rules of engagement, but it is a change, so therefore the grumbling.

There's no rule that the Sussexes had to do things the expected way, but it's also not surprising that doing things their own way results in some commentary, negative or positive.
I agree with your assessment. We've had photos of Anne, Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Kate leaving the hospital with their babies for over 40 years now. So the expectation was there. I know I am disappointed personally, but I'll get over it. I do think it has gotten crazier--the media presence at the Cambridge births was over the top.

I am glad the Sussexes made a public announcement of their plan.
  #1311  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,770
Roya was on The Royal Rota saying she thinks Meghan is doing a home birth. That seems to be the consensus among many of the royal reporters. So if that has been the plan then we were never going to get that moment on the steps.

I guess I don't see the big issue. I could understand if no image was being presented by there will be public pictures and videos sent out to everyone. BP confirmed they will tell the public when Meghan is going into labour.

What else do people want? This child is the 7th in line and not even a HRH. This way is fitting.
  #1312  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:01 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I had only wished Catherine did the same, because it would have sent a very clear message that even the future Queen consort will not bow to a pathetic made-up tradition and not succumb to the want of a media circus who are suffering from extreme entitlement.
I imagine Kate did it the way she wanted to. Just like Meghan should be allowed to do it the way she wants.

No royal woman should be required to stand in front of the world after giving birth, nor should they be criticized if that's what they chose to do.

People who are upset about Meghan's plans will get over it. No one should dictate how a woman chooses to handle the birth of their child. It's up to them. Whether that means a private presentation with only one media outlet, or a presentation on the steps of a hospital. There is no wrong or right way, it's up to the mother. They alone should be the one deciding what is best for them and their child.
__________________
  #1313  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Roya was on The Royal Rota saying she thinks Meghan is doing a home birth. That seems to be the consensus among many of the royal reporters. So if that has been the plan then we were never going to get that moment on the steps.

I guess I don't see the big issue. I could understand if no image was being presented by there will be public pictures and videos sent out to everyone. BP confirmed they will tell the public when Meghan is going into labour.

What else do people want? This child is the 7th in line and not even a HRH. This way is fitting.
This baby will very likely become HRH when Charles is king, not that that's really relevant here, as other royal women whose children were not HRH have done the same as Kate. I think the problem is that some are just upset that Meghan and Harry are doing things their way and not giving the access that is normally expected. And then there are those who would criticize them no matter what they decided.

Personally, I prefer what we are hearing about how this birth will unfold over what we have seen the last few decades. Sounds more sensible and modern to me.
  #1314  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coastal California, United States
Posts: 1,235
https://www.rand.org/blog/2019/04/me...er-giving.html
This was obviously written before todayís news confirming no photocall, but the writer raises valid points, IMO. Iíve long thought parading a made up, coiffed, heels wearing woman shortly after giving birth was cruel and sent a very negative message that women are objects and trivialized the very painful and dangerous business that giving birth is. Kudos to Harry and Meghan for refusing to perform like trick ponies.
  #1315  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 375
I wish the reason they were waiting was the fact she’s having twins. I want twins!
  #1316  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 660
I think it's unfair to dismiss the disappointment of people who were hoping for a public appearance. Besides the press, there were a lot of ordinary people who went to the Lindo Wing to see the Cambridge babies in person and "feel a part of the joy of a new baby".

And that's not unreasonable to want, because as much as these two humans as "Meghan and Harry" are private people, they also embody the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and exist within a particular structure of mutual obligations. The nation agrees that the Duke and Duchess are able to live *very* comfortably in beautiful surroundings, do relatively little work compared to the average Joe working a 40-60 hour work week, and largely pursue things that interest them. In return, the Duke and Duchess, as part of the institution of the monarchy, exist as symbols for the nation; they pursue philanthropic issues and there is a very reasonable expectation that they be seen. So yes, if the average Londoner was really hoping to go to the hospital and demonstrate their support and joy for the new baby, it's churlish to completely deny them a sense of disappointment.

"Meghan and Harry" will always be in conflict with "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". That's just part of the bargain.

Maybe this is an effort to deny the press their crazed coverage. But the people who're actually going to be saddened by this will be the average people who just wish Harry and Meghan happy, and I think that's a bit sad.
  #1317  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
I think the other reason for the saltiness is the controlled environment for this photo call. The line of questioning is controlled: no gotcha questions about the Cambridges and the Markles.
  #1318  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: City, United States
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
You never know.. Baby Sussex may not get that much media attention.. except perhaps in the US...
I don't think it will be that big a deal in the U.S. Meghan is in the tabloids, but most people aren't paying any attention at all.
  #1319  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 313
Wonderful news from the Sussexes, I’m happy that they will announce further information about their baby when they’re ready, on their terms.

Hoping that Meghan will have a safe labour & delivery wherever she chooses. Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are a terrific, intelligent couple and have accomplished so much in such a brief time together. Reasonable people will understand that a couple making a positive choice for their family is a good thing.
  #1320  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
I think it's unfair to dismiss the disappointment of people who were hoping for a public appearance. Besides the press, there were a lot of ordinary people who went to the Lindo Wing to see the Cambridge babies in person and "feel a part of the joy of a new baby".

And that's not unreasonable to want, because as much as these two humans as "Meghan and Harry" are private people, they also embody the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and exist within a particular structure of mutual obligations. The nation agrees that the Duke and Duchess are able to live *very* comfortably in beautiful surroundings, do relatively little work compared to the average Joe working a 40-60 hour work week, and largely pursue things that interest them. In return, the Duke and Duchess, as part of the institution of the monarchy, exist as symbols for the nation; they pursue philanthropic issues and there is a very reasonable expectation that they be seen. So yes, if the average Londoner was really hoping to go to the hospital and demonstrate their support and joy for the new baby, it's churlish to completely deny them a sense of disappointment.

"Meghan and Harry" will always be in conflict with "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". That's just part of the bargain.

Maybe this is an effort to deny the press their crazed coverage. But the people who're actually going to be saddened by this will be the average people who just wish Harry and Meghan happy, and I think that's a bit sad.
The few people with the day off to stand around waiting for the baby, may be saddened. But the majority of people will have their fill, with a proper photo call and the pictures that will be released.

Its not like they are making this a private event. Its not like they are not sharing the baby with the public. They know they and the baby have a place to fill. But they are just doing it in their own way. With a controlled photo call and picture release.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koningsdag 2014-2022 Marengo Dutch Royals 271 Today 12:50 PM
Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021 Josefine Royal House of Denmark 1723 09-08-2021 09:05 PM
What will happen to Royal Families in 2019 AmaliaCharlotte Royal Chit Chat 50 11-29-2019 03:59 PM
Princess Sofia is Expecting - Due April 2016 JR76 Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Family 197 04-20-2016 05:04 AM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asian birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi gradenigo harry and meghan henry viii highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan history kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen elizabeth ii queen victoria st edward sussex suthida tradition unfinished portrait united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×