The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1201  
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,933
IMO its not so much that Meghan is wrong is that Meghan is thumbing her nose at these royal traditions/rules/etiquette. When in fact...they are not so much royal rules of etiquette. Just personal preference.
__________________

__________________
.

  #1202  
Old 04-10-2019, 12:58 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
And I will use this chance to point out how differently they write the articles. In the articles about Diana, it's a clash between the two, and neither were really framed as right or wrong. However, these days, Meghan is always in the wrong if she wants to do something. Diana and Queen disagreed with the then Princess of Wales wanting to go to a hospital in case something wrong, but Meghan is being blamed as she's delivering an "astonishing snub". The tone does matter.
I disagree. In the article it says that Diana is breaking a royal tradition and then ends by saying that the Queen can only expect the clashes to heat up - which makes it sound like Diana is being difficult.

The bottom line is that they shouldn't be writing articles trying to shame how a woman chooses to give birth. Be it Meghan, Diana or any other royal bride.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Yes, it's all horribly familiar. I haven't been commenting much on these types of stories because they are all rehashes from other royal brides, and as ridiculous now as they have been in the past.
Yep. So agree.
__________________

__________________
  #1203  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I disagree. In the article it says that Diana is breaking a royal tradition and then ends by saying that the Queen can only expect the clashes to heat up - which makes it sound like Diana is being difficult.

The bottom line is that they shouldn't be writing articles about how a woman chooses to give birth.
I didn't get the feeling they are pushing the narrative as Diana is difficult at all. In fact, it just seemed like two women who have their own opinion and faults disagreeing. In fact, it was the Queen who "snubbed", not the other way around. The narrative on who is at fault was certainly a lot more balanced and even understanding. Nor did she get called unnecessarily extravagant for wanting to go to a hospital as it'll cost more.
  #1204  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,933
Yes, some of the stories or issues are just retreads but let's be honest....if you have never followed the royals..these stories are new to you and probably true.

Let's face it...everytime a new bride enters the royal family they manage to capture the attention of people who never followed the royals before. Its happened with Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Sarah, Kate and now Meghan. Everytime there is a royal engagement/wedding we get a new slew of members. They don't know that a lot of this stuff has happened before because they never cared to follow it. It didn't matter than.

My mother is a new royal watcher despite the fact that I have been one since 1981 (this is the same lady who bought me books about royal weddings, bios, etc.) and she is coming to me with the stuff like...about certain people not liking Meghan or the attention that Meghan has attracted. I have had to point out that Kate, Camilla, etc have had the same treatment to some extent.

Even royal watchers like myself, now that you referenced this article...is ringing some type of bell but its been long time!

Either way, we will see when the baby is born on which article is the telling the truth.
__________________
.

  #1205  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
My mother is a new royal watcher despite the fact that I have been one since 1981 (this is the same lady who bought me books about royal weddings, bios, etc.) and she is coming to me with the stuff like...about certain people not liking Meghan or the attention that Meghan has attracted. I have had to point out that Kate, Camilla, etc have had the same treatment to some extent.
I think the key words here are "to some extent". I get that every royal spouse, particularly women, get treated badly, but there does seem to be an extra layer of nastiness when it comes to Meghan without much action from her needed. And I thought maybe it's just me, but I've seen royal historians calling it out more and more. Kate Williams was on TV talking about it just the other day, and Marlene Koenig, who has not only followed the royals but covered them at times, also commented on this for VF.
  #1206  
Old 04-10-2019, 02:36 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,933
I do think they have all been treated the same to some extent. The big differences are race and nationality. I also think social media has played a bigger role than it did with Kate and maybe that's why we are more aware of it because of people linking twitter, instagram, etc.

Being a member of TRF I recall some of the issues but I don't remember social media having that much of an impact with Kate as it has with Meghan.

I do wonder about the source for all these articles. I mean Kensington Palace has been busy but they can't deny, confirm everything...they would never get anything done. And now everyone is royal expert!

But to get back on topic, I guess we will see where Meghan has her baby when she has the baby. And whether or not it will be at a Hospital in London or near Windsor. Whether or not the royal doctors will comment or they won't. And whether or not she and Harry will do a photo shot or they don't.
__________________
.

  #1207  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes, some of the stories or issues are just retreads but let's be honest....if you have never followed the royals..these stories are new to you and probably true.

Let's face it...everytime a new bride enters the royal family they manage to capture the attention of people who never followed the royals before. Its happened with Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Sarah, Kate and now Meghan. Everytime there is a royal engagement/wedding we get a new slew of members. They don't know that a lot of this stuff has happened before because they never cared to follow it. It didn't matter than.

My mother is a new royal watcher despite the fact that I have been one since 1981 (this is the same lady who bought me books about royal weddings, bios, etc.) and she is coming to me with the stuff like...about certain people not liking Meghan or the attention that Meghan has attracted. I have had to point out that Kate, Camilla, etc have had the same treatment to some extent.

Even royal watchers like myself, now that you referenced this article...is ringing some type of bell but its been long time!

Either way, we will see when the baby is born on which article is the telling the truth.
^ Exactly.

Many of the things that are being written about Meghan, are things that other royal brides had written about them. They're just repurposed to fit the royal. When the story about Meghan making Kate cry came out, I rolled my eyes because the tabloids wrote a similar story about Kate and Beatrice. That rumor lasted for years and is still repeated whenever the two of them are around one another.

I think one of the reasons that there is such an onslaught of negative stories about Meghan, is because she is so new to the royal world. Kate and Sophie dated their respective spouses for years, so the negative stories about them were spread out over time. Thus making it seem as if they were just welcomed into the royal fold by the media, but they weren't. The stories about them were nasty and mean. This isn't the thread to go into details, but the media didn't go easy on them at all. Now it's Meghan's turn. Of course she has had to deal with an extra layer of awful due to racism, but I don't think most of the negative stories are because of that. She is just unfortunately dealing with the same crap that others royal girlfriends and brides have faced before her.

We also have to remember that the tabloids (and the public) love chaos and drama - happy stories don't sell as well, so that's why the tabloids are just milking these stories about Meghan. In fact, people may complain about the tabloids, but they still click the links and share and discuss the stories. Which is exactly what the tabloids want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I didn't get the feeling they are pushing the narrative as Diana is difficult at all. In fact, it just seemed like two women who have their own opinion and faults disagreeing. In fact, it was the Queen who "snubbed", not the other way around. The narrative on who is at fault was certainly a lot more balanced and even understanding. Nor did she get called unnecessarily extravagant for wanting to go to a hospital as it'll cost more.
I guess we see things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But to get back on topic, I guess we will see where Meghan has her baby when she has the baby. And whether or not it will be at a Hospital in London or near Windsor. Whether or not the royal doctors will comment or they won't. And whether or not she and Harry will do a photo shot or they don't.
Yep...we'll definitely know soon enough. I'm just surprised that we haven't heard anything about the arrangements yet. I know in the past, the media was updated at least a month before the birth. That's why I'm leaning more towards a private hospital and no photo call. Or maybe something like what the Swedish and Danish royals do. Have the new dad come out and briefly speak to the media and then release an official photo a few days later.
__________________
  #1208  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:16 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 337
I think that the age of social media is making it worse.... after all reporters are now taking tweets and post from random people and turning it into 'news' by writing articles about them.

That being said I still think Meghan is getting it much worse than any of the other royal brides (recently). Yes both Meghan and Kate were called difficult when staff quit. However, being called waity is one thing...being called vulgar, ghetto, 'exotic' and watering pure blood are all on a different level. I haven't seen reporters try to link Kate or others to terrorism like they did with Meghan and the Hub women. I haven't seen them try to link Kate to drought & murder even though she also likes avocado. Meghan wears a one shoulder dress and she is breaking some false protocol and Kate does the same thing and she is referred to as hollywood glamorous. Meghan does something were she shines then she is too hollywood and needs to know her place. Meghan is known for working behind the scenes and going to engagements prepared and suddenly that is a bad thing.

Meghan was even harassed for cradling her baby bump. While Kate when pregnant was called loving when she cradled her bump.

It is suspicious to me that most of this started after the baby announcement and a very successful tour where Meghan represented the Queen and the UK very well.

Then there is the constant gaslighting that PM and GMB did with Meghan claiming she ghosted him and her family... when they have treated her poorly from the beginning.


**Disclaimer I was too young to know much about Diana's treatment back when she first joined the family so I can't really comment on her situation.
  #1209  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
I think that the age of social media is making it worse.... after all reporters are now taking tweets and post from random people and turning it into 'news' by writing articles about them.

That being said I still think Meghan is getting it much worse than any of the other royal brides (recently). Yes both Meghan and Kate were called difficult when staff quit. However, being called waity is one thing...being called vulgar, ghetto, 'exotic' and watering pure blood are all on a different level. I haven't seen reporters try to link Kate or others to terrorism like they did with Meghan and the Hub women. I haven't seen them try to link Kate to drought & murder even though she also likes avocado. Meghan wears a one shoulder dress and she is breaking some false protocol and Kate does the same thing and she is referred to as hollywood glamorous. Meghan does something were she shines then she is too hollywood and needs to know her place. Meghan is known for working behind the scenes and going to engagements prepared and suddenly that is a bad thing.

Meghan was even harassed for cradling her baby bump, while Kate when pregnant was called loving when she cradled her bump.

It is suspicious to me that most of this started after the baby announcement and a very successful tour where Meghan represented the Queen and the UK very well.

Then there is the constant gaslighting that PM and GMB did with Meghan claiming she ghosted him and her family... when they have treated her poorly from the beginning.


**Disclaimer I was too young to know much about Diana's treatment back when she first joined the family so I can't really comment on her situation.


Well said. This is nothing more than blatant racism.
  #1210  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
The London Eye will light up when Baby Sussex is born it has been announced-
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisship...48402397913089
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1211  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The London Eye will light up when Baby Sussex is born it has been announced-
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisship...48402397913089
cool ...


.
  #1212  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
And of course we can't forget about the bookies. I have to say, one of my favorite things about royal watching.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cecilia...aking-records/

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry And Baby: 'Brand Sussex' Already Breaking Records
  #1213  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,940
I believe all the brides of royals have gotten flack for one thing or another. I believe social media is a lot to blame along with tabloid papers. Now everyone puts in their 2 cents on every subject and then things get blown all out of whack. I still remember very clearly when I was a teen in 1950s and Grace Kelly was marrying a prince. Coming from Philadelphia, where her family still lived, the media went wild, both loving it and others finding her an entertainment woman with low morals that "got him, you know how"! Nothing like what they are doing to Meghan or even Catherine but the common person didn't have a say back then as computers were not in everyone's home and they didn't feel that their opinions were needed or actually wanted. Internet a wonderful invention, but at times I believe it hurts people rather than helps.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
  #1214  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
The media weaponizing the Markles kept the vitriol going but they may not be as useful to the as before. On TLC last night there was a show about the baby and Samantha was recycling grievances. It was not a live show. The thing is the Sussexes has 4.4 million followers on Instagram; Samantha has 6800 followers on Twitter. After a 3 year smear campaign this shows this vast majority of the public doesn't believe her. That says the same for the tabloids and royal reporters. That gives me hope.
  #1215  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,997
Let's move back onto the topic of the thread - discussion about the media, if necessary, can take place elsewhere. Thank you.
__________________
JACK
  #1216  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
Sussex Baby Countdown Documentary-
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1217  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Just catching up on some of the discussion and I'm perplexed that some think we won't see or hear anything about the birth until the Sussexes post a pic on social media. The odds of that happening are very, very low. I would not bet on it!

I think Meghan will give birth at a hospital, whether Lindo Wing or one in Windsor and I think we will get an update pretty soon. Exciting time now!
  #1218  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:17 AM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,532
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...951297/photo/1

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby. Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."
  #1219  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,552
Well done to them!
  #1220  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
It seems sensible to me - the circus surrounding William & Catherine's babies had become ridiculous & why put yourself through that if you don't have to.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koningsdag 2014-2021 Marengo Dutch Royals 242 03-31-2021 02:43 AM
Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021 Josefine Royal House of Denmark 1720 01-07-2021 02:53 PM
What will happen to Royal Families in 2019 AmaliaCharlotte Royal Chit Chat 50 11-29-2019 03:59 PM
Princess Sofia is Expecting - Due April 2016 JR76 Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Family 197 04-20-2016 05:04 AM




Popular Tags
abdication america anastasia archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography bridal gown britain british royal family buckingham palace china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy dna doge of venice doll dubai duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii facts family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf intro italian royal family jack brooksbank japan jewellery king edward vii king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince dimitri princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak queen louise queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal ancestry royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family solomon j solomon speech suthida taiwan uae customs united states of america wales wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×