Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are even opening up the Long Walk for the media the minute it is announced Meghan is in labour. They said there will be 1 reporter, photographer, and 1 camera operator allowed for the press.

Literally they are providing the press their moment just in a slimmed down way. So this whining is over the top. There is no “secret” plan. You will just learn the day of. The end.

The decision won't help them win any popularity contests with the press or public, they are senior royals after all at this stage.
The press will over the sussex kid for the rest of her or his life anyway. No privacy will change that. The Sussex won't be King and Queen but they have the US media interest on their backs forever.
I am sure all this 'we want privacy' while in reality they only want to pick and chose what suits their image or their interest best will not do them any favours and will only create more headlines of extravagance.

You never know.. Baby Sussex may not get that much media attention.. except perhaps in the US...

they only want to pick and chose what suits their image or their interest best will not do them any favours and will only create more headlines of extravagance.

AMEN.. this may be a cause of future regret...and will do nothing for their already failing popularity in the UK...

AMEN.. this may be a cause of future regret...and will do nothing for their already failing popularity in the UK...

Is it failing? I think among "ardent" royal fans they are pretty popular. with the rest of the people I think they're (like many royals) ignored or not much liked

The decision won't help them win any popularity contests with the press or public, they are senior royals after all at this stage.
The press will over the sussex kid for the rest of her or his life anyway. No privacy will change that. The Sussex won't be King and Queen but they have the US media interest on their backs forever.
I am sure all this 'we want privacy' while in reality they only want to pick and chose what suits their image or their interest best will not do them any favours and will only create more headlines of extravagance.

Let's not put this on US media as they generally handle things regarding royalty at a much more respectful distance. Yes, there will be interest. However, it's nowhere near the petty rumors that the UK media has tried to peddle with the Sussexes and then turn around and play the innocent. I have no doubt that they would've loved to have a spot outside of the hospital, they aren't nearly as petulant as members of the UK media has been. In fact, I've seen understanding.

While I agree that this won't win them any favors with the press who would like nothing more than to capitalize this baby as much as they can squeeze out of it, I don't know if the public will be so against it. Personally, I find the idea of having to trade what happens hours after your childbirth and your newborn for good press to be repulsive. I think most people can understand a woman not wanting to pose for the media screaming at them right after a traumatic experience. In fact, some have come out and said it's wrong that it happens at all.

And yes, childbirth is a traumatic experience even without any psychological trauma.

Last edited:

I agree. I can understand why Harry & Meghan want to avoid a photo call & the accompanying frenzy but this won't help their rocky relationship the press. Instead of the chance to photograph & videotape a warm moment the press gets what they view as a snub.

But on the other hand if Harry and Meghan want their children to live private lives, not as working members of the BRF, perhaps in the long run this decision will be for the best.

I agree. I can understand why Harry & Meghan want to avoid a photo call & the accompanying frenzy but this won't help their rocky relationship the press. Instead of the chance to photograph & videotape a warm moment the press gets what they view as a snub.

But on the other hand if Harry and Meghan want their children to live private lives, not as working members of the BRF, perhaps in the long run this decision will be for the best.

There will be a photo call at Windsor Castle a few days after the birth. The German media accidentally published more informations from the palace.

Omid just tweeted to someone about it: "That shouldn’t have been published".

Yes, but Meghan isn't a normal mom to be. She is the granddaughter in law of the Queen of England and the daughter in law of the future King of England. IF it is a home birth, she no doubt has round the clock care and a surgical team and ambulance on stand by.

Even if she has the ambulance on stand by, anything can happen. There are situations where the baby needs to be taken out immediately ie. in less than ten minutes.

They are even opening up the Long Walk for the media the minute it is announced Meghan is in labour. They said there will be 1 reporter, photographer, and 1 camera operator allowed for the press.

Literally they are providing the press their moment just in a slimmed down way. So this whining is over the top. There is no “secret” plan. You will just learn the day of. The end.
I think this is actually a much more organized manner and far less barbaric than having all that chaos outside of a hospital. There are other people there getting medical treatment for goodness' sake, and they shouldn't have to deal with the chaos for the simple fact that they were a bit unfortunate on the timing.

[/B]

A lot of them are in need of a pacifier today. There is no broken protocol, tradition, etc here. In fact, it's a throwback to tradition and how it was done before the days of over indulgent nosy RR.
Couldn't have said it any better. This whole outside of hospital thing only started with Duchess of Kent, and it only started out as having a baby at the hospital as opposed to a palace or private residence. Now it's developed into full blown entitlement for the press.

Last edited:
I think this is actually a much more organized manner and far less barbaric than having all that chaos outside of a hospital. There are other people there getting medical treatment for goodness' sake, and they shouldn't have to deal with the chaos for the simple fact that they were a bit unfortunate on the timing.

Exactly, some people need to take a chill pill. Their reactions were so immature. Unbelievable.

Yes, but Meghan isn't a normal mom to be. She is the granddaughter in law of the Queen of England and the daughter in law of the future King of England. IF it is a home birth, she no doubt has round the clock care and a surgical team and ambulance on stand by.

Why go through an unnecessary risk though only to fend off the press or because of some ideological position on "natural births", which may be the actual reason for choosing a home birth in Meghan's case ?

I also prefer to think, however, that the home birth information is just another unconfirmed rumor despite having been reported by the DM.

Last edited:
Even if she has the ambulance on stand by, anything can happen. There are situations where the baby needs to be taken out immediately ie. in less than ten minutes.

They would have to basically be able to perform surgery at wherever the location is if not the hospital and have blood on hand for transfusion if needed. I think that's always the biggest difference if you can get to a hospital quickly. While there are things they can do on an ambulance, they don't have blood for transfusion.

I also prefer to think, however, that the home birth information is just another unconfirmed rumor despite having been reported by the DM.

In the announcement, nothing was said of a home birth. Given the amount of conflicting information we've seen, I'm inclined to believe no one actually knows and everyone is just trying to guess based on what we do know.

Last edited:

Nothing will help their rocky relationship with the press and the press have themselves to thank for that. Even if the photocall were held, the press would still treat Meghan like crap. I personally can’t blame Harry and Meghan.

Nothing will help their rocky relationship with the press and the press have themselves to thank for that. Even if the photocall were held, the press would still treat Meghan like crap. I personally can’t blame Harry and Meghan.

True that. I don't want to rehash everything that's been said about the treatment by press, but look back to the discussion in the last few days on this board, these problems aren't going away with a whoever wants to join photocall. They'll still have a photographer, reporter, and camera for something with the new family. Just not a frenzy.

Couldn't have said it any better. This whole outside of hospital thing only started with Duchess of Kent, and it only started out as having a baby at the hospital as opposed to a palace or private residence. Now it's developed into full blown entitlement for the press.

Exactly. Royals or not, these are people's lives and emotions the press is trampling all over. The primary goal is the comfort and security of the new mom and baby, and if Harry and Meghan feel that this is the way to go about it, then so be it. It's not like they are breaking some hundred year old royal tradition.

Exactly! A think a photo call was almost obligatory for William & Catherine (the future King and Queen whose oldest child will one day be King too) and they did their duty. Harry and Meghan have more freedom. Like you, I suspect this might be an indication they prefer their children lead lives more like the Wessex children than George, Charlotte, and Louis.

Giving birth at Lindo and doing photo call was a choice. The Queen gave birth to Charles (future King) at home.

I agree with this. There's an old saying that goes "don't bite the hand that feeds you". With as much negativity that has been dished out aimed at both Harry and Meghan and published day in and day out, is it really surprising that they've found themselves getting the short end of the stick and told they're definitely not wanted? Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Harry and Meghan are handling things the way they want to handle thing and IMO, it should be respected. No amount of whining from anyone is going to change things.

Meghan and Harry's bag is different than the average person. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a sterile/semi surgical room set up at Frogmore IF they have a home birth.

As a mod noted earlier:
"As regards to social media reaction to the decision, it is irrelevant - with the exception of TRF discussion here!"

Let's stick to discussing Meghan and Harry and not delve into reactions from random people on social media or in the DM comment section.

Also let's get back to the topic of the thread and and not get into discussing the media vs the Sussexes. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted

So German media "accidentally" reported the entire Operational Note from Buckingham Palace (some information was embargoed).

They will have a photo call a few days later with a Rota journalist, a photographer and TV camera. The Long Walk will be open to the press as soon as Meghan goes into labor, and it will be open for 72 hours to the press.

In what way is it an extravagance for a new mom to want a day or two to recuperate after childbirth? Anyone who'd begrudge her that needs to do some serious work on themselves.

I don't understand the fuss. They aren't shunning the photocall entirely. They're just doing it in a way that prioritises the well-being of the new mom, as it should be.

But other royal mothers can spend a few mintutes showing off the baby. After all she will go home to a nanny, servants and as much rest as she needs. She will be on maternity leave which means she wont be seen in public for months if she does not want to...

other royal mothers can spend a few minutes showing off the baby.

She clearly intends to difference herself from her Sister-in-law [in this respect].
That is her absolute right, of course, but it will not pass un-noticed, nor unremarked.

Last edited:
But other royal mothers can spend a few mintutes showing off the baby. After all she will go home to a nanny, servants and as much rest as she needs. She will be on maternity leave which means she wont be seen in public for months if she does not want to...

And she is “showing off” the baby. There will be a photo call. So what is the issue exactly?

The question is should they have to mere hours after giving birth? And should it be in a situation where there are a lot of chaos around. Try to organize and block the street as you may, the situation outside of the hospital has always been chaotic with so many people around.

Besides, the baby will be shown a few days after the birth. Is it really that urgent that people see the baby the day of? In fact, I think hospitals are keeping first time mothers at the hospital for 3 days for observation in US now.

She clearly intends to difference herself from her Sister-in-law [in this respect].
That is her absolute right, of course, but it will not pass un-noticed, nor unremarked.

And what would the remark be just because the baby isn't shown outside of a hospital on the same day with people screaming and all? The Queen herself didn't do photo calls in public hours after birth of her children. The way I see it, this is starting to seem more like a return to tradition.

BTW, didn't you say your interest begins and ends with if the child is healthy when the possibility of skipping the photo call came up a few days ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
And she is “showing off” the baby. There will be a photo call. So what is the issue exactly?

I suspect that the issue is that the photo call will not be handled in the expected way. The expected way is the parents appearing at the hospital, either for a full on photo-op, or being snapped on the way out. I'm sure everyone will adjust to the new rules of engagement, but it is a change, so therefore the grumbling.

There's no rule that the Sussexes had to do things the expected way, but it's also not surprising that doing things their own way results in some commentary, negative or positive.

Every woman's experience with pregnancy and childbirth is unique, why should other women's choices have any bearing on what Meghan chooses to do? Her body, her choice. Would a two-day wait really be such a hardship for the British public?

It's her body, her birth and her baby. If she doesn't want to stand in front of photographers just mere hours after pushing a human being out of her womb, more power to her. It's ridiculous she is basically being bullied into doing something that doesn't sit well with her.

I suspect that the issue is that the photo call will not be handled in the expected way. The expected way is the parents appearing at the hospital, either for a full on photo-op, or being snapped on the way out. I'm sure everyone will adjust to the new rules of engagement, but it is a change, so therefore the grumbling.

There's no rule that the Sussexes had to do things the expected way, but it's also not surprising that doing things their own way results in some commentary, negative or positive.

That’s just sounds like entitlement to me. The Sussexes are doing the same thing just on a smaller scale. They not keeping anything from anyone. People acting like they own this baby which is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom