Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing of the announcement and the way it was worded actually is quite perfect.

A lot has been said that this tour is going to be a very busy one for Harry and Meghan. Just looking at their itinerary makes me a bit dizzy. Even in the easiest of pregnancies, a woman never knows just how she's going to feel from one day to the next and I don't think Meghan will be any different. Announcing the pregnancy puts into place a reason why should Meghan suddenly have to drop out of an event or take precautions doing something.

Also, having this pregnancy out in the open and established as fact will cut down on the speculations in the media and hopefully put more emphasis on where they are and what they are doing. Its impossible to curb the reporting on Meg's fashions (heck, I've been drawn into her fashions and I'm not that big of a fashionista kind of person).

Announcing it at the beginning of the tour draws the people she's going to meet and greet into a more personal perspective as now, the way I see it, those people Down Under have something extra special to remember about this visit. It also gives us a couple of weeks to watch and observe two very happy people about to have their first child and anyone that has ever followed Harry or Meghan or both *knows* this couple is one that do not hide what they're feeling.

No one is surprised at this pregnancy at all. It pretty much was a given that this couple would start a family as soon as they possibly could. Its a major goal that drew the two of them together. Anyone that has watched Harry at all with children can see his rapport with them and he's even wistfully said in interviews how badly he wanted his own home and family life.

If there's any animosity about how the announcement has been made by anybody be it Eugenie and Jack, the families or Aunt Gertrude's pet cockatoo, I am 99.9% sure its media constructed for headlines and not actual credible fact. No one is over the moon more than Harry and Meghan about this but I do think the rest of the world is also in a very happy orbit for them. :D

at least have facts straight. The announcement did say the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and so on are delighted for them. Princess Eugenie had her day, and the attention was over anyway as the Sussexes start this tour. The royal household likely knew that as the wedding photos were rolled out promptly. And have you seen the photos from the first day of the tour? No way would it have gone unnoticed. It’s quite obvious why she wore that coat at the wedding. No way she would’ve made it through this tour without getting slammed with is she or isn’t she discussions. She’s already had her 12 week scan before the wedding, and is rumored to be as far along as 15 weeks, it’s more than adequate and reasonable to announce now. Especially given they had to make some arrangements in the schedule for her condition in Fiji and Tonga.

ETA: They likely actually delayed this announcement due to Eugenie's wedding. It would've been far easier if they could've announced slightly more ahead of the tour rather than announcing on foreign soil. However, that was pretty much the only option they had given the wedding. Can you imagine the attention on her at the wedding had they announced in the weeks leading up to the wedding?

1) I think I have the facts straight:

"Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019.

Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public."

Form: https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duchess-sussex-are-expecting-baby

If there was another Press Release I'm not aware of, please, send me a link. Thank you.

2) Weekly magazines covering the wedding have not come out, yet. I'm sure articles/covers will be changed last minute. Princess Eugenie's wedding was a great success and I believe it is in the interest of the entire Royal Family to make sure it remains in the news a bit longer if possible. Have you noticed how much the causes she champions have been mentioned and talked about in the past few days? I think it's important.

3) I have seen the pictures from their first day of the tour and honestly, I haven't seen anything much different than this https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol...217.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

or this https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8a32cf51fc6bd0a4c765bc829df4ccc0

This of course may change in a week.

4) I do agree that announcing it before Princess Eugenie would have been worse. I just think that they could have waited a few more days.

5) The coat the Duchess wore at Princess Eugenie's wedding was completely unnecessary. Let's be honest about that.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/16/07/5082132-6280181-image-a-68_1539670551018.jpg

This said, I'm sure they felt more comfortable announcing it now. It would be easier if she had to drop out of a commitment to let the public know why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at Meghan from a side view and comparing her side by side from several months ago, it is obvious. The coat was necessary imo.

I was confused too, until I looked back and caught up with the conversation. I believe Chloep is referencing 'baby hairs' in the sense of new growth hair at Meghan's hairline which comes in frizzier if you miss hair-straightening treatments or touch-ups. ?

Having curly hair is not strictly an African-American thing. 'African-American, black, white,' etc are just man-made labels in any case. The point is that when you become pregnant, you have to consider being careful with using harsh chemicals, as well as watching what you eat and being overall careful in general because you have to consider the baby's health. Here's more down low on pregnancy and taking precautions regarding hair-straightening treatments:
https://ninenaturals.com/blogs/news/the-straight-story-on-hair-straightening-during-pregnancy

Now that you mentioned it, I vaguely remember being concerned in the beginning about getting a relaxer. It’ll be interesting to see what she does during her pregnancy. I remember reading that her hair is a lot straighter than it used to be because she’s straighten it so much. I thought she does blowouts now though

"Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019.

Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public."

If there was another Press Release I'm not aware of, please, send me a link. Thank you.

I think there was a second statement. I’m not sure if it was on Twitter or on the website but it mentioned the family in that one. I’m not sure. They could have just consolidated the messages lol.

I agree with you that she’s not really showing much. I think she’s probably closer to 12-14 weeks. I am short-waisted and showed a little earlier than most. She’s just barely showing. It’s probably more bloating than anything like someone above mentioned.

Last edited:
Why do you think the official announcement didn't say anything about the Queen or Prince Charles being delighted with the news or some sort of similar statement like for the Cambridges? I find it odd.
I've read that there was pressure form KP to delay the announcement till after the Australian tour. I wonder if there was some tension about it. She doesn't even really show so I think they could have postponed it if they wanted to, and at the same time leave the attention on Princess Eugenie for a few more days. This said, I'm positive the immediate family are thrilled with the news.

If the Duchess is really 12 or even 14 weeks pregnant as rumored, I don't see why she only told the family on Eugenie's wedding day. Afterwards, I agree there was no need or reason "to leave the attention on Princess Eugenie for a few more days", but announcing to the family on the wedding day looks very insensitive to me, especially when she could easily have done it before.

Imagine a universe where an over-the-moon in love couple enjoy a fabulous wedding weekend and another over-the-moon in love newlywed couple are expecting and announce it publicly at the beginning of a working tour while the first couple are off on honeymoon days.

We live in that universe. Blessings abound and weddings and tours are precision events planned by man. Babies arriving is a bit fuzzier area but I think the BRF tag-teamed the wedding and baby announcements seamlessly.

Having said that----it was a given that a two week tour to Australia with Harry and Meghan was going to draw more press attention than the York wedding. Very famous Brit with his famous American bride who has been covered non-stop for over two years vs a lovely but much lower profile appealing young couple who's most scandalous family interaction is from the bride's loving parents.

Looking forward to the arrival of the sweet Sussex baby!!!! :flowers:

Even in the easiest of pregnancies, a woman never knows just how she's going to feel from one day to the next and I don't think Meghan will be any different. Announcing the pregnancy puts into place a reason why should Meghan suddenly have to drop out of an event or take precautions doing something.

Also, having this pregnancy out in the open and established as fact will cut down on the speculations in the media and hopefully put more emphasis on where they are and what they are doing. Its impossible to curb the reporting on Meg's fashions (heck, I've been drawn into her fashions and I'm not that big of a fashionista kind of person).

Good points!

Where does that "announcing to the family on the wedding day" come from? What I have read is the members congratulate them during the wedding.

2) Weekly magazines covering the wedding have not come out, yet. I'm sure articles/covers will be changed last minute. Princess Eugenie's wedding was a great success and I believe it is in the interest of the entire Royal Family to make sure it remains in the news a bit longer if possible. Have you noticed how much the causes she champions have been mentioned and talked about in the past few days? I think it's important.

3) I have seen the pictures from their first day of the tour and honestly, I haven't seen anything much different than this https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol...217.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

or this https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8a32cf51fc6bd0a4c765bc829df4ccc0

This of course may change in a week.

4) I do agree that announcing it before Princess Eugenie would have been worse. I just think that they could have waited a few more days.

5) The coat the Duchess wore at Princess Eugenie's wedding was completely unnecessary. Let's be honest about that.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/16/07/5082132-6280181-image-a-68_1539670551018.jpg

This said, I'm sure they felt more comfortable announcing it now. It would be easier if she had to drop out of a commitment to let the public know why.
No, you don't have the facts straight:

1. An extended statement was released, and was shared widely in media outlets about the members of royal family and Doria and their feeling on the pregnancy.

“The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted for the couple and were able to congratulate them on Friday at the wedding in person,” said the statement.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/megha...ce-harrys-first-child?source=articles&via=rss

2. I'm not sure which weekly magazines do you mean? All the Sunday papers have run, if they are going to run the front cover for Eugenie's wedding. If they didn't, that's already done too. If you are talking about People and US Weekly, they won't. Simply because these are US based magazines, and there isn't much interest in US. They didn't even run any covers with Eugenie during the entire time she was engaged. Not even a little side on the cover. Hello is still doing a special edition. So nothing got eclipsed. Like I said earlier, the attention on the wedding is over regardless if they are pregnant or not.

3. The photos you chose are particularly misleading. You used photos from before that is at the most unflattering angle and a lot more close up to a photo where you can't see much of her sideways and further away, which is the angle where her bump is most obvious. Someone has already posted a side by side from similar angles, and it is more than obvious something is going on there. She also has 15 more days to go, which could lead to a lot more changes at this stage in her pregnancy. Regardless, the rule is to announce after 12 weeks. While we don't have official word on exactly how far along she was, we know she's had her 12 week scan, and based on how fast they had to leave UK after the wedding, it's definitely before the wedding even if we don't know how far ahead exactly. There is no reason why they should have to wait anymore. With any such announcements, you want to get ahead of the story, not wait and wait and wait and refuse to comment while the reporters are banging on your door. That's why most announcement will come right around 12 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Duchess is really 12 or even 14 weeks pregnant as rumored, I don't see why she only told the family on Eugenie's wedding day. Afterwards, I agree there was no need or reason "to leave the attention on Princess Eugenie for a few more days", but announcing to the family on the wedding day looks very insensitive to me, especially when she could easily have done it before.

Quite frankly I don't believe they only told the family at the wedding. I think that is tabloid drama and the family was told earlier. Some extended family members may have heard the news at the wedding but I don't think there was an actual announcement. That would have been all over the media given the twitter addiction of some of the wedding guests.

There was no way to wait any longer in announcing it, speculation would have been through the roof on this tour. Meghan has looked different for at least a month now.

3. The photos you chose are particularly misleading. You used photos from before that is at the most unflattering angle and a lot more close up to a photo where you can't see much of her sideways and further away, which is the angle where her bump is most obvious. Someone has already posted a side by side from similar angles, and it is more than obvious something is going on there. She also has 15 more days to go, which could lead to a lot more changes at this stage in her pregnancy. Regardless, the rule is to announce after 12 weeks. While we don't have official word on exactly how far along she was, we know she's had her 12 week scan, and based on how fast they had to leave UK after the wedding, it's definitely before the wedding even if we don't know how far ahead exactly. There is no reason why they should have to wait anymore. With any such announcements, you want to get ahead of the story, not wait and wait and wait and refuse to comment while the reporters are banging on your door. That's why most announcement will come right around 12 weeks.

It was Pranter that posted those photos but they got deleted I think from the fashion thread since they were actual photos. I wish she'd post the link to them. They were good illustrations.

Last edited:
I think that those closest to Meghan and Harry knew of the pregnancy long before the announcement or revealing of the pregnancy at the wedding reception.

Receptions are celebrations and a chance for an entire family to be in one place all at the same time. Great time to let people know of an impending birth. Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges may have known for weeks but family like Anne's branch probably heard it first at the reception. I would even imagine that Harry and Meghan informed Eugenie and Jack first before a general announcement was made to the guests or they just quietly informed family members in general conversations. We don't know the details actually.

It didn't steal anybody's thunder. In my eyes, all it could have done was make the celebrations even more joyous. Happy news does that to people. It isn't a big deal and any big deal or "shocking revelation" most likely are all media exaggerations.

They didn't announce at the wedding. The statement said the family had chance to congratulate them in person at the wedding, and everyone else ran with it the wrong way because how else are you going to make something out of nothing?

Last edited:
ITV and other media have been stating the immediate family were informed days before. I don't get why people would actually believe that would make such a grand announcement in the middle of someone else's big day. Tabloid nonsense. The statement doesn't even say that.

It is not surprising that the wedding was the 1st time many had seen the Sussexes in a while. So a personal congrats by the various family members while all together makes complete sense. It would be the perfect time especially when them immediately head out to Australia.

As for Meghan not showing? She definitely is. Her body has changed a lot in the past few months which is why the rumors started in the 1st place. It is noticeable on someone as small as Meghan.

In many of the videos and pictures her bump was pretty noticeable depending in the angle she was standing. The video of them getting their official baby presents, she walked in and it was clear as day.

She is likely 14 to 16 weeks along. During pregnancy your body can do anything and everything. She can literally pop out and then what? Can't pretend she didn't. With all the rumors getting louder and louder it was wise to just jump in front of it.

Worked out well and now they control the narrative.

Well, if anyone needs confirmation that immediate family knew about the baby before the wedding, Grandpa Charles said he's toasted the news...several time. :lol:

Hannah Furness

Verified account

@Hannah_Furness
Follow Follow @Hannah_Furness
More
During a visit to the Royal Lochnagar Distillery in Aberdeenshire, the Prince of Wales was today asked whether he had toasted news of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby, his grandchild.
"Oh yes, absolutely," he said, sampling a 30-year-old malt. "Several times."

Video in the link.

Last edited:
How is this turning into a negative. I can't believe something so joyous can be turned sour. There was clearly something visible going on, people have been speculating for weeks. The more loose clothes she wore the more people would question is she or isn't she and the less attention would be on the tour activities and purpose. Now everyone knows and the show can go on.

I think everyone’s pretty excited and no one is really be negative just discussing and speculations on all sides. It’s a forum. Everyone just relax and stop reading into other posters’ comments.

During a visit to the Royal Lochnagar Distillery in Aberdeenshire, the Prince of Wales was today asked whether he had toasted news of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby, his grandchild.
"Oh yes, absolutely," he said, sampling a 30-year-old malt. "Several times."

Video in the link.

Charles's big smile is adorable. He has another grandbaby to spoil rotten.

Again they did not announce anything at the wedding reception. It was a joyous family occasion which allowed the family to congratulate them in person. That happens in most family occasions you get together and talk and share because you might now have a chance to meet again.

As always people are looking for anything to be mad about.

i thought they had to announce it right after the wedding because meghan was starting to show, but seeing her in that tight white dress is australia made me think this was not the case. not sure why they couldn't wait a couple of days until eugenie and jack's wedding bash was over. it was not polite to steal their thunder.

i thought they had to announce it right after the wedding because meghan was starting to show, but seeing her in that tight white dress is australia made me think this was not the case. not sure why they couldn't wait a couple of days until eugenie and jack's wedding bash was over. it was not polite to steal their thunder.

The bash was over on SATURDAY. How many days do you need for a one day wedding on Friday.

They announced on MONDAY after the wedding was OVER. That is not stealing thunder.

They are going on a tour and its best to announce now rather than during the tour. She actually is showing enough that people will ask questions.

Who announces something like this in the middle of the tour? The ideal situation would've been to do it as soon as she reaches 12 weeks, but before the tour. I can't remember the last time a royal waited until she's showing to announce a pregnancy if they didn't start showing signs before 12 weeks (other's than Kate's situation, but that's entirely different). And she is obviously showing to those that follow her regularly (especially the reporters) and know this is unusually for her physique.

And really, someone has their big day and it is absolutely theirs. BUT YOU GET ONE DAY.

Abraham Lincoln once said ""You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." I'd like to add on to this statement stating "You cannot fool dedicated royal watchers at all". :D

Even with pregnancy speculations being a no-no in these threads, there are many among us that quickly picked up on things such as how her clothing was fitting lately and the state of her baby hairs. Most noticed this through photographs of Meghan out and about. If it is that easy for us dedicated royal watchers to spot something like this, the chances of the royal reporters picking up on it would be just about the same, I bet.

The wedding was well over with and Eugenie and Jack starting married life and Harry and Meghan departed the UK for a grueling, extensive tour Down Under. It just makes sense to announce the pregnancy publicly, get it out in the open and keep on keeping on with the tour.

I think it was perfect timing myself. ?

Hmm...I can't understand all the fuss about when Harry and Meghan told their families about the baby. I'm not famous like them of course, but if I discovered I was pregnant I would tell my family right away even if there was a wedding in the family or not. If they told before, on the moment or after is up to them, and I'm sure no one in their family got angry or upstaged for it.
I really can't understand since when a pregnancy must be hidden not to upstage someone's wedding, that's ridiculous...but then again I'm neither royalty neither celebrity to understand all this...sorry...nonsense.

I don’t know how I’d feel if someone announced their pregnancy at my wedding. It’s depend on who it was. However, I do know that it’s considered rude to a lot of people including some of my family and friends.

BUT the press release didn’t indicate one way or another if the couple announced it at the wedding or before just that they were congratulated by the family there. I read it the second way but it could be interpreted either way. We’ll never know for sure.

Everyone has their opinion and is stating it politely. I’m not understanding what the big deal is. It’s perfectly acceptable to talk about and no one is dragging them. Regardless, It’s been talked about to death on both sides here and elsewhere. Everyone have stated their opinions. I think there’s so much else to talk about so...

Sush a wonderful news congratulation them and their families

I don’t know how I’d feel if someone announced their pregnancy at my wedding. It’s depend on who it was. However, I do know that it’s considered rude to a lot of people including some of my family and friends.

BUT the press release didn’t indicate one way or another if the couple announced it at the wedding or before just that they were congratulated by the family there. I read it the second way but it could be interpreted either way. We’ll never know for sure.

Everyone has their opinion and is stating it politely. I’m not understanding what the big deal is. It’s perfectly acceptable to talk about and no one is dragging them. Regardless, It’s been talked about to death on both sides here and elsewhere. Everyone have stated their opinions. I think there’s so much else to talk about so...
Yes you're right, everyone is different indeed. For me and my family, it won't be a big deal if someone close were to announce baby news at one's wedding. But Harry and Meghan are free to announce to their loved ones when they want to, besides, no one new officially on Eugenie's wedding day (the media and us), so no problem at all. I just think this debate is just meaningless (of course this is a forum to discuss, but sometimes things get off-topic most of the times, and get radical too).

But I'm soooo happy for them!!! I will surely follow this pregnancy.

I don't think it was just this one issue, but everything else that was said as well.

And as someone mentioned, it was 850 guests, if they really announced it, it would've made the news so fast, we'd heard it that day on social media. Even if you tell your second cousin whom you haven't seen since Christmas isn't announcing anything.

Telegraph is reporting that the Sussexes didn't even go to the evening reception and left early. And she's obviously not going to drink at the lunch reception either. If she finally took off her coat once inside, that combination is going to be very obvious to anyone nearby. I'd actually ask if I know the person well.

I get what you’re saying and I agree. To me, they probably didn’t tell everyone that day. Plus, I just don’t get the impression that Harry and Meghan are those kind of people. Harry might inadvertently blurt something out because he gets excited and can’t take it anymore. Meghan seems like she wouldn’t want to do that at someone else’s wedding. Which is why I think she wore the outfit she did at the wedding. She didn’t want to add to speculation and upstage Jack and Eugenie’s big day.

Also, the family all seem fine and happy so I don’t think any of this is a big deal. Everyone is just celebrating a baby.

Well I haven't been here in awhile but this baby news is so exciting, I'm in the mood to discuss and speculate again.

So thrilled for Harry and Meghan and really look forward to seeing Meghan's glow and growing bump. Daddy Harry should be a sight to see too. Can't wait! :D

I really don't mean to sound rude or inconsiderate but a pregnancy announcement involving two senior royals should not be further delayed for the benefit of a minor royal and her husband. A wedding bash that was over by the time the announcement was made, anyhow. Kinda strange to me that some think Eugenie deserved more spotlight or attention when she isn't even a working royal. Didn't Andrew reiterate that this was a private wedding? One could hardly tell but in any case, I think Eugenie got more than enough focus.

I do not believe Harry and Meghan announced the pregnancy at the wedding either. I interpreted the statement exactly how it read, which is that the family congratulated them at the wedding. I am sure the immediate family all knew beforehand.

Last edited:

H& M did wait a couple days after Eugenie & Jack's wedding to officially announce--how many days should they have waited?

Sorry, but I disagree-Meghan is definitely showing. They needed to announce before the tour really got started.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what problem there could be with the date of this lovely announcement. I'm quite sure in recent years there have been similar time-frames for announcements like this after a major royal event. Quite simply, a royal announcement is made when a royal announcement is made and the timing should thus be accepted without question because announcements are made to suit the Royal Family.

I'm really please for Harry and Meghan and have no concerns or worries whatsoever for the Duchess during the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom