General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but what would she talk about? She's only been in the royal family for two years so not that. There were other actors who were far more successful - if they wanted a female actor to speak I'd think they'd hire Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren. I guess they could talk about their charities but they're not really off the ground yet. I think as they get farther down the line they'd make better public speakers but for now there's not much they can talk about. I'd hope Harry isn't planning on making a living talking about his mother.

I was replying to a query as to whether Meghan would be good at public speaking or not, rather than what she'd speak about.

They need that amount to make a living. These speaking engagements overall are going to be few and far between for the next little while, and the Sussex pair are no where near the top tier of speakers. So $50-100k a speech isn’t going to cut it.

Plus they’ll be somewhat geographically limited as well. I doubt them getting paid to speak in the UK or a commonwealth country will go over too well.

That's why they wanted to settle in or near teh US. I expect they will make some money but I dont think tehy will do as well as they expected..Meghan may know the ropes of public speaking but she does not have much to talk about that will make money. Harry is the one who is the draw and even he wont have that much to talk about. Esp. in today's climate I can't imagine companies or organizations paying a large sum of money to hear him talk about his mental health or how he lost his mother. Honestly I dont know why anyone would want to hear this at all but it appears that that's what his first speech was about.

I for one would not be surprised if he does became a board member of several companies. I think the Clintons, Obamas and Bush's are. Also a smackering of celebrities are - adds a little bit of glitter to a company. I would expect Harry to became a board member of something. Might be interesting to see how he would handle divided loyalties in UK and US trade relations or indeed commitment to the environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
About Meghan public speaking skills this is essentially what my former public speaking professor (turned friend) and a speaker himself said to me when I showed him Meghan speeche and Harry’s (and he already saw some of Catherine) (not a word to word quote btw):
She is better than Harry and Catherine but she is only better because she appears confident when speaking, but once you weed that out and actually listens to her words she is a pretty poor speaker, because she rarely says anything truly deep and meaningful and she seems to painfully focus on herself.

About Meghan public speaking skills this is essentially what my former public speaking professor (turned friend) and a speaker himself said to me when I showed him Meghan speeche and Harry’s (and he already saw some of Catherine) (not a word to word quote btw):
She is better than Harry and Catherine but she is only better because she appears confident when speaking, but once you weed that out and actually listens to her words she is a pretty poor speaker, because she rarely says anything truly deep and meaningful and she seems to painfully focus on herself.

I would imagine that Meghan is a better speaker than Harry or Kate if only because she has been trained as an actress. It woudl be odd, honestly, if she wasn't reasonably accomplished in public speaking...

I for one would not be surprised if he does became a board member of several companies. I think the Clintons, Obamas and Bush's are. Also a smackering of celebrities are - adds a little bit of glitter to a company. I would expect Harry to became a board member of something. Might be interesting to see how he would handle divided loyalties in UK and US trade relations or indeed commitment to the environment.

I am not sure they would add much to the Board of a company. They do not have commercial, legal or finance experience, nor do they bring experience of dealing with with being part of governments at the highest levels.

Not that I know what Boards the Clintons or Obama's are part of, but Bill and Hillary have been President and Secretary of State / Senator respectively; Barack as served as President and Michelle was a lawyer in a former life.

I am not sure they would add much to the Board of a company. They do not have commercial, legal or finance experience, nor do they bring experience of dealing with with being part of governments at the highest levels.

Not that I know what Boards the Clintons or Obama's are part of, but Bill and Hillary have been President and Secretary of State / Senator respectively; Barack as served as President and Michelle was a lawyer in a former life.

They havea name and title but I agree I dont think that would cut much ice nowadays.

I seriously doubt that any reputable company would offer them a seat on their board. Like you said, they are a Prince and a former actress, nothing to do with the business world. Also, like it or not, they are controversial due to the way they choose to exit their royal duties. This can have a negative impact on any company's marketability.

I seriously doubt that any reputable company would offer them a seat on their board. Like you said, they are a Prince and a former actress, nothing to do with the business world. Also, like it or not, they are controversial due to the way they choose to exit their royal duties. This can have a negative impact on any company's marketability.

Except the average person has no clue about anything to do with the BRF nor do they care.

LaRae

Except the average person has no clue about anything to do with the BRF nor do they care.

LaRae

Still not sure what they might add to a corporate board!

LaRae

True, but the only reason anyone would want to add them to their board is because of their royal status, to attract a customer base that is aware of and interested in Royals. That base knows and cares

I don't think they'll sit on any board other than their own foundation's. It may turn out that everything they do going into the future will be connected to Archewell Global Foundation once it is launched and active. They may end up cooperating as a foundation with other incentives and programs similar to how their work with the Royal Foundation often had sponsors like Jaguar for the Invictus Games.

I'm not going to predict anything of what they'll do or not do until we actually see a business plan and the launch of their foundation. Right now, they're facing the pandemic (which nobody could have predicted) and if not for the pandemic, we'd probably know a lot more than we do now. In the meantime, they're just keeping busy where they can.

LaRae

The average person isn't usually a member of the board of a large corporation. And I doubt if any business would want to do business with another firm based on whether they had a royal on their board.

Other royals (won’t name them) have apparently been ‘rainmakers’ for companies. They don’t make speeches, they just show up at functions, etc, as an attraction to increase attendance, donations, whatever. That’s a dignified way to earn money, and they only have to show up and be charming.

What do they do that's so charming that it induces other companies to do business with tehm?

Some of those royals have also got into trouble for allegedly using their connections and status to help out a commercial enterprise in a way that crosses the line, been caught out when the companies have been in the news for being dodgy or using funds from their new friends/colleagues in an immoral or illegal way. Or something like "cash for access" that was partly about Andrew's role as Special Trade Envoy.

I'm not saying they can't or won't do it or various companies wouldn't be interested because they probably would. But It's not a risk free way to earn money, especially if they aren't careful about which companies they might choose or step over the line and use their "Royal Cards" in a commercial way and they'll want to be careful about their image.

People will attend functions to meet them (or whatever well-known person), not to get financial advice. The businesses or charities who sponsor a function benefit from the attention a well-known person brings to their organization. They are not expecting retired athletes or second tier entertainers or minor royals to put together financial deals for them. The attendees enjoy the prestige of mingling with the famous guests, and the guests provide glamour and small talk.

The Clintons and Obamas and even Chelsea Clinton have advanced degrees in fields that corporations and non-profits value, and when you add their careers, personal networks of power players and pretty steady and reliable public opinions, you can see the desirability. I agree with you there, Muriel.

Harry and Meghan are a different breed of cat. I can see them being on a board or two of non-profits who need their star wattage to raise funds, but what does it say about them if they are paid a lot to do so? If they went on the board of a Fortune 500 company I had stock in, I would short it.

This is a bit loony, but here goes …. I think they have to have a TV show or Netflix series or podcast or another sort of regularly scheduled program where they feature people who make a difference or have something to say. The Royals are at their best when highlighting the work of others. That's the whole point of HM's garden parties. Recognizing people who go the distance and contribute to their communities, sometimes for 50 plus years.

This is a bit loony, but here goes …. I think they have to have a TV show or Netflix series or podcast or another sort of regularly scheduled program where they feature people who make a difference or have something to say. The Royals are at their best when highlighting the work of others. That's the whole point of HM's garden parties. Recognizing people who go the distance and contribute to their communities, sometimes for 50 plus years.

So, should we look at them as 'private royals'? Given that they formally left royal life behind but most of what they seem to want to do (and what is suggested for them) is 'do royal-type work' and make a profit out of it (either for themselves and/or for charity).

There are plenty of celebrities and people with little education or business who sit on boards of big companies.

I think people are going to find themselves greatly disappointed was the crash and burn they expect of these two, and seem to hope for, doesn't happen. The he is not the heir, no one will be interested, really wont pan out.

Meghan and Harry both have experience working with major charities and organizations. They would not have a problem getting on the board of organizations, the big ones pay their board, not volunteers. There are many organizations interested in working with veterans and promoting that, and Harry's experience with Invictus, Walking with the wounded and his own service will be a draw. Meghan made quite a good business for herself with her blog and such before she met Harry.

They both have plenty which will bring people to listen to them as guest speakers. D list reality starts get speaking tours, Meghan and Harry certainly will have no issue doing the same.

So, should we look at them as 'private royals'? Given that they formally left royal life behind but most of what they seem to want to do (and what is suggested for them) is 'do royal-type work' and make a profit out of it (either for themselves and/or for charity).

That could well be the direction of travel.

People will attend functions to meet them (or whatever well-known person), not to get financial advice. The businesses or charities who sponsor a function benefit from the attention a well-known person brings to their organization. They are not expecting retired athletes or second tier entertainers or minor royals to put together financial deals for them. The attendees enjoy the prestige of mingling with the famous guests, and the guests provide glamour and small talk.

Im curious as to how much glamour the BRF memebrs would produce....

Very true... but they will need to make the money for themselves, rather tahn for charity.

There are plenty of celebrities and people with little education or business who sit on boards of big companies.

I think people are going to find themselves greatly disappointed was the crash and burn they expect of these two, and seem to hope for, doesn't happen. The he is not the heir, no one will be interested, really wont pan out.

Meghan and Harry both have experience working with major charities and organizations. They would not have a problem getting on the board of organizations, the big ones pay their board, not volunteers. There are many organizations interested in working with veterans and promoting that, and Harry's experience with Invictus, Walking with the wounded and his own service will be a draw. Meghan made quite a good business for herself with her blog and such before she met Harry.

They both have plenty which will bring people to listen to them as guest speakers. D list reality starts get speaking tours, Meghan and Harry certainly will have no issue doing the same.
Who is going to pay masses of money, in the present horrifying climate for 2 ex royals to talk? What are they going to talk about? How many times can Harry trot out about his mental health or his mother's sad death? And how are they going to make the sort of money they need, from sitting on the boards of charities?

Some of those royals have also got into trouble for allegedly using their connections and status to help out a commercial enterprise in a way that crosses the line, been caught out when the companies have been in the news for being dodgy or using funds from their new friends/colleagues in an immoral or illegal way. Or something like "cash for access" that was partly about Andrew's role as Special Trade Envoy.

I'm not saying they can't or won't do it or various companies wouldn't be interested because they probably would. But It's not a risk free way to earn money, especially if they aren't careful about which companies they might choose or step over the line and use their "Royal Cards" in a commercial way and they'll want to be careful about their image.

That is why the queen has stipulated that they can't use their HRH in a commercial setting. Even so, I agree its possible that they could get involved in controversy as businesses often arouse controversy, and that might impinge on their image... There has been more than one minor Royal who has had to quit business work because of controversy of this kind.... Even if Meg and Harry have already quit their royal role, if they want to be noticed as philanthropists and socially conscious people, a career of raising money through business may well create situations which will go against their career image of being charitable movers and shakers.

Who is going to pay masses of money, in the present horrifying climate for 2 ex royals to talk? What are they going to talk about? How many times can Harry trot out about his mental health or his mother's sad death? And how are they going to make the sort of money they need, from sitting on the boards of charities?
And as they're not working royals, they could certainly do hands on charity work. They are free now to break with the old traditions and devote themselves to a more hands on, doing something practical role.

Quite possibly, expect IG based influecing driven revenues, and probably some indirect product endorsements.

Quite possibly, expect IG based influecing driven revenues, and probably some indirect product endorsements.

Im not sure what IG based influencing driven revenues is...

That is why the queen has stipulated that they can't use their HRH in a commercial setting. Even so, I agree its possible that they could get involved in controversy as businesses often arouse controversy, and that might impinge on their image... There has been more than one minor Royal who has had to quit business work because of controversy of this kind.... Even if Meg and Harry have already quit their royal role, if they want to be noticed as philanthropists and socially conscious people, a career of raising money through business may well create situations which will go against their career image of being charitable movers and shakers.

I realise they aren't supposed to use their HRH in a commercial way, but what I meant by "royal card" was getting caught in a situation where they're using their HRHs implicit or explicitly in business even though they aren't supposed to or some sort of "fake Sheikh" type sting bragging about connections to impress someone.

Yes the other thing would be controversy concerning theoretical ties to a company that didn't fit their social conscious, philanthropic image but was paying them a lot of money. They certainly wouldn't be the only ones with that problem though.

I do think they would have made some good money for a while on the after dinner speaker circuit. Long term it would depend on the reputations they gained as being popular/worth the money speakers as to whether it was a sustainable source of income. With Covid that's obviously much more up in the air and not worth as much via Zoom and not worth it at all as companies scramble to save money/cut costs in the wake of it. Especially as people will be much more wary of crowded ballrooms for a while.

I think that it would always have been a short term thing, public speaking.. Its reputed that Harry was paid a lot for his speech a few months ago, and that it was about his mental health. Now honestly I don't know why people would want to hear about that anyway, and to pay him a huge sum to talk about it seems positively bizarre to me. But I'll assume that he had a chance to make money like that, for maybe a couple of years.. However now, I dont think that businesses will be willing to pay massive sums for someone who has a limited number of things to talk about. Meg could go back to Hollywood.. but again, are there going to be a lot of films made for sometime to come? Probably not.
And they can sit on the boards of charities but ideally they should be doing that for free.. Even if paid it is not going to bring them in vast sums of money.
I see what you mean about possibly getting cuaght using their royal connections in some way and I hope they would have had the examples of Sophie and Andrew and Fergie...

I realise they aren't supposed to use their HRH in a commercial way, but what I meant by "royal card" was getting caught in a situation where they're using their HRHs implicit or explicitly in business even though they aren't supposed to or some sort of "fake Sheikh" type sting bragging about connections to impress someone.

Yes the other thing would be controversy concerning theoretical ties to a company that didn't fit their social conscious, philanthropic image but was paying them a lot of money. They certainly wouldn't be the only ones with that problem though.

Are you referring to Prince Michael of Kent?
I know people once called him the Rent-A-Royal.

The discussion about Harry and Meghan’s visit to Homeboy Industries in LA, has been moved to the Current Events thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom