General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're living in the reign of Elizabeth II, not Elizabeth I! We don't have everyone living at court, plotting against each other.

Not on life and death, but in every firm, you can have al kinds of obstruction and opposition that make one's life hard.

B.t.w. I don't think that Prince Harry meant that the Corona crisis in the UK was not that bad.
He criticised the way the gutter press reports about the Corona crisis. Always highlightening the worst case scenario. That could make people feel that all is hopeless.

Last edited:
Sorry if I used the word "court" to include all people who keep the monarchy working in the several palaces. But there are so many reports about warring staff (War of the Waleses??) and believe me, such things don't simply end. Plus people whose ancestors already worked for the Royals have their own opinions about how the Royals should be or not be and that leads to acting. It's human behaviour and I don't think you can just say it doesn't exist anymore.

You are correct that there is still a 'court' or royal household within the palace, their duty is to the Crown.
Not to Meghan or Harry or anybody else but to the Crown.
The truth is none of us really know what went on behind the scenes, who said what to whom, or who did what.
We have to go by what we read whether it be on social media, newsprint, books or even documentaries.
It is also true that whoever 'leaks' a story is doing so for a reason, you only have to go back to the 'War of the Wales' to understand that.

Books are written for a particular angle, to enable a narrative.

Somebody wanting to do things differently does not make them a bad person , likewise people who do not think the change is a good idea for the bigger picture does not make them bad people.

Sometimes patience and goodwill is necessary.

It does not mean that somebody is being picked on or bullied because they are told no.

I also find it quite interesting when it suits the narrative to believe the 'stories' but at other times it is all ' rubbish' and the media are terrible.
We either believe everything we read or we take everything with a pinch of salt. I am inclined to think there is an element of truth in most things but just be aware of the spin.

If he/they wanted a private life why couldn't they just get 'normal' jobs and then quietly volunteer on their days off like most of us do? Why try to do it in such a public way?

That's a good question & one which other, especially British posters, have asked before. Harry's good with kids & Meghan clearly has a social conscience. There must be lots of youth centres, schools, homeless hostels, women's shelters etc all over the Commonwealth that are crying out for staff, paid or not. It's not as if they need a big salary to survive. Lots of lovely peaceful places to raise a family in Canada, Australia & NZ & yes the US.

The British are a pretty cynical lot at the best of times but we recognise authenticity when we see it. That's why The Queen is so respected by many.

Last edited:
That's a good question & one which other, especially British posters, have asked before. Harry's good with kids & Meghan clearly has a social conscience. There must be lots of youth centres, schools, homeless hostels, women's shelters etc all over the Commonwealth that are crying out for staff paid or not. It's not as if they need a big salary to survive. Lots of lovely peaceful places to raise a family in Canada, Australia & NZ & yes the US.

The British are a pretty cynical lot at the best of times but we recognise authenticity when we see it. That's why The Queen is so respected by many.

Because that's not what they want? If they really wanted tot be out of the media headlgihts and not have to answer to the RF and obey the various strictures of being royal, they could have led a quiet life.. of course there would be security concerns at least for a while... but I think if that was what they wanted, they could have had it... But it would mean living on less money, it would also mean giving up saying they wanted to be "financially independent".. I think that if they'd gone to Canada, settled there, and led a private life, Charles would have helped them out financially but the British tax payer should not have to pay for their security. But it would mean a certain dependence on Charles...and it would mean keeping their heads down.
If that was what they wanted to do, they would still have gotten criticism, for walking out on the royal duties they had just taken up.. but if they were genuinely looking for a private life and accepting that it meant less glitz and less luxury, I think the press would have gotten bored, the public would have accepted it and they would have quietly been able to lead ther quiet life.

But they said those things about earnring an income and wanting to be financially independent, and IMO that showed where they were really going...

The Sussexes are getting on with their lives, they have been helping out their local community as well as charities that they worked with in the UK (WellChild, Hubb Community, Veterans, ProjectAngelFood) all within the last two weeks. They are also setting clear and healthy boundaries and have indicated that there are some publications they won't work with...and for good reason.

I love how the Sussexes are showing so many that you can set expectations and boundaries for how you are treated and how to show courage and take action when you are bullied.

Last edited by a moderator:
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, along with Archie, have just held a video call with Her Majesty The Queen to wish her a happy birthday.”

This information was released, to the press, by the couples spokesperson.

Why did they feel the need to release this information? The BRF already told the press yesterday that the family would have private calls with the queen and no videos/images would be released.

I assume her children and other grandchildren also called... but didn't feel the need to make a statement about their private lives.

You make it sound like they are complete victims, that they did no wrong, that Harry is just an honest, betrayed army man and Meghan is a meek wife just following her husband.

IMO this is far from the truth.

Meghan has no intention of leading a private life. Thousands of people are able to support their favorite charities without it being made into a public spectacle but Meghan (and Harry dragged along) cannot seem to do that.

The charity that they were photographed delivering meals for stated clearly on their website that they were NOT accepting volunteers and were hiring people to do the deliveries. So why was an exception made for Harry and Meghan? I seriously doubt that H&M's staff did not do basic research on the charity's website for their current volunteer policies. So, either the charity hoodwinked them for publicity or more likely they willingly participated to get positive PR. Another big problem that I have is with the charity being founded by and closely associated with a former 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate. As senior royals they would have never been allowed to associate with this charity as it violates the political neutrality stance that Royal families observe.

Please be reminded that this thread is not for discussing royal finances or royal titles. Accordingly, off-topic posts have been removed. Do please stay on topic and avoid circular discussions. Thank you.

Why did they feel the need to release this information? The BRF already told the press yesterday that the family would have private calls with the queen and no videos/images would be released.

I assume her children and other grandchildren also called... but didn't feel the need to make a statement about their private lives.

My cynical view: To remind everyone they remain the grandson and great-grandson of the monarch and thus Royalty

Right? They probably wanted to show people that they still care, but honestly, I'm rolling my eyes. BP went out of there way a few days ago to say that any video conferencing, etc.. would be private. I guess H and M didn't get the memo. I really don't think that they needed to have a PR person announce this as, like you said, we all could have assumed that they would have contacted HM.

All the social media accounts publicly posted a Happy Birthday message to her. They would have as well if they still had one. Probably was them doing it. I agree it was not needed but maybe they wanted to avoid "Harry and Meghan ignored The Queen" silliness. They have been attacked for less.

All the social media accounts publicly posted a Happy Birthday message to her. They would have as well if they still had one. Probably was them doing it. I agree it was not needed but maybe they wanted to avoid "Harry and Meghan ignored The Queen" silliness. They have been attacked for less.

It is just sad. I am.just going to think of it that way. I missed opportunity for many things. No need to make that comment and no need at all to do many things.

To be fair, given that a lot of people are upset because they feel that Harry and Meghan have treated the Queen disrespectfully, they were probably trying to show that there's no ill-feeling. I'm not sure that they should have posted the message, when no-one else did, but it's not as if they've posted the video anywhere public.

It never would have occurred to me to think “wow, I’ll bet Harry didn’t contact his grandma”.....and I think that most reasonable people wouldn’t have thought it either had he and Meghan just left it alone.

It got them a positive article on the MailOnline-homepage on position 3. Well worth it then, no?

Well, all the royal accounts are offices accounts, and all posted the birthday wish in a most official way, to The Queen.
No doubt the family called her privetly to wish her happy birthday as merely their grandmother, mother m, so on.

That’s the difference.

If they felt the need to publicly wish her a happy birthday, though I ask why, as they are now private citizens..
they could have issued a more official, brief and professional sounding statement: “The duke and Duchess of Sussex would like to wish her majesty the queen a happy 94 birthday”
And maybe posted it via the offices royal family IG page.

No need to talk about PRIVATE! Video chats.

My cynical view: To remind everyone they remain the grandson and great-grandson of the monarch and thus Royalty

They are now living their new life purposefully because they *don't* want to be royals, so I doubt that's the case.

Day 1 - "we have a right to privacy and so are cutting off a number of mainstream media"
Day 2 - makes sure that the world know they made a private video message to the Queen on her birthday reinforcing their unique selling point - their link to HM by making something private public

This is why people don't really understand their actions, they say one thing and then do another.

Last edited:
Day 1 - "we have a right to privacy and so are cutting off a number of mainstream media"
Day 2 - makes sure that the world know they made a private video message to the Queen on her birthday reinforcing their unique selling point - their link to HM but making something private public

This is why people don't really understand their actions.

To me, one of the advantages of Harry’s change in status would be the fact that he can now just call his grandmother to wish her a happy birthday without the need to ensure the public has been kept in the loop via social media.

I’ve posted before about how I think there are many advantages to being the junior royal/non royal grandchildren of the monarch, in any royal family, not just the UK. People like the York princesses and Peter and Zara Phillips enjoy many of the same social privileges as William and Harry but are able to do so privately and without (much) scrutiny.

Harry’s situation is unique because he was expected to be a full time working royal. But he could become much more like his cousins fairly quickly if he stopped doing things like randomly announcing a birthday video call to his grandmother.

If he’s as traumatized as he claims by the media coverage of him and his family then a good first step is to make himself and his family less conspicuous. Step away from the social media. Make no comments to the press about your personal or working life. Ask your father to help find you a reasonably well paying job that’s less attention catching than globetrotting celebrity fundraiser. And then step back and enjoy the best of both worlds - mostly free of public attention and media coverage while remaining one of the best connected people in the world.

BP said last week that any calls from family for the Queen’s birthday would be kept private, so I do find it a bit odd that Meghan and Harry announced that they called her. Don't think it was at all necessary.

To me, one of the advantages of Harry’s change in status would be the fact that he can now just call his grandmother to wish her a happy birthday without the need to ensure the public has been kept in the loop via social media.

I’ve posted before about how I think there are many advantages to being the junior royal/non royal grandchildren of the monarch, in any royal family, not just the UK. People like the York princesses and Peter and Zara Phillips enjoy many of the same social privileges as William and Harry but are able to do so privately and without (much) scrutiny.

Harry’s situation is unique because he was expected to be a full time working royal. But he could become much more like his cousins fairly quickly if he stopped doing things like randomly announcing a birthday video call to his grandmother.

If he’s as traumatized as he claims by the media coverage of him and his family then a good first step is to make himself and his family less conspicuous. Step away from the social media. Make no comments to the press about your personal or working life. Ask your father to help find you a reasonably well paying job that’s less attention catching than globetrotting celebrity fundraiser. And then step back and enjoy the best of both worlds - mostly free of public attention and media coverage while remaining one of the best connected people in the world.

Great post but I seriously doubt that obscurity is what they actually want..

They have done nothing to prove that they want to get less attention. [...]

Their biggest failure is in not realizing that "all publicity is not good publicity" for the rarefied strata that they wish to occupy. As a C-list actress, all publicity was good publicity because it got Meghan noticed and acting roles but she is now A-list and the same publicity rules do not apply.

Their biggest failure is in not realizing that "all publicity is not good publicity" for the rarefied strata that they wish to occupy. As a C-list actress, all publicity was good publicity because it got Meghan noticed and acting roles but she is now A-list and the same publicity rules do not apply.

That last point is really good, I hadn't really thought about it that way, even if the paper loses there will be a win element.

A Telegraph editor apparently printed a letter asking to be put on the same list as the tabloids as he doesn't like his privileged position of being allowed to cover their activities while a pandemic is going on but rather would be on the 'zero engagement' list as well.

A Telegraph editor apparently printed a letter asking to be put on the same list as the tabloids as he doesn't like his privileged position of being allowed to cover their activities while a pandemic is going on but rather would be on the 'zero engagement' list as well.

Imagine if the UK press refused to cover any of their events etc. The charities depend on the publicity. Oh dear. Not good.

The charities still get publicity though. I mean certain sections of the press claimed they didn't care about them yesterday and they still on the front pages today. A lot of hot air.

[...]

I've never believed that saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity, now more than ever. At a time when the world is suffering, no one wants to hear H and M spouting platitudes in poorly-written statements, pretending they are standing up for the common man by getting all lathered up about the media.

Honestly, I think these two are tone deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom