General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never stated or implied that she was rich as Croesus but just basing residuals on her work with Suits isn't the only place she'd receive them from. She's been in and had the leading role in at least one movie that still plays from time to time on networks here (mostly the Hallmark channel). She also could have, at time time actively earning while acting, invested funds.

We really do not know at all what their financial status is and what they can afford or not afford. We'll probably never know and there's no obligation to tell us either. That's the major point of my arguments. ?

Hallmark actors don’t earn residuals, maybe a few who are considered big stars in the channel, like what’s her name that used to be on Full House, Meghan was essentially a nobody when she booked those roles. She made whatever salary she was paid and that’s it.

Perhaps she invested some of it, but if she did, well the market was going up she should have already ought to have had enough to buy a moderately sized house in LA. Unless she invested it foolishly and lost.

We can go round and round talking about how much they have but it does not matter. What matters is that Harry and Meghan do not believe that they have enough.

If they had enough to sustain themselves the announcement in January would have been worded a lot differently. There would not be any talk to financial independence, because they would already have been financially independent. They wanted the "half in/half out" because they wanted to enjoy the financial privileges of being senior Royals but pick and choose the kind of engagements they undertook.

S

Exactly. I dont think they have enough for the sort of lifestyle they want... it would be enough for most people.. but not for them. And they did IMO want the half and half situation because they would still have free security, etc (or thought that they would) and would have their status as HRH and Royal to bolster them in their money making.

Exactly. I dont think they have enough for the sort of lifestyle they want... it would be enough for most people.. but not for them. And they did IMO want the half and half situation because they would still have free security, etc (or thought that they would) and would have their status as HRH and Royal to bolster them in their money making.

I dunno I just see him as Alex Jennings in season 15 of The Crown being disparaging of Prince George when he is crowned because he wasn't invited and he refused to give him money.

And possibly John Spencer left H some money as well.

I really doubt that.
Wasn't one of the reasons the Spencer children resented Raine was because she had to sell off family heirlooms and artwork to maintain Althorp?

That doesn't sound like he had large amounts to spare.

I really doubt that.
Wasn't one of the reasons the Spencer children resented Raine was because she had to sell off family heirlooms and artwork to maintain Althorp?

It goes along the same lines as their supporters claiming the HMTQM ignored all of her other great-grandchildren and left countless millions to Harry to compensate for him not being the heir

None of us know how much the QM left her descendants, nor do we know how much the Queen will leave her grandchildren, or how much money Charles gives his sons to help maintain their lifestyles.

It is all speculation and increasingly this topic is both going round and round in circles here, and is being used to attack the Sussexes for all sorts of other issues and 'news', much of it made up by the tabloid press.

None of us know how much the QM left her descendants, nor do we know how much the Queen will leave her grandchildren, or how much money Charles gives his sons to help maintain their lifestyles.

It is all speculation and increasingly this topic is both going round and round in circles here, and is being used to attack the Sussexes for all sorts of other issues and 'news', much of it made up by the tabloid press.

We will know how much Charles gives Harry. As his accounts are published. The waters are always muddled a bit so we won't know how much exactly but we will be able to get the right idea.

I really doubt that.

They had money.. and even if they did not have enormous amounts to spare, the odds are that he left something to his grandson. He would probably leave a bit more to Harry than Will, because he is a younger son...

Last edited:
We will know how much Charles gives Harry. As his accounts are published. The waters are always muddled a bit so we won't know how much exactly but we will be able to get the right idea.

My understanding was that Charles gave about £5M to the 2 sons for living expenses so that would be roughly £2.5 M each per year. We don't know what the queen mother left him or what the queen may leave him but its not likely to supply him with the sort of income he needs/wants. We do have rough idea of what he has inherited.. an

Last edited:
I dunno I just see him as Alex Jennings in season 15 of The Crown being disparaging of Prince George when he is crowned because he wasn't invited and he refused to give him money.

I dont know anyting about the Crown but I think its unlikely that Harry woudl not be invited to a coronation.. unless he really really burnt bridges with his family. And George's coronation is a long way in the future...

My understanding was that Charles gave about £5M to the 2 sons for living expenses so that would be roughly £2.5 M each per year. We don't know what the queen mother left him or what the queen may leave him but its not likely to supply him with the sort of income he needs/wants. We do have rough idea of what he has inherited.. an

If you look at Charles' annual statements, you'll notice that the expenditures are split into two categories. "Work related" (for lack of a better term and "Personal". The monies that Charles uses to provide for his sons and their families that can be categorized as "work", I believe is tax deductible. Financing his family's working wardrobe, staff, expenditures all can be considered business expenses. On the personal side, the amount expended is listed but not itemized. This is the income Charles pays annual tax on. So, paying for Harry's office staff is "work" related. Buying Meghan a beautiful, new and sparkly bracelet as a gift wouldn't be. Same with Camilla's work expenses and what she privately spends money on or gifts Charles buys her.

To me it looks very much like filing income tax here in the US. Itemizing all legal "business' expenses and then basing the tax paid on "personal" expenditures. The 2 million paid out to Harry and William are documented as "work expenses". Whatever monies he gives them "just because" goes into the personal column and the amount isn't itemized. Any monies that Charles would now be assisting Harry and Meghan with could not be deducted in the work expense itemization any longer as they're not "working".

This is how I see it anyways. ?

If you look at Charles' annual statements, you'll notice that the expenditures are split into two categories. "Work related" (for lack of a better term and "Personal". The monies that Charles uses to provide for his sons and their families that can be categorized as "work", I believe is tax deductible. Financing his family's working wardrobe, staff, expenditures all can be considered business expenses. On the personal side, the amount expended is listed but not itemized. This is the income Charles pays annual tax on. So, paying for Harry's office staff is "work" related. Buying Meghan a beautiful, new and sparkly bracelet as a gift wouldn't be. Same with Camilla's work expenses and what she privately spends money on or gifts Charles buys her.

To me it looks very much like filing income tax here in the US. Itemizing all legal "business' expenses and then basing the tax paid on "personal" expenditures. The 2 million paid out to Harry and William are documented as "work expenses". Whatever monies he gives them "just because" goes into the personal column and the amount isn't itemized. Any monies that Charles would now be assisting Harry and Meghan with could not be deducted in the work expense itemization any longer as they're not "working".

This is how I see it anyways. ?
sorry but Im not sure what the point is. We know that he gives them a large sum..

They had money.. and even if they did not have enormous amounts to spare, the odds are that he left something to his grandson. He would probably leave a bit more to Harry than Will, because he is a younger son...

I think the bulk of his "fortune" went to his son who inherited the title and the estate as that is the English way (as opposed to the civil law tradition in continental Europe). After that, John would have to look after his other daughters too. Diana, having married into the Royal House, would be probably less of a priority in his will as her sons would probaly be covered for life. So I don't see them getting much from the Spencers other than the already considerable amount they inherited from Diana properly. Just my two cents.

sorry but Im not sure what the point is. We know that he gives them a large sum..

If you're referring to financing after March 31st, is there anywhere that its credibly stated that he's giving them large sums of money? My point was to illustrate that the monies he was funding Harry and William (and families) were perfectly legal and above board and expected of the Duke of Cornwall to do with his personal income from the duchy. After March 31st, whatever monies he's giving or not giving to H&M are his own personal expenditures and not made public. ?

I think the bulk of his "fortune" went to his son who inherited the title and the estate as that is the English way (as opposed to the civil law tradition in continental Europe). After that, John would have to look after his other daughters too. Diana, having married into the Royal House, would be probably less of a priority in his will as her sons would probaly be covered for life. So I don't see them getting much from the Spencers other than the already considerable amount they inherited from Diana properly. Just my two cents.

I seem to remember Johnny Spencer saying when Harry was a kid that he was putting aside money for Harry as he was a younger son. Obviously the estate and the bulk of fortune would have gone to Charles.. but the family are rich and Im sure all his grandchildren including W and Harry got legacies.

If you're referring to financing after March 31st, is there anywhere that its credibly stated that he's giving them large sums of money? My point was to illustrate that the monies he was funding Harry and William (and families) were perfectly legal and above board and expected of the Duke of Cornwall to do with his personal income from the duchy. After March 31st, whatever monies he's giving or not giving to H&M are his own personal expenditures and not made public. ?

If he was giving them £2M before the end of their wroking royal life, Im sure he is not giving them much less now. They have a lot of expenses, in their new life, including the fact that now theyll have to pay for security...

It goes along the same lines as their supporters claiming the HMTQM ignored all of her other great-grandchildren and left countless millions to Harry to compensate for him not being the heir

Also doubtful, imo.

Diana once said she and Charles worked very hard to see their sons were treated equally, but some members of the family insisted on treating William as special.

One of the chief offenders was said to be QM.

If he was giving them £2M before the end of their wroking royal life, Im sure he is not giving them much less now. They have a lot of expenses, in their new life, including the fact that now theyll have to pay for security...

We don't know. Whatever Charles does deem to spend on his youngest son now though moves to another "department" and along with giving them the money, Charles would also pay income tax on that amount. :D

I have no reason to believe that the income from the Duchy cannot be used to finance Harry's lifestyle, if that is how the Prince of Wales so chooses to dispose off it. The Duchy provides the PoW with a private income, and as I understand it, it does not place any restrictions on the use of the funds.

I have no reason to believe that the income from the Duchy cannot be used to finance Harry's lifestyle, if that is how the Prince of Wales so chooses to dispose off it. The Duchy provides the PoW with a private income, and as I understand it, it does not place any restrictions on the use of the funds.

Exactly. This is the precise reason the Duchy of Cornwall was established in the first place and has remained so ever since. There are no set rules of how the Duke of Cornwall uses his personal income. With Charles, he's voluntarily has agreed to pay income tax. Along with funding Harry however he sees fit, he could also invest heavily in establishing a colony on Mars if he chose to. :D

"The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide an income for the heir to the throne."

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/features/duchy-cornwall

Also doubtful, imo.

Diana once said she and Charles worked very hard to see their sons were treated equally, but some members of the family insisted on treating William as special.

One of the chief offenders was said to be QM.

All European royal families and, indeed, also families of peers or equivalent titled noblemen in the continent have to deal with this issue as it is inherently associated with the rule of succession by primogeniture. My personal impression, having seen how different RFs have handled it over the years, is that they try as much as possible to make no differentiation between the children in their private family life, especially when they are young and out of public life so to speak. As they grow up and start to be involved in official engagements and other public events, then it is inevitable that the heir will be treated differently and have a different status.

In some monarchies, that process starts quite early (think for example of Felipe when he was a teen and now his daughter Leonor). In the UK, and in the case of Diana's children in particular, it actually took too long to start as William didn't really get a special public status until he was in his 30s really (at least in my opinion). That may have caused Harry to have wrong expectations about his future role, which was in fact counterproductive. What do you think ?

All European royal families and, indeed, also families of peers or equivalent titled noblemen in the continent have to deal with this issue as it is inherently associated with the rule of succession by primogeniture. My personal impression, having seen how different RFs have handled it over the years, is that they try as much as possible to make no differentiation between the children in their private family life, especially when they are young and out of public life so to speak. As they grow up and start to be involved in official engagements and other public events, then it is inevitable that the heir will be treated differently and have a different status.

In some monarchies, that process starts quite early (think for example of Felipe when he was a teen and now his daughter Leonor). In the UK, and in the case of Diana's children in particular, it actually took too long to start as William didn't really get a special public status until he was in his 30s really (at least in my opinion). That may have caused Harry to have wrong expectations about his future role, which was in fact counterproductive. What do you think ?

I think that you’re spot-on about public status. William and Harry both didn’t start their full-time role as working royals until they were in their 30s. When they were younger and they had their army careers, I feel like their public Royal roles were on a very similar standing, and many things that they worked on were joint projects. I think things began to change when William and Kate got married, but since they were both in the military full time it wasn’t quite as stark, and they still had plenty of joint projects (Heads Together comes to mind). Harry happened to get married right at the time when both of them had transitioned out of the military and were coming into full-time working royal status, and I think that’s when it became apparent about the different ways the brothers were going to be treated in terms of public life and in the life of the royal family (I’m meaning “royal family” in the public, traditional sense of the family and not their private life and relationships). It’s very hierarchical and William and his wife were always going to be higher in the hierarchy than Harry and his.

Exactly. This is the precise reason the Duchy of Cornwall was established in the first place and has remained so ever since. There are no set rules of how the Duke of Cornwall uses his personal income. With Charles, he's voluntarily has agreed to pay income tax. Along with funding Harry however he sees fit, he could also invest heavily in establishing a colony on Mars if he chose to. :D

"The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide an income for the heir to the throne."

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/features/duchy-cornwall

However the point is, that Harry has been getting money from Charles, so his income is clearly not equal to the demands of his lifestyle. He has I am sure been continuing to get money from his father, whether frorm his personal funds or from the Duchy, and this is because again, in his new life, his income though pretty generous by any standards, is not enough to pay for the sort of lifestyle he is living... and he is not making any money himself. People frequently say that Harry has enough to live on etc. but he clearly does not. Otherwise he and Meg would hardly have made such a point of trying to make a professional income.

However the point is, that Harry has been getting money from Charles, so his income is clearly not equal to the demands of his lifestyle. He has I am sure been continuing to get money from his father, whether frorm his personal funds or from the Duchy, and this is because again, in his new life, his income though pretty generous by any standards, is not enough to pay for the sort of lifestyle he is living... and he is not making any money himself. People frequently say that Harry has enough to live on etc. but he clearly does not. Otherwise he and Meg would hardly have made such a point of trying to make a professional income.

When was it confirmed that Harry was getting his personal living expenses money from Charles? Yes Charles funded their working Royal life ...but if it has ever been confirmed Charles was or is funding either son's personal life I don't recall seeing it.

LaRae

When was it confirmed that Harry was getting his personal living expenses money from Charles? Yes Charles funded their working Royal life ...but if it has ever been confirmed Charles was or is funding either son's personal life I don't recall seeing it.

LaRae

I've never seen anything of the sort either. People are just *assuming* that Charles is still floating their boat. :D

I've never seen anything of the sort either. People are just *assuming* that Charles is still floating their boat. :D

You are correct with that Osipi, we are assuming, I just made a comment on another thread re not biting the hand that feeds you, when M & H put out the statement/ website in January they only spoke about dropping the Sovereign grant.

A lot of us then assumed they were still taking the money from Charles.

Who knows... not us

You are correct with that Osipi, we are assuming, I just made a comment on another thread re not biting the hand that feeds you, when M & H put out the statement/ website in January they only spoke about dropping the Sovereign grant.

A lot of us then assumed they were still taking the money from Charles.

Who knows... not us

We dont know for certain but now, in LA they are going ot have to pay for things that they didn't have to pay for, when they were in the UK.... So it is reasonable to assume that Charles is continuing to help them.

We dont know for certain but now, in LA they are going ot have to pay for things that they didn't have to pay for, when they were in the UK.... So it is reasonable to assume that Charles is continuing to help them.

Its also possible that without Charles' knowledge, one of the Jack Russells that Camilla has did a covert sneak job into the Charles' office and being very intelligent dogs, were able to direct funds from Charles' personal accounts to Harry and Meghan overseas. :D

We don't know what they have to pay for and the amount required to do so at this time. For all we know, the security forces they now have is provided from Universal Studios as training to be 'big burly rough guys" in future movies.

We can assume whatever we like and anything we can invent can be possible but it doesn't make it so. Its called speculation and not fact.

Its also possible that without Charles' knowledge, one of the Jack Russells that Camilla has did a covert sneak job into the Charles' office and being very intelligent dogs, were able to direct funds from Charles' personal accounts to Harry and Meghan overseas. :D

We don't know what they have to pay for and the amount required to do so at this time. For all we know, the security forces they now have is provided from Universal Studios as training to be 'big burly rough guys" in future movies.

We can assume whatever we like and anything we can invent can be possible but it doesn't make it so. Its called speculation and not fact.

It is speculation based on the facts that we know... Ie that Harry has a certain amount of money but that he was getting more from his father, and that he and Meg dont believe they have enough money.. or they wouldn't have been talking about making more. And they have security. Those people have to be paid...

It is speculation based on the facts that we know... Ie that Harry has a certain amount of money but that he was getting more from his father, and that he and Meg dont believe they have enough money.. or they wouldn't have been talking about making more. And they have security. Those people have to be paid...

Harry *was* getting money from his father as it was expected as full time working royals and that lasted until the March 31st cut off date or line in the sand if you prefer. After March 31st, we have absolutely no clue about finances, cost of security, handouts from Papa or how much money Harry and Megan believe is enough or not enough.

Remember too that any of this speculation of their lifestyles, their financial situation and even what they had for dinner last night does *not* directly come from them. These speculations are based on what "seems to be" as speculated on by less than credible sources that abound everywhere. The statements made about "financial independence" and making a "professional income" actually, when you really think about it, pertains to the MO of how they wish to proceed with any work they're going to do and at the time, actually related to their Sussex Royal they were working on. Nowhere is it stated that they want lotsa, lotsa green dollars for their own pocket. ;)

I call it as I see it. We all see things differently though and that is what makes for good, intelligent conversations and debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom