The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Probability is what conjecture is based on.
Iím pretty sure this was discussed multiple times in the past, and basic logical reasons into why Meghan can not be as rich as her fans claim her to be has been talked about.

Allow me to repeat:
Suits was aired on a barely known (even in the US) cable network.
It had at most 3 million viewers (well actually I think it reached much lower than this mid way through its airing), and it wasnít on the quality level of the likes of Mad Men or Games of Thrones (I recommend you check how much John Hamm made per episode for Mad Men first 4 seasons- as the lead! And that show was a major critics, people and rating success!)

It shot in Canada to save production money, that includes actors salary.

And most important: Meghan was a no name, 6th on the call list.
She likely made Union money or a bit higher. I would be surprised if she made more than 15k an episode. Maybe managed to negotiate a bit more when her relationship with Harry became known and she could use that publicity for leverage.
Take off management and PR (SS one of the most expensive!) fees and taxes sheíd be left with half of that
She was rarely seen with truly expensive clothes or even a car.

Another point: She never owned any property.
LA is expensive, but you can still buy a nice little house for 2mil (maybe a bit less a few years ago). She never did.
One of the thing (maybe THE thing) that actors who made it love to mention is how this show/movie made it possible for them to buy a house. Because it means stability.
Meghan never did. Which is the most clear indication she either never earned enough to buy one, spend it, or was aiming for something way above her finances ability.

As for residual, Suits is now on syndication, I believe all main cast members get something, a preferred rage of their salary or a fixed rate, once a show goes into syndication and is aired. And it is on Netflix too.
So she probably gets something, but I would highly doubt it is more than peanuts money compared to what Harry probably gets from his trust fund, or the amounts Charles gives them.

So no, I donít think they can afford the jet set expensive life, which imo, Meghan has proven to want.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I never stated or implied that she was rich as Croesus but just basing residuals on her work with Suits isn't the only place she'd receive them from. She's been in and had the leading role in at least one movie that still plays from time to time on networks here (mostly the Hallmark channel). She also could have, at time time actively earning while acting, invested funds.

We really do not know at all what their financial status is and what they can afford or not afford. We'll probably never know and there's no obligation to tell us either. That's the major point of my arguments.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Majesty

Do you really think that an actress who's been i a few hallmark movies and was soemthing like ONE of the actresses in one long running show that wasn't all THAT popular, is going to be making big money or masses of residual fees?
I'm told that she had some kind of line of clothing she was promoting.. but I would imagined that she had to sell that or step out from it, when she married Harry.
Its a good point about her never buying a house as that tends to be the first thing that someone who is "working their way up in the world" tends to buy, as its a roof and security...
if the 2 of them had such a handsome fortune between them why were they talking about making a professional income?? Why did the queen insist that they could not use their HRH's in a commercial setting if it wasn't likely that they would have to earn money in order to go on living and being solvent?? Esp when Living somewhere like a big house in LA?
If they had a large fortune between them, as people assert, and had said they didn't want to continue as royals but wanted to live a more private life and to choose what charities they worked with etc, then surely they would have enough money between them to buy a house, settle down in Canada or USA and go on with their new lives? There woudl have been no need for negotiations about their status and their HRH...
WE don't know exactly what money they have but we have a fair idea of Harry's fortune and overall, it is clear that it is not enough for them. They had a lot of things that they got free or low cost when they were royals. Now they'll have to pay for them.. and they don't have enough money, or they would not talk about earning a professional income.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
if the 2 of them had such a handsome fortune between them why were they talking about making a professional income?? Why did the queen insist that they could not use their HRH's in a commercial setting if it wasn't likely that they would have to earn money in order to go on living and being solvent?? Esp when Living somewhere like a big house in LA?
If they had a large fortune between them, as people assert, and had said they didn't want to continue as royals but wanted to live a more private life and to choose what charities they worked with etc, then surely they would have enough money between them to buy a house, settle down in Canada or USA and go on with their new lives? There woudl have been no need for negotiations about their status and their HRH...
WE don't know exactly what money they have but we have a fair idea of Harry's fortune and overall, it is clear that it is not enough for them. They had a lot of things that they got free or low cost when they were royals. Now they'll have to pay for them.. and they don't have enough money, or they would not talk about earning a professional income.
I have no idea about Meghan's net worth, however I think Harry could have around £15m. This is slightly lower than the number I had previously estimated.

This is based on the assumption that he got c£10m from Diana's estate, and he paid around 40% inheritance tax on it, leaving him with around£6m. In the time since, it would doubled to around £12m, assuming he did not touch the money, and his lifestyle since had been funded by Charles. Further, he would have had some inheritances from the Queen Mother and from Diana's father, Johnnie Spencer, and allowing for a financial return on those, I estimate the c£15m net worth.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I have no idea about Meghan's net worth, however I think Harry could have around £15m. This is slightly lower than the number I had previously estimated.

This is based on the assumption that he got c£10m from Diana's estate, and he paid around 40% inheritance tax on it, leaving him with around£6m. In the time since, it would doubled to around £12m, assuming he did not touch the money, and his lifestyle since had been funded by Charles. Further, he would have had some inheritances from the Queen Mother and from Diana's father, Johnnie Spencer, and allowing for a financial return on those, I estimate the c£15m net worth.
I dont know if there is public information about the QM's will and what she left to Harry but she wasn't massively rich.. really was she as she was such a big spender.
Still she probably had some capital put aside for her grandchildren and Harry got some of it. And possibly John Spencer left H some money as well. But I agree that H's private fortune is probably not more than about £15M to maybe £20M. he did have death duties to pay, and then the money was tied up for him and Will as they were only kids and that would have given time for the fortune to increase. But Charles let him have £2M a year for his work and living expenses.. He also had free security and low rent accommodation.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I dont know if there is public information about the QM's will and what she left to Harry but she wasn't massively rich.. really was she as she was such a big spender.
Still she probably had some capital put aside for her grandchildren and Harry got some of it. And possibly John Spencer left H some money as well. But I agree that H's private fortune is probably not more than about £15M to maybe £20M. he did have death duties to pay, and then the money was tied up for him and Will as they were only kids and that would have given time for the fortune to increase. But Charles let him have £2M a year for his work and living expenses.. He also had free security and low rent accommodation.
No rent accommodation. He didn't pay any rent until now. Eugenie does but I am sure it is a small amount or paid for her.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
No rent accommodation. He didn't pay any rent until now. Eugenie does but I am sure it is a small amount or paid for her.
Im sure they paid some kind of token rent for Frogmore.. and now they have to pay back the money spent on refurbishing it...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Its my understanding that all wills of the BRF are permanently sealed. Saw this recently in a documentary about Princess Margaret and the claim of this guy that believes he's Margaret's "love child".

We can go around and around about Harry's finances till the cows come home (maybe they went to the beach to cool off?) but arguing and speculating about any of their financial situations is getting us nowhere. I'm refraining from any further comment on the subject.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Im sure they paid some kind of token rent for Frogmore.. and now they have to pay back the money spent on refurbishing it...
It is my understanding it was given to them. Like the Cambridges homes as part of their working lives.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Nobility

We can go round and round talking about how much they have but it does not matter. What matters is that Harry and Meghan do not believe that they have enough.

If they had enough to sustain themselves the announcement in January would have been worded a lot differently. There would not be any talk to financial independence, because they would already have been financially independent. They wanted the "half in/half out" because they wanted to enjoy the financial privileges of being senior Royals but pick and choose the kind of engagements they undertook.

So it seems that they need to do something to make a lot of money. On a certain extremely pro-Meghan board, it is being said that they are asking for $1 million each per speech that they deliver. If true, this is more money per speech than the Clinton's and Obama's ask for. They obviously feel that they need this kind of money-otherwise they would not be asking for it.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
We can go round and round talking about how much they have but it does not matter. What matters is that Harry and Meghan do not believe that they have enough.

If they had enough to sustain themselves the announcement in January would have been worded a lot differently. There would not be any talk to financial independence, because they would already have been financially independent. They wanted the "half in/half out" because they wanted to enjoy the financial privileges of being senior Royals but pick and choose the kind of engagements they undertook.

So it seems that they need to do something to make a lot of money. On a certain extremely pro-Meghan board, it is being said that they are asking for $1 million each per speech that they deliver. If true, this is more money per speech than the Clinton's and Obama's ask for. They obviously feel that they need this kind of money-otherwise they would not be asking for it.
No one would get that. Who on earth. In fairness it may all be redundant anyway. You can't get people into a room to listen to the speeches.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I never stated or implied that she was rich as Croesus but just basing residuals on her work with Suits isn't the only place she'd receive them from. She's been in and had the leading role in at least one movie that still plays from time to time on networks here (mostly the Hallmark channel). She also could have, at time time actively earning while acting, invested funds.

We really do not know at all what their financial status is and what they can afford or not afford. We'll probably never know and there's no obligation to tell us either. That's the major point of my arguments.
Hallmark actors donít earn residuals, maybe a few who are considered big stars in the channel, like whatís her name that used to be on Full House, Meghan was essentially a nobody when she booked those roles. She made whatever salary she was paid and thatís it.

Perhaps she invested some of it, but if she did, well the market was going up she should have already ought to have had enough to buy a moderately sized house in LA. Unless she invested it foolishly and lost.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

S
Exactly. I dont think they have enough for the sort of lifestyle they want... it would be enough for most people.. but not for them. And they did IMO want the half and half situation because they would still have free security, etc (or thought that they would) and would have their status as HRH and Royal to bolster them in their money making.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Exactly. I dont think they have enough for the sort of lifestyle they want... it would be enough for most people.. but not for them. And they did IMO want the half and half situation because they would still have free security, etc (or thought that they would) and would have their status as HRH and Royal to bolster them in their money making.
I dunno I just see him as Alex Jennings in season 15 of The Crown being disparaging of Prince George when he is crowned because he wasn't invited and he refused to give him money.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And possibly John Spencer left H some money as well.
I really doubt that.
Wasn't one of the reasons the Spencer children resented Raine was because she had to sell off family heirlooms and artwork to maintain Althorp?

That doesn't sound like he had large amounts to spare.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I really doubt that.
Wasn't one of the reasons the Spencer children resented Raine was because she had to sell off family heirlooms and artwork to maintain Althorp?

It goes along the same lines as their supporters claiming the HMTQM ignored all of her other great-grandchildren and left countless millions to Harry to compensate for him not being the heir
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 PM
Majesty

None of us know how much the QM left her descendants, nor do we know how much the Queen will leave her grandchildren, or how much money Charles gives his sons to help maintain their lifestyles.

It is all speculation and increasingly this topic is both going round and round in circles here, and is being used to attack the Sussexes for all sorts of other issues and 'news', much of it made up by the tabloid press.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
None of us know how much the QM left her descendants, nor do we know how much the Queen will leave her grandchildren, or how much money Charles gives his sons to help maintain their lifestyles.

It is all speculation and increasingly this topic is both going round and round in circles here, and is being used to attack the Sussexes for all sorts of other issues and 'news', much of it made up by the tabloid press.
We will know how much Charles gives Harry. As his accounts are published. The waters are always muddled a bit so we won't know how much exactly but we will be able to get the right idea.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I really doubt that.

They had money.. and even if they did not have enormous amounts to spare, the odds are that he left something to his grandson. He would probably leave a bit more to Harry than Will, because he is a younger son...
Old 07-02-2020, 05:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
We will know how much Charles gives Harry. As his accounts are published. The waters are always muddled a bit so we won't know how much exactly but we will be able to get the right idea.
My understanding was that Charles gave about £5M to the 2 sons for living expenses so that would be roughly £2.5 M each per year. We don't know what the queen mother left him or what the queen may leave him but its not likely to supply him with the sort of income he needs/wants. We do have rough idea of what he has inherited.. an