The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I think he was generous enough and the Duke had a glorious house in Paris and had white the social circle. Always hanging out with the Moseley's.
Wasn't that house in Paris gifted to them by the French government?
In fact, I read an account where the Duke actually would have preferred a country estate but rather than purchase one, he couldn't resist the freebie.

I'm not certain this is correct, but it is what I've always thought.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well quite what does that say?

I didn't say he was viewed as a commodity. I said nothing is for free and he had to keep up his part of the bargain while a working royal.

This is not unconditional love. It is a two way business relationship. I think most people have dismissed the situation as sad now though. Oh it's just sad. Not much conversation about it anymore.
Queen Mary was quoted as saying that service is the price for privilege.

You are correct it is a 2 way streak.

Yes they live in castles etc, have jewels and all that goes with it, in return they serve the country.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Wasn't that house in Paris gifted to them by the French government?
In fact, I read an account where the Duke actually would have preferred a country estate but rather than purchase one, he couldn't resist the freebie.

I'm not certain this is correct, but it is what I've always thought.
Why would the French give it to them? They bought it in early 50s I think. David wanted everything. To be free. To have a home in England. To not be part of the firm. To have a job from them. To not have a job unless it was a great one. He too was very similar to Harry. He wanted it all his way without knowing anything about the world.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Why would the French give it to them? They bought it in early 50s I think. David wanted everything. To be free. To have a home in England. To not be part of the firm. To have a job from them. To not have a job unless it was a great one. He too was very similar to Harry. He wanted it all his way without knowing anything about the world.
They did have a deal with teh French govt that they didn't pay taxes...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They did have a deal with teh French govt that they didn't pay taxes...
Well I suppose being asked to pay tax would have been too much of contemplate. And in fairness the monarch didn't pay tax till after the Windsor fire. The rest to may have I don't know. To be honest it was a bit rich. Other ancient families were crippled by death duties post WWII. And many lost their estates to the national trust...don't get me wrong the NT is brilliant. The ones the survived had to turn into a business. So they had it more than cushy.

It always struck me didn't give them a home in the UK but I think their was a bit of give them an inch and they will take the lot.

Harry and Meghan have that. And private funding. Of course they haven't been super generous either but air think they have been kind and more than fair.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM
Majesty

In the biography of King Edward by Philip Ziegler it states that in 1953 the City of Paris offered a mansion in central Paris to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor at a reasonable but not nominal rent. It was on a twenty five year lease (which obviously was later extended.) A large mansion it stood on two acres of grounds. The couple were pleased with it as they had been looking for two years and already had a country property in France.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Harry had a career in the army for ten years, which paid him a salary. David never had a paying job in the sense that most people know it.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry had a career in the army for ten years, which paid him a salary. David never had a paying job in the sense that most people know it.
Harry wouldn't have taken that salary.,like William it went to charity but actually I do not think either brother was paid for their service. It was just when William went private and worked for the air ambulance. The work was given to charity.

David was in the navy and signed up in 1914. He was eager to serve but of course that wasn't allowed but he certainly went to the front. Most men in the Royal family are in the services. Harry isn't unique by any imagination.

He was also the representative in the Bahamas or something. A job to get them out of the way. But a job.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
In the biography of King Edward by Philip Ziegler it states that in 1953 the City of Paris offered a mansion in central Paris to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor at a reasonable but not nominal rent. It was on a twenty five year lease (which obviously was later extended.) A large mansion it stood on two acres of grounds. The couple were pleased with it as they had been looking for two years and already had a country property in France.
I didn't know they had any place in central Paris. I only knew about the house outside it. That is typical arrangements from homes in the capital. Most have long rents.

Edit: the two seem to be conflated in my mind. I knew about the Al Fayed think with the house. I thought they were all one.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Harry wouldn't have taken that salary.,like William it went to charity but actually I do not think either brother was paid for their service. It was just when William went private and worked for the air ambulance. The work was given to charity.

David was in the navy and signed up in 1914. He was eager to serve but of course that wasn't allowed but he certainly went to the front. Most men in the Royal family are in the services. Harry isn't unique by any imagination.

He was also the representative in the Bahamas or something. A job to get them out of the way. But a job.
Actually I think that Harry did take his pension from his service. If we look back a couple of decades, it was Charles' pension from the Navy that he used to start up the Prince's Trust. William's donating of his paycheck to charity was from being employed in the private sector with EAAA. William probably also gets a pension from his time in the armed services too. But here again, its not made public if they do or they don't. All I'm going by is their father's example of what he did with his Navy pension.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well I suppose being asked to pay tax would have been too much of contemplate. And in fairness the monarch didn't pay tax till after the Windsor fire. The rest to may have I don't know. To be honest it was a bit rich. Other ancient families were crippled by death duties post WWII. And many lost their estates to the national trust...don't get me wrong the NT is brilliant. The ones the survived had to turn into a business. So they had it more than cushy.

It always struck me didn't give them a home in the UK but I think their was a bit of give them an inch and they will take the lot.

Harry and Meghan have that. And private funding. Of course they haven't been super generous either but air think they have been kind and more than fair.
Since David was not the King of France, I dont see why the French govt DID give them a no tax deal...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually I think that Harry did take his pension from his service. If we look back a couple of decades, it was Charles' pension from the Navy that he used to start up the Prince's Trust. William's donating of his paycheck to charity was from being employed in the private sector with EAAA. William probably also gets a pension from his time in the armed services too. But here again, its not made public if they do or they don't. All I'm going by is their father's example of what he did with his Navy pension.
1O years won't be a big pension. And you would get very little for it. I sent quite know how any of that would work to be fair. To get a pension without a paycheck. But I am sure they did have a paycheck that was reabsorbed perhaps. Complex.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
1O years won't be a big pension. And you would get very little for it. I sent quite know how any of that would work to be fair. To get a pension without a paycheck. But I am sure they did have a paycheck that was reabsorbed perhaps. Complex.
They probably donated thier pay to service charities...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Since David was not the King of France, I dont see why the French govt DID give them a no tax deal...
Neither do I. Especially given their objections to Monaco and their high tax and belief in the welfare state. To have a royal and to to annoy the British perhaps. Odd one.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They probably donated thier pay to service charities...
I should hope so.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Majesty

I have several biographies on Harry and in none is it stated that he gave his salary of about 45 thousand pounds a year to charity, though he almost certainly gave some of his annual income privately to charities like Sentebale. He was also seen using a discount benefit card issued to members of the armed forces for use in certain British shops and restaurants during his army years. So I certainly believe that Harry knows the value of money, in spite of what tabloids like the DM would have readers believe.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Regarding the Windsors IIRC they had a place in Paris because when Diana was there with Dodi something was said about his family having bought the Windsor's home there.

Re: Harry's salary, at the time seems like I heard it talked about that he donated his salary to charity, similar to what William did. Not sure they would even take a pension ..not sure either of them were in long enough to get one. Not sure what the requirements are in the British Military. The U.S. is typically 20 years for active duty.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I have several biographies on Harry and in none is it stated that he gave his salary of about 45 thousand pounds a year to charity, though he almost certainly gave some of his annual income privately to charities like Sentebale. He was also seen using a discount benefit card issued to members of the armed forces for use in certain British shops and restaurants during his army years. So I certainly believe that Harry knows the value of money, in spite of what tabloids like the DM would have readers believe.
He did not take a salary for his job. He just wouldn't be able too. Whose going to turn down a discount card though. Quids in. Funnily enough it was never mentioned though. Williams air ambulance salary was publically known. But nothing was ever said about their military service. They wouldn't have been paid though or it was reabsorbed or they donated it straight.

Who says he doesn't know the value of money? That he he doesn't know how much things cost or howhow to budget or have to think before you buy something I do think
Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Regarding the Windsors IIRC they had a place in Paris because when Diana was there with Dodi something was said about his family having bought the Windsor's home there.

Re: Harry's salary, at the time seems like I heard it talked about that he donated his salary to charity, similar to what William did. Not sure they would even take a pension ..not sure either of them were in long enough to get one. Not sure what the requirements are in the British Military. The U.S. is typically 20 years for active duty.

LaRae
That is right. But Dodi's family rented it. I think it may have been sold recent,years by the government.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Majesty

The mansion in central Paris was where the Duchess of Windsor spent her last years as a frail old lady with dementia. She remained there till her death. It was off the Bois de Bologne.