The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Why on earth did we need to know about Harry sending a message to the charity. Just stop putting yourself in the media.
It doesn't seem likely. They seem to still see themselves as royals but this time formally only representing themselves I guess (although still in line to the British throne in Harry's case) instead of the British Head of state and Head of the Commonwealth.

They really put themselves in an impossible position. They still want to be treated as royals giving 'support' to causes they care about but are -somewhat- on their own while they will need to stay away from controversy as that might negatively impact the British royal family.

I guess it is a complicated journey if they thought that they could do all of this and still remain active members of the royal family but had to choose... It looks like they figured that they could still set up their own unofficial court (which seems to be what they wanted previously within the firm while also 'earning professional income') even though or especially now they are no longer part of the firm.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Because this is a thread for general news about the Sussexes, not a thread for constant criticism about them or speculation about their future sources of income. This was a news item about Harry supporting the fight against HIV and AIDS, something which he has done for years, and which I posted for those interested and still supportive of Harry.
... I think you misunderstood the post to which you're responding. She wasn't asking why you posted the news item here.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
... I think you misunderstood the post to which you're responding. She wasn't asking why you posted the news item here.
Thank you. Yes. I wasn't asking that.

Harry is his mother's son and has her talent for many things.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It doesn't seem likely. They seem to still see themselves as royals but this time formally only representing themselves I guess (although still in line to the British throne in Harry's case) instead of the British Head of state and Head of the Commonwealth.

They really put themselves in an impossible position. They still want to be treated as royals giving 'support' to causes they care about but are -somewhat- on their own while they will need to stay away from controversy as that might negatively impact the British royal family.

I guess it is a complicated journey if they thought that they could do all of this and still remain active members of the royal family but had to choose... It looks like they figured that they could still set up their own unofficial court (which seems to be what they wanted previously within the firm while also 'earning professional income') even though or especially now they are no longer part of the firm.
They thought many things. A lot pretty embarrassing.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The Independent report on this is here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9590041.html

I think in a time of upheaval it's even more important that members of the royal family remain above the fray so to speak.
If they keep this up, they’ll be Mr. and Mrs. XYZ before long
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 AM
Nobility

Thanks, Curryong. It’s good to see Harry continuing his good works during the pandemic.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The main caveat in all of this, is that Harry and Archie are still relatively high up in the line of succession, so need to take that into account even though they decided to no longer 'work' for the royal family.
H&M have chosen to go down a certain path, with the line of succession to the throne not a major factor as they see it. In their judgement, that is the right path for them. IMO, either he does not understand the ramifications of some of his actions, or does not care.

Either way, the path that he is going down, a different path to his brother, as he set out in the Africa documentary with Tom Bradby last year, will take him further away from the responsibilities and restrictions that life in the BRF bring. Good luck to them!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Please be reminded that this thread relates primarily to General News for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Accordingly - as with all other General News threads - small items of news that do not fall into the Current Events category such as charitable support are welcome to be discussed.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am sure a life changing decision, like the decision to step down, would have been taken after careful consideration of all the facts. I have no doubt H&M would have fully considered things like their income, likely expenditure, their titles, security, charitable patronages and military associations before making their decision.
Imnot sure they did, as I recall, it was said that they didn't really consider the finances all that well, when saying that they wanted to leave and could do wihtout the Sovereign Grant as that was only a small part of the money they got.. They got much more from the Duchy of Cornwall.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Post deleted, duplicated by mistake
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Imnot sure they did, as I recall, it was said that they didn't really consider the finances all that well, when saying that they wanted to leave and could do wihtout the Sovereign Grant as that was only a small part of the money they got.. They got much more from the Duchy of Cornwall.
I said that somewhat tongue in cheek.

It was clear, to me, from the pronouncements on the Sussexroyal website, that whilst the move had clearly been contemplated for a while (as evienced by the registering of the website months beforehand), none of the detail had been considered, let alone agreed with The Firm. So to that extent, it was truely shocking.

Anyways, I do not want to revisit some of those events, they are off-topic here, and the appropriate threads have since been shut down.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The money would be looked after by his trustees and advisors... but its not going to pay for a house like the one he's living in, or security, or life in LA. I dont know what money Meghan made from her work, but again its unlikely to be enough to fund their lifestyle.
She still makes money from her work (and she's done bits and pieces of things besides the TV show). Royalties from other things plus Suits give her income along with whatever else she made previously.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She still makes money from her work (and she's done bits and pieces of things besides the TV show). Royalties from other things plus Suits give her income along with whatever else she made previously.

LaRae
Might it be enough to fund the lifestyle she probably wants after being married to a Prince for 18 months?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Might it be enough to fund the lifestyle she probably wants after being married to a Prince for 18 months?

There's no evidence that she/he want any sort of 'lifestyle' they had while married. They hardly were high fliers while still working full time.

They haven't even bought a house yet. We don't know anything about the financial agreement for the 'rental' they are staying in.

So to state these things as fact when it's all based on opinion and gossip is IMO, wrong. Most of the stories are tabloid based to begin with.

As far as her royalties go that would be dependent on the contract she has with the projects she was involved in. There's no way to really know how much she's still pulling in.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
So to state these things as fact when it's all based on opinion and gossip is IMO, wrong. Most of the stories are tabloid based to begin with.
I do not believe I have stated anything as fact in the post of mine you refer to.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I do not believe I have stated anything as fact in the post of mine you refer to.
We will have to disagree on that.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
That is highly unlikely.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:

LaRae
We do not know the co tract arrangements. Sometimes people do not get royalties. I think this is particularly the case with actors as. They get their salary instead which can be astronomical for series that are continuously replayed.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
There's no evidence that she/he want any sort of 'lifestyle' they had while married. They hardly were high fliers while still working full time.

They haven't even bought a house yet. We don't know anything about the financial agreement for the 'rental' they are staying in.

As far as her royalties go that would be dependent on the contract she has with the projects she was involved in. There's no way to really know how much she's still pulling in.

LaRae
Their actions would say different. Huge homes they are currently living in. Private planes. An extensive designer wardrobe although the other female of the family frequently appear in high street (albeit expensive).

They were high fliers they had a lot of money and lived an exceedingly comfortable life.

The question is not a .oral judgement on what they want but on how they can afford it.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Their actions would say different. Huge homes they are currently living in. Private planes. An extensive designer wardrobe although the other female of the family frequently appear in high street (albeit expensive).

They were high fliers they had a lot of money and lived an exceedingly comfortable life.

The question is not a .oral judgement on what they want but on how they can afford it.
The way I see it, the huge homes before and after March 31st, have been provided to them from someone other than their bank account. As far as where they stay, I'm reminded of the romantic getaway they went on (on their own dime) and where did they stay? A remote cabin in Norway. The first time their romance started to blossom, they were camping in Africa. Now, take a look at the cabin and tell me if its a 5 star hotel to you.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/255496...rthern-lights/

We never really heard in all the times after they were married that they were spotted at expensive places for a night out. Heck, they even got engaged at home by the oven making roast chicken. We did see them walking on the street and Harry going to the local grocers. To be honest, I didn't see much of any kind of extravagance above and beyond what two people that were comfortably off would do. But that's just me.

Private planes? Someone gave them rides. Cost to them? $0. They most likely paid themselves for transatlantic flights though before Meghan moved to the UK. The baby shower that everyone was up in arms about was financed by friends of Meghan. Its occurred to me too that the "babymoon" taken when it was would have seemed to be more extravagant to me if I didn't know that this couple's honeymoon is still up for speculation. Some say it was in Canada and some say it was in Africa. There are no reports anywhere of the cost of a honeymoon. They managed to slip away privately.

Ever notice that when Harry and Meghan are pictured now, they're either a) going about doing something in the lines of charity work or b) they're been pictured outside the house in the yard. Of course the pandemic curtailed a lot of going out but thinking on that, did we really see them out and about enjoying themselves at expensive places when they lived for six months in Canada?

If they buy a home, it will be an investment as well as being somewhere secure for the family. Not all Los Angeles is swimming pools, movie stars and Rodeo Drive. They're based in LA right now which, if they wish to settle in California, they can find the right place for them.

They will eventually settle into a life they can afford and a life that works for them. Will family vacations be taking Archie camping? I think so. I also think there's too much gossip and focus and speculation on the finances of this family as if it really matters how much they have and how much they spend and how fat their bank account is to the public. The public has been defining their lifestyle, not them. At least that's how I see it.