General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry *was* getting money from his father as it was expected as full time working royals and that lasted until the March 31st cut off date or line in the sand if you prefer. After March 31st, we have absolutely no clue about finances, cost of security, handouts from Papa or how much money Harry and Megan believe is enough or not enough.

Remember too that any of this speculation of their lifestyles, their financial situation and even what they had for dinner last night does *not* directly come from them. These speculations are based on what "seems to be" as speculated on by less than credible sources that abound everywhere. The statements made about "financial independence" and making a "professional income" actually, when you really think about it, pertains to the MO of how they wish to proceed with any work they're going to do and at the time, actually related to their Sussex Royal they were working on. Nowhere is it stated that they want lotsa, lotsa green dollars for their own pocket. ;)

I call it as I see it. We all see things differently though and that is what makes for good, intelligent conversations and debates.

A professional income is not money for charity.....If they had wanted to set up some kind of funding for charities, the queen would not have told them that they had choose between in and out of the Royal working family. Charles uses his Duchy brand to raise money for charity.. and it is considered Ok.

Last edited:
A professional income is not money for charity.....

To run a not for profit foundation where income is generated is a professional income. ;)

"By definition, earned income is “any income that a person or company receives for work they have done.” For nonprofits, types of earned income can be from mission-related sales or from services sold."

https://nonprofithub.org/fundraisin...on is to teach young women business practices.

Example. One of Archewell's missions is to "promote the study and elimination and the effects on the planet of noseeums. For Meghan to go to the National Bug Preserves Association annual gala fest to speak on the noseeums and to be paid $643.000,05 plus travel expenses would be a professionally earned income for Archewell. This income would not be taxable. This is the main reason behind the reasoning that H&M cannot and will not use their HRH and royal status in anything related that they start up along these lines. ?

Last edited:
What is the difference between a foundation and a nonprofit organisation, I am not really up to speed with all this.
I could never understand why they could not just continue to live in the UK, lead a quieter life if that is what they wanted but still do some charitable work.
I do not think the RF would have had a problem with that,

"A private foundation is a non-profit charitable entity, which is generally created by a single benefactor, usually an individual or business. A public charity uses publicly-collected funds to directly support its initiatives. The only substantive difference between the two is the manner in which funds are acquired."

https://www.investopedia.com/financ...e foundation is a,in which funds are acquired.

Personally, I think it all revolves on how Harry and Meghan want to run their philanthropic work going into the future. The work with the Royal Foundation they did was a private foundation. Archewell seems to be going along the lines of creating a public foundation.

Last edited:
If all they wanted to do was to fund charities (ie donate to people in need).. they could have remained in the RF and done it. Setting up foundations to pay themselves for making speeches?? What is the point of that?

Difference is that a foundation distributes money but you dont take a salary from it. Basically they couldn't pay themselves with a foundation.

Difference is that a foundation distributes money but you dont take a salary from it. Basically they couldn't pay themselves with a foundation.

so then how could they pay themselves for making speeches?? It all sounds extremely convoluted to me.. (setting aside the fact that speeches don't do much good... "fine words butter no parsnips").

But they can take a salary if they should wish to from a non profit, so basically they will raise money for the charity then take a salary.
Thank you everybody

But they can take a salary if they should wish to from a non profit, so basically they will raise money for the charity then take a salary.
Thank you everybody

But why do they need a salary? If their intention in leaving the RF was to devote themselves to charity work full time, they could just buy a smaller house, live on their income and go to work for some existing charity, rather than setting up another one.

Another aspect is that it all boils down to one of the two certainties in life. Death and taxes. A lot of the work done, the expenses and such of a not for profit organization or foundation that it seems Archewell is heading towards as its mode of operation is those blessed tax exempt expenditures that comes from it. One way to keep money in the bank. We all do it where we can. Itemize and take deductions on our income tax forms to lower the amount of taxes we pay.

From my previous example of the noseeums, if Meghan during that venture to speak on them just happened to come across a very nice little Porsche that caught her eye and bought it, no way would that be considered a tax exempt part of her speaking engagement and travel to and fro from it. :D

Let me give another very clear example. The Girl Scouts of America. Its a not for profit organization that is huge here in the US. Not sure how the Girl Guide's program work in the UK.

"Girl Scouts of the United States of America, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the preeminent organization dedicated to helping all girls develop the confidence, determination and skills needed to thrive in today's world."

This organization also has plenty of employment opportunities for pay available as shown in this link. Of course, as a former Girl Scout leader of both Brownie and Daisy troops, we were all volunteers.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Girl-Scouts-USA-Salaries-E5458.htm

Last edited:
I dont think the two are mutually inclusive.
I feel that they are setting up Archewell - I have had many discussion about this and I have told if they have good advisors they will look at a foundation similar to Livestrong. Global reach and able to make money through donations, as well as sell books, training ect.
They might be able to draw a salary from the NGO but it will be difficult if not impossible for their lifestyle.
They will need to do other things as well. Completely money for them , they can donate a portion to Archewell to make nice of course.
Such as :
1. Write a book
2. Joining the speech rota
3. Setup a production house - to invest the current money to make more.
4. Paid for appearance and brand deals

But here is the problem - when you are creating a foundation that is so interlinkedwith who you are as an individual and as a couple you are setting yourself and your foundation up for a problem. Think about it - what has happened to Livestrong after the problems of Lance Armstrong. Compare it to Save the Children or Greenpeace - if their creators has a scandal - would it make any difference to the foundation?

I dont think the two are mutually inclusive.
I feel that they are setting up Archewell - I have had many discussion about this and I have told if they have good advisors they will look at a foundation similar to Livestrong. Global reach and able to make money through donations, as well as sell books, training ect.
They might be able to draw a salary from the NGO but it will be difficult if not impossible for their lifestyle.
They will need to do other things as well. Completely money for them , they can donate a portion to Archewell to make nice of course.
Such as :
1. Write a book
2. Joining the speech rota
3. Setup a production house - to invest the current money to make more.
4. Paid for appearance and brand deals

But here is the problem - when you are creating a foundation that is so interlinkedwith who you are as an individual and as a couple you are setting yourself and your foundation up for a problem. Think about it - what has happened to Livestrong after the problems of Lance Armstrong. Compare it to Save the Children or Greenpeace - if their creators has a scandal - would it make any difference to the foundation?

I do not think it is financially viable to have a foundation. Which in essence distributes funds to charities and in large part is self funding. NGO charities are different, pay their own way and also enable you to draw salaries.

I could never understand why they could not just continue to live in the UK, lead a quieter life if that is what they wanted but still do some charitable work.
I do not think the RF would have had a problem with that,

Two guesses:

1. Meghan prefers to live in North America (either Canada or the US) and feels more comfortable there than in the UK.

2. Both H & M saw the North American market as "better for business" (whether it is for profit or not for profit).

I don't think they ever had an intention to lead or cared about leading "a quieter life".

Last edited:
If they had truly wanted to have a "quieter life" they could have moved to Balmoral or Sandringham estates and had thousands of acres to stay private on, and it probably would have been much much cheaper!

Two guesses:

1. Meghan prefers to live in North America (either Canada or the US) and feels more comfortable there than in the UK.

2. Both H & M saw the North American market as "better for business" (whether it is for profit or not for profit).

I don't think they ever had an intention to lead or cared about leading "a quieter life".

I think that both of those guesses are close to the money. I never got the sense that Meghan enjoyed living in the UK or had many close friends there besides Harry. Her life and friends were in Canada and the US, and they seem to have drawn away from Harry's friend group. I also think that North America is much better for building their brand deal, especially in a place like LA with all the connections there. I think we're going to see them going the celebrity philanthropist route a la George Clooney and Angelina Jolie, and they can certainly build off the friends and connections that Meghan has, because she was very well connected even before the marriage.

I think that both of those guesses are close to the money. I never got the sense that Meghan enjoyed living in the UK or had many close friends there besides Harry. Her life and friends were in Canada and the US, and they seem to have drawn away from Harry's friend group. I also think that North America is much better for building their brand deal, especially in a place like LA with all the connections there. I think we're going to see them going the celebrity philanthropist route a la George Clooney and Angelina Jolie, and they can certainly build off the friends and connections that Meghan has, because she was very well connected even before the marriage.

And Meghan didn't appear to get on with his friend's wives. Wasn't there some comment from one of them. The UK wasn't what she expected it. The people are different. The culture is different. And being royal wasn't what she thought either. But unfortunately for her, she was the one coming into a new situation and it was for her to watch, learn how things are done, adapt and slowly introduce her changes. You get a job, take any place over. You watch for a year and then slowly you begin to change things.

And Meghan didn't appear to get on with his friend's wives. Wasn't there some comment from one of them. The UK wasn't what she expected it. The people are different. The culture is different. And being royal wasn't what she thought either. But unfortunately for her, she was the one coming into a new situation and it was for her to watch, learn how things are done, adapt and slowly introduce her changes. You get a job, take any place over. You watch for a year and then slowly you begin to change things.

The comment made by ONE friends wife was then met with a sharp reply of hers to the media about context etc. There's been nothing else to suggest there were issues with the wives.

LaRae

The comment made by ONE friends wife was then met with a sharp reply of hers to the media about context etc. There's been nothing else to suggest there were issues with the wives.

LaRae

Mmmm. Wasn't it Rose Astor? Type of person Meghan on paper would have gotten on with. She got caught out on SM, happens to everyone. We have no idea of the contrary either and in truth many of Harry's friends had moved on with their lives and weren't around anyway. Again these are very different women. I do feel for Meghan. I think she walked into a situation she was unprepared for and ill suited to.

Last edited:
Yes it was Rose and she's married to Hugh Van Cutsem (spelling?) ...the DM etc tried to make it seem like they were at war etc.

I think it's one thing to be around the B/F family while dating and everyone is on their best behavior and it's another to marry into the Family and enter into a very formal family type business where there are a lot of personalities and agendas. Then add in all their press offices and staff. It must of been a nightmare at times.

LaRae

Looking at various boards and forums that discuss them, it seems that their latest antics aren’t buying them the sympathy they hoped

Yes it was Rose and she's married to Hugh Van Cutsem (spelling?) ...the DM etc tried to make it seem like they were at war etc.

I think it's one thing to be around the B/F family while dating and everyone is on their best behavior and it's another to marry into the Family and enter into a very formal family type business where there are a lot of personalities and agendas. Then add in all their press offices and staff. It must of been a nightmare at times.

LaRae

Like anything else? It didn't work. But everyone should move on now or at least begin too. But it doesn't look like that is her plan.

Like anything else? It didn't work. But everyone should move on now or at least begin too. But it doesn't look like that is her plan.

Move on to what? Their primary source of money making opportunities is their “brand”which is special because it is Royal

Looking at various boards and forums that discuss them, it seems that their latest antics aren’t buying them the sympathy they hoped

The problem is if you're on boards like these you like the royal family. And they seem to be trying to undermine them.

Really? Well, I've just been on a forum a few minutes ago that is extremely sympathetic to Meghan (and Harry) and their situation. And it's a regular forum not a Royal one, (there are few forums completely devoted to royal families left on the Internet.)

Last edited:
I do not think it is financially viable to have a foundation. Which in essence distributes funds to charities and in large part is self funding. NGO charities are different, pay their own way and also enable you to draw salaries.

Again why do they need to draw a salary? People keep saying that they "didn't leave the RF to increase their personal income" but I feel its quite clear that they did. If it was just because they preferred to work in charities that they liked, they could have done so withot all these convolutions of setting up foundations and drawing salaries from them. How much of the money from this foundation will actually go to do good to people in need?

With the exception of a few pockets of die hard (imo crazy) fans who think Meghan is a saint who can do no wrong and everyone is it out to get her because she’s black, and the royal family is “Eeeevil” in their eyes; most people in those forums (not royal ones regular ones) have already been soured off the two of them back in January.

With the exception of a few pockets of die hard (imo crazy) fans who think Meghan is a saint who can do no wrong and everyone is it out to get her because she’s black, and the royal family is “Eeeevil” in their eyes; most people in those forums (not royal ones regular ones) have already been soured off the two of them back in January.

I think that Meg has always had detractors who were just hostile to her.. and were unfair in their criticism.. and she's unlucky that that sort of thing has ony cropped up in the last few years. But Kate also had a lot of detractors, perhaps not so many but when she married, the social media wasn't such a big thing.
But yes, I think that the January events have brought a lot more people to be critical of her, and of Harry, feeling that even if they had problems their decision to leave was badly done and wasn't' really necessary if all they wanted was a quiet life.
Some felt that if they hadn't wanted a public life, they should have said so before the marriage. And there has been a lot of criticism and cooling on them even by people who had liked them before...

There are Royal groups (not Meghan groups) that are not "Meghan is a saint fans" that support the Sussexes.

LaRae

Again why do they need to draw a salary? People keep saying that they "didn't leave the RF to increase their personal income" but I feel its quite clear that they did. If it was just because they preferred to work in charities that they liked, they could have done so withot all these convolutions of setting up foundations and drawing salaries from them. How much of the money from this foundation will actually go to do good to people in need?

They don't have enough money to run a foundation. Also it was a bit excessive for them to have a Sussex Royal Foundation. They should have had a joined one with a William and a Kate until he became Prince of Wales and then they could take it over. I mean what will happen to it now, become Kates? Dissolve? Real shame.

Last edited:
They don't have enough money to run a foundation.

They don't? How do you know this? What makes you draw this conclusion as a fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom