General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I don't know about you but I'd be pretty pissed off if my so called friends were blabbing about my personal life and hobbies to the media!

I definitely would be if I didn't give permission for them to do so. It would make me seriously question my taste in friends. I was going to say "at least these friends spoke anonymously", but actually - again, if they didn't get the OK from H and M - that's cowardly.

The “friendS” allegedly “sourced“ by the Daily Mail sounds more like interns used as a cover to fill their article quota. Funny article though where most is based on something Meghan wrote years ago.

I just can't believe that people take stories that they read in the British tabloids as gospel, as if journalists are incapable of exercising their considerable imaginations.

Strange how the Fail keeps insisting that it knows exactly what Meghan and Harry's plans for the future are, imparted, of course, by unnamed 'inside' sources. Sources that immediately confide in a tabloid rag loathed by the Sussexes and which is owned by a newspaper group they are suing.

This story has got about as much validity as the Sun portraying Liza Minelli as a new friend and mentor of Harry's in LA., a story that an annoyed Minelli condemned as a 'complete fabrication'. Like 99% of others that these papers print about the Sussex couple.

She’s talking to Oprah about this? The black community now hates Oprah and Gayle King for their silence on this and their rush to condemn black celebrities (While defending the white ones in some cases) in #metoo

No whoever the 'source' is decided that Oprah was the most believable thing. Because people know both Harry and Meghan have spoken to her.

This source is likely the mailman of the third cousin twice removed of a kid who went to day camp with Meghan when she was 5. The 'unnamed sources' always are. Or some other ridiculous non-connection. If it really was friends of the couple who were talking to the press their names would be included.

I laugh how easily some people take tabloids as truth.

I *know* something is not quite right about stories when people are quoted but not identified. "Sources close to the couple" "someone high up in the royal court" "insiders" and "friends" and even "the family dog" tells me its a way of inserting a speculation or a rumor or gossip and pinning a label on it to make it *seem* credible. The only book I've read by Lady Colin Campbell is filled to the brim with these and is why I refuse to take her seriously.

Nothing is happening in the Sussex world but "Harry and Meghan stayed home for two days" isn't going to sell very well. I'll wait until actual credible news is forthcoming to have an opinion on what they're doing these days. :D

I *know* something is not quite right about stories when people are quoted but not identified. "Sources close to the couple" "someone high up in the royal court" "insiders" and "friends" and even "the family dog" tells me its a way of inserting a speculation or a rumor or gossip and pinning a label on it to make it *seem* credible. The only book I've read by Lady Colin Campbell is filled to the brim with these and is why I refuse to take her seriously.

Nothing is happening in the Sussex world but "Harry and Meghan stayed home for two days" isn't going to sell very well. I'll wait until actual credible news is forthcoming to have an opinion on what they're doing these days. :D

Generally speaking with royals, sources are not named. So I woudnt' take it as evidence that the story isnt true.

If the tabloids really spoke to Meghan and Harry friends they woild have been named. This is not an organized crime or terrorism trial where revelations of sources would put them in mortal danger. It's either the tabloids made up the stories or they are hacking into the Sussexes' phones.

We don't know if any friends actually spoke to the tabloid or not or with permission or not in this case but "friends", actual friends and PR people named as "friends" have certainly spoken to the press before for many royals and many, many celebrities in general. Sometimes it's the royal or celebrity themselves who call the papers/magazine. Half the Wars of the Waleses and various issues between members of the BRF have involved unnamed sources briefing against each other. And journalists have gone on record years after saying sometimes it was the royal themselves.

Hell potentially part of the legal case that's happening involves the 5 unnamed friends who spoke to People Magazine. The question is not that they did so, but whether Meghan gave them permission and how that impacts on her legal case with her father.

In this particular case it's likely to be someone who talked to their next door neighbour's gardener or has seen them once on a walk or something if it's a person at all and not just fabricated entirely, but to say friends have to be named to be real or the story to have a hint of truth isn't in the slightest bit true.

Last edited:
We don't know if any friends actually spoke to the tabloid or not or with permission or not in this case but "friends", actual friends and PR people named as "friends" have certainly spoken to the press before for many royals and many, many celebrities in general. Sometimes it's the royal or celebrity themselves who call the papers/magazine. Half the Wars of the Waleses and various issues between members of the BRF have involved unnamed sources briefing against each other. And journalists have gone on record years after saying sometimes it was the royal themselves.

Hell potentially part of the legal case that's happening involves the 5 unnamed friends who spoke to People Magazine. The question is not that they did so, but whether Meghan gave them permission and how that impacts on her legal case with her father.

In this particular case it's likely to be someone who talked to their next door neighbour's gardener or has seen them once on a walk or something if it's a person at all and not just fabricated entirely, but to say friends have to be named to be real or the story to have a hint of truth isn't in the slightest bit true.

This! It’s like saying any story that quotes anonymous sources is false...

I don't think she can keep any of her titles and run for office anywhere in the US. Is there anyone who has ever done this?

Not in the US. She would have to be Meghan Markle to do so. I do not think that the RF would allow her to call herself Mountbatten-Windsor (too risky since it associates her political views with the RF) if she choose to run.

Also, it would be problematic in the current US political environment to do so while still being married to Harry. He is a Prince of the UK and owes loyalty to the UK crown (foreign country); as his spouse she would be viewed as having divided loyalties.

Plus, I do not think she can successfully run for any national office in the USA, she might at best run and win a local or state level race.

This! It’s like saying any story that quotes anonymous sources is false...

Except that some newspapers that print stories with anonymous sources are regarded as quite honest and reasonably reliable and others quite clearly are sensationalist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-destined-help-fight-systemic-racism-US.html

A career in Politics? If true, does she need permission from the Queen, or is she freelance now?

I would be surprised if she wanted to be a politician. Too much scrutiny, too much accountability. In my view, her ideal role would be an Oprah or A Jolie type role, with the ability to make a ton of money through various commerical initiatives, and have a social conscience / charitable "voice" as well. Her marriage to Harry and brief time to Harry, perhaps in her estimation, have given her the exposure and "brand" to be able to do that.

Not in the US. She would have to be Meghan Markle to do so. I do not think that the RF would allow her to call herself Mountbatten-Windsor (too risky since it associates her political views with the RF) if she choose to run.

Also, it would be problematic in the current US political environment to do so while still being married to Harry. He is a Prince of the UK and owes loyalty to the UK crown (foreign country); as his spouse she would be viewed as having divided loyalties.

Plus, I do not think she can successfully run for any national office in the USA, she might at best run and win a local or state level race.

Well the current US-President has a wife of foreign origin .. :whistling:

Are women again messured differently?

I don't think she can keep any of her titles and run for office anywhere in the US. Is there anyone who has ever done this?

The American Constitution does not recognize any foreign titles given to a citizen. If Meghan ran for office of any kind she must give up her honorary title and go by either her maiden name or marriage name. To be honest I think that this "wanting to be president" story is 100% fake news. Heavens her entire life will be brought into news under a microscope. Just can't conceive that awful mess. She would be so much better off getting into the film industry and promoting proper true documentaries on Black History or helping Harry with his SA documentaries. True history is lacking anymore in this world and they don't even teach anymore in most schools. Shame.

Quite different as she did not and never did run for office. Non issue. She would not be permitted to run on her own for president. Against the Constitution. Period

I would be surprised if she wanted to be a politician. Too much scrutiny, too much accountability. In my view, her ideal role would be an Oprah or A Jolie type role, with the ability to make a ton of money through various commerical initiatives, and have a social conscience / charitable "voice" as well. Her marriage to Harry and brief time to Harry, perhaps in her estimation, have given her the exposure and "brand" to be able to do that.

I agree that she probably does not actuaully want the responsibility of office... She would prefer to be a "figure of influence"....who is both wealthy and successful in business and also "has a social conscience" and is influential in the charity world....

The American Constitution does not recognize any foreign titles given to a citizen. If Meghan ran for office of any kind she must give up her honorary title and go by either her maiden name or marriage name. To be honest I think that this "wanting to be president" story is 100% fake news. Heavens her entire life will be brought into news under a microscope. Just can't conceive that awful mess. She would be so much better off getting into the film industry and promoting proper true documentaries on Black History or helping Harry with his SA documentaries. True history is lacking anymore in this world and they don't even teach anymore in most schools. Shame.

The press had a field day with Meghan and her... singular... family relations. Imagine how the press and her political opponents would handle a Meghan running for office!

IMO: Anonymous source = speculation/gossip.
We, the unfortunate readers, can't use it as anything more.

If the tabloids really spoke to Meghan and Harry friends they woild have been named. This is not an organized crime or terrorism trial where revelations of sources would put them in mortal danger. It's either the tabloids made up the stories or they are hacking into the Sussexes' phones.

No, they wouldn't. Even in the case where it has been confirmed that Meghan's friends talked to the press (the article in which her friends revealed the existence of a letter to her father), no names were included.

I don't expect any of their friends to talk to DM though; so highly unlikely that in this case her friends are the source. However, the fact that they talked before (and apparently weren't removed from their inner circle) does make it a bit more likely that they will talk again - but most likely in (informal) coordination with Harry and Meghan themselves.

Y'know what I've realized? That none of us in the general public really has any kind of clue as to who is included in their "inner circle" today. We know of friends and family invited to their wedding and we do know who they've been seen with on public occasions but as far as their "inner circle", we really don't have any kind of a real clue.

We assume though that seeing them with someone means they're friends but the closeness of the friendship remains a mystery to us. I'm of the belief that those that are intimate friends of the couple would be as tight lipped as the jar of pickles I've been trying unsuccessfully to open for three days now. :D

Last edited:
OK, in answer to a few PM questioning why I stated that President Trump's wife could not run for office is simple by American laws. To be President you MUST [1] be a NATURAL born citizen of the United States [2] at least 35 years old [3] have been a resident of the US for 14 years. Melania was not born in America. This was a real thorn in Arnold Schwarzenegger's side as he wanted to advance his political ambitions when his 2 terms as Calif. Governor was up but could only run for Senator and go no further. You can become a Federal Senator of your state if you are a naturalized citizen for at least 9 years. He didn't want to become a Freshman Senator without the top power he was used to so didn't run. He was told that he could never become president. These laws would not affect Meghan in any way as she was born in America.

Except that some newspapers that print stories with anonymous sources are regarded as quite honest and reasonably reliable and others quite clearly are sensationalist.

That’s fair, but it seems like every time any newspaper - not just the DM- claims anonymous “friends” that people say it’s just sensationalist trash.

OK, in answer to a few PM questioning why I stated that President Trump's wife could not run for office is simple by American laws. To be President you MUST [1] be a NATURAL born citizen of the United States [2] at least 35 years old [3] have been a resident of the US for 14 years. Melania was not born in America. This was a real thorn in Arnold Schwarzenegger's side as he wanted to advance his political ambitions when his 2 terms as Calif. Governor was up but could only run for Senator and go no further. You can become a Federal Senator of your state if you are a naturalized citizen for at least 9 years. He didn't want to become a Freshman Senator without the top power he was used to so didn't run. He was told that he could never become president. These laws would not affect Meghan in any way as she was born in America.

The discussion was about having a 'foreign spouse' and how that might negatively impact her run for office. Nobody suggested Harry would run for office - which would be comparable to Melania running for office (except for her not being a princess of Slovenia; while Harry is a prince of his home country).

Melania Trump is not in the line of succession to a foreign throne, which necessitates loyalty to that foreign country- Harry is.

THe president's wife does not hold office....

And the president's wife is and has been a naturalized US citizen for many years. Not only can Melania, when she's not First Lady, hypothetically run for anything she wants to except President (I assume she's been naturalized long enough to qualify for anything like the Senate), if someone tried to run for President (or possibly ANY public office) with any spouse who was not a US citizen or in the process of becoming so, it would be a very big, unremittingly huge issue. Let alone said spouse having princely rank.

Aside from the quiet fit BP would throw. I could easily see it as the title-stripping straw.

So, no, women are not treated differently in this respect.

And the president's wife is and has been a naturalized US citizen for many years. Not only can Melania,when she's not First Lady, hypothetically run for anything she wants to except President (I assume she's been naturalized long enough to qualify for anything like the Senate), if someone tried to run for President (or possibly ANY public office) with any spouse who was not a US citizen or in the process of becoming so, it would be a very big, unremittingly huge issue. Let alone said spouse having princely rank.

Aside from the quiet fit BP would throw. I could easily see it as the title-stripping straw.

So, no, women are not treated differently in this respect.

Melania can run for office whilst serving as First Lady. Hillary Clinton was BOTH First Lady and the junior US Senator from New York from January 3-20, 2001.

I would imagine if Meghan wanted to run for office she'd have to formally give up her title. It would be very difficult for the BRF to remain not just politically neutral but supposedly above politics if the Duchess of Sussex is running even for local office as a Democrat or even independent. And for the daughter in law of the future king it might still be difficult even if she completely goes back to her maiden name whilst still married.

That said, it is far more likely this article is rubbish and is just capitalizing on various current events, Meghan's reaction to it and the picture of Meghan the DM likes to paint. They're both much more likely to continue on the path of using their platforms to both make money to support their lifestyle and become society influencers like Oprah, the Clooneys, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bill and Melinda Gates et al (different scale altogether there but still).

Technically they have to remain out of politics in their own country. Like not voting or putting any undue influence on the politicians. Like the POW can not force through laws to benefit himself or his work.

The US is not a commonwealth country. Meghan's title is a courtesy anyways, one by marriage not one she holds herself. And not one recognized in the US. Her running for office would not be seen as using undue royal influence on the government as the royals. Its not the same as if she wanted to run for a position in the British parliament or even as a mayor or such in the UK.

The only issue would be when the president of the US makes a state visit to the UK. But any concern that Meghan having a political role might influence British trade with the US or such is a giant leap at best.

But again this 'she plans to run for politics' is tabloid fodder from some unknown source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom