The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
If the story is true, I'm glad that HM is being civil and is still opening family invitations to the Sussexes. I hope they get to go to Balmoral if the Coronavirus pandemic has settled down by then (which hopefully it should have, but who knows - some have said that it could resurge again later on in the year).
She'd never be anything less than civil; she's being extremely grandmotherly (though tough when she needs to be). During this whole thing, she has made it known to Harry and Meghan that they are loved by all and a part of their family; neither she nor Charles have indicated any resentment towards the Sussexes despite how everything has gone down. They've only ever wanted H and M's happiness, even if they were personally disappointed. It seems like Harry needs constant reassurance that no one was trying to push him aside, that he's still very much loved and valued......

Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

Okay, I'll play! Im one member who was rather surprised that Meghan returned with Harry this month. And I think at some point I stated that I thought she would never return to the UK.

I think that she/they need or want something and that their grand plans are in tatters.

So pile on me---tell me "i told you so" about her returning. You will still from me.

Their antics have become so cringeworthy that the only thing that still interests me is their legal battle with the DM (it is interesting litigation).

Old 03-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
If the story is true, I'm glad that HM is being civil and is still opening family invitations to the Sussexes. I hope they get to go to Balmoral if the Coronavirus pandemic has settled down by then (which hopefully it should have, but who knows - some have said that it could resurge again later on in the year).
Of course she is being "civil". Harry is her grandson and she loves him, and she may not get that many more chances of seeing him or Archie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
Okay, I'll play! Im one member who was rather surprised that Meghan returned with Harry this month. And I think at some point I stated that I thought she would never return to the UK.

I think that she/they need or want something and that their grand plans are in tatters.

So pile on me---tell me "i told you so" about her returning. You will still from me.

Their antics have become so cringeworthy that the only thing that still interests me is their legal battle with the DM (it is interesting litigation).
I am sure that it was unlikely that she would literally never return. They have charities here, they have to show wiling to keep up with their patronages, and there will be family visits. But I don't think she wanted to return for more than brief visits... They have not been gone very long and they were still within their time limit on being "royal workers" so they came back in March. And if they have trouble making a living in the US, who knows what may happen? But I don't believe it would be what Meg woud want....
Old 03-14-2020, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Thank you for your honesty & integrity!

I'm not happy with Harry and Meghan myself. I just don't subscribe to the evil-Meghan-who-destroys-everything-she-touches theory some members seem to hold. IMO she had a mistaken idea of what being a Royal is all about.

But I agree with you. I suspect Harry and Meghan are rethinking their plans. They lost their SussexRoyal brand and (as someone else pointed out) the Coronavirus scare might delay any plans they do have.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I believed she'd come for individual things..but I could see her not wanting to bring Archie on each visit. By the time of "Trooping", I expected she and H would be starting their career abroad.. I can't speak for all posters, I think she does not like the UK and does not want to live here again, but that does not preclude some visits.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I think I was among the number that thought she might never return, but part of that was based on the fact that it seemed like she - and Harry - had turned their backs on the BRF completely. I now acknowledge that, while some of that was based on simple facts (the Africa interview, the January fiasco and attendant website statement nonsense), some of it was also sheer speculation.

I don’t quite know where Meghan truly stands on the BRF personally, but it’s Harry’s family, and he seems to blow hot and cold...perhaps because it seems lime he thinks they don’t understand him. That’s why these personal
visits - with his grandma, his father, are so important...
Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

What facts???

If you were taking Facts from the January fiasco they stated:
-they were keeping Frogmore as a family base for when they visited
-that they planned to continue to support their British patronages
-they planned for their son to know his British family and heritage

These were the facts. The African video spoke of frustration, not of a hatred for the country and plans to never return to the country ever again.

It was tabloid 'rumor' that fed into people thinking Meghan would boycott the country. And even had posters on here suggesting she would never allow the queen or Charles to see Archie again.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
She'd never be anything less than civil; she's being extremely grandmotherly (though tough when she needs to be). During this whole thing, she has made it known to Harry and Meghan that they are loved by all and a part of their family; neither she nor Charles have indicated any resentment towards the Sussexes despite how everything has gone down. They've only ever wanted H and M's happiness, even if they were personally disappointed. It seems like Harry needs constant reassurance that no one was trying to push him aside, that he's still very much loved and valued......
I suspect the Queen has more insight into what Harry may feel and the forces driving him than any of us. She watched her younger sister struggle with the role of being the spare. She watched her second son struggle with the role of being the spare. She loved both of them, seemingly unconditionally, despite their trials and issues. I have no doubt that she loves Harry in much the same way and has a deeper understanding of why he’s taken this path based on her experience watching Margaret and Andrew trying to navigate similar positions.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if anyone believed she woud "never again set foot" in the UK.... She has got to come back at times.. and I said that she was a member of the queen's personal family.. but that's another matter to making a permanent return.
Quite a few stated so. Some very matter of factly. Clearly were wrong.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
What facts???

If you were taking Facts from the January fiasco they stated:
-they were keeping Frogmore as a family base for when they visited
-that they planned to continue to support their British patronages
-they planned for their son to know his British family and heritage

These were the facts. The African video spoke of frustration, not of a hatred for the country and plans to never return to the country ever again.

It was tabloid 'rumor' that fed into people thinking Meghan would boycott the country. And even had posters on here suggesting she would never allow the queen or Charles to see Archie again.
Did you really read my post? I said I believed that it seemed H and M had turned their backs on the BRF based on FACTS in the Africa interview (where she whined - against the backdrop of a continent struggling to survive - about not being supported) and the website/bombshell fiasco, where they were incredibly disrespectful to HM, Charles and the BRF in general. I admitted that I had been speculating at times - did you see that?

Quote:
I think I was among the number that thought she might never return, but part of that was based on the fact that it seemed like she - and Harry - had turned their backs on the BRF completely. I now acknowledge that, while some of that was based on simple facts (the Africa interview, the January fiasco and attendant website statement nonsense), some of it was also sheer speculation.

Sndrl:

Quote:
I suspect the Queen has more insight into what Harry may feel and the forces driving him than any of us. She watched her younger sister struggle with the role of being the spare. She watched her second son struggle with the role of being the spare. She loved both of them, seemingly unconditionally, despite their trials and issues. I have no doubt that she loves Harry in much the same way and has a deeper understanding of why he’s taken this path based on her experience watching Margaret and Andrew trying to navigate similar positions.
I agree completely, but I do also think his father and brother understand him more than he thinks. It seems to me that he sometimes lets his emotions get the best of him, and that he assumes decisions that they - and the Queen make - with regard to the Monarchy have anything to do their personal feelings about him (not being valued, etc.).

The problem with being the spare is that the heir has to spend a tremendous amount of time mentoring the future monarch, and so the poor younger sibling feels left out. If only the heir could spend some personal time with his or her son or daughter, maybe cut down on some engagements in order to do so. I agree with those who believe that a role needs to be created for the “spare”.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Did you really read my post? I said I believed that it seemed H and M had turned their backs on the BRF based on FACTS in the Africa interview

Sndrl:

The problem with being the spare is that the heir has to spend a tremendous amount of time mentoring the future monarch, and so the poor younger sibling feels left out. If only the heir could spend some personal time with his or her son or daughter, maybe cut down on some engagements in order to do so. I agree with those who believe that a role needs to be created for the “spare”.
there is a role for this particular "spare". As C has only 2 children and wants to keep things slim, he was very keen for him to be a full time royal and to have responsibility for the Commonwealth side of things. Charles is a workaholic and William has hinted that he wishes at times his father would slow down a bit, spend a bit more time with his grandchildren.. but Ch feels driven to work very hard. He wasn't great with the kids in early years because of the bad marriage but when Diana died I think he did try hard to make up for their losing her and to spend more time with them... Then they became adults and probably went through a phase of being busy with their own lives and not wanting Dad around. But he's tried his best, according to his lights to be there even if he's often busy. If Harry wants constant "well dones" after every thing he does... well.....
Old 03-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
there is a role for this particular "spare". As C has only 2 children and wants to keep things slim, he was very keen for him to be a full time royal and to have responsibility for the Commonwealth side of things. Charles is a workaholic and William has hinted that he wishes at times his father would slow down a bit, spend a bit more time with his grandchildren.. but Ch feels driven to work very hard. He wasn't great with the kids in early years because of the bad marriage but when Diana died I think he did try hard to make up for their losing her and to spend more time with them... Then they became adults and probably went through a phase of being busy with their own lives and not wanting Dad around. But he's tried his best, according to his lights to be there even if he's often busy. If Harry wants constant "well dones" after every thing he does... well.....
That’s true, there is a role for this spare - and I doubt that Charles hasn’t made that very clear to Harry. I was making the point in general, though.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I am not quite sure, contrary to the Crown, that Margaret suffered a great deal being the spare. The people who knew her have said the Crown got that wrong. She suffered because I think she was personality wise a bit unsuited for it. Very bohemian and would have liked a freer life. She was also grander than all the others. She was rather like her uncle in some respects. Andrew I think yes in recent years been a little petulant. Harry has always felt quite constrained by the royal life and he got married and that just did not work out really. It is a great shame because for all that had been said, some of it probably true, Meghan is apparently always professional, prepared and impressive when she does events. It could have been so different and as time stretches on I am struggling to see how the media could be the ones to drive them out. It seems short sighted and bolting like. They were incredibly popular on events. But you know there were also aspects of being bulls in China shops. Even beginning with announcing her pregnancy to the family at Eugenie's wedding...if true a total faux pas. The tiara. The constant speaking true sources and on and on. But it could, have been different because she was good at events. Briefed, informed, charismatic. Sad really.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I media could be the ones to drive them out. It seems short sighted and bolting like. They were incredibly popular on events. But you know there were also aspects of being bulls in China shops. Even beginning with announcing her pregnancy to the family at Eugenie's wedding...if true a total faux pas. The tiara. The constant speaking true sources and on and on. But it could, have been different because she was good at events. Briefed, informed, charismatic. Sad really.
I don't have any sympathy for Margo or Andrew.... both of them were outrageously spoiled..
And Im half thinking that perhaps Harry is also spoiled.. I feel a bit sorry for him, but at times I feel that he is just bull headed and wanted out to go his own way. Well now he has it. And I don't think that Meghan's leaving is that sad.. I think she may have put on a good performance..but if she's not "happy and thriving", she was going to be difficult... THey wanted out, they have gotten out.. they have their own way as much as anyone can.... I feel a bit sorry for Charles, Will and the queen who have to pick up the pieces and fill the gap...
Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't have any sympathy for Margo or Andrew.... both of them were outrageously spoiled..
And Im half thinking that perhaps Harry is also spoiled.. I feel a bit sorry for him, but at times I feel that he is just bull headed and wanted out to go his own way. Well now he has it. And I don't think that Meghan's leaving is that sad.. I think she may have put on a good performance..but if she's not "happy and thriving", she was going to be difficult... THey wanted out, they have gotten out.. they have their own way as much as anyone can.... I feel a bit sorry for Charles, Will and the queen who have to pick up the pieces and fill the gap...
I think they are all spoiled. Let's be honest. It comes out more in some though...Margaret, Andrew, David, Harry. And yes it is sad for the ones who have to fill the gaps and probably for some who saw their lives as different. But Meghan was good...but alas it seems only when performing. She didnt get the memomi

It is a life long performance.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think they are all spoiled. Let's be honest. It comes out more in some though...Margaret, Andrew, David, Harry. And yes it is sad for the ones who have to fill the gaps and probably for some who saw their lives as different. But Meghan was good...but alas it seems only when performing. She didnt get the memomi

It is a life long performance.
I think Charles did go too easy on Will and Harry when they were kids, because of Di's death. He let them get away with too much.. However William seemed to mature a bit and while he is probably not that crazy about the burdens of Royal life he's accepted it... But Harry IMO didn't... I though that he had matured to an extent in latter years but Im starting to believe no.
I think with meghan being unhappy here it fed his original desire to get out. But he saw himself being a Park ranger somewhere, now he's a married man with a family and his wife clearly wants them to make a good living...
Old 03-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I think Charles did go too easy on Will and Harry when they were kids, because of Di's death. He let them get away with too much.. However William seemed to mature a bit and while he is probably not that crazy about the burdens of Royal life he's accepted it... But Harry IMO didn't... I though that he had matured to an extent in latter years but Im starting to believe no.
I think with meghan being unhappy here it fed his original desire to get out. But he saw himself being a Park ranger somewhere, now he's a married man with a family and his wife clearly wants them to make a good living...
Harry never had a realistic opinion on what the other side looked like because while he bemoaned his position. He took full and hearthy advantages of the benefits. He could no more have been a park ranger than a doctor. He has always been dissatisfied with things and uneasy and I dont think it will change.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Harry never had a realistic opinion on what the other side looked like because while he bemoaned his position. He took full and hearthy advantages of the benefits. He could no more have been a park ranger than a doctor. He has always been dissatisfied with things and uneasy and I dont think it will change.
Precisely. I think that Charles spoiled him.. and he always seemed to me to have a more "outrageous" side than his brother had. Both of them were spoiled - both of them were rather Hooray Henries in youth.. but WIll gradually grew into a steady relationship with Kate.. and marriage and royal life... (IMO Harry could be more unpleasant at times.. but I thought he improved in the army).
And he was free and able to do what he liked within reason for a longer time than Will who had married life, and the oncoming of Royal life to steady him.
I think Harry dreamed at times of "freedom"... He has no idea what life's like outside the RF.. and though he talked about being a park ranger, I suspect he would never have left.. but Meghan's unhappiness and/or her desire to get out to have a freeer life nd make money (it could be boht) pushed Harry to leave. But he's not going to be a park ranger.. He will probably follow M's lead on what they should do to make a living...
Old 03-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Well, from a marketing perspective: This is good advertisement for the Sussexes brand.
Yes. The level of visibility that Harry and Meghan have now is based entirely on their connection to the British Royal Family. I’ve not seen anything from either of them that would indicate they have the enormous amount of talent, intelligence and drive needed to maintain, or supersede, their current level of fame and opportunity without continuing to regularly remind the public of their royal connection.

So, they’ll be “just Harry is fine” and “just call me Meghan” except when they take to Instagram to show us previously unseen pictures of them with The Queen at their wedding to celebrate their own anniversary, or a new royal group shot from Archie’s christening to mark his birthday, etc.

And of course they’ll be at Trooping the Colour and at Balmoral most years, (with one or two of their chosen propagandists in tow to make sure everyone knows how caring and special in an undefinable way they’re being). They can’t let the royal tank run on empty.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Yes. The level of visibility that Harry and Meghan have now is based entirely on their connection to the British Royal Family. I’ve not seen anything from either of them that would indicate they have the enormous amount of talent, intelligence and drive needed to maintain, or supersede, their current level of fame and opportunity without continuing to regularly remind the public of their royal connection.

So, they’ll be “just Harry is fine” and “just call me Meghan” except when they take to Instagram to show us previously unseen pictures of them with The Queen at their wedding to celebrate their own anniversary, or a new royal group shot from Archie’s christening to mark his birthday, etc.

And of course they’ll be at Trooping the Colour and at Balmoral most years, (with one or two of their chosen propagandists in tow to make sure everyone knows how caring and special in an undefinable way they’re being). They can’t let the royal tank run on empty.
Are you saying that is why they will come home, botht of them, on a regular basis? To remind everyone of their royal connextions?

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry