The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Yeah I am also curious what is so "obvious" that Meghan wants back into acting. We haven't seen this woman doing anything to indicated such a thing. Unless I missed something? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Actresses do like to act.. but I suspect Meghan is shrewd enugh to know that if she were to resume acting, she might find that people just come to see her because she's a princess. (at least I think she's shrewd in some respects). If she can make money with Harry giving speeches and selling things, why put herself out to acting jobs again?

Old 03-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Actresses do like to act.. but I suspect Meghan is shrewd enugh to know that if she were to resume acting, she might find that people just come to see her because she's a princess. (at least I think she's shrewd in some respects). If she can make money with Harry giving speeches and selling things, why put herself out to acting jobs again?
Meghan also made it no secret that acting wasn't even her first passion. People love to project all kind of stuff on her but seem to be oblivious about many things of her, especially stuff she has actually said out her mouth.

The NY Post (which is basically the US version of the Daily Mail) just tossing out anything hoping it will stick. I am sure next week she will be starring in a new romantic comedy opposite Ryan Reynolds because he liked her post on IG.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
people just come to see her because she's a princess
did he ever do any actual [professional] Theatre work.. I thought just TV ?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It may just be me, but to me "shrewd" has an extremely negative connotation. Like she does everything pre-meditaded. Like a gold-digger.. And I never got the feeling she married Harry just for fame and money. She is probably smart enough thoughto understand certain things are off limits, but I don't really think she's in it for the money. If she were after money, she'd be far better off marrying someone unknown but wealthy. And I bet there are plenty of wealthy men out there who would have loved to have married her.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The Dictionary definition of 'Shrewd' :

having or showing sharp powers of judgement; astute.

"she was shrewd enough to guess the motive behind his gesture"
Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Dictionary definition of 'Shrewd' :

having or showing sharp powers of judgement; astute.

"she was shrewd enough to guess the motive behind his gesture"
That might be the dictionary definition, but to most people it has a far more negative connotation.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
but to most people it has a far more negative connotation.
Possibly abroad, it may do, but here in the UK , its a word without 'loaded' connotations.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Nobility

It's usually used in a complimentary sense here - usually "shrewd businessman/woman".
Old 03-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Possibly abroad, it may do, but here in the UK , its a word without 'loaded' connotations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It's usually used in a complimentary sense here - usually "shrewd businessman/woman".
Unfortunately not where I live and in combination with all the negativity I've read about Meghan I'm a little wary of words that can have possible negative connotations. Especially if it isn't immediately clear to me if it's positive or negative.

I've seen people (mostly elsewhere) almost literally make things up just to get a dig at her.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
That might be the dictionary definition, but to most people it has a far more negative connotation.
Maybe where you live, but in America it has a good connotation - it’s a good thing to be shrewd.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Maybe where you live, but in America it has a good connotation - it’s a good thing to be shrewd.
I really think it depends on which part of America you're referencing. Yes, shrewd can be a positive attribute. However, it can also have pretty negative connotations. Honestly, shrewdness in someone climbing the corporate ladder could be seen as a good thing. But, when I see the word shrewd, my first reaction is that the person must be calculating, self-important, and a real b****. I guess it's sort of along the same lines as describing someone as "tough and no-nonsense." Yes, in some areas those could be seen as positive attributes but in a lot of areas they're seen as more polite ways to describe someone who really needs to come down off their high horse and realize that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Yeah I am also curious what is so "obvious" that Meghan wants back into acting. We haven't seen this woman doing anything to indicated such a thing. Unless I missed something? Please correct me if I am wrong.
I took Harry’s pitch at The Lion King premiere as a BIG indication. One can say, “oh, but that was for a voice over” part. Harry said on the video, “she’s really interested”. He would know. With that, I do believe her agent/husband can open doors....
Old 03-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I really think it depends on which part of America you're referencing. Yes, shrewd can be a positive attribute. However, it can also have pretty negative connotations. Honestly, shrewdness in someone climbing the corporate ladder could be seen as a good thing. But, when I see the word shrewd, my first reaction is that the person must be calculating, self-important, and a real b****. I guess it's sort of along the same lines as describing someone as "tough and no-nonsense." Yes, in some areas those could be seen as positive attributes but in a lot of areas they're seen as more polite ways to describe someone who really needs to come down off their high horse and realize that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Hmm, I don't think that way of the word...I think of the person as smart and clever. I DO think a lot depends on context......what an interesting word!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Hmm, I don't think that way of the word...I think of the person as smart and clever. I DO think a lot depends on context......what an interesting word!
It sure is an interesting word....most people I think of when applying that word usually has a personal gain for them, sometimes good/sometimes seedy.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I took Harry’s pitch at The Lion King premier as a BIG indication. One can say, “oh, but that was for a voice over” part. Harry said on the video, “she’s really interested”. He would know. With that, I do believe her agent/husband can open doors....
Bob Iger spoke on a red carpet about said video and said the conversation was about a project they were doing. I would guess it’s the voiceover for Elephants. I think they would know over us trying to figure out gossip. So I agree with you that her husband and the CEO would know.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
It sure is an interesting word....most people I think of when applying that word usually has a personal gain for them, sometimes good/sometimes seedy.
I found this bit:

Quote:
The word shrewd is from a Middle English adjective formed from the noun schrewe "an evil person, a villain." This Middle English noun is an earlier form of our modern English word shrew. So shrewd and shrew are related to each other. Shrewd doesn't usually have a disapproving or negative tone, but shrew certainly does

I just think it’s the way people interpret it. In doing my research, there was some discussion comparing “shrewd” and “cunning”. Shrewd is the positive version of cunning, I think, as people with these qualities are considered sharp and clever, but someone who is cunning is thought to be devious as well.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

A word used to describe a man often is viewed in a more positive light than when used to describe a woman.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:55 AM
Courtier

Well, I’m glad HM and Harry met, and of course she was going to keep the door open. I’m also glad that, while loving, she made it clear why she wouldn’t let them use “Royal”. Everyone in his family loves and misses Harry - he needs to know that even if he’s feeling upset at them. I’m glad, even if Archie doesn’t come, that the family will get to spend some time together.

Quote:
“However she also wanted to make it clear that the arrangement can only work if they do not exploit their royal status and try to ‘cash in’ — that’s why she wouldn’t let them use the word ‘royal’ for their foundation.

“The Queen is protecting the institution and she is also aware of the cost of security.

“That is something that still needs to be resolved. But Harry is also a much-loved grandson who she has always doted on.

“She made it very clear to him that he and Meghan are always able to come back if they change their minds and she will welcome them with open arms.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/110843...eart-to-heart/
Old 03-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I hope Archie hasn't been left in Canada so that he can see his grandparents. They haven't seen much of him at all since he was born as far as the public are aware.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I hope Archie hasn't been left in Canada so that he can see his grandparents. They haven't seen much of him at all since he was born as far as the public are aware.
Didn’t Archie’s grandmother spend the Christmas holidays w/ him? Charles, of course, is very busy, William has described him as being very good with his grandchildren but not around as much as William would like because Charles is such a workaholic.
I’m sure Archie’s great grandparents, QEII & Prince Phillip, will miss seeing how much he’s grown since they last saw him - if Archie doesn’t join his parents in the U.K..

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry