The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Majesty

I think @Mirabel has a point. It is not so much about being close friends with a particular journalist or another, but as a public figure, Meghan needs to learn to carry the journalists with her.

Take the case of Camilla. She appreciates that as the future Queen and with her chequered history, she needs the media on her side. There was a recent article about how she met him a few times recently at various events, including a charity event at Winfield House, and he was completely charmed by the lady.

Meghan will do well to learn from those around her in the BRF.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think @Mirabel has a point. It is not so much about being close friends with a particular journalist or another, but as a public figure, Meghan needs to learn to carry the journalists with her.

Take the case of Camilla. She appreciates that as the future Queen and with her chequered history, she needs the media on her side. There was a recent article about how she met him a few times recently at various events, including a charity event at Winfield House, and he was completely charmed by the lady.

Meghan will do well to learn from those around her in the BRF.
Meghan will do well to do what is best for her and that obviously doesn't include befriending "journalists" nor should it, imo. That was never going to be the solution for her.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Meghan will do well to do what is best for her and that obviously doesn't include befriending "journalists" nor should it, imo. That was never going to be the solution for her.
You may note that I am not at all suggesting that she befriends journalists, she should just try and not antagonsie them.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You may note that I am not at all suggesting that she befriends journalists, she should just try and not antagonsie them.
Deciding not to befriend or have a relationship with them is not antagonizing them. And that is essentially the issue here.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Right. Meghan is actually more cordial of the young royals toward media at her events.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

What exactly has Meghan done to any journalist? We have seen her friendly when they interact. People using this one person who spews his version of events for web clicks and tv rating knowing she can’t defend herself says it all. If someone can provide an example outside of this particular media face who didn’t seem to care until October 2016, then I might can understand this critique.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
However, no one ever reported that the Gloucesters actually offered their home.

It's simply the media thinking it's available because, supposedly, they offered it to the Cambridges years ago. We still don't how true that is, and certainly, many things could've changed that even if they did.

And btw, why do people assume that 30 some year olds with a newborn could just simply move into a home that's been occupied by empty nesters in their 70s? And of course, another accommodation would've to be found for Gloucesters with renovations if they moved out. Do people expect The Queen to just toss her cousins out onto the streets?
Today's news is that they are moving out. A different building within the grounds of Kensington Palace is being prepared for them, so they will move out later this year.

So yes, there is a lot of credibility to the story that the Gloucesters were willing to let Harry & Meghan take Apartment 1. They didn't take up that offer but it seems it was made.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Nobility

I like that Meghan prepares for her work & just does it, reminds me of Princess Anne. There’s no need to court certain media. There are some honest journalists who are professional & respectful who can surely appreciate a hardworking person like Meghan. Harry said in his engagement interview that he felt so fortunate to meet someone like Meghan as a partner in life & work, together they make an fantastic team.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Where is the general goodwill, the basic well-willingness in British media? All this vitriol splashed out in British media, from Camilla to "Princess Pushy", from Diana to "Meghan Kardashian". Good heavens. I thought the British were balanced, gentlemanlike, well-behaved and would rather stiffen the upper lip than spout verbal diarrhoea. It seems I was so wrong. British media never fail to surprise me with their vile nastiness, their zest to inject poisonous evil in society. It is beyond belief.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Please explain how she is has antagonized anyone. I’m truly curious because I’ve yet to see her utter a word despite the ongoing campaign attacking her.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Today's news is that they are moving out. A different building within the grounds of Kensington Palace is being prepared for them, so they will move out later this year.

So yes, there is a lot of credibility to the story that the Gloucesters were willing to let Harry & Meghan take Apartment 1. They didn't take up that offer but it seems it was made.
Even if the Gloucesters are moving, it doesnít mean that their current home isnít in need of renovations. Frogmore Cottage was going to be renovated regardless of whether the Sussexes moved there or not.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
Even if the Gloucesters are moving, it doesnít mean that their current home isnít in need of renovations. Frogmore Cottage was going to be renovated regardless of whether the Sussexes moved there or not.
I don't believe anybody is questioning the pointless sensationalising by the tabloids. Not only will the old and new homes of the Gloucesters need to have money spent on them, so will FC, irrespective of who uses them.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

They are still living there and it will not be ready until later this year. Timing wise, it makes no sense. In fact, Sussexes started the renovation on Frogmore months before the renovation for the Gloucesters' new home started.

Nevertheless, no credible reports were ever made that the Gloucesters offered to move out at that time. The only report during that time was what Princess Michael of Kent said around the time Cambridges were looking for a home in London. And no, we don't know if specific offers were made to the Sussexes as we have no idea when or how this decision came about.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
Yes... Jacqui challenged the idea that it was available. Clearly it was.

And both will need renovation although as Frogmore Cottage in 'recent years' had been used for staff; it would not have needed a complete overhaul had it not been for Harry and Meghan.

We still have to see what will happen to Apartment 1 (a renovation might be more than the renovation of FC - depending on the future occupants; but if it was destined as living quarters for a prominent royal couple they will have a hard time finding someone else now Harry and Meghan turned it down).
Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Where is the general goodwill, the basic well-willingness in British media? All this vitriol splashed out in British media, from Camilla to "Princess Pushy", from Diana to "Meghan Kardashian". Good heavens. I thought the British were balanced, gentlemanlike, well-behaved and would rather stiffen the upper lip than spout verbal diarrhoea. It seems I was so wrong. British media never fail to surprise me with their vile nastiness, their zest to inject poisonous evil in society. It is beyond belief.
Please don't imagine that we're all like the worst of our media because we aren't. I could write a long post about aspects of our media & what their owners & editors have to gain from bashing the royal family (particularly the women) but it wouldn't be deemed appropriate for this forum & would be deleted.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
They are still living there and it will not be ready until later this year. Timing wise, it makes no sense. In fact, Sussexes started the renovation on Frogmore months before the renovation for the Gloucesters' new home started.

Nevertheless, no credible reports were ever made that the Gloucesters offered to move out at that time. The only report during that time was what Princess Michael of Kent said around the time Cambridges were looking for a home in London. And no, we don't know if specific offers were made to the Sussexes as we have no idea when or how this decision came about.
Temporary solutions could have been found, had the decision been to take Apartment 1.

And I don't believe that they did not take all into account last year. Of course, they knew that the Gloucesters were to move that wasn't something that came up after Harry and Meghan decided on moving to FC - that surely was on the table. The renovation of FC most likely was sped up because of the pregnancy.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Temporary solutions could have been found, had the decision been to take Apartment 1.

And I don't believe that they did not take all into account last year. Of course, they knew that the Gloucesters were to move that wasn't something that came up after Harry and Meghan decided on moving to FC - that surely was on the table. The renovation of FC most likely was sped up because of the pregnancy.
How do we know it was surely on the table? My understanding is that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester have been living there as empty nesters for awhile. If they decided against moving years ago, we obviously don't know what happened to cause it. So, no, we don't know how that was to be handled in regard to the Sussexes. If they had to speed up the renovation at FC, it definitely wouldn't have made sense with Apartment 1.

As we saw with FC, renovations and plans start quickly once a couple decides to move. And the renovation for the Gloucesters' new apartment only started in January. They obviously don’t just sit around and get to it whenever on this front.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps The Sussexes didn't want to live at KP which may to them have more of a fishbowl feel as compared to FC which seems to be much more private.

I do wonder if The Gloucesters place will be used for offices and/or quarters for staff etc? I'm sure it will need a rehab before another family moved in and I can't imagine Eugenie/Beatrice being offered to live there with their families (when they have them). Going to be a long time before any of the Cambridge kids would live there (if ever).

Is it possible The Sussexes would get FC and The Gloucesters apartments both?

LaRae
Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Commoner

Is "Hello!" the only magazine reporting on this?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am of the mind that when the Crown Estate puts financial backing into renovation and repairs of its properties, its actually not with specific royals in mind but pertaining more to need of the property itself to keep them sustainable and livable into the future. Usually its far easier to go in and do a revamp of a property when it is between residents or empty but, as we see with Buckingham Palace, its being done bit by bit over a 10 year period.

From what I've read, one *third* of the Sovereign Grant is allocated to the maintenance of Crown Estate properties which is defined as "The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it the "Sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate."

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry